PDA

View Full Version : UV Protective Cycling Wear

SpokeValley
04-17-2016, 09:14 AM
One of my cycling buddies from way back has trouble with solar keritosis and pretty much needs to wear long sleeves and tights over sunblock all year.

He's primarily a mtb rider.

But he lives in TX and he hasn't yet found any cycling products that block the solar and are comfortable in the summer.

Anyone have suggestions?

bikerider888
04-17-2016, 09:23 AM
Pearl izumi sun sleeves are great, I use them when I'll be out in the hot sun instead of sunscreen. Especially for long days outside, no washing off and actually feels cooler. Haven't tried the knee sleeves yet but want to.

Most modern jersey/shorts have a UPF rating these days.

parallelfish
04-17-2016, 09:52 AM
I am very happy with the Boure and Voler long sleeve summer jerseys.

Vientomas
04-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Boure SPF long sleeve jerseys work well for me.

ultraman6970
04-17-2016, 10:15 AM
Always he can move to Alaska :D

malcolm
04-17-2016, 10:49 AM
Depending on where he is in Texas. If in the southern half of the state only two places are hotter New Orleans and hell.

If heat is the issue maybe look at some of the base layers fishermen use. I've got a friend that captains a boat in Costa Rica and he is covered head to toe.
I'm in central Alabama and mostly mountain bike and I tried summer type base layers but just couldn't tolerate them in the heat and humidity. They at least seemed to make everything worse.

His only choice may be frequent application of a good sunblock with maybe zinc oxide on the most vulnerable spots

Exonerv
04-17-2016, 10:51 AM
Actually, the UV in AK during the summer can be quite intense...and, depending on your location, can go on for 19+ hours per day.

fiamme red
04-17-2016, 11:04 AM
I always use the Voler Sol Skin Arm UV Protectors in hot weather. I highly recommend them. Voler also makes leg protectors from the same material.

http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1240182

http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1240231

Kucharik arm warmers (made from Coolmax®) also keep the sun from burning my arms, without feeling hot.

http://www.kucharikclothing.com/arm-warmers-coolmax-lycra-colors-p-303.html

p nut
04-17-2016, 11:04 AM
I am very happy with the Boure and Voler long sleeve summer jerseys.

I've used Boure for a few years and love the LS jersey. Full zip gives me some control of temperature control so that's a plus.

I also just bought Voler. It's 60% of the price of Boure. I haven't tested it out since we're still a ways from full on summer. The fabric doesn't seem as nice as Boure but still light. The bottom elastic seems fairly tight as well (and I'm pretty skinny). Hopefully it works out. Sales people at Voler were also very helpful as well.

bikinchris
04-17-2016, 12:46 PM
Actually, the UV in AK during the summer can be quite intense...and, depending on your location, can go on for 19+ hours per day.

I love how people compare the sun intensity in places like Alaska to south Texas. In south Texas (and Louisiana, the gulf coast and Florida), the sun intensity in the dead of winter is more intense during the middle of the day than an Alaskan summer. Yes, the days are far longer in Alaska, but the sun never gets very high in the sky.

djg21
04-17-2016, 02:50 PM
Pearl izumi sun sleeves are great, I use them when I'll be out in the hot sun instead of sunscreen. Especially for long days outside, no washing off and actually feels cooler. Haven't tried the knee sleeves yet but want to.

Most modern jersey/shorts have a UPF rating these days.

I used the PI sun sleeves and knee sleeves after surgeries left scars all over my knee, and I had the keep the scars out of the sun. They were pretty bearable even in pretty hot weather.

rnhood
04-17-2016, 03:15 PM
The sun sleeves (DeSoto, PI, etc) work great. I use them in the middle of summer in Florida without any issues. Once the temperature gets to about 88 and above, I keep then wet with a water bottle. I have to stop more often and refill since I drinking constantly too, but I can keep on riding until the temp gets above 100 then usually stop riding. Over 100 it even gets tough to breath since the Florida air is often humid.