PDA

View Full Version : Campy 11 - Silver BB Cups?`

ptourkin
04-16-2016, 05:03 PM
My friend just got this sweet Land Shark. She went with Athena 11 to get silver components to go with the Thomson cockpit, etc.. The only things that need to change are the seatpost clamp, which is no problem and the bb cups. The shop installed a Campy BB with the new greenish cups. Is there a silver option she can go with without swapping out for a CK? Thanks

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p250/cecilhayduke/20160415_083743.jpg

FlashUNC
04-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Nope.

kramnnim
04-16-2016, 05:24 PM
Black SR cups would look okay, better than the greenish.

bigbill
04-16-2016, 05:56 PM
That's what you get with PT. If it's not a UT crankset, you'd have a hard time finding English silver cups. I've got an alloy Athena UT crankset with silver cups but I bought it two years ago. Now with PT, you're kind of limited.

If it's UT, SR cups aren't the same as Record cups, they lack an inner seal that's not needed with CULT bearings.

campy man
04-16-2016, 06:01 PM
If I understand correctly the greenish cups are better than silver ... tighter tolerances.

Hoping Old Potatoe chimes in to verify :help:

rwsaunders
04-16-2016, 06:14 PM
That's a great looking build.

cinema
04-16-2016, 06:25 PM
i have no idea but it's so very pretty.

cadence90
04-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Black SR cups would look okay, better than the greenish.

If I understand correctly the greenish cups are better than silver ... tighter tolerances.

Hoping Old Potatoe chimes in to verify :help:
I don't think silver P-T cups are available either, but I'll leave that to the spudmaestro to bless.

Here are 2 threads where the gnocchi-man discusses U-T cups (I do not know if the color "qualities" are the same in U-T versus P-T, but I would guess so).

Cliff's Notes:
U-T silver color (1st gen) = lower tolerances/creaky.
U-T gold color (2nd gen) = better.
U-T green color (3rd gen) = best/tightest tolerances, as campyman also stated above..
U-T SR black color = avoid/fewer seals.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=184776&highlight=greenish+cups

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=161260&highlight=greenish+cups.
Beautiful, elegant bike, by the way.

kramnnim
04-16-2016, 07:13 PM
But you can pop the seals out of the greenish cups and put them in the nice black SR cups...

cadence90
04-16-2016, 07:16 PM
I see. I didn't know that. If that's possible, and the black is important, OK then.

thwart
04-16-2016, 07:18 PM
The sad fact of the matter is that the original UT cups were a nice low luster silver, but some had problems with loose tolerances. Last time I checked Ben @ VeloMine still had some italian threaded ones left.

Subsequent generation was 'gold-ish', and the latest ones are a dull sort of metallic olive color... I assume to more closely match the current dark gray tones of Campy's higher end groups.

So... they've completely neglected the silver alloy Athena fans. :confused:

Campagnolo certainly could do a run of silver UT cups (or PowerTorque cups).

Maybe we need to start a petition.

thirdgenbird
04-16-2016, 07:20 PM
But you can pop the seals out of the greenish cups and put them in the nice black SR cups...

that appears to be a power torque crankset. If so, it won't manner.

I also vote you polish that campy seatpost clamp.

cadence90
04-16-2016, 07:22 PM
Campagnolo certainly could do a run of silver UT cups.

Yes, but the OP is looking for silver P-T cups. Not available, AFAIK.

that appears to be a power torque crankset. If so, it won't manner.
Exactly.

ultraman6970
04-16-2016, 08:15 PM
"without swapping out for a CK?"

??

Ck that I know of never made UT cups or PT cups. Or they did?

oldpotatoe
04-17-2016, 06:08 AM
"without swapping out for a CK?"

??

Ck that I know of never made UT cups or PT cups. Or they did?

No. PowerTorque cups are one generation, and of the greenish color. CK nor anybody else made BB cups for either UT or PT Campagnolo cranks.

As has been mentioned, last gen UT cups were the greenish color, best cups and tightest tolerances.

Caballero
04-17-2016, 06:25 AM
A local shop removed the annodizing and polished a pair of UT cups for a show bike.
Not the same as pt but I guess you could do the same.

ultraman6970
04-17-2016, 09:13 AM
There;s an asian company that lists english threaded UT cups (ebay).

No. PowerTorque cups are one generation, and of the greenish color. CK nor anybody else made BB cups for either UT or PT Campagnolo cranks.

As has been mentioned, last gen UT cups were the greenish color, best cups and tightest tolerances.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2016, 11:15 AM
There;s an asian company that lists english threaded UT cups (ebay).

Link? No necessarily doubting but a search doesn't show any non Campag ones made in China. Now, replacement bearings for PowerTorque and some for UltraTorque indeed made in China but branded as Campagnolo.

ultraman6970
04-17-2016, 02:08 PM
:( this sucks had them in my list of ebay items watching and I even wrote them an email last year, no answer obviously :/

Price was like 47 dollars tho.. at that price doubt the product was going to sell.

I think was this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TriPeak-Integrated-BB-Bottom-Bracket-Cup-for-Campagnolo-Ultra-Torque-CrankSet-/221486680581?hash=item3391a28a05:g:S4EAAOSwwNVTuWM V

ptourkin
04-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Thanks everyone.

cadence90
04-17-2016, 03:16 PM
What am I missing? What would be the appeal of those TriPeak U-T bbs at $75.00 over Campagnolo Record or S-R U-T bbs for +/- $20.00 from Planet Cyclery?

ultraman6970
04-17-2016, 06:07 PM
It is not, and thats the point, doesnt make any sense at all. Wrote them an email like a year + ago asking them for a sample to try and then post my findings... obviously did not get any answer, but being a chinese company doesnt surprise me at all.

But at that price doubt that they sold a single one :D

Jaq
04-17-2016, 09:12 PM
Second the stripping idea. Dunno what the cups are made of, or how they'd be affected, but buy a set and soak in oven cleaner or draino till th anodizing comes off (assuming they're anodized alloy/aluminum).

Then polish them up on a buffing wheel. you'd lose any campy logos that aren't stamped/engraved, but they might be very purty.