PDA

View Full Version : Centering cantilever brakes

stephenmarklay
04-15-2016, 08:50 PM
I have not really spent much time on canti brakes but my commuter has them.

The little springs are in the same hole and the shafts are lubed so the arms are free to move. I think its just the straddle cable is in poor shape making to pull to one side?

Any tricks?

bikinchris
04-15-2016, 08:59 PM
It should have centering adjustment by way of screw heads near the pivot. The straddle cable COULD pull it to one side, but it would have to be pretty badly screwed up to do that. If you would need to replace the straddle cable, it would be obvious just by watching the brake while you actuate it.

zmudshark
04-15-2016, 09:20 PM
It should have centering adjustment by way of screw heads near the pivot. The straddle cable COULD pull it to one side, but it would have to be pretty badly screwed up to do that. If you would need to replace the straddle cable, it would be obvious just by watching the brake while you actuate it.Cantilever brakes aren't like that. You are describing a linear pull brake.

Park has a tutorial. Canti's can be hard to adjust, especially one made for a 27" on a 700c wheel. What model canti?

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cantilever-brake-service

Birddog
04-15-2016, 09:25 PM
IMO, Cantis are PIA. Practice using clever combinations of cuss words while clenching your teeth and trying to handle 2 wrenches and the canti all at the same time. After you tire of that game and repeated tweakings, get yourself some mini V's, that's what I did.

stephenmarklay
04-15-2016, 09:27 PM
It should have centering adjustment by way of screw heads near the pivot. The straddle cable COULD pull it to one side, but it would have to be pretty badly screwed up to do that. If you would need to replace the straddle cable, it would be obvious just by watching the brake while you actuate it.

Thanks Chris. I had not even noticed the center allen head recessed in there. It did work. The cable is little tweaked so it’s not perfect but good enough for now and I will get the a new cable.

Thanks again.

stephenmarklay
04-15-2016, 09:30 PM
IMO, Cantis are PIA. Practice using clever combinations of cuss words while clenching your teeth and trying to handle 2 wrenches and the canti all at the same time. After you tire of that game and repeated tweakings, get yourself some mini V's, that's what I did.

You know I have never had love for canti brakes. I had plenty of chattering and such to not use them. Having said that my the cheap Exage cantis on my commuter rig work really well. I think a beefier front fork than a touring bike or CX bike helps. No chatter and I can even do a stoppie!

cmbicycles
04-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Almost all the cantilever brakes I worked on are like described above.

Most have a small screw for adjusting spring tension so they are easily centered. Some of those dont work worth a darn though, or if they are shimano and gray plastic they break . Some do not have any screw adjuster, and you adjust it by either bending the spring or sliding the straddle cable one way or another to lengthen one side or the other and put a bend in the cable once you get into the sweet spot where it is centered. There is a little trial and error involved in the latter.

There are many styles of cantilever brake though, as well as straddle hangers so some further details or pictures will help get more accurate advice.

bikinchris
04-15-2016, 09:40 PM
Thanks Chris. I had not even noticed the center allen head recessed in there. It did work. The cable is little tweaked so it’s not perfect but good enough for now and I will get the a new cable.

Thanks again.

You're welcome. Cantis are actually great brakes and not hard to use or adjust. They just aren't as 'sexy' as the other brakes.

bikinchris
04-15-2016, 09:46 PM
Cantilever brakes aren't like that. You are describing a linear pull brake.

Park has a tutorial. Canti's can be hard to adjust, especially one made for a 27" on a 700c wheel. What model canti?

From your own link:
"Most models of cantilever brakes use a centering set-screw on caliper arm to center. Turning set screw changes spring tension in that arm. For example, to move both arms right, turn right side set screw clockwise. To move both arms left, loosen screw counter-clockwise. Squeeze lever to work calipers and check centering again. Caliper arms should be centered to rim."

stephenmarklay
04-15-2016, 10:01 PM
Cantilever brakes aren't like that. You are describing a linear pull brake.

Those instructions look painful. I appreciate it however.

fogrider
04-15-2016, 10:40 PM
From your own link:
"Most models of cantilever brakes use a centering set-screw on caliper arm to center. Turning set screw changes spring tension in that arm. For example, to move both arms right, turn right side set screw clockwise. To move both arms left, loosen screw counter-clockwise. Squeeze lever to work calipers and check centering again. Caliper arms should be centered to rim."

I had canti brakes for many years, I still have one on the rear, but for 20 bucks I got a mini v and no more adjusting every other ride.

stephenmarklay
04-15-2016, 11:17 PM
I had canti brakes for many years, I still have one on the rear, but for 20 bucks I got a mini v and no more adjusting every other ride.

With Mini V brakes do I need to upgrade my lever or get a travel agent for cable pull?

fogrider
04-15-2016, 11:28 PM
With Mini V brakes do I need to upgrade my lever or get a travel agent for cable pull?

No need to change anything. the mini v will work with road levers...they were design for road levers. the regular V brakes work with mountain bike levers.

zmudshark
04-16-2016, 12:00 AM
From your own link:
"Most models of cantilever brakes use a centering set-screw on caliper arm to center. Turning set screw changes spring tension in that arm. For example, to move both arms right, turn right side set screw clockwise. To move both arms left, loosen screw counter-clockwise. Squeeze lever to work calipers and check centering again. Caliper arms should be centered to rim."I'm an old guy and think of canti's as those that came on old touring bikes. I think of the brakes that have screws to center as V brakes.

My bad.

pinkshogun
04-16-2016, 06:20 AM
when i encounter finicky cantis on old bikes the first thing i do is remove them and clean the posts (always gunky). i sometimes need to stagger which mounting hole on the frame each canti goes in to....sometime one canti has more or less spring action so re-positioning in the 3 hole option on the stud is needed

oldpotatoe
04-16-2016, 10:54 AM

Depends on the lever. If 'road' levers, no. You mentioned on yer commuter..flat bar or drop bar? Flat bar levers, it depends.

stephenmarklay
04-16-2016, 12:09 PM
Depends on the lever. If 'road' levers, no. You mentioned on yer commuter..flat bar or drop bar? Flat bar levers, it depends.

Thank you so much. Its a hybrid, flat bar bike with old early 7 speed.