PDA

View Full Version : Panaracer Gravel Kings vs Rivendell Ruffy Tuffys

Lovetoclimb
04-14-2016, 05:47 PM
On my slower couplered road bike I prefer to maximize the available clearance with 28-30mm tires. I have used a somewhat wide selection in the past including:

Grand Bois Cerf Green 700 x 28
Conti 4 Season 700 x 28
Specialized Roubaix 700 x 25/28 (some weird hybrid size they have)
Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy

The Specialized tires have been great, among the best bang for your buck out there. That said the Ruffy Tuffys were also great and looked even better! As those are made by Panaracer in Japanland, I am curious if there is much difference between them and the Gravel Kings in 28mm? I do prefer a 28 that expands out on a wide rim to measure 30-31mm as this is the sweet spot under the brakes. Both seem similar in design, attributes, and price.

Anyone ridden both and have a comparison to offer up? If only the Specialized tires were BOGO right now. Hard to turn them down at $25 each!

bbobway
04-14-2016, 07:38 PM
I have ridden the Gravelkings quite a bit. They're durable and fast enough. My 28's measure 28mm on narrow rims, 30mm on wide rims (Belgium+). I haven't ridden the Ruffy Tuffys, but I think they run slightly smaller.

Geeheeb
04-14-2016, 07:42 PM
I love the gravelkings on my lemond. Next I may try the ruffys.

pbarry
04-14-2016, 07:57 PM
The GKs are more supple, having ridden both. Not as good cornering hard on smooth pavement as RTs.

Lovetoclimb
04-14-2016, 09:04 PM
The GKs are more supple, having ridden both. Not as good cornering hard on smooth pavement as RTs.

how would you compare puncture resistance and durability of the two. Riding a lot of backwoods gravel roads around WNC it is nice to have peace of mind I won't destroy my tires.

fiamme red
04-14-2016, 09:29 PM
how would you compare puncture resistance and durability of the two. Riding a lot of backwoods gravel roads around WNC it is nice to have peace of mind I won't destroy my tires.I've used Ruffy Tuffy tires on both urban and gravel roads and I don't remember ever getting a flat on them. But they are not supple tires, and ride rather harshly.

kramnnim
04-14-2016, 10:04 PM
I used 28mm Gravelkings on gravel around Lenoir/Mortimer, (do you ride that far east?) they seem to be quite tough.

ColonelJLloyd
04-15-2016, 07:05 AM
Haven't ridden the Gravel Kings. I think the ride of Ruffy Tuffys suck. But, that's usually what you get with an overbuilt tire in which puncture resistance is the main goal.

ElvisMerckx
04-15-2016, 07:09 AM
Rolly Pollys ride quite a bit smoother than the Ruffy Tuffys and, in my experience, are just as tough and puncture resistant.

druptight
04-15-2016, 07:33 AM
how would you compare puncture resistance and durability of the two. Riding a lot of backwoods gravel roads around WNC it is nice to have peace of mind I won't destroy my tires.

I've ridden both, and do not recommend the GK's for puncture resistance w/r/t road debris. Haven't had any issue with GK's off road, but I commuted with them for a couple months last year and finally gave up after numerous punctures.

That said, they're one of the best riding clincher tires I've ridden, especially given the price. Smooth and soft riding.

Ruffy T's feel to me like you standard commuting tires that have puncture resistance, but look extra sexy with the tan walls.

weisan
04-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Just got back bikepacking over the weekend and was using Stampede Compass 32mm, they are SWEET!
Encountered some mixed terrain but mostly paved, these tires performed flawlessly.
I can only imagine the next step up would be the Barlow Pass 38mm.
https://www.roadbikerider.com/images/Compass_Stampede_Pass_700x32_Tire.web_.jpg

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/components/tires/700c/compass-700cx32-stampede-pass/

oldpotatoe
04-15-2016, 07:56 AM
Rolly Pollys ride quite a bit smoother than the Ruffy Tuffys and, in my experience, are just as tough and puncture resistant.

Rolly Polly, Ruffy Tuffy, Silly Willy...these tire names..

dawgie
04-15-2016, 08:12 AM
I've ridden on both tires quite a bit. The Gravel King 28s are wider than the Ruffy Tuffys, much lighter weight, more supple and faster rolling. However, they are not nearly as flat-resistant and long-wearing. I would go with the R-Ts if you are seeking more bomb-proof tires, and the GKs if you are looking for a nicer ride.

ColonelJLloyd
04-15-2016, 08:16 AM
It doesn't stop there. The printed size on their Jack Browns are 33.3 with a line over the .3. Elsewhere on the tire Panaracer has marked 35-622 because that's what size the tire is.

And the frame names. . . . cute.

Rolly Polly, Ruffy Tuffy, Silly Willy...these tire names..

dawgie
04-15-2016, 08:20 AM
If you want a more supple 28 tire with tan skin walls, you could also try the Rivendell Rolly Polys or the Clement Stradas. And, of course, there's always the more expensive Compass and Grand Bois tires.