PDA

View Full Version : Curious Case of Oscar74...

FlashUNC
04-14-2016, 04:19 PM
And interesting story from CyclingTips on the recent masters doper who got popped for all sorts of crazy blood doping. I don't agree with the author's conclusions, but it is an interesting window in how those who know someone firsthand deal and work through it. I also liked the perspective from some sports psychologists on just why in the world a Masters racer would dope.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/the-curious-case-of-oscar74-how-usada-nabbed-a-masters-doper/

Oh, almost forgot, the steroid he was on has never been approved for use, as the clinical trials showed it was basically a cancer factory. Ye Gods the lengths some will go to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GW501516

azrider
04-14-2016, 04:50 PM
wow....what a turd

phutterman
04-14-2016, 05:28 PM
His original forum post that got him busted was linked in the Brandt-Sorensen discussion a few weeks back, too, before this came to light, too. It was almost so specific as to be implausible, but evidently it was real. Crazy.

beeatnik
04-14-2016, 05:36 PM
flash, while hating on Pete, you missed a fun thread.

45K10
04-14-2016, 07:25 PM
His original forum post that got him busted was linked in the Brandt-Sorensen discussion a few weeks back, too, before this came to light, too. It was almost so specific as to be implausible, but evidently it was real. Crazy.

Yeah I thought that was just part of the "LA secret code speak" of the thread. I thought no one could be that dense to post that kind of stuff in a forum, I was wrong.

Good article though, thanks for posting

pbarry
04-14-2016, 07:33 PM

Yes. Please use the search function. :eek:

beeatnik
04-14-2016, 07:36 PM
Yeah I thought that was just part of the "LA secret code speak" of the thread. I thought no one could be that dense to post that kind of stuff in a forum, I was wrong.

Good article though, thanks for posting

in that thread oscar74 was peripheral and yet related. a cogent tangent, if you will.

the only codespeak was about peel diamond who rides for canoondole

45K10
04-14-2016, 07:41 PM
in that thread oscar74 was peripheral and yet related. a cogent tangent, if you will.

Ironically I understood the peel diamond reference. It was a great thread.

don compton
04-14-2016, 07:42 PM
I played golf in college. There were a few cheaters and I won't name them, but in my mind cheating is a character flaw.Look at LA. These dopers are just cheats, period. They can come up with all kinds of justifications, but they just can't do it without cheating.
I am a retired real estate developer, and I have seen crooks that had a real winning development and messed it up because they just had to steal something.
And guess what, it's "coming around" for LA.

FlashUNC
04-14-2016, 09:40 PM

No offense, but I checked out when it turned into 5 pages of discussion on a ride in LA that had I no interest in some SoCal lingo that was completely alien to me. Arguing about Petey was far more interesting for me.

Yes. Please use the search function. :eek:

Yeah, no. Still applies as I've not seen anyone post the full tick-tock story about Oscar74, namely the sheer insanity of the stuff he was on. Thanks for dropping by to complain though.

MattTuck
04-14-2016, 10:20 PM
For the last few years, I've had a more ambivalent view of doping. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is wrong and they are cheaters. But I think the reasons that go into an athlete going down that road are more complex than just "I wanted to win." That kind of monolithic view ignores the human aspects of such a decision.

This article starts to consider some of those reasons, and some of the human rings that ripple out from these decisions. Unfortunately, without the protagonist's thoughts being represented, it seems a bit flat. I mean, the author did what he could with the info available to him, but at some point he has to resort to talking about Gorilla enclosures at the zoo because he knows the piece needs a narrative arc and he doesn't really have one for Oscar74.

cadence90
04-14-2016, 10:21 PM

Wait...you're hanging out with Monica Bellucci tonight? Well, bespoke-me impressed!

FlashUNC
04-14-2016, 10:27 PM
For the last few years, I've had a more ambivalent view of doping. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is wrong and they are cheaters. But I think the reasons that go into an athlete going down that road are more complex than just "I wanted to win." That kind of monolithic view ignores the human aspects of such a decision.

This article starts to consider some of those reasons, and some of the human rings that ripple out from these decisions. Unfortunately, without the protagonist's thoughts being represented, it seems a bit flat. I mean, the author did what he could with the info available to him, but at some point he has to resort to talking about Gorilla enclosures at the zoo because he knows the piece needs a narrative arc and he doesn't really have one for Oscar74.

It just seems overwhelmingly pathetic and oddly self-destructive. Take a drug that's so dangerous it doesn't get out of clinical trials, all to win some Masters races?

You're right, there's clearly something else going on.

beeatnik
04-15-2016, 01:11 AM
Ironically I understood the peel diamond reference. It was a great thread.

:banana:

beeatnik
04-15-2016, 01:11 AM
Wait...you're hanging out with Monica Bellucci tonight? Well, bespoke-me impressed!

I'm not French.

Lewis Moon
04-15-2016, 08:28 AM
It just seems overwhelmingly pathetic and oddly self-destructive. Take a drug that's so dangerous it doesn't get out of clinical trials, all to win some Masters races?

You're right, there's clearly something else going on.

Yep. Humans are complex. There is rarely one reason for anything.

nathanong87
04-15-2016, 09:21 AM
not to mention he says "i raced pro for 5 years and now racing masters 40+ for 'fun' "

unterhausen
04-15-2016, 12:22 PM
I have to say it's too bad if he lost his job. And it's too bad he stopped riding. OTOH, a lifetime ban is reasonable.