PDA

View Full Version : Road shoe advice

Dave B
04-14-2016, 08:19 AM
I am looking to get a pair of road shoes as I do not have any and need some advice. I have searched threaded and found many different takes on what folks like.

My issue is that in the last 15 years I have only had one pair of mtb shoes (SIDI) and one pair of road shoes, which I no longer have that we're a pair of s-works.

I have looked around online and here to find a pair of used ones. So I either cannot afford the pairs I find or if I can afford them they look like a dog chewed on them before they were drug behind a car on a cross America trip.

I was working with a forum member who had a pair of shoes for me that I could afford as well as they met the size. I have yet to hear form him in a week or two and now just need to move on.

So my question is what brands "fit" similar to the SIDI and s-works shoes? I don't need the widest shoe, but I have bad bunions (sic?) as a result of crap growing up. What out there fits like the ones I mentioned?

Thanks

Dave

ultraman6970
04-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Scott shoes could work and arent that expensive.

Shimano?

DMT?

carpediemracing
04-14-2016, 08:59 AM
I'm a Sidi "addict", have been using various models for 20-25 years. As they're not the lightest (at least the ones I can afford) I looked into alternates. I tried many of them on, at Interbike etc, and I can tell you that I found the following to fit exactly like my Sidis (size 41):

Giro
Fizik

I tried the following and they didn't fit as well. I haven't tried them in a number of years so they might have changed something, I think it's the "last" or some angle of something or something, something to do with the sole. These typically fit "flat", I felt like my foot wasn't enveloped in the same was as in a Sidi:

Shimano
Diadora (before CSG)
Vittoria (that higher end one introduced a few years ago)
Lake (a while back, although I think I verified when I tried on a set maybe 5 years ago)

I tried on but don't recall either way:
Mavic

I didn't try on:
Garneau
Northwave
Scott
Assos
Pearl Izumi

My somewhat current Sidi collection, a number of years ago (the older Miami Vice / 90s flouro color ones are not pictured). I've since overhauled the newest set (the lower left) with new straps and turnbuckles, and they look way worse than the other red/blue set in that picture. Second red/blue set have been relegated to track bike use.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/RihGekFIh5I/AAAAAAAAAEY/d3oAEOLenSg/s800/100_0997.JPG

Dave B
04-14-2016, 08:59 AM
I don' think I am that brand concerned at this stage in my life. Jus toot sure what brands have a similiar fit/feel. I love a larger toe box , my arches aren't that high, I pronate a bit, but again no major hurdles.

Thanks

Dave B
04-14-2016, 09:01 AM
(QUOTE=carpediemracing;1956666]I'm a Sidi "addict", have been using various models for 20-25 years. As they're not the lightest (at least the ones I can afford) I looked into alternates. I tried many of them on, at Interbike etc, and I can tell you that I found the following to fit exactly like my Sidis (size 41):

Giro
Fizik

I tried the following and they didn't fit as well. I haven't tried them in a number of years so they might have changed something, I think it's the "last" or some angle of something or something, something to do with the sole. These typically fit "flat", I felt like my foot wasn't enveloped in the same was as in a Sidi:

Shimano
Diadora (before CSG)
Vittoria (that higher end one introduced a few years ago)
Lake (a while back, although I think I verified when I tried on a set maybe 5 years ago)

I tried on but don't recall either way:
Mavic

I didn't try on:
Garneau
Northwave
Scott
Assos
Pearl Izumi

My somewhat current Sidi collection, a number of years ago (the older Miami Vice / 90s flouro color ones are not pictured). I've since overhauled the newest set (the lower left) with new straps and turnbuckles, and they look way worse than the other red/blue set in that picture. Second red/blue set have been relegated to track bike use.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/RihGekFIh5I/AAAAAAAAAEY/d3oAEOLenSg/s800/100_0997.JPG[/QUOTE]

Thank you, lovely collection.

carpediemracing
04-14-2016, 10:31 AM
Jus toot sure what brands have a similiar fit/feel. I love a larger toe box , my arches aren't that high, I pronate a bit, but again no major hurdles.

Thanks

I'm relatively flat footed, I prefer a soft Achilles area (taller heel boxes dig in, but if too short I pull out). The Sidi shoes seem to fit me in an era where few other shoes fit. Now there's a plethora of shoes out there. If my shoes got sucked into some vortex and disappeared, I'd look at some sub $100 Giro closeout shoes or something like that. I'd want straps/buckles, not laces (been there, done that, before laces were in vogue).

Vinci
04-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Have you looked at the "lower-end" Sidi shoes or are you stuck on the higher models? I have been riding the low-end Sidi road shoes for years now while commuting, and they are great. They are missing the nicer features of the more expensive models, but they still fit better than all my other-brand shoes.

Mine are "Zetas", but I think they change the name of that model every so often without actually changing the shoe. It looks like they are now called the "Taurus".

FlashUNC
04-14-2016, 10:53 AM
My suggestion would just be go to a shop that has a variety and try a bunch on and see what works.

But as others mentioned, if Sidi tickles your pickle, then maybe one of their lower-end models?

nooneline
04-14-2016, 11:08 AM
I don' think I am that brand concerned at this stage in my life. Jus toot sure what brands have a similiar fit/feel. I love a larger toe box , my arches aren't that high, I pronate a bit, but again no major hurdles.

Thanks

Try Bonts. they have a big toe box, they're moldable, and they're best (i think) for people without high arches (they come with really dinky footbeds).

AngryScientist
04-14-2016, 11:35 AM
the lower end offering from both sidi and specialized can be had brand new very reasonably, especially Sidi, closouts on older model lower end shoes are on sale all the time; i wouldnt waste your time with chasing used high end shoes, for a small weight penalty, just go for the lower model and buy new.

that said - if you're on a tight budget and have mtb shoes you like, it's really not a big deal to put mtb pedals on a roadie.

Dave B
04-14-2016, 11:46 AM
the lower end offering from both sidi and specialized can be had brand new very reasonably, especially Sidi, closouts on older model lower end shoes are on sale all the time; i wouldnt waste your time with chasing used high end shoes, for a small weight penalty, just go for the lower model and buy new.

that said - if you're on a tight budget and have mtb shoes you like, it's really not a big deal to put mtb pedals on a roadie.

Agreed I have mtb shoes and pedals until I find something, but I don't have a road bike ready to ride anyway....any day nowl. :rolleyes:

Thanks folks

No I don't mind cheaper models.

Remember I am the buy a bike from China guy...all about the deal!

crossjunkee
04-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Sidi wearer since forever and just switched to the S-Works 6 (amazing shoe by the way). I find the fit very similar. I didn't think I could find a show with heel lock better than Sidi until I tried the S-Works. I've switched for road, mtn, and cross. I'm also a fan of the insoles Specialized offers.

I should also say I'm the size in both brands, 43. If you wear a 43 I've got a nice pair of Sidi Wires (Speedplay specific) I'll sell cheap!

cmbicycles
04-14-2016, 12:06 PM
What size do you need? I have a few size 48 if they are your size.

Dave B
04-14-2016, 12:39 PM
Thanks, looking for a 46 - 46.5

Saw your ad and they look nice, just too big.

cmbicycles
04-14-2016, 12:52 PM
Just stuff a little newspaper in them first and you're good to go ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

wildboar
04-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks, looking for a 46 - 46.5

There's a few pristine condition size 46 Shimano R320 on Ebay right now that would be the price you are looking for. The wide ones are actually an E-EE size with a high instep. The regular ones fit like you're talking about, the "old" Sidi fit like my Genius 2's had.

rpm
04-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Lakes are nice shoes at a very good price. They tend to have relatively wide toe boxes. They can often be had at Nashbar on sale (like now). My big wide feet like their basic three strap shoes in both road and mountain versions.

benb
04-14-2016, 02:43 PM
Anyone know if there are any differences in bolt hole locations in different brands of road shoes with 3-hole bolt patterns?

I'm coming off an extended period riding mountain shoes.. what I'm noticing is my road shoes look like the most rearward position of the cleat is still at least 5mm forward of where I put the pedal axle on my mountain bike shoes.

I'm not any more powerful on the road shoes, if anything I think I'm more powerful on the MTB shoes.. they're less comfy (more toe issues on long rides) due to the cleat position, and it puts more strain on my calves & knees to have the cleats further forward... not sure it's something I really need to deal with as I may just readjust fine but it does give me pause and make me thing about just getting some single sided SPDs for the road.

Vinci
04-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Anyone know if there are any differences in bolt hole locations in different brands of road shoes with 3-hole bolt patterns?

I'm coming off an extended period riding mountain shoes.. what I'm noticing is my road shoes look like the most rearward position of the cleat is still at least 5mm forward of where I put the pedal axle on my mountain bike shoes.

I'm not any more powerful on the road shoes, if anything I think I'm more powerful on the MTB shoes.. they're less comfy (more toe issues on long rides) due to the cleat position, and it puts more strain on my calves & knees to have the cleats further forward... not sure it's something I really need to deal with as I may just readjust fine but it does give me pause and make me thing about just getting some single sided SPDs for the road.
Maybe not what you're asking, but I noticed that my Lakes had the holes (seemingly) clocked a bit to the inside. It was consistent (mirrored) on both sides, so it seems intentional. As a result, I had to adjust my Speedplay cleats to compensate.

benb
04-14-2016, 03:44 PM
Maybe not what you're asking, but I noticed that my Lakes had the holes (seemingly) clocked a bit to the inside. It was consistent (mirrored) on both sides, so it seems intentional. As a result, I had to adjust my Speedplay cleats to compensate.

Huh.. I've never seen that. I've seen a bunch of shoes that had measurements printed on the bottom that were so poorly aligned they were useless... e.x the left shoe had the "0" marking 1cm away from where it was on the right shoe.

adrien
04-14-2016, 05:27 PM
I realize this is sacrilege to some...

You have MTB shoes you like. Have you thought about (ducks!) riding your road bike with MTB pedals? I do. All of them -- fixed, road/rando and road race. Every one. And MTB. One pair of summer shoes, one pair of winter shoes, one backup. All run SPDs because that works for me.:o

Okay, now that's over: I love Lakes. Love them. But I have a very wide foot and a very high arch, to the extent that I can't get Sidis to actually close.

jmoore
04-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Try the Pearl Izumi Elite RD IV. CC had them on sale a few weeks back. $200 retail. I paid $160 for mine shipped. Great shoes. Wide toe box, snug heel, flat profile. I have high arches and with my insoles they are really good.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pearl-izumi-elite-rd-iv-shoes-mens?skid=PLZ00D9-X002-Y019&CMP_SKU=PLZ00D9&MER=0406&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc014&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&CSPID=0914&mr:trackingCode=A114E16B-D5DB-E511-80FA-0050569475F3&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=81822462421&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-112879769821&mr:ploc=9026937&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=112879769821&gclid=CjwKEAjw_7y4BRDykp3Hjqyt_y0SJACome3TTOjSFPIP-eUYzJF5rq1DEVbP4d5YpJA8apvoeD1TIxoCnfzw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

cadence90
04-14-2016, 10:31 PM
My suggestion would just be go to a shop that has a variety and try a bunch on and see what works.

But as others mentioned, if Sidi tickles your pickle, then maybe one of their lower-end models?

Mr. Prez:
This is the best advice, as lasts, etc. may have changed since you bought your Sidis. You need to try different shoes.

I have wide, flattish feet; wear Sidi Genius comfortably; and so don't have a ton of experience with other brands. But, compared with my Sidis, other shoes I tried a few years ago were:
Northwave: WAY too narrow.
DMT: Too narrow.
Carnac: Perfect, very comfortable.

efaust_o
04-14-2016, 10:48 PM
46 M see PM...

macaroon
04-15-2016, 02:05 AM

The bolt holes on Sidi aren't particularly far rearward.

Giro and Shimano both have a very rearward cleat position. The Shimano shoes also have some little bits of plastic holding the cleat plate in place; remove these and you can slide it even further rearward.

macaroon
04-15-2016, 02:11 AM
OP, check out the Sidi Lazer; I think it's the road version of the Spider (which is what I've just swapped to from my Eagle 6).

After a few rides on mine; love them. Lighter and stiffer than the Eagle, infact the sole stiffness feels perfect; not quite as stiff as the top end shoes. Also, pretty light. And they don't have the annoying heel cup adjuster. Plus, quite a bit cheaper than the top end ones.

http://www.bikechaincafe.com/sidi-laser-white-white-2015.html

htwoopup
04-15-2016, 04:04 AM
I need a wider toe box like it sounds like you do. I love my Lakes but they tend to be on the higher end. LG's are also great for fit in the toes and are on the cheaper end new. One other reason as the OP said go to a store and try different ones on is I have found that different brands fit me well with different sizes. I think with bunions that is particularly true.