PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Hub Overhaul

estilley
04-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Anyone ever had the problem of a Mavic hub grinding really loudly when freewheeling at 25+ mph? Apparently this is a common problem.

Anyway, I ordered one of those HubDoctor rebuild kits where you knock out the plastic bushing and replace it with ceramic bearings. Only problem is the new additions to the freewheel didn't fit well over the Kysyrium elite's I had so I then had to sand down the existing hub body (Sandpaper included in the kit!). tedious afternoon but nonetheless finished.

Might never buy a Mavic wheelset again...

ultraman6970
04-12-2016, 11:14 PM
French in general dont make bad stuff, my only critique to all their products is that they never try to keep it simple, always some stuff going on. Mavic rear hubs have insanely too many parts, the original time pedal was perfect... now they had to change them, french shoes at some point were wide and comfortable, they changed them and pretty much you dont see french shoes no more.

estilley
04-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Just remembered my road shoes are mavic's. Actually very comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peanutgallery
04-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Depending on the model, just disassemble appropriatly and rebuild

The pawls get dry and dirt gets in there. Upon reassembly use shimano mineral oil to lube them up. Actually recommend by mavic

If the bearings are crunchy, replace. If its making noise, the pawls are the cause and the mineral oil will do the trick

oldpotatoe
04-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Depending on the model, just disassemble appropriatly and rebuild

The pawls get dry and dirt gets in there. Upon reassembly use shimano mineral oil to lube them up. Actually recommend by mavic

If the bearings are crunchy, replace. If its making noise, the pawls are the cause and the mineral oil will do the trick

Plus and or the bushing gets worn, it can screech and knock. Really poor design they have insisted on for over 2 decades.

peanutgallery
04-13-2016, 09:21 AM
I love finding the bushing sucked up between the free hub and the hub:)

Simplistic design for sure. Biggest thing I see is service interval, few do anything proactively. All that lawn chair quality aluminum gets galled and sticky and you have to be careful with the force you use to disassemble the hub

Plus and or the bushing gets worn, it can screech and knock. Really poor design they have insisted on for over 2 decades.

estilley
04-13-2016, 02:29 PM
Upon service I did realize what a horrible design it was. Spins way better now, just hoping it will hold up until I save up enough to go for the Chris King's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk