PDA

View Full Version : We spend a lot of time outside, in the sun & wind, how do you protect your skin?

MattTuck
04-12-2016, 07:56 PM
I've run out of my SPF moisturizer, and I'm in need of recommendations for a new one.

Any of you guys have a suggestion for a moisturizer with SPF?

echelon_john
04-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer with SPF. Feels great, smells good (not heavily scented; just a clean fresh smell) and seems to work well. For heavy sun you'd want something more, but this is a good base/everyday option.

MattTuck
04-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks, added to my amazon cart. :beer:

Edit: Actually, Amazon doesn't have it. But I see it on the Kiehl's website and will pick it up. Thanks!

onekgguy
04-12-2016, 08:36 PM
I use Blue Lizard (http://www.bluelizard.net/). Work it in and it stays as long as any other sunscreen I've used. It won't sluff off with sweat in the heat of summer.

Kevin g

Dead Man
04-12-2016, 08:37 PM
Ive got a nice thick layer of sarcoma that i figure blocks a lot of the UV, so i dont really worry about it

kramnnim
04-12-2016, 08:50 PM
I burn some in the spring, then get enough tan the summer sun doesn't do much. I'm allergic to normal sunscreen and the mineral stuff is annoying. I guess I might regret not using it later on down the road...

wc1934
04-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Ive got a nice thick layer of sarcoma that i figure blocks a lot of the UV, so i dont really worry about it

haha - me too, but it's in some strange places.

Dromen
04-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Another plus with blue lizard is it doesn't burn your eyes when sweating.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

bluesea
04-12-2016, 10:34 PM
I use Zinka zinc ointment on ear tops and eye lids, where I occasionally have eczema like symptoms. I also need steroidal cream there to prevent self-abuse due to itching.

I live in HONO and have spent a lifetime out on the open ocean fishing/racing, and also surfing, paddling, diving, cycling and working outdoors as a carpenter/builder. The point is My skin has been used and abused. Otoh I'm Asian and am less sensitive to the sun. Most of my caucasian friends have had one or more melanoma removed, and they still get out there. Crazy, I know.

Started using use sun screen only 12 yr ago, and I'm over 60.

p nut
04-12-2016, 10:38 PM
I just use banana boat or whatever from the grocery store.

But despite the heat, I usually wear long sleeve. And tie a bandana around my neck.

http://www.boure.com/8605WH.html

Tony
04-12-2016, 10:49 PM
I like Renewal from Rite aid. It has vitamin E and Aloe, not greasy, rubs in and disappears. I use Eucerin Skin Calming as a moisturizer off the bike.

gngroup
04-12-2016, 10:50 PM
Thinkbaby SPF 50+ sunscreen. I wear a cap under my helmet and also use arm sun sleeves often in the warmer months. I have leg sun sleeves as well but don't use them much as I have enough hair on my legs to act as a natural shield!

ajhapps
04-12-2016, 11:26 PM
+1 Kiehl's for your face. I use the men's facial fuel - really light, not greasy, not smelly.

For everything else... Banana Boat from Walgreens.

tumbler
04-12-2016, 11:57 PM
I have an irrational hatred of sunscreen, lotion, moisturizer, ointments, etc. I loathe the act of rubbing it in, trying to avoid my clothes and never knowing if I got it everywhere. I also hate the feeling it leaves on my palms, even the good stuff, since I rarely wear gloves.

Fortunately for me, Lady Tumbler knows better and pestered me enough about sunscreen that I eventually caved. I settled on this (http://www.costco.com/Neutrogena%C2%AE-Beach-Defense%C2%AE-Sunscreen-Spray-SPF-70-%2B-Lotion-SPF-70.product.100238808.html) Neutrogena SPF 70 spray. Costco has them in packages of 2 for $15. It's quick, lightweight, and keeps my palms completely dry. I keep the can right next to the garage door and give myself a quick once-over before heading out.

Russian bear
04-13-2016, 12:27 AM
SPF 50 Banana boat baby something rather that you can get at any store here. Every single ride starting March (sometimes before) here in southern AZ. Soon (another month) no amount of sun screen can help and you just have to have your ride done by 9am.

joosttx
04-13-2016, 12:45 AM
Genetics

KidWok
04-13-2016, 01:18 AM
Sol sun guard. Tenacious stuff that doesn't easily come off. Pricy, but well worth it.

Tai

smontanaro
04-13-2016, 05:08 AM
I burn some in the spring, then get enough tan the summer sun doesn't do much. I'm allergic to normal sunscreen and the mineral stuff is annoying. I guess I might regret not using it later on down the road...

Ya think? I'm really not picking on @kramnnim, but we know a sh*t ton more today about the risks of too much sun than a generation or two ago. We should be paying closer attention. When I was a kid, the joke was that being a dermatologist was the best medical specialty. You work regular office hours, are never on call, and you don't deal with anything difficult, maybe prescribe some lotion for psoriasis, that sort of thing. I highly doubt that's the case today. My wife and I have had some basal cell bits excised, and Ellen's mom and brother have both had far more serious skin cancers treated in the past couple years.

Maybe check in with your primary care doc or a dermatologist and see what other stuff might be available which would do the trick for you. Many of us boomer types have spent years in the sun with little or no protection and are beginning to pay the price. It's never too early to start covering up a bit, either virtually (with sunscreen) or in reality (with different clothing choices).

93legendti
04-13-2016, 06:11 AM
I use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Sunscreen-Ultra-Sheer-Stick/dp/B00HNSSV3U/ref=sr_1_sc_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1460545717&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Neuteragena+stick

Rite aid makes a generic and both make a smaller one that can fit in your jersey.
Stick is the way to go.

mnoble485
04-13-2016, 06:19 AM
I just use banana boat or whatever from the grocery store.

But despite the heat, I usually wear long sleeve. And tie a bandana around my neck.

http://www.boure.com/8605WH.html

Don't want to side track but... any others use anything like this? I think I am past sunblock and really need something like this.

Mike

guido
04-13-2016, 06:32 AM
I've been using Bouré long sleeve jerseys for years. They give good protection while remaining quite cool. Very well made and wear like iron. Nice color selections too...

A Waltz wicking fabric cap under the helmet. CVS sport 50+ spf sunscreen (I'm allergic to something in the Banana boat that makes my eyes swell up...) on the back of my neck and on my face and I'm ready to play in the sun...

oldpotatoe
04-13-2016, 07:05 AM
Genetics

Me too..I probably should use sunscreen....but I don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melanin

HenryA
04-13-2016, 07:20 AM
The skin on my arms is permanently damaged from sun exposure. If I had it to do over I'd wear long sleeves all the time. There's almost nothing like the baking that happens when our lower arms are in a horizontal position riding a bike under an open sky.

The time to start protecting your hide from too much sun is now. There is no taking it back later.

fkelly
04-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Grocery store spf 50, one that says Athletic on it. Still burns the eyes sometimes. Cap under the helmet. If you have a bald spot on the top of the head that's getting full sun all the time you ride without a cap.

Started with dermatologist visits once a year 10 years ago. Moved up to every 6 months 3 years ago because of sun damage they found. They burn off 20 to 30 spots every visit and every few years find one that needs testing. Had MOHS surgery to remove a malignant spot on the ear a year ago.

With friends who have died from melanoma this is nothing to joke about or take casually. Unless your genetics are strongly resistant to sun damage, riding a couple hours a day over 30+ year is going to lead to damage. Make that first dermatologist appointment now.

paredown
04-13-2016, 08:32 AM
I'm like a lot of other guys--ignored it (mostly) except when skiing at altitude, and hate, hate, hate most sunscreen. So my skin is pretty beat up, although (touch wood) no weird moles or anything.

My lovely wife has fixed me up with La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX that I now use as a daily face cream/after shave thing--goes on light, does not make my skin feel as if I can't breathe etc. SPF-15--my theory is that it is definitely better than nothing.

I wear long sleeves a lot more as well, on the job site and in the yard--haven't switched to long sleeve jerseys, but that is probably next. Hats are good too when outdoors.

I've been using Bouré long sleeve jerseys for years. They give good protection while remaining quite cool. Very well made and wear like iron. Nice color selections too...

Guido--I'd be interested to have a comparison on their fit--say compared to Assos?

It's worth mentioning that we are at higher risk now, with the depleted ozone.

p nut
04-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Don't want to side track but... any others use anything like this? I think I am past sunblock and really need something like this.

Mike

I just ordered Voler L/S jersey this morning. They're cheaper than Boure, MUSA, and same UPF rating. I'll see how they compare to Boure.

http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1010H30

Seramount
04-13-2016, 09:02 AM
personally, I think sunscreen is largely a marketing fad. I never use it on the bike.

and I especially hate it when I'm at the pool to swim laps and the helicopter parents line their kids up and hose them down with the crap. spraying god-knows-what sketchy chemicals in a child's face doesn't seem quite right.

the overspray then wafts over the water and you can smell and taste it as you do your workout...lovely.

since I spend a lot of time at the pool, the skin tends to dry out so I occasionally apply some coconut oil to the legs and arms...it has an SPF rating of 2. so, figure I'm good to go...

bluesea
04-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Forgot to mention I use Banana Boat 50 and it seems effective. I hate the way it attracts grit on your legs, but oh well.

estilley
04-13-2016, 09:53 AM
+2 for Kiehls

guido
04-13-2016, 09:56 AM
snip...

Guido--I'd be interested to have a comparison on their fit--say compared to Assos?

I'm not sure this will help but... The only Assos pieces I have tried ran too small and short in the sleeve. I'm 6'1" with a 44" chest and 16.5/17 neck 36/37" sleeve in a dress shirt. Their Club Large is touch tight with a mesh undershirt but the Club XL is prone to flap in the wind. The Race fit XL is perfect...
HTH,

guido

kevinvc
04-13-2016, 10:28 AM
I grew up in the southwest at a time when nobody used sunscreen. In fact, my mom would put baby oil on us when we were going to be outside for a long time. After college I had a job for a few years where I worked outside all day year-round and never wore sunscreen.

Now that I'm older and more mature I regret those choices. I don't have skin cancer (yet?), but I'm definitely concerned about the damage I did to myself. I still hate the feeling of sunscreen, but do a fairly good job of forcing myself to use it these days.

Two weeks ago was the first time I needed it this season. I came back from my ride plastered with dead gnats and yellow tree pollen... but no sunburn. I have to keep telling myself that it was worth it.

eippo1
04-13-2016, 11:12 AM
I have rosacea, so can't use normal sunscreen on my face or it will aggravate it. And sun aggravates rosacea as well, so after trying lots of different moisturizers with spf, I settled on Neutrogena facial with sunscreen. Have the 15 for daily use and a 35 spf for riding. Helps a lot to keep me from burning and preventing overall flareups.

RFC
04-13-2016, 11:21 AM

Just ask Goldmember

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACf8n6CBJsE

teleguy57
04-13-2016, 11:22 AM
For those of you using Kiehl's, do you also put on some other sport-specific sunscreen when you go out to ride, or just use the Kiehl's? How about arms/legs as well as face/neck?

Guido--I'd be interested to have a comparison on their fit--say compared to Assos? To add to Guido's info. I'm just under 6', 43" chest, 35-36 arms and waist more than it should be. The L club cut fits pretty well most of the year, a little tight at the beginning of the season. I did originally order the Club XL but it was too baggy; probably should try a race XL but I'm thinking the arms/body might be a bit long.

I grew up in the southwest at a time when nobody used sunscreen. In fact, my mom would put baby oil on us when we were going to be outside for a long time. After college I had a job for a few years where I worked outside all day year-round and never wore sunscreen. Yup. In the 70s was a lifeguard at Scout camp for two summers then ran the archery range year 3. On the waterfront we wore Speedo and Coppertone oil (I don't even think it had any SPF protection, just like coconut oil as a moisturizer. Third summer I ran the archery range and I don't recall using anything despite being outside in the sun-baked field all day. Now I've had a bunch of atypical but non-malignant stuff carved out and see the dermatologist annually.

echelon_john
04-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Depends how long I'm going to be outside. An hour or less, give or take, and I'll just have the Kiehl's on my face/neck/ears. More, or if it's really sunny, I'll use an SPF 30 on neck, arms, legs; sometimes nose. Never above the eyes. Usually Badger brand.

This site is a very good, objective review of most common sunscreens on the market, and provides a lot of information on ingredients from a safety/health perspective. There's a lot of bad sh&t in a lot of products. That's how I wound up with Badger.

http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/
http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/

For those of you using Kiehl's, do you also put on some other sport-specific sunscreen when you go out to ride, or just use the Kiehl's? How about arms/legs as well as face/neck?

ripvanrando
04-13-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm trying arm coolers and a skull cap cooler this year.

Some suncreens do not block UVA. I like Neutrogena sunscreens with Helioplex® although I am not fond of putting Avobenzone on me but it works. Make sure whatever sunscreen is broad spectrum; otherwise, you won't get protection against the cancer causing UVA rays. Also, I would caution against using beyond the expiration date. (disclaimer....did some work in this industry)

stackie
04-13-2016, 11:42 AM
I typically use ALBA brand sunscreens, available at WF. They have a daily lotion with spf 16 that I try to use daily. If going for longer ride, will use an ALBA 45 with minerals.

Ripvanrando, what happens when past expiration date? I would presume some slow loss of efficacy. How rapidly does it taper off? Is anyone watching the efficacy? Or is it like the pharma company Ranbaxy who was making anti-retrovirals for HIV/AIDS that were becoming almost useless within three months of production, despite labeling that indicated a couple years of efficacy post-production. I won't quote their executive's comment to the scientist who brought this up. It would be like tossing a grenade into this thread.

Jon

DRZRM
04-13-2016, 11:42 AM
The Honest Company's Honest Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50 is on sale at Costco for about $13 for 2 large tubes. It's active ingredient is Non-Nano Zinc Oxide which is well rated for at EWG for UVA & UVB. I'm going to pick up a few packs next time I'm in.

Dead Man
04-13-2016, 12:35 PM
personally, I think sunscreen is largely a marketing fad. I never use it on the bike.

and I especially hate it when I'm at the pool to swim laps and the helicopter parents line their kids up and hose them down with the crap. spraying god-knows-what sketchy chemicals in a child's face doesn't seem quite right.

the overspray then wafts over the water and you can smell and taste it as you do your workout...lovely.

since I spend a lot of time at the pool, the skin tends to dry out so I occasionally apply some coconut oil to the legs and arms...it has an SPF rating of 2. so, figure I'm good to go...

Yup... I guess i trust a million or so years of evolution more than corporate chemists. Not sure how we concluded dousing ourselves in complex chemicals was a better option than NOT, but im personally not buying it.

pasadena
04-13-2016, 12:40 PM
My favorite quote from a riding friend: "If a black man is putting on sunscreen, you should too!"

Anything above SPF50 is marketing hype. I believe it's illegal to market anything above 50 in Europe because it's deceving. (SPF100 is not 100% stronger than SPF50- more like .5% stronger)

Honest Brand Costco sunscreen- I bought it and it doesn't work well. Many complained and Jessica Alba had to defend and qualify. Basically, it's all natural and breaks down fast- so you have to apply frequently. Not ideal for cycling. I think it's good for jra, Off bike

The sun is causing (active word) damage to your skin always. It's a cumalative effect and what you did a few years ago will surface. Dry now, leather in the future...

I try to use sleeves (they actually cool your skin better than just your bare skin as a benefit)

What helps me is remembering to put sunscreen on a half hour to hour before I ride, or earlier. Allow it absorb helps duration.

I honestly can't re-apply during a ride. My skin is way to sweaty. It's like rubbing lotion on a wet skinsuit.

Face and ears are particularly vulnerable areas - skin is thin, heavy sun exposure.

Sports sunscreen spf30 has worked for me. Non greasy and seem to protect for a decent amount of time.
I wash it off my hands, as I always wear gloves.

Stay protected guys!

zap
04-13-2016, 12:42 PM
While cycling, some Badger cream on hands, forearm (early season) and neck.

deechee
04-13-2016, 12:59 PM
I'm a fan of Desoto Arm cooler/ wings (https://www.desotosport.com/collections/skin-cooler/products/sds-cool-wings) Saves my arms post swim since no matter what you lose some sunblock in the water.

For the face I've just given up and use Coppertone. There's a pretty nice green colored cream from L'Oreal but I haven't used that in a long time.

Russian bear
04-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Yup... I guess i trust a million or so years of evolution more than corporate chemists. Not sure how we concluded dousing ourselves in complex chemicals was a better option than NOT, but im personally not buying it.

Million years ago, people didn't live long enough to die from skin cancer. Don't be stupid. I suppose you're anti vaccinations too?

tumbler
04-13-2016, 01:32 PM

Evolution wouldn't necessarily be impacted much if the population was reproducing from age 20-40 and dying of skin cancer at age 65. There are also genetic differences between different ethic groups, causing some to be almost immune and others to suffer greatly.

It would be one thing if the only people pushing sunscreen were the ones benefiting financially, but if you ask a dermatologist about it (who isn't selling sunscreen and would arguably be better financially if there were more cases of skin cancer to diagnose and treat), there is a 99.9% chance that they will tell you to wear sunscreen. I'm not saying that chemicals are without risk, but sunscreen has been around for quite a while and does receive a good bit of testing. I guess you have to weigh the potential risks of chemicals vs. the known risk of skin cancer.

Dead Man
04-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Million years ago, people didn't live long enough to die from skin cancer. Don't be stupid. I suppose you're anti vaccinations too?

I won't live long enough to die from skin cancer either, bro. But what does vaccination have to do with this?

I don't have a problem with modern medicine - I'm just not smearing chemicals on my skin when my skin already has a natural mechanism for protecting me from the same sun my species has lived under since the dawn of time.

Science isn't take-it-or-leave-it.

p nut
04-13-2016, 01:54 PM
This thread got me thinking even more about sun protection. I added in a leg sleeve/UV protector to my order from Voler.

http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1240231

m_sasso
04-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Can't over emphasize there is lots of nasty stuff in many sunscreens and sunblocks. Before making a purchase or slathering the stuff on read the ingredients on the label. Much of the stuff may actually pose greater hazards to human health than the suns radiation.

http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/

pasadena
04-13-2016, 03:28 PM
Can't over emphasize there is lots of nasty stuff in many sunscreens and sunblocks. Before making a purchase or slathering the stuff on read the ingredients on the label. Much of the stuff may actually pose greater hazards to human health than the suns radiation.

http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/

you can look up your sunscreen here to see the ingredients

http://www.ewg.org/2015sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/?ptype=sunscreen

malbecman
04-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Hey folks! What is the most common form of cancer in the US? (I'm talking all cancers, not just the deadly ones).

It's skin cancer, specifically basal cell carcinomas. Fortunately, they rarely metastasize but they can be disfiguring and usually require burning off with liquid N2, scooping out with a melon-baller type implement or outpatient surgery (Moh's surgery).

The problem is that they don't show up for 20-30 yrs after you have had UV damage. Wear your sunscreen!

From skin cancer.org

In 2010, an estimated 2.8 million cases of BCC were diagnosed in the US, and the figures have continued to climb. In fact, BCC is the most frequently occurring form of all cancers. More than one out of every three new cancers is a skin cancer, and the vast majority are BCCs.

Tony
04-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Ingredients to stay away from is vitamin A and hormone-disrupting oxybenzone. Popular sunscreen brands like Rite Aid, Neutrogena, and Coppertone routinely landed in EWG's more dangerous sunscreen list. Also all sprays!

Shadwhand
04-13-2016, 06:38 PM
Sunscreen's always a big thing if you go into any research about skin care in general. I like looking young and not having wrinkles so I might be an outlier but I do like making sure my face has a significant amount of sunscreen on it.

Here's a blog entry linked from reddit about sunscreen:

http://www.kindofstephen.com/post/142738822147/11-research-backed-tips-to-get-the-most-out-of

I personally like stuff that's matte and doesn't actually smell like the pool/summer.

I've been using a lot of Korean/Japanese sunscreens, partially because my girlfriend has them and because I've started looking into them. Regulations are tighter in Asia at the moment and the ingredients used are lighter/less irritating. Check out any of the waterproof stuff rated at SPF50/PA+++++.

jpw
04-14-2016, 04:40 AM
long sleeves, gloves, high neck, sun cream, UV lip balm, helmet with a peak, headband covering ears, UV glasses, and sometimes even UV leg protectors. Basically i cover as much of my skin as i can most of the time. don't end up like golfers.

superbowlpats
04-14-2016, 06:37 AM
I get yearly examinations and use this http://www.enduranceshield.com/home

bcroslin
05-28-2016, 06:32 PM
Dredging this back up - anyone have recommendations for a good sweat-proof sunscreen for your face? I burned my face pretty good today on a 3-hour ride even though I put sunscreen on. Level of difficulty is I'm in FL and ride in 85% plus humidity and I'm constantly fighting sunscreen/ sweat in my eyes.

mnoble485
05-28-2016, 06:47 PM
I too am always in search of a face friendly sunscreen. Went out today also for a forty mile ride. I bought sun sleeves at the LBS and wore them for the first time. I was sceptical but they really "disappeared" 5 minutes into the ride. Two thumbs up.

Mike

mjf
05-28-2016, 08:37 PM
I too am always in search of a face friendly sunscreen. Went out today also for a forty mile ride. I bought sun sleeves at the LBS and wore them for the first time. I was sceptical but they really "disappeared" 5 minutes into the ride. Two thumbs up.

Mike

I've really been wondering the best option to go with this as well. I would typically think that they would add to my body overheating, but to both protect my skin/tattoos, it seems to be the best option.

Thoughts?

mnoble485
05-29-2016, 06:11 AM
I had to not think of them as arm warmers. The material is very thin and breathable. Their marketing says they actually cool the arms because of evaporation. Not sure about that but they certainly weren't hot. Probably cooler because they are white.

Mike

slidey
05-29-2016, 07:13 AM
I used the EWG's analysis to zero in on Goddess garden sunscreen. Have been using it for approx 2 years, and its pretty good, plus its good to know I'm not smearing myself with chemicals.

http://www.goddessgarden.com/product-category/sunscreen/kids/

wingnut
05-31-2016, 09:19 PM
Kiehl's Ultra Facial Moisturizer with SPF. Feels great, smells good (not heavily scented; just a clean fresh smell) and seems to work well. For heavy sun you'd want something more, but this is a good base/everyday option.

Another vote for Kiehl's SPF for the face. For the body, I use Neutrogena Ultra Sheer.

Powerfibers
06-01-2016, 07:31 AM
I have been wearing UV sleeves even on the warmest days (75-80 F). They work great, and I liked the price of about $11 a piece on Amazon. They are cooler than having bare arms and wick moisture well. I use a little 70 SPF Coppertone on the face and neck, but am going to look into some of the milder recommended sunblocks. My skin does not like the sunblock at all!

Britishbane
06-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Don't know if this has been posted before: http://www.ewg.org/

They found some big name brands that didn't fare so well, Neutrogena was one of them.

batman1425
06-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Didn't look at the ewg site too much, but for those with more experience - are they considering the concentration of the "bad" stuff or just presence or absence? Sure, many things are dangerous in high concentrations - even water - but if there are negligible amounts from a biological or pharmacological perspective of a potentially dangerous compound, the products still could be quite safe. This is why we have things like MSDS and LD50 values. Also have to consider availability - how much of those compounds actually make it beyond the skin surface?

Not arguing for or against, just a scientist interested in more information.

bcroslin
06-01-2016, 08:15 AM
I just looked up the Banana Boat Kids sunscreen stick that I've been using on the EWG site and I'm pretty sure I'm typing this from the afterlife because its a toxic stew.

I think I'm going to give the SunBum stick a try. It gets good ratings on EWG and I've heard good things about it.

MattTuck
06-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Don't know if this has been posted before: http://www.ewg.org/

They found some big name brands that didn't fare so well, Neutrogena was one of them.

Am I missing something? That site seems to make it very hard to find the top rated sun screen. You have to search by brand, and then see how it rated?

Am I missing a list where you can sort by the rating?

batman1425
06-01-2016, 08:51 AM
I've used the sunbum stuff. I like it for rides under 2 hours. Long than that and I need something that is more sweat proof, though the "sport" ones seem to be really hard to remove afterwards, even with scrubbing in the shower.

Pro tip I learned recently - fill up an old contact lens case with sunscreen and toss it in your jersey pocket or saddle bag. Just enough for a re-application on the arms and face mid ride!

slidey
06-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Am I missing something? That site seems to make it very hard to find the top rated sun screen. You have to search by brand, and then see how it rated?

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/

and, consequently

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/

I'm not convinced that a "top-10 rating" is the way to go for this use-case, as its not as in with restaurants/spas/hotels, that you're pitting the cream of the crop against the rest.

I think the layout that exists at the locations indicated above is a reasonable way to communicate the information.

Britishbane
06-01-2016, 09:06 AM

the site sucks, admittedly. It is also very difficult to get to their research sources. I just threw it up there as a resource.

bagochips3
06-01-2016, 07:36 PM
I had a melanoma last year (and a basal cell carcinoma). Neither was any fun and I was off the bike for a month for each (both were on my legs). I have always been pretty good about wearing sunscreen, but now I am obviously way more fanatical about it. Not wearing sunscreen makes as much sense to me as not wearing a helmet.

Coincidentally, I went to my dermatologist today and asked what they recommend. For daily use, they said this:

https://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Healthy-Defense-Moisturizer-Sensitive/dp/B005IHVOVO/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1464826853&sr=1-4&keywords=Neutrogena+Healthy+Defense+Daily+Moisturi zer+SPF+50+with+PureScreen-Sensitive+Skin

If you are going to a baseball game or similar and will be in the sun for many hours, they said this:

https://www.amazon.com/Vanicream-Sunscreen-Lotion-SPF-50/dp/B00LA8VE5G/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1464827111&sr=1-3&keywords=vanicream+sensitive+skin

The downside to the Vanicream is it is thick white and you might look like a life guard with it on, but it will protect you the best.

FWIW