PDA

View Full Version : Enve Road Fork

soulspinner
04-12-2016, 03:45 PM
Just on the website, see no Enve 1.0 Have they stopped producing it?

eddief
04-12-2016, 03:56 PM
too much liability?

ldamelio
04-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Never saw the point. Paper thin steerer tube to save a few grams. Meaningless performance-wise but concerning safety-wise. I'm a big Enve fan (two of their cross and two 2.0 forks) but have always steered away (pun not intended) from the 1.0

jtbadge
04-12-2016, 04:06 PM
Looks like their canti cross fork is gone, too. I think Ritchey is the only one left. Damn shame.

eBAUMANN
04-12-2016, 04:36 PM
yep, 1.0 and straight steerer canti fork are discontinued last i heard.

unfortunate, as both were favorites of mine.

zank
04-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Tapered canti is discontinued too.

sparky33
04-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Looks like their canti cross fork is gone, too. I think Ritchey is the only one left. Damn shame.

The world has gone mad.

Canti's will always be cool, even if they are not the stoppiest.

Ryun
04-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Yeah I really like the 1.0 straight. Call me crazy but I thought it smoother than the 2.0.
I heard it was just a decision to lower number of skus

I have a couple on bikes and love em
Never heard of any issues with them despite the thin steerer

eBAUMANN
04-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Tapered canti is discontinued too.

SERIOUSLY?!
Now THAT is stupid.

cadence90
04-12-2016, 07:22 PM

The world has gone mad.

If anyone is looking for one Fair Wheel Bikes have 1 (perhaps 2) ENVE CX canti straight steerer forks in stock.
Not very many of them out there now.

SERIOUSLY?!
Now THAT is stupid.
Yes, especially with the Road Disc recall.

I went looking for fork boxes the other day; no lbs had even one. It's like the wheel box shortage due to the Zipp recall.

jtbadge
05-09-2016, 12:19 AM
SERIOUSLY?!
Now THAT is stupid.

Saw today that the tapered canti forks are on clearance at Chain Reaction. They had a code which brings it down to $191, which is a STUPID deal. Bought one without a frame to pair it with at the moment.

Also, FWIW, Whisky has introduced a new straight steerer canti cross fork:

http://whiskyparts.co/files/prod/no7_carbon_cx_fork_straight_canti_01.png

soulspinner
05-09-2016, 04:55 AM
Yeah I really like the 1.0 straight. Call me crazy but I thought it smoother than the 2.0.
I heard it was just a decision to lower number of skus

I have a couple on bikes and love em
Never heard of any issues with them despite the thin steerer

Hampsten cycles made them standard on some frames and says they do ride a touch smoother....wanna pick one up to replace an old Reynolds fork just because.

chiasticon
05-09-2016, 06:52 AM
The world has gone mad.

Canti's will always be cool, even if they are not the stoppiest.this is indeed heartbreaking news. looks like I need to start stockpiling canti forks.

it's surprising to me they'd stop making them, given that there are still plenty of people that want canti's. especially given that you almost always find an enve fork on a custom build and custom builders are where people are slowly having to turn to if they want a canti cross bike.

wonder if this is related to the recent purchase of the company? trying to change their focus or simplify perhaps?

thirdgenbird
05-09-2016, 07:49 AM
That whisky fork looks pretty nice. Maybe I should grab one for my yeti before it disappears as well. If I could just sell that extra framset....

seanile
05-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Saw today that the tapered canti forks are on clearance at Chain Reaction. They had a code which brings it down to $191, which is a STUPID deal. Bought one without a frame to pair it with at the moment.
that is insane.

phoenix
05-09-2016, 10:37 AM
I just don’t understand why they, or anybody would stop producing a straight canti carbon fork. It’s a conspiracy I tell you!

Mzilliox
05-09-2016, 10:46 AM
The world has gone mad.

My canti's stop the **** out of me. I can't imagine needing more than what mine do...

jtbadge
05-09-2016, 10:59 AM
that is insane.

The deal, or buying one without a bike to use it on? Haha

My canti's stop the **** out of me. I can't imagine needing more than what mine do...

+1. Let alone mini-Vs. I locked up 40c tires on pavement this weekend with my MiniMotos.

livingminimal
05-09-2016, 12:07 PM
it's surprising to me they'd stop making them, given that there are still plenty of people that want canti's.

Most of the people that want Cantis in 2016 on a new build, in my own non-scientific estimation, already have lifetime bikes in the way of steel, custom steeds. That market seems...limited.

especially given that you almost always find an enve fork on a custom build and custom builders are where people are slowly having to turn to if they want a canti cross bike.

You will have a very hard time scaling what is quickly becoming a disappearing and extremely niche market segment. Minimums on these Chinese-made forks is going to be more than the market requires, I would guess.

wonder if this is related to the recent purchase of the company? trying to change their focus or simplify perhaps?

It's economics and trends. I mean, even if they weren't recently partnered, they cant afford to be totally niche. Most consumers not looking to join disc already have bikes they're quite happy with, might be the least likely to make entirely new purchases, are resourceful at finding used/discount products etc.

Someone called this insane...what's insane is not making a change that is dictated by the clear direction the market is going.

I get the sense a company like ENVE or QBP didn't make a decision like this in a vacuum.

And, just so were clear, I am not turning this into a disc v. canti debate. I too find it a bit sad that this day is passing. I think very little looks cooler than Paul brakes on a custom steel bike. I just think these are entirely decisions driven by economic forces, which is probably spurred big time by the recent resurgence in 'cross popularity and the number of people coming into it for the first time and the level of traction disc is gaining as a result...for better or worse.

chiasticon
05-09-2016, 12:35 PM
I just think these are entirely decisions driven by economic forces, which is probably spurred big time by the recent resurgence in 'cross popularity and the number of people coming into it for the first time and the level of traction disc is gaining as a result...for better or worse.fair enough, but one of the biggest bike manufacturers in the world is one of the only ones still making production cross bikes (top level, carbon ones included) with cantis as an option, and they were doing this before they started sponsoring one of the biggest Belgian teams, who will more-than-likely be racing cantis. and I'm not talking about Ridley, who also still make all their cross bikes in both disc and canti variants.

if those two still think it's a good idea - and remember they're making entire bikes, not just forks - then it's strange to me that Enve doesn't.

seanile
05-09-2016, 12:45 PM
The deal, or buying one without a bike to use it on? Haha

the deal! i bought one too after i read your post. i have one on a frame already, so this will be my backup for when my fat ass inevitably destroys that one in an OTB fiasco.

Waldo
05-09-2016, 12:56 PM
I don't remember ever seeing forward facing dropouts like this:

Snip: ...Also, FWIW, Whisky has introduced a new straight steerer canti cross fork:

http://whiskyparts.co/files/prod/no7_carbon_cx_fork_straight_canti_01.png

eBAUMANN
05-09-2016, 01:12 PM
I don't remember ever seeing forward facing dropouts like this:

Snip:

Usually only used for disc forks, but maybe if it doesnt really matter as much for rim brakes they just streamlined their production and left em all forward facing.

Vinci
05-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Never saw the point. Paper thin steerer tube to save a few grams. Meaningless performance-wise but concerning safety-wise. I'm a big Enve fan (two of their cross and two 2.0 forks) but have always steered away (pun not intended) from the 1.0
The steerer wall thickness on my Enve 1.0 is thicker than my Easton EC90SLX. It's actually thick enough that I am barely able to fit a compression plug in it, which is quite annoying at times.

adamhell
05-09-2016, 05:47 PM
against my (absence of) judgment, i bought one of those $190 enve tapered canti fork. i also don't have a bike to put it on. :rolleyes:

eBAUMANN
05-09-2016, 05:49 PM
something tells me in about 5-6 months we are gonna see a flurry of enve cx forks pop up in the classifieds...:rolleyes:

NYCfixie
05-09-2016, 06:59 PM
I think Enve has gone mad. $750 for the Gravel Fork? That is more than their MTB fork.

eBAUMANN
05-09-2016, 07:03 PM
I think Enve has gone mad. $750 for the Gravel Fork? That is more than their MTB fork.

BUT IT COMES WITH A FENDER!

Ya know, cause everyone was begging for a $250(?) fender...

NYCfixie
05-09-2016, 07:25 PM
BUT IT COMES WITH A FENDER!

Ya know, cause everyone was begging for a $250(?) fender...

Sorry, missed that it was included. By my calculations:

$750 Gravel TA with Fender
$542 Cross TA

$208 for the fender. FCUK!

At least the Parlee (http://store.parleecycles.com/collections/parts/products/parlee-gravel-cross-fork-disc-brake) is only $675 for TA and $625 for QR

Slow Eddie
05-10-2016, 09:18 AM
Advanced Composites (http://woundupcomposites.com/team-x-filament-wound-carbon-cyclocross-fork) still makes a straight 1-1/8" canti fork...