PDA

View Full Version : Repainting frames

oldmill
06-18-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm thinking about getting a frame repainted, and wanted to see if anyone had a painter to recommend out there aside from Joe Bell or Serotta.

Smiley
06-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Yeah take it to JB and wait for it .... for a long time. My advice is go to the guys that paint Sacha Whites bikes , they are in Oregon , I think he lists them on his web site.

wasfast
06-18-2006, 06:01 PM
I believe Acme is Vanilla's painter. Spectrum Powder Works in Colorado is also an excellent choice with powder coating appearance that rivals wet finishes.

harlond
06-18-2006, 07:40 PM
I got a nice job at a good price from Guy Loomis at Loomis Powdercoating.

Bruce K
06-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Hot Tubes in Worcester, MA does a pretty good job.

They paint Zanc's bikes.

BK

texbike
06-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Check out Dave Sem in San Antonio, Texas. His website is www.semcustompaint.com .

His work is excellent and his prices are VERY reasonable. He has done a number of Serottas, Colnagos, Merckxs, Calfees, Treks, etc. Check out the gallery on his website. I believe he has also done a bit of work for a couple of the custom builders who occasionally visit this site.

Cheers,

Texbike

55/Rad
06-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah take it to JB and wait for it .... for a long time. My advice is go to the guys that paint Sacha Whites bikes...
Acme Bicycle Paint - Dean Cannard - does the Vanillas. Great work but fast is not a word in his repertoire. Not even reasonably fast. For instance, I delivered a frame to him on July 27 and am still waiting for it.

That's July 27, 2004 - 2 freakin' years and counting. I know several people with similar stories.

I'd recommend Steve Forseness at G-Forse in Hayden Idaho. Not as well known as JB or as in-demand as Dean, but from what I can tell, every bit as good.

55/Rad

atmo
06-18-2006, 10:20 PM
That's July 27, 2004 - 2 freakin' years and counting. I know several people with similar stories.

hi - i mean no disrespect, especially since you're a newer post-er
here, but i've been reading about this paint job for what seems like
forever, first on bikeforums.net, and now here. is there any clue
wrt the delay? some communication? does the painter know you're
posting about this online? are you "letting" him take his time whilst
you're venting about the delay? it seems to me that if he's taken
that long and you're ??? months past the agreed-upon deadline, that
some dresden-esque firebombing might be in order.
please - i've read all the accounts. what is the painter's perspective
on this 2-freakin' years paint job atmo?
curious in episcoville.

Big Dan
06-18-2006, 10:23 PM
imho Elvis has left the building............... :eek:
and I think he had a frame with him.......... :bike:

atmo
06-18-2006, 10:31 PM
imho Elvis has left the building............... :eek:
and I think he had a frame with him.......... :bike:
thank you
thank you very much atmo

55/Rad
06-19-2006, 12:38 AM
hi - i mean no disrespect, especially since you're a newer post-er
here, but i've been reading about this paint job for what seems like
forever, first on bikeforums.net, and now here. is there any clue
wrt the delay? some communication? does the painter know you're
posting about this online? are you "letting" him take his time whilst
you're venting about the delay? it seems to me that if he's taken
that long and you're ??? months past the agreed-upon deadline, that
some dresden-esque firebombing might be in order.
please - i've read all the accounts. what is the painter's perspective
on this 2-freakin' years paint job atmo?
curious in episcoville.
I see the frame every week as I live in Portland - and of course, we talk a lot. Dean knows I post about it - and he also knows I choose my words carefully - being fair and honest yet still willing and able to communicate my frustration.

The frame is an '04 Lemond Tete - 1/2 carbon and 1/2 ti. The paint plays off the 2 materials in kind of a "bliss meets pain" theme. It's 90% done and too far along to pull the job and send to someone else - though I've certainly thought a LOT about it. I'm essentially at his mercy.

Dean is very dedicated to Sacha and makes no secret that his work comes first. And he does have relationships with some other small builders. Still, the original estimate was 3 months.

The only problem I have is that I've emotionally moved off the project. 2 years ago, I wanted a carbon/ti dream bike and settled for the Lemond as I got a great deal on a used frame. Now I'm building 2 late 80's Italian steel bikes - a Pinarello and a Giordana - and am having a blast hunting down the period correct Campy parts.

When it's done, I'll never know but I may just end up hanging it on the wall. Until then, I've got plenty of projects and bikes to ride.

55/Rad

DarrenCT
06-19-2006, 04:50 AM
did you think about getting an IF or serrota as a titanium dream bike rather than a lemond? :)

William
06-19-2006, 05:27 AM
Hot Tubes in Worcester, MA does a pretty good job.

They paint Zanc's bikes.

BK

I second that. They're Effin great!! :banana: :cool:

Yeah take it to JB and wait for it .... for a long time. My advice is go to the guys that paint Sacha Whites bikes , they are in Oregon , I think he lists them on his web site.

I believe the same folks who were once Class Act Coatings. If so, they painted the Skunkbird and her clone and did a bang up job. :cool:

William

55/Rad
06-19-2006, 08:57 AM
I believe the same folks who were once Class Act Coatings. If so, they painted the Skunkbird and her clone and did a bang up job.
Class Act Paint and Powder in Portland is a fine shop - they've done 2 frames for me, a powdercoat of a Lemond steel and a full restore of a carbon Trek - see below.

Del does very good work but really specializes in volume production work - thus, I wouldn't put him the same league as JB or Dean in terms of attention to detail. He apparently didn't share philosophies with Sacha, having only worked on 1 Vanilla (I believe). He's certainly a great option in terms of price, quality, expediency and service and I can highly recommend him.

FWIW - Dean at Acme got his start in the business by doing production work for Del at Class Act.

55/Rad

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3163/overheadwidecropped1mx.jpg

atmo
06-19-2006, 09:13 AM
I see the frame every week as I live in Portland - and of course, we talk a lot. Dean knows I post about it - and he also knows I choose my words carefully - being fair and honest yet still willing and able to communicate my frustration.
Still, the original estimate was 3 months.

55/Rad

if he said three months and it's now past two years,
and you both are seeing each other every week, it
may be the case that you're being what gerald ford
would call an enabler. is there some reason you don't
cut the cord? reading about this makes me feel for
both parties involved. what would dean's p.o.v. be
if he were posting?

55/Rad
06-19-2006, 09:44 AM
if he said three months and it's now past two years,
and you both are seeing each other every week, it
may be the case that you're being what gerald ford
would call an enabler. is there some reason you don't
cut the cord? reading about this makes me feel for
both parties involved. what would dean's p.o.v. be
if he were posting?
Of course I am the enabler - I gave him a deposit and I don't yell loud enough. I would have pulled it a year ago but 2 things kept me from doing it. First, I believe there isn't a better craftsman than Dean and second, he was too far into it to strip it and start over.

What would Dean say here in the forum? He'd explain about how busy he is and how he doesn't have the help etc.. He'd allude to his free form "create as I go" work style and the changes I requested almost a year into the project - all of which were made to make his life easier and help him "get off the pot".

Finally, for the most part, Dean doesn't care what the general public thinks of him. If he did, there wouldn't be so many people upset with him. He knows his work will always be his calling card and that the framebuilders are his bread and butter - not the one-offs that walk in off the street or the guy who sends his frame across the country but never meets him face to face. He's the nicest guy in the world but has zero ability to manage his time or his business efficiently. I can't tell you how many times I've contemplated approaching him about investing in and managing his operation - but the bottom line is he's a one man operation immersed in his own style who's not about to change.

I love the guy. I just want my frame to be done.

55/Rad

atmo
06-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Of course I am the enabler - I gave him a deposit and I don't yell loud enough. I would have pulled it a year ago but 2 things kept me from doing it. First, I believe there isn't a better craftsman than Dean and second, he was too far into it to strip it and start over.

What would Dean say here in the forum? He'd explain about how busy he is and how he doesn't have the help etc.. He'd allude to his free form "create as I go" work style and the changes I requested almost a year into the project - all of which were made to make his life easier and help him "get off the pot".

Finally, for the most part, Dean doesn't care what the general public thinks of him. If he did, there wouldn't be so many people upset with him. He knows his work will always be his calling card and that the framebuilders are his bread and butter - not the one-offs that walk in off the street or the guy who sends his frame across the country but never meets him face to face. He's the nicest guy in the world but has zero ability to manage his time or his business efficiently. I can't tell you how many times I've contemplated investing in and managing his operation - but the bottom line is he's a one man operation and he's not going to change.

I love the guy. I just want my frame to be done.

55/Rad

well that all makes sense atmo.
for well over a year i have seen the posts
about the frame and dean and felt that there
were facts missing. thanks for filling in the blanks.

catulle
06-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Hay amores que matan, atmo.

davids
06-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Another shout-out for Hot Tubes - They were painting Sevens when mine was made, and the paint's great - Beautiful, even, and durable.

Serotta PETE
06-19-2006, 12:10 PM
I'm thinking about getting a frame repainted, and wanted to see if anyone had a painter to recommend out there aside from Joe Bell or Serotta.

Tom K at Spectrum (yes our Tom) does a great job of repaints and it is next to difficult to tell from original. I would highly recomment him!!

SPOKES has used him on a MASI and no one is more particular than him.

If it is a Serotta you are painting, I have had nothing but praise for the te :banana: am in SARATOGA!!! It will be as new!!!!!

SoCalSteve
06-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Tom K at Spectrum (yes our Tom) does a great job of repaints and it is next to difficult to tell from original. I would highly recomment him!!

SPOKES has used him on a MASI and no one is more particular than him.

If it is a Serotta you are painting, I have had nothing but praise for the te :banana: am in SARATOGA!!! It will be as new!!!!!

I can vouch for that as I've had 2 frames repainted by them! (CSI & an Hors Cat, which I sold)

Good luck,

Steve

oldmill
06-19-2006, 07:39 PM
Hey - thanks for the suggestions

Sacha White
06-19-2006, 11:37 PM
[QUOTE=55/Rad] He apparently didn't share philosophies with Sacha, having only worked on 1 Vanilla (I believe). He's certainly a great option in terms of price, quality, expediency and service and I can highly recommend him.
55/Rad

It has nothing to do with Philosophy. I have had two people ask to have there frames powder coated. For this service, I go to Del. For wet paint I like Dean.

-Sacha

Sacha White
06-19-2006, 11:49 PM

snipped..
55/Rad

Rad, I am curious what your current agreement is with Dean. Has he been telling you "next week" or has he said that he is dedicated to his industry customers and he will get to it when he can.

-Sacha

inGobwetrust
06-19-2006, 11:58 PM
At least Dean communicates with you guys. I've been trying to get him to answer one question for me for a couple of months now. He called me back once back in April and said he'd email me some info and that's the last time I've heard from him. I wouldn't be so frustrated if he hadn't told me he'd get back to me. It's all about service.......... or lack thereof.

capitán
06-20-2006, 07:55 AM
At least Dean communicates with you guys. I've been trying to get him to answer one question for me for a couple of months now. He called me back once back in April and said he'd email me some info and that's the last time I've heard from him. I wouldn't be so frustrated if he hadn't told me he'd get back to me. It's all about service.......... or lack thereof.

For a guy who only does business via his voicemail box, the only answer is to keep said box full of your messages. It's a guerrilla warfare tactic, but when someone holds your pride and joy hostage for months (or years) with no reasonable explanation, it's justifiable. I'd recommend filling the box with black metal. PM me if you need the names of some good titles.

Bruce K
06-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Pete;

I too like the paint guys at Serotta, having had my Concours re-done and the polish job on the cross bike is outstanding.

I just solicited a quote to have an Atlanta frame which I was contemplating buying from Bill Bove re-painted in 2 colors with the lugs contrasting. The quote was $800.00 !!! :eek: Well over twice the cost of said frame.

That seemed a bit too much to me.

I would pay a premium for a Serotta factory re-paint of a Serotta frame, but not that kind of premium.

The price quoted may also be a function of how busy the factory currently is and a desire by Serotta to discourage re-painting at this time, but Serotta James will have to answer that one to get the real answer.

BK

Bittersweet
06-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Does anyone use CyclArt anymore? My Mooney was painted by them in '96 but I don't hear them mentioned much. The paint is beautiful and the lug outlines are very crisp.