PDA

View Full Version : New Speedvagen OG1

ANAO
04-12-2016, 07:05 AM
Hmm, that purple is pretty...

http://www.thevanillaworkshop.com/ready-made

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52b27a54e4b01dead0d25335/56ca8ee9d51cd43817747944/56d1e245cf80a164065834a9/1456610712225/1.jpg?format=1500w

We are proud to introduce the OG1, the first model in our Ready-Made program. With the Speedvagen Ready-Made program, you get our very best workhorse race machine. It's designed, built, painted, and tuned right here in our Portland Oregon workshop, costs about $5000 and ships out within 2-3 days, bringing a new definition of handbuilt bicycle to the market.

Speedvagen was born from a desire to keep top-tier handbuilt bikes accessible to our friends and fellow racers. People like us! And with all Speedvagen up to this point being custom with a longer wait, the OG1 marks a return to the our roots with a bike that embodies the core Speedvagen values. The OG1 (Original Gangster) is a beautiful, minimalist, bombproof race machine with the legendary ride quality that you'd expect from us. Every OG1 is built right here in The Vanilla Workshop in Portland, OR.
OG1 frames are produced in small batches, making for a very nice price, while offering riders a truly hand built experience without waiting months, or even years for a bike. Our goal is to have a new OG1 in it's new owner's hands within as little as a few days of ordering.

Highlights:

5 standard sizes ranging from 50 to 58 (50,52,54,56,58).

2 iconic color options – Matte Army & Matte Lavender.

Painted in house, utilizing Speedvagen Ghost graphics.

Berzerker dropouts.

Integrated seatmast.

The lightest custom drawn steel tubing from Columbus and True Temper

Strategically placed stainless reinforcements.

We've built the OG1 component package for great function, shredability and longevity. You'll notice a mix of Durace and Ultegra - an old racer's secret (performance where it matters and economy where it counts) as well as a nice lightweight year-round set of Mavic wheels. Here's the full spec:

Shimano Dura Ace mechanical shifters and rear derailleur.

Shimano Ultegra front derailleur, cranks, cassette, chain and brakes.

Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels & tires.

Fizik Antares saddle.

PRO handlebar wrapped in Fizik.

Ritchey seatpost head & painted PRO PLT stem.

Painted ENVE 2.0 road fork.

We couldn't be happier about the OG1, and we hope you are as well. If you are ready to order one of the first 20, you can do so here, and if you have any questions the door is always open.

alexstar
04-12-2016, 07:25 AM
Looks great. It does seem to mark a return to the original intent of the Speedvagen program. I hope they do a cross version.

Blown Reek
04-12-2016, 07:51 AM
I wonder what the frameset only price will be.

Cornfed
04-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Love it. Agree w alexstar -- would be awesome if the army green version were the cross version.

As an aside, I do wish Shimano would go all black on Ultegra. The dark grey looks cool, but is hard to match w other components.

beeatnik
04-12-2016, 09:20 AM
I wonder what the frameset only price will be.

You may be missing the (OG) point.

chiasticon
04-12-2016, 09:22 AM
love it. and yes, cross version please (they love cross and have a team, it'll happen). now, to start saving $5k...

Pegoready
04-12-2016, 09:47 AM
Very cool. A straight up race bike with a smart gruppo. I like that it is a complete bike.

I love the new SV, but all the options and upcharges are bewildering. This is a re-centering of the concept.

jtbadge
04-12-2016, 09:53 AM
I like this a lot. Most of their trademark features - dropouts, seatmast, matching stem - with incredible turnaround and decent pricepoint.

SoCalSteve
04-12-2016, 09:56 AM
I guess they don't feel tall people want one...:confused:

Ryun
04-12-2016, 09:58 AM
It is the same frameset as a normal sv just limited color choices and sizes.
Everything else is the same.
I've had one for a couple of weeks and it is very nice .
It's a smart spec that is easily upgradable of time.

The Matte lavender looks fantastic in person

saab2000
04-12-2016, 09:59 AM
I guess they don't feel tall people want one...:confused:

Won't you people ever learn? Tall people aren't supposed to ride bikes. They are supposed to play basketball.

Oh wait..... :beer:

http://www.adventurecorps.com/mlbc/2010/2010show5/images/DSC04033.jpg

ORMojo
04-12-2016, 11:53 AM
This is very interesting and tempting. It does seem to compare very favorably with most custom full builds we discuss here, both on price and specs/features, and that turn-around time is fantastic.

However, be careful . . .

I love the new SV, but all the options and upcharges are bewildering. This is a re-centering of the concept.

"Your deposit and choice of color and size adds your name to the build queue. After receiving the deposit we will contact you to talk through upgrade options and any questions you have." (Emphasis added!)

SoCalSteve
04-12-2016, 11:56 AM
This is very interesting and tempting. It does seem to compare very favorably with most custom full builds we discuss here, both on price and specs/features, and that turn-around time is fantastic.

However, be careful . . .

"Your deposit and choice of color and size adds your name to the build queue. After receiving the deposit we will contact you to talk through upgrade options and any questions you have." (Emphasis added!)

Wonder if one of the " upgrade options " is building the bike in a 62 cm???

ANAO
04-12-2016, 12:02 PM
wonder if one of the " upgrade options " is building the bike in a 62 cm???

lol

Blown Reek
04-12-2016, 12:08 PM
You may be missing the (OG) point.

Probably.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/PE-dontbelieve.jpg

Ryun
04-12-2016, 12:31 PM
I can tell you the small option list:
Enve wheels
Enve bar and stem
Enve seat mast topper
Painted frame pump
I think that was everything but I don't recall the exact pricing on the bits

I would ---guess--- you could get one in a larger/smaller size just more in the 4-4 week delivery range.
You do get to pick stem length, bar width ,crank length,topper setback
All included in the base price

charliedid
04-12-2016, 12:35 PM
That bike looks unfinished to my eye.

ANAO
04-12-2016, 12:41 PM
I can tell you the small option list:
Enve wheels
Enve bar and stem
Enve seat mast topper
Painted frame pump
I think that was everything but I don't recall the exact pricing on the bits

I would ---guess--- you could get one in a larger/smaller size just more in the 4-4 week delivery range.
You do get to pick stem length, bar width ,crank length,topper setback
All included in the base price

Ryun, can you please post a pic of yours?

Thanks.

pdmtong
04-12-2016, 12:42 PM
RP, I've been thinking about this further...

Looking at this OG1 the buyer really needs to put away their custom bike indulgence fantasy infinite bag of money perspective and consider this as a final purchase with no scope creep allowed. As presented, it's a practical smart affordable and make sense build.

the only upgrade exception might be wheels - nicer for race day and save the elites for training /winter

Every time I look at spec'ing a SV the problem is I end up with a $10k+ bike.
Now, I have a $5k option where my budget stays at $5k

pdmtong
04-12-2016, 12:43 PM
Ryun, can you please post a pic of yours?
Thanks.

for those that cant wait look at RPs new handlebar tape and recent classifieds threads (https://www.flickr.com/photos/56861632@N04/26327374336/in/album-72157666854897732/)

he did juice it up a bit though

R3awak3n
04-12-2016, 12:46 PM
but for 5k you can easily spec a custom bike. I dunno, this bike looks good to me but I have never been enamored by SV and Vanillas. Yes they are nice but so are a lot of other brands, there is nothing "special" about them. of course, IMO and I would ride one but just would not pay for it :)

that said I really like the matte lavender, nice choice.

ANAO
04-12-2016, 12:48 PM
but for 5k you can easily spec a custom bike. I dunno, this bike looks good to me but I have never been enamored by SV and Vanillas. Yes they are nice but so are a lot of other brands, there is nothing "special" about them. of course, IMO and I would ride one but just would not pay for it :)

that said I really like the matte lavender, nice choice.

There was a gold one in Piermont about 2 years ago. It was built with SRAM Red and Reynolds wheels with pretty white cross tires (cross build).

They wanted 3k, it was mint. Would you ride that?

whateveronfire
04-12-2016, 12:51 PM
A question I've always had about SV. How adjustable is the seat mast? If you order one of these (OG1), how do you adjust the thing?

I'm intrigued by this, but don't get the sizing. Maybe I'm just being dense, but every bike I've ever bought has an adjustable seat tube.

The purple one... :hello:

chiasticon
04-12-2016, 01:08 PM
A question I've always had about SV. How adjustable is the seat mast? If you order one of these (OG1), how do you adjust the thing?they trim it to your desired saddle height, so ideally you don't need to adjust it. as far as adjustability, I don't know about SV's but most bikes with seatmast toppers will allow you to move the topper up about 2cm. it's enough to allow for you to buy new shoes with a different stack height, but maybe not enough to sell it to a guy who's a couple inches taller than you. (I say this getting ready to modify the seatmast of a bike I bought, so that I can install a standard seatpost, because the mast is too short.)

Ryun
04-12-2016, 01:10 PM
I rode mine stock except the wheels for a while but have swapped some bits out recently

Sorry I'm traveling and away from my computer but here are a couple from flikr

https://flic.kr/p/Fi2ckx
https://flic.kr/p/FhQxbN
https://flic.kr/p/FhQz3U

https://flic.kr/p/FNb6ih

ANAO
04-12-2016, 01:38 PM
I rode mine stock except the wheels for a while but have swapped some bits out recently

Sorry I'm traveling and away from my computer but here are a couple from flikr

https://flic.kr/p/Fi2ckx
https://flic.kr/p/FhQxbN
https://flic.kr/p/FhQz3U

https://flic.kr/p/FNb6ih

It's a pretty bike, and the raised ghost lettering is a cool touch. I would probably go with the army green.

JMacII
04-12-2016, 01:48 PM
So Vanilla got too precious and they launched Speedvagen and then Speedvagen got just as precious and so comes OG1.

Got it. Nice purple though.

christian
04-12-2016, 02:12 PM
So Vanilla got too precious and they launched Speedvagen and then Speedvagen got just as precious and so comes OG1..LOL. My thoughts exactly.

54ny77
04-12-2016, 02:20 PM
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/61853294.jpg

:p

So Vanilla got too precious and they launched Speedvagen and then Speedvagen got just as precious and so comes OG1.

Got it. Nice purple though.

sandyrs
04-12-2016, 02:23 PM

$500 upcharge for the extra steel

R3awak3n
04-12-2016, 03:58 PM
There was a gold one in Piermont about 2 years ago. It was built with SRAM Red and Reynolds wheels with pretty white cross tires (cross build).

They wanted 3k, it was mint. Would you ride that?

would I ride it? yes but they really are not my thing. But I am sure they are great bikes and I do think the dude is a good builder.

benb
04-12-2016, 04:14 PM
$5k for a steel bike w/Ultegra in stock sizes seems like insanity. I get cachet but you might as well have a custom frame if you're going to pay that kind of money.

None of those sizes fit me so no need for me to debate it.

54ny77
04-12-2016, 04:20 PM
$5k for anything stock is insanity, but that's the going rate for mid/upper mid XYZ BigBikeCo. carbon too. So, it's priced with the market. Personally, I'd rather have a Ritchey Logic steel and save a couple grand. But, that's sorta oranges to grapefruit comparison. Both citrus, but....different.

Guess we'll see how the market speaks.

If anything, I wish them well. There's employees there who have jobs, etc. Whatever it takes to keep 'em going, more power to 'em.

$5k for a steel bike w/Ultegra in stock sizes seems like insanity. I get cachet but you might as well have a custom frame if you're going to pay that kind of money.

None of those sizes fit me so no need for me to debate it.

beeatnik
04-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Ryun, wouldn't a stock SV make it tough for you to hit your saddle to bar drop numbers? Or did you just size down?

Climb01742
04-12-2016, 04:34 PM
The geometry seems a bit aggressive. A 56 has a 56TT but only a 14.1 HT. By comparison, a Pegoretti 56 has 56.5TT with a 17.5 HT. Both are race bikes. And no one's ever accused Dario of making upright cruisers. Bless those who can ride a 14.1 HT, but it ain't me.:D

beeatnik
04-12-2016, 05:01 PM
^Interesting, IIRC, their stock 56 geo used to have a 24cm head tube. Something tall like dat. :D

velomonkey
04-12-2016, 05:01 PM
I ask this totally serious.

Hampsten Max - $2800
Shimano Dura Ace Everything - $1400
Fulcrum Racing zero wheels - $600
Deda Zero cockpit, Fizik saddle, Conti Grand Prix 4 tires and tubes - $350

total - $5,150

Pros on Hampsten Max
100% custom made frame
Upgrade to all dura ace, not DA/Ultegra mix
Upgrade in wheels to Fulcrum Racing 1 from Mavic Elite

Pros on SV og1
It's a speedvagen
Paint (if theirs is your thing)
Painted stem

Am I missing anything - I'm not at all knocking SV, I am just trying to isolate their premium.

beeatnik
04-12-2016, 05:05 PM
veloM, in all fairness to the Vagz, the delta between the Ultegra and DA bits is about $350. The only real downgrade is the crankz and they're actually pretty awesome. But, ya, $200 cheaper. Not counting the cassette as the 6800 cassette is known to be superior to 9000.

The wheels to me are a wash.

And didn't they post somewhere that they pay their paint guys something like $50/hour. Not too many $5000 complete bikes include a $1500 paint job.

eBAUMANN
04-12-2016, 05:09 PM
The geometry seems a bit aggressive. A 56 has a 56TT but only a 14.1 HT. By comparison, a Pegoretti 56 has 56.5TT with a 17.5 HT. Both are race bikes. And no one's ever accused Dario of making upright cruisers. Bless those who can ride a 14.1 HT, but it ain't me.:D

Lets take a look at a CAAD10 chart (http://www.pmcycles.com.au/upimages/Cannondale_Bikes/Caad10%202014/2014-caad10-geometry.jpg) real quick, because people seem to like CAAD10's as a general purpose race/ride do-whatever road bike platform, correct?

Their size 56 has a a 155mm headtube, and an INTERNAL HEADSET.
Add on 10-15mm for a top bearing cap and we hit 165-170mm.

Now we look at the size 56 OG - 141mm + 31.4 (CK headset stack) = 172.4mm

I rest my case.

pdmtong
04-12-2016, 05:11 PM

Peg sizing choice in the 54-55-56 models is headtube driven.
you can make the eTT of a 54-55-56 almost identical via 110 or 120 stem. the dramatic variance is in HT.

I ride a stock 56.0 TT (110 stem)
I went with a 55 peg (eTT 55.8) because the HT is 16.0. the 17.5 on the 56 (eTT 56.5) is just too tall. some days I feel like the HT on my 55 is too tall and would love to try a 54 with a 120 stem to lower the front. then again being a bit taller will be nice as I age with the bike.

my stock moots CR 55 (eTT 55.5) is a HT of 14.0
the stock parlee Z3c 56 I sold is a HT of 14.1

SV HT aggressive? not really for the intended purpose of the bike. If you need it taller, it can be built. see jmeloy's SV SM for sale in the classifieds.

velomonkey
04-12-2016, 05:15 PM
I rest my case.

SVs longest Top tube for the og1 is 57.3cm - that means the first two finishers of Paris Roubaix could not ride the og1.

I rest my case. (I know you weren't talking about Top Tubes, just have some fun, buddy)

pdmtong
04-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Hampsten Max - $2800
Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels - $600
total - $5,150
Pros on Hampsten Max
100% custom made frame
Pros on SV og1
It's a speedvagen
Painted stem
Am I missing anything - I'm not at all knocking SV, I am just trying to isolate their premium.
the hampsten will not have the level of 1) SS and CS tube manipulation 2) main triangle bi-axial ovalization and differential end-end tubing diameter that the SV has.

veloM, in all fairness to the Vagz, the delta between the Ultegra and DA bits is about $350. The only real downgrade is the crankz and they're actually pretty awesome. But, ya, $200 cheaper. Not counting the cassette as the 6800 cassette is known to be superior to 9000.
The wheels to me are a wash. And didn't they post somewhere that they pay their paint guys something like $50/hour. Not too many $5000 complete bikes include a $1500 paint job.
there is a premium for paint. I too was mentally trying to spec an equivalent to estimate the premium or discount if any. glad you started the thinking.

a more basic comparison is stock SV, add the parts and then compare the price. is a la carte more than OG1 (meaning OG1 is package discount) or is it less than OG1 (meaning OG1 has a time delivery premium)

velomonkey
04-12-2016, 05:20 PM

The wheels to me are a wash.

And didn't they post somewhere that they pay their paint guys something like $50/hour. Not too many $5000 complete bikes include a $1500 paint job.

Wheels for sure aren't a wash - I get you might not ride them, but Fulcrum racing zero wheels are way, way better than Elites - the wash would be Fulcrum racing 5 or 7 and then that would be $300 cheaper.

I like SV paint, no doubt, but Hampsten sends his out and that dude seems to make a good wage - plus the 7/11 and Hampsten green paint color thing can totally hang with the "ghost" SV paint.

eBAUMANN
04-12-2016, 05:21 PM
SVs longest Top tube for the og1 is 57.3cm - that means the first two finishers of Paris Roubaix could not ride the og1.

I rest my case. (I know you weren't talking about Top Tubes, just have some fun, buddy)

Oh I agree they left a size off the top end of the chart, I can only assume because they determined it to be an outlier when they looked at what size frames they sold the most of.

Kinda reminds me of Wraith in that way.

That said, I doubt it would kill their bottom line to just have a couple 58.5 TT frames hangin around just in case...limit the amount they have on-hand until the demand is proven, something like that.

I do think the most compelling point here so far though is the hamsten price breakdown above...you could get a lot of bike for $5k. For the same money I would go custom over stock any day, no matter who's name is on the downtube of said stock frame, just cause.

the hampsten will not have the level of 1) SS and CS tube manipulation 2) main triangle bi-axial ovalization and differential end-end tubing diameter that the SV has.

1) nice to look at....but thats about it, you would likely not notice a difference in the ride quality in a blind test.
2) any builder can get bi-oval tubing, maybe not TAPERED bi-oval (i wasnt even aware such a thing existed) but the main difference there, again, is primarily aesthetics.

Bottom line, you are paying a premium for a name and the "exclusive features" that come with it...like most things in the bike industry.

whateveronfire
04-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Thank you, that makes sense. 2cm as "wiggle room" makes me nervous. Probably why I shouldn't own a race bike. :eek:

they trim it to your desired saddle height, so ideally you don't need to adjust it. as far as adjustability, I don't know about SV's but most bikes with seatmast toppers will allow you to move the topper up about 2cm. it's enough to allow for you to buy new shoes with a different stack height, but maybe not enough to sell it to a guy who's a couple inches taller than you. (I say this getting ready to modify the seatmast of a bike I bought, so that I can install a standard seatpost, because the mast is too short.)

beeatnik
04-12-2016, 05:23 PM
Wheels for sure aren't a wash - I get you might not ride them, but Fulcrum racing zero wheels are way, way better than Elites - the wash would be Fulcrum racing 5 or 7 and then that would be $300 cheaper.

I like SV paint, no doubt, but Hampsten sends his out and that dude seems to make a good wage - plus the 7/11 and Hampsten green paint color thing can totally hang with the "ghost" SV paint.

Tawt we were talking about Racing 1s

I knew a set of Racing Zeros, they were good friends. Sir, Racing 1s are no Zeros.

velomonkey
04-12-2016, 05:27 PM

there is a premium for paint. I too was mentally trying to spec an equivalent to estimate the premium or discount if any. glad you started the thinking.

a more basic comparison is stock SV, add the parts and then compare the price. is a la carte more than OG1 (meaning OG1 is package discount) or is it less than OG1 (meaning OG1 has a time delivery premium)

I don't what SS and CC tube manipulation is - 'bi-axial' manipulation means nothing to me - my merckx team SC had dead straight seat and chain stays - my cannondale had bendy things in the seat and chain stays - the merckx rode way, way better.

You telling me the SV paint is better than this . . . . if you feel it is I totally get ya - that's cool. Like I said, trying to isolate the premium (and Hamsten aint no lolly gagger). And my only comparison is a another SV? Whaaaaaaaaaa. That makes no sense what-so-ever. I promise, promise you there are shortcomings you can't see - it's not just speed to market and production - for all you know this could be the training ground for the welders looking to up their game using the tubes that didn't meet the cut (not saying it is, but I'm saying there, for sure, is a distinction)

velomonkey
04-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Tawt we were talking about Racing 1s

I knew a set of Racing Zeros, they were good friends. Sir, Racing 1s are no Zeros.

Racing zeros are $618 and 1s are $5 hundred something, we're talking zeros, but I've had elites and I've had zeros and 1s - and elites aren't even kinda sorta close.

93legendti
04-12-2016, 05:41 PM
I like purple, but that seems a bit bland to me.

buldogge
04-12-2016, 05:57 PM
The SSs might be/are manipulated, but that is pretty common action for many builders, especially with gravel and MTB rigs...and...the CSs look like stock Life short-taper stays.

The bi-axial tube(s) can certainly be had stock from Columbus or TT.

I'm sure it's a nice bike, and there is certainly a lot of cachet to the SV name, but there are lot of builders out there that can build a frame with manipulated tubes and nice paint...for a lot less.

Of course, if you just have to have a SV, you're gonna get a SV.

-Mark in St. Louis

I don't what SS and CC tube manipulation is - 'bi-axial' manipulation means nothing to me - my merckx team SC had dead straight seat and chain stays - my cannondale had bendy things in the seat and chain stays - the merckx rode way, way better.

You telling me the SV paint is better than this . . . . if you feel it is I totally get ya - that's cool. Like I said, trying to isolate the premium (and Hamsten aint no lolly gagger). And my only comparison is a another SV? Whaaaaaaaaaa. That makes no sense what-so-ever. I promise, promise you there are shortcomings you can't see - it's not just speed to market and production - for all you know this could be the training ground for the welders looking to up their game using the tubes that didn't meet the cut (not saying it is, but I'm saying there, for sure, is a distinction)

Climb01742
04-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Lets take a look at a CAAD10 chart (http://www.pmcycles.com.au/upimages/Cannondale_Bikes/Caad10%202014/2014-caad10-geometry.jpg) real quick, because people seem to like CAAD10's as a general purpose race/ride do-whatever road bike platform, correct?

I rest my case.

I'm comparing Peg to SV. Dario's frames have external headsets too. So it's apples to apples. I'll bet on Dario's lifetime of knowledge.

But there's clearly a robust market for SVs. Cool. Different strokes, different folks.

buldogge
04-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Ryun...or someone else "in the know"...Are those "ghost graphics" paint over decals or paint over thin braze-on steel logos???

-Mark

pdmtong
04-12-2016, 06:26 PM

The SS are s-curved and flattened like leaf springs near the bridge

The CS are vertically ovalized

the TT , DT and ST have different diameters at each end
- the DT and ST are fatter at the BB
- the TT is fatter at the HT

The Ovalization axis of the TT, DT and ST is 90d different from end to end.
ex the DT is horiz oval at the BB and vertical oval at the HT

think of colorado concept meets seven's swoopy rear stays.

the net of this is a SV isnt just TIG round tubes.

as for paint, only the beholder can judge the "value" of the aesthetic in question. I'm not saying it's better than the pistachio. I'm just saying its a premium paint job. the ghost is normally an upcharge.

in the end, I dont think this is SV vs. other builders. I think this is a way to force out the scope creep that leads SVs to pencil out at $10k and bring the price point back to "affordable"

Ryun
04-12-2016, 06:31 PM
Ryun...or someone else "in the know"...Are those "ghost graphics" paint over decals or paint over thin braze-on steel logos???

-Mark

With the level of small detail on some of the badges(unicorn horn etc) I'd guess something like a decal but not sure

As for my fit ( sorry couldn't do multiple quotes) my reach is about 1 miles shorter and the drop about 1.5 cm less. A lot can be manipulated with bar selection but I rode a stock 56 for awhile so it's familiar

As for value, the frameset is 3750. There are obviously steel frames that are cheaper and some that are more. I've owned a lot of them :)
Almost all of them are nice. I do think there are nice details on this bike that may or may not add value to you: stainless plates on the dropouts, unique brake bridge, flaring on the headtube, cut outs in the cable guide braze ons and seat mast. I like em. A peg as nice as it is, seems plainer by comparison
And I do think their paint is above the average paint shop I have see inthe custom world in terms of finish and durability.

None of these things change the way it rides by the way. Almost all my custom bikes ride nicely. So where this falls on the value equation for each one is a personal decision. All of us would be just as fast on a alum allez with 105; everything else is gravy. No doubt there are tons of flavors for tons of tastes

I will say of all the bikes I've owned, I keep coming back to the vagens; there is something in the bits that make the sum so much greater and nothing I've owned feels quite like it. Again not saying the others aren't nice but I'm not sure comparing it to any ol steel bike is quite right. Closest so far is spirit hss tubed bike

SoCalSteve
04-12-2016, 06:38 PM
54 postings in this thread and no one but me cares that they don't make a 60 or 62cm off the rack version?

Just askin'

S

Ryun
04-12-2016, 06:39 PM
My wife is pissed they don't make a 48 too btw

eBAUMANN
04-12-2016, 06:52 PM

-Mark

tbey are painted over decals, not brazed on.

eBAUMANN
04-12-2016, 06:56 PM
I'm comparing Peg to SV. Dario's frames have external headsets too. So it's apples to apples. I'll bet on Dario's lifetime of knowledge.

But there's clearly a robust market for SVs. Cool. Different strokes, different folks.

I understand what you're saying, but pegs are kinda off in another world entirely when it comes to head tubes. I was purely trying to illustrate that the geometry specs are not outlandish at all.

pdonk
04-12-2016, 09:15 PM
54 postings in this thread and no one but me cares that they don't make a 60 or 62cm off the rack version?

Just askin'

S

I'm with you.

Would consider selling my vamoots sl and my dually mtb to get one in those sizes.

I don't know why but speedvagens speak to me for some reason.

pdmtong
04-12-2016, 09:28 PM
$3450 f/f
$0 ghost
$800 mavic kysrium elite (competitive cyclist)
$100 fizik antares R3 (CC)
$50 stem
$75 tires (guess)
$100 headset (guess)
= 4575

$200 bike build (there is a charge for SV/V)
= $4775

$5385 list so $610 left for DA/6800 build.

Peter P.
04-12-2016, 09:38 PM

Just askin'

S

What next; "Tall Lives Matter"?

Just sayin' . ;)

(All in jest.)

Peter P.
04-12-2016, 09:48 PM
With the level of small detail on some of the badges(unicorn horn etc) I'd guess something like a decal but not sure

As for my fit ( sorry couldn't do multiple quotes) my reach is about 1 miles shorter and the drop about 1.5 cm less. A lot can be manipulated with bar selection but I rode a stock 56 for awhile so it's familiar

As for value, the frameset is 3750. There are obviously steel frames that are cheaper and some that are more. I've owned a lot of them :)
Almost all of them are nice. I do think there are nice details on this bike that may or may not add value to you: stainless plates on the dropouts, unique brake bridge, flaring on the headtube, cut outs in the cable guide braze ons and seat mast. I like em. A peg as nice as it is, seems plainer by comparison
And I do think their paint is above the average paint shop I have see inthe custom world in terms of finish and durability.

None of these things change the way it rides by the way. Almost all my custom bikes ride nicely. So where this falls on the value equation for each one is a personal decision. All of us would be just as fast on a alum allez with 105; everything else is gravy. No doubt there are tons of flavors for tons of tastes

I will say of all the bikes I've owned, I keep coming back to the vagens; there is something in the bits that make the sum so much greater and nothing I've owned feels quite like it. Again not saying the others aren't nice but I'm not sure comparing it to any ol steel bike is quite right. Closest so far is spirit hss tubed bike

I have to say; I'm all in with you on this. Five pages of comments and counting on this thread; clearly Speedvagens have A LOT of interest regardless of whether it's negative or positive.

I agree that where the extra price comes in are all the little details that make the Speedvagen unique, and cost more. They may not make you faster but they show forethought, effort, and the result comes together in a package with the added bonus of remarkably reduced leadtimes.

I don't dispute the ability to get a full custom "whatever" for less and I'm all for custom bikes but the Speedvagen Concept never ceases to introduce something new and appealing to me.

Ryun-It looks like your frame was delivered with the steerer already cut to length (slammed). Is that how all OG's or Speedvagens are delivered?

For those that criticized the short headtubes, I think if you max'd out on the spacers you could easily find a more accommodating position without upsetting the look of the bike.

And for those that asked about seat height adjustment, Speedvagen lists 15mm or adjustment; I presume that's in either direction.

Elefantino
04-12-2016, 10:46 PM

Just askin'

S
I care, but not really. If I were going to get me some tall-guy steel I'd call up Steve Rex.

But it's baffling that builders don't make bikes in sizes for normal people.

SoCalSteve
04-12-2016, 10:55 PM
I care, but not really. If I were going to get me some tall-guy steel I'd call up Steve Rex.

Bikes, shoes, clothing, airplane seats...the list goes on and on! :confused::eek::)

SoCalSteve
04-12-2016, 10:56 PM
What next; "Tall Lives Matter"?

Just sayin' . ;)

(All in jest.)

Don't they???????

ispy
04-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Do the ghost graphics flake off or crack, if they are built off an adhesive (?) base layer?

tbey are painted over decals, not brazed on.

ultraman6970
04-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Ultra likes!

Elefantino
04-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Bikes, shoes, clothing, airplane seats...the list goes on and on! :confused::eek::)
If you sit in front of me in coach, your seat will NOT recline.

Lanternrouge
04-13-2016, 12:13 AM

I believe that statistically speaking, taller people make more money, so you can pay extra for economy plus, etc. Plus, since bikes are generally priced regardless of size, think about how much "bonus" material you get with every bike when compared to someone who rides a smaller size. The same applies with clothes, etc. You also get the privilege of being a better better draft for when you ride with others.

That being said, I always tell people that I will buy their larger bikes if they can make me taller. :D

Elefantino
04-13-2016, 12:21 AM
I always tell people that I will buy their larger bikes if they can make me taller. :D
http://www.makemegrowtaller.com/images/group_s.jpg

cadence90
04-13-2016, 12:29 AM
http://www.makemegrowtaller.com/images/group_s.jpg

Why are those guys limiting their market so much? 50% of share isn't that good a target. :confused:

They need to sell a "Make Me Grow Variably" package, so that PLers who ride 56s but lust after 58s and 54s, etc. can fulfill their desires whenever they choose.

Pastashop
04-13-2016, 01:09 AM
...somebody made something nice and decided to charge a giant premium for it...

Join us at 11 for... Veblen Good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

and then for... Stealth Wealth: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1301638/Stealth-wealth-Why-label-season-label-consumers-turn-logo-heavy-designers.html

smoke 'em if you got 'em!

sandyrs
04-13-2016, 05:52 AM

Just askin'

S

Lots of people as tall as us gave up riding stock bikes long ago :)

oldpotatoe
04-13-2016, 06:42 AM

Hampsten Max - $2800
Fulcrum Racing zero wheels - $600

total - $5,150

Pros on Hampsten Max
100% custom made frame

Pros on SV og1
It's a speedvagen
Painted stem

Worked on a lot of SV, also some Vanillas and 'beauty and beholder', and all that, these are really nice bikes BUT I'm withya VM, $5000 for a stock steel bike with that group and wheels is a lot of $. Yes, some whizbangery and certainly 'worth' it to a lot of people. They will sell 'em all but I would opt for a smaller builder, making a frame just for me, with the group I choose..and save $1500+ or so and use toward a trip to Italy, with the bike.

mnoble485
04-13-2016, 06:42 AM

Or Steve at Hampco Towers. Most of us "average" height people (6'5" or taller) are used to this type of "discrimination".

Mike
Still looking for my next 62x58.5

93legendti
04-13-2016, 07:55 AM
No hate, but the bike reminds me of "the emperor has no clothes"....if another builder did the same thing he would be ridiculed...I don't get it.

chiasticon
04-13-2016, 08:30 AM
Worked on a lot of SV, also some Vanillas and 'beauty and beholder', and all that, these are really nice bikes BUT I'm withya VM, $5000 for a stock steel bike with that group and wheels is a lot of $.you guys realize this is nothing new, right? before this, you could get a "stock" geometry SV for $3700. the only thing custom there is it had your name on the build tag and they'd cut the steerer/seatmast to fit (which they likely do with the OG1). if you want true custom, it's another grand. either way, you then start working with their build kits to finish off the bike. all they've done here is the same deal with stock geos, but cut out most of the add-ons and options, thereby streamlining the process and making it a bit cheaper (I don't think you could build the exact same bike for the same money through the standard ordering process, but I could be wrong).

not saying anything about your arguments of value, etc. just pointing out that your arguments regarding going full custom were valid before this OG1 existed.

*sidenote: I wonder if they're working with Signal Cycles on this. I believe they have used Signal for the welding in the past and Signal has offered their Pulse and Saltzman models in similar fashion to the OG1.

Climb01742
04-13-2016, 08:36 AM
I understand what you're saying, but pegs are kinda off in another world entirely when it comes to head tubes. I was purely trying to illustrate that the geometry specs are not outlandish at all.

Agree. Not outlandish. That's why I chose the word 'aggressive'.;) It's fair, I think, to say that a 14.1 HT on a 56 is toward the aggressive end of the spectrum. And that's cool. Folks will gravitate toward the geo that works for them. My point was just that race geometry doesn't need to be quite that aggressive. Dario builds race frames that perhaps can be ridden by a wider range of folks...or maybe just me.:beer:

PS: I'd love to ride a SV and if I dug it, own one. I'm not critical in the least of the OG1 as a project. Just can't see getting my body draped over one (insert sad face).

uber
04-13-2016, 08:41 AM
Speedvagen bikes are beautiful to my eye. Sacha White had a unique aesthetic, and is dedicated to making real race bikes. If your tastes match with his, it is a wonderful bike. There are of course builders who make very similar products and higher and lower price points, and we get to choose. After several conversations with Sacha, I am super impressed with his commitment to customer satisfaction. I have had a SV in the past and will probably get another one someday. FWIW, if the OG geometry was spot on for me and I was looking to race and abuse a bike, this one would be on my short list with possibly DeSalvo and Eriksen. I have been guilty of spending too much money on bikes that are too nice to chip and crash. I think OG nails it for a useable steel race bike.

benb
04-13-2016, 08:59 AM
What even makes this a race bike?

It's almost un-replaceable. The geo makes it a "race bike" in the eyes of the online community that thinks "fit for people with long torso and short legs" makes it a race bike. While most of the pros probably fit on this there are also ProTour guys who would think these frames would give them excessive drop.

It's uber expensive and sized like lots of stock CF bikes that probably weigh pounds less, can be replaced inside a week, and cost thousands less. Heck you can buy 2 nice off the shelf CF frames with similar fit for the price of this and have a spare. And those likely have more adjustment if you need to sell them to someone with slightly different contact points.

It's mostly crazy IMO compared to custom Ti since there really isn't much overlap with potential buyers of this and stock CF.

Maybe that's just east coast sentiment.. never seen a Vanilla IRL and I've maybe seen one Speedvagen so they don't seem to have the same hipster cred here.

ANAO
04-13-2016, 09:01 AM
What even makes this a race bike?

It's almost un-replaceable. The geo makes it a "race bike" in the eyes of the online community that thinks "fit for people with long torso and short legs" makes it a race bike. While most of the pros probably fit on this there are also ProTour guys who would think these frames would give them excessive drop.

It's uber expensive and sized like lots of stock CF bikes that probably weigh pounds less, can be replaced inside a week, and cost thousands less. Heck you can buy 2 nice off the shelf CF frames with similar fit for the price of this and have a spare. And those likely have more adjustment if you need to sell them to someone with slightly different contact points.

It's mostly crazy IMO compared to custom Ti since there really isn't much overlap with potential buyers of this and stock CF.

Maybe that's just east coast sentiment.. never seen a Vanilla IRL and I've maybe seen one Speedvagen so they don't seem to have the same hipster cred here.

https://scotusmemes.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/brakes-meme-generator-woah-bro-pump-the-brakes-b8a759.jpg

pdonk
04-13-2016, 09:07 AM
They replied to my instagram post. Say they have not sold many large bikes in their standard geometry.

sandyrs
04-13-2016, 09:19 AM
They replied to my instagram post. Say they have not sold many large bikes in their standard geometry.

Yeah, when you get above about 6'2" it gets really hard to come up with a stock geo that covers more than a small percentage of people who are that height because differences in leg, torso and arm length all are exacerbated the taller we get. Ask me how I know...

oldfatslow
04-13-2016, 09:23 AM
IMHO, I think it's foolish to race something other than an inexpensive ~$500 frameset CAAD like aluminum or a $400 Chinese/Taiwanese carbon fiber frameset.

In my local, very well attended, Cat 3/4 & Pro, 1-2-3 race series there are crashes at least every week. I use those categories as you expect crashes in the cat 4/5 category but my point is that in amateur racing there are crashes even in the more "experienced" and "smooth" categories. And yes, crashes happen at all levels of racing including the pros (the difference is that the pros don't pay for that new bike but most of us blokes do).

I'd be sick if I spent $4000+ on a bike and destroyed it in a crash. If I destroy my CAAD10 or my Pedal Force, I shrug and go buy a new frame. It's a $400 lesson and not a $4000 lesson. I also sincerely doubt that the $4000 frame makes me more likely to win than the $400 frame.

People make all kinds of decisions, based on their own sound logic, about why they purchase something. If you want to purchase the OG1 for your local crit series, by all means do so. Just don't be sad when you and the guy ahead of you tangle wheels, go down, and 30 other guys roll over your very beautiful ride.

There is also no argument that Sacha makes beautiful bikes and some of what you are paying for here is his brand. If it makes you happy and you have the dough more power to you. The OG1 is every bit as beautiful a bike as what we'd expect from Sacha (just please get the lillac one as it's way prettier than the matte green one).

Sorry if this reads like a rant.

Peace.

Mzilliox
04-13-2016, 09:26 AM
Love it or hate it the bike is generating opinions... lots of hits.;)

I'd not be able to throw down that much for that little... but im a sucker for a bargain and value:beer:

buldogge
04-13-2016, 09:38 AM
No more than the decals on any other steel frame (we aren't talking top-mount 80's Pinarellos or Ti frames)...

The basecoat is applied (or just primer is applied...but my guess is that they do a 2-coat process for the basecoat) and then the decals are laid out, and then basecoat-2 is applied and then the entire frame is clear-coated.

Matte clearcoat is actually a PITA, because you can't rub anything out...has to be "done right" the first time.

Perhaps they even use a matte single-stage and save themselves the step.

-Mark in St. Louis

Do the ghost graphics flake off or crack, if they are built off an adhesive (?) base layer?

chiasticon
04-13-2016, 10:29 AM
It's fair, I think, to say that a 14.1 HT on a 56 is toward the aggressive end of the spectrum.I don't get it. didn't someone already compare to a CAAD10, a pretty standard amateur race bike these days? HT length on a 56 is 15.5cm, with *integrated* headset. once you add the external headset to the SV, you've actually got a longer HT than on the CAAD10. (not to mention you shouldn't isolate one geo number to say it won't work for you, really...) I guess the CAAD10 may be considered aggressive in so much as it *is* a race bike, but plenty of people buy them that don't race, and maybe just have a couple spacers for a more upright position.

the comparison to Pegs doesn't make much sense as it's well known that Dario adds 1-2cm to the top of the head tube so that people run less spacers. a pro wouldn't want that, sure, but people who buy his bikes aren't pros.

benb
04-13-2016, 10:43 AM
CAAD10 has less BB drop which complicates the HT comparison just as chiasticon mentions. The OG1 has less reach but the same stack as the CAAD10 in 56cm.

Tony Edwards
04-13-2016, 11:26 AM

Just askin'

S

I would care if this were a bike I found appealing at its price point. Since it isn't (and I'm not really in the market for another road bike), I don't.

Tony Edwards
04-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Yeah, when you get above about 6'2" it gets really hard to come up with a stock geo that covers more than a small percentage of people who are that height because differences in leg, torso and arm length all are exacerbated the taller we get. Ask me how I know...

I dunno. I am 6'4" and have had no problem riding stock frames at all kinds of price points, including, among others, De Rosa, Pegoretti, Moots, Woodrup, Motobecane, Miyata and Bridgestone. I guess maybe if I were regularly riding centuries I would be more finicky, but I have never ridden a road bike that was roughly my size and encountered fit issues that couldn't be worked through with an appropriate stem, saddle and seatpost.

sandyrs
04-13-2016, 11:37 AM
I dunno. I am 6'4" and have had no problem riding stock frames at all kinds of price points, including, among others, De Rosa, Pegoretti, Moots, Woodrup, Motobecane, Miyata and Bridgestone. I guess maybe if I were regularly riding centuries I would be more finicky, but I have never ridden a road bike that was roughly my size and encountered fit issues that couldn't be worked through with an appropriate stem, saddle and seatpost.

I wish I could say the same. I ride an 86 cm saddle height and a 59 TT. There are people the same height who ride an 80cm saddle height and 64cm TT. A bike built to fit us both wouldn't handle well for either of us. I would have issues with the length of the headtube / steerer. The long TT tall person would have issues with stem length. I'm not saying I literally cannot ride a stock bike. I have more than one. But none fit as well as custom and yes, the different is noticeable, be it on the cross course or my commute. For $5k I'm going custom.

stackie
04-13-2016, 11:58 AM
Yep,

I'm 6'4". Using 82cm saddle height and 61cm top tube. essentially 73 degree angles for HT and ST. Not a lot of off the shelf frames that are there.

I'd like to point out that if you compare a SV OG to a Cannondale/Spesh/Trek, you are comparing a bike made by Americans earning a living wage to a bike made in SEA by persons who may or may not be earning a living wage. It's one of a few places in our lives where we can choose to put our money where our mouth is. That, in addition, to my appreciation for what Sacha has put together over the years is what made me get a SV.

I get the argument to have a cheap race bike. Obviously, Sacha is "struggling" with his bikes becoming too precious. He really wants people out hammering them into the ground. He has a cool crash repair program, and now the OG program. If one could get past the $$ preciousness of the SV OG, you could easily just race it and deal with any crash damage. It's steel and repairable. Go for it.

Since we are arguing about having a cheap bike for racing, how about a cheap body? If I break my arm and miss 3 weeks of work that's going to hurt worse than getting my bike fixed/replaced. Financially, emotionally, and physically.

Just my random thoughts.

And, yes, in a couple of hours, I'll be out riding my pimped out 2015 SM SV... carefully and in control.

Jon

SoCalSteve
04-13-2016, 12:00 PM

6' 5" here, short legs,long torso. Give me a 62cm bike ( compact or not ) with a 59 to 60 top tube and a 20cm ( or taller ) head tube and I'm good to go! This fits MOST stock bikes in the world.

And, funny enough, Speedvagen makes a stock size that fits me perfectly. Why they don't offer it in this program I find very offensive.

Oh, I'd never buy it because I'd want DI2 and carbon wheels, but I still find it offense and discriminatory.

And, as a final parting shot...I've thought long and hard about buying one. They just look amazing!!!

sandyrs
04-13-2016, 12:20 PM
6' 5" here, short legs,long torso. Give me a 62cm bike ( compact or not ) with a 59 to 60 top tube and a 20cm ( or taller ) head tube and I'm good to go! This fits MOST stock bikes in the world.

And, funny enough, Speedvagen makes a stock size that fits me perfectly. Why they don't offer it in this program I find very offensive.

Oh, I'd never buy it because I'd want DI2 and carbon wheels, but I still find it offense and discriminatory.

And, as a final parting shot...I've thought long and hard about buying one. They just look amazing!!!

I consider my own body offensive and discriminatory, in that it unfairly discriminates against almost every stock bike's geometry. ;)

lhuerta
04-13-2016, 12:36 PM
$3450 f/f
$0 ghost
$800 mavic kysrium elite (competitive cyclist)
$100 fizik antares R3 (CC)
$50 stem
$75 tires (guess)
$100 headset (guess)
= 4575

$200 bike build (there is a charge for SV/V)
= $4775

$5385 list so $610 left for DA/6800 build.

It appears matching painted stem is included too w/out the normal upcharge of $150, reducing cost of DA/6800 build to $460

denapista
04-13-2016, 01:07 PM
This bike costs $5k complete... (Different Wheels)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1499/26120441710_e5f0a270af_c.jpg

This frame costs $4,100...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8323/8408267329_abc9cce70b_c.jpg

If I were in the market for a steel bike, this would be at the top of my list. save up some funds years down the line, and get a repaint from SV.

chiasticon
04-13-2016, 01:17 PM
It appears matching painted stem is included too w/out the normal upcharge of $150, reducing cost of DA/6800 build to $460he also forgot to include handlebars, easily another $100. and btw, the most expensive parts of the groupset (shifters and derailleurs) are DA.

pdmtong
04-13-2016, 01:17 PM
It appears matching painted stem is included too w/out the normal upcharge of $150, reducing cost of DA/6800 build to $460

knock off another $100 for bars and $25 for tape and tubes now we are at $335 for the DA/6800 build. we can debate the math, but my conclusion is this OG1 represents a package discount of some amount.

IMHO the discussion about OG1 versus production/custom alternatives is pointless. People buy what they want and justify it how they want. Any conversation about whether something is worth it only needs to be answered by the buyer.

OG1 offers a price point for folks who have already decided they want a SV. As I mentioned earlier, every time I spec a SV I end up $10k+ because i let myself get carried away into dream bike world. OG1 is a forcing function to keep budget in check and extract Benjamin from wallets on the fence.

ANAO
04-13-2016, 01:25 PM
I do like the idea but, in my size (56):

1. Top tube is perfect
2. Head tube is a bit short
3. Saddle height is a bit short

So, I need custom SV?

pdmtong
04-13-2016, 01:41 PM

1. Top tube is perfect

So, I need custom SV?

1. check
2. I wonder if they have a +1 option like Moots. I bet a 15cm HT opens up a lot more market
3. are you saying these are pre-chopped? that wouldn't be good.

ANAO
04-13-2016, 01:45 PM
1. check
2. I wonder if they have a +1 option like Moots. I bet a 15cm HT opens up a lot more market
3. are you saying these are pre-chopped? that wouldn't be good.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52b27a54e4b01dead0d25335/t/56d3441d5559860e35f2f9d5/1456686121895/?format=750w

Per this chart, I fall outside of the recommended seat tube height. I guess with long legs and shorter torso, even with a 9-10cm drop, I'm not quite that racey.

My current ride looks racey to me...maybe it's not.

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/rock-lobster-team-al-7005-27347_2.jpg

chiasticon
04-13-2016, 01:47 PM
man I love that bike ^

R3awak3n
04-13-2016, 01:54 PM
who needs a SV when you can get a lobster like that

beeatnik
04-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Yep,

I'm 6'4". Using 82cm saddle height and 61cm top tube. essentially 73 degree angles for HT and ST. Not a lot of off the shelf frames that are there.

I'd like to point out that if you compare a SV OG to a Cannondale/Spesh/Trek, you are comparing a bike made by Americans earning a living wage to a bike made in SWA by persons who may or may not be earning a living wage. It's one of a few places in our lives where we can choose to put our money where our mouth is. That, in addition, to my appreciation for what Sacha has put together over the years is what made me get a SV.

I get the argument to have a cheap race bike. Obviously, Sacha is "struggling" with his bikes becoming too precious. He really wants people out hammering them into the ground. He has a cool crash repair program, and now the OG program. If one could get past the $$ preciousness of the SV OG, you could easily just race it and deal with any crash damage. It's steel and repairable. Go for it.

Since we are arguing about having a cheap bike for racing, how about a cheap body? If I break my arm and miss 3 weeks of work that's going to hurt worse than getting my bike fixed/replaced. Financially, emotionally, and physically.

Just my random thoughts.

And, yes, in a couple of hours, I'll be out riding my pimped out 2015 SM SV... carefully and in control.

Jon

Jon, I like your no nonsense style.

benb
04-13-2016, 03:04 PM
I wish I could say the same. I ride an 86 cm saddle height and a 59 TT. There are people the same height who ride an 80cm saddle height and 64cm TT. A bike built to fit us both wouldn't handle well for either of us. I would have issues with the length of the headtube / steerer. The long TT tall person would have issues with stem length. I'm not saying I literally cannot ride a stock bike. I have more than one. But none fit as well as custom and yes, the different is noticeable, be it on the cross course or my commute. For $5k I'm going custom.

Heh.. yah me too, and I'm only 6'1". Most stock bikes like the Vagen I'd either be on the 56cm with the maximum amount of spacers and a +17 stem and I'd have 8cm of drop or more, or I'd be on the 58cm, probably still have close to the max spacers and maybe a +6 stem but the stem would have to be 70-80mm long, probably still have 5cm or more of drop. Custom fits don't recommend a lot of drop for me, once you put my but in the right place I have a pretty acute torso angle even with modest drop due to the length of my torso.

I'd be curious guys who are 5'6" or something must don't vary as much... it sure seems like there are lots of people 6' or taller who have a ton of leg relative to their torso.

oldfatslow
04-13-2016, 05:45 PM
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52b27a54e4b01dead0d25335/t/56d3441d5559860e35f2f9d5/1456686121895/?format=750w

My current ride looks racey to me...maybe it's not.

http://www.pedalroom.com/p/rock-lobster-team-al-7005-27347_2.jpg

That looks perfect for me & I have avowed a problem with green bikes. PM when you move on and may be able to work something out.

majl
04-13-2016, 05:54 PM
And for those that asked about seat height adjustment, Speedvagen lists 15mm or adjustment; I presume that's in either direction.

It's 15mm total adjustment: 5mm down and 10mm up from the specified height. This presumes the same saddle of course. Saddles can vary in "height" more than one might think - I learned this the hard way.

beeatnik
04-14-2016, 09:55 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BELwRLHA6Bu/?taken-by=theathletic

d_douglas
04-14-2016, 01:10 PM
If I had a dolla for every time Speedvagen's business model was critiqued, I would happily be riding one of those badass, totally awesome lavender road machines for $5000.

These are one of those threads that people say, 'if you don't want to read it, don't click on it' because I tire of the endless critiques of this company. They make very nice (no wait, beautiful) bicycles and pay people a living wage to do it. I like that.

I own an older SV road that still stands as the finest bike I have ever ridden. I am sure the newer ones are even better.

malcolm
04-14-2016, 01:51 PM
I like it not for me but I like it. I've seen a few vanillas up close and they are very well done, as nice as any steel I've seen.

There are choices for a reason. If this one doesn't do it for you move on down the line. If it does then plunk down your coin.

Joachim
04-14-2016, 01:59 PM
If I had a dolla for every time Speedvagen's business model was critiqued, I would happily be riding one of those badass, totally awesome lavender road machines for $5000.

These are one of those threads that people say, 'if you don't want to read it, don't click on it' because I tire of the endless critiques of this company. They make very nice (no wait, beautiful) bicycles and pay people a living wage to do it. I like that.

I own an older SV road that still stands as the finest bike I have ever ridden. I am sure the newer ones are even better.

Can't agree more. I have a 2009 SV and it rides better than my Meivici.

nate2351
04-14-2016, 01:59 PM

1. Top tube is perfect

So, I need custom SV?

Is that HT measurement with or with out the headset installed? If that's with out a headset then the HT lengths make sense.

Joachim
04-14-2016, 02:04 PM
Is that HT measurement with or with out the headset installed? If that's with out a headset then the HT lengths make sense.

Without. Mine is a 56cm with the head tube of a 58cm. Top tube slope seems to be adjusted to keep proportions in check. Now they don't offer semi-custom anymore like they did before.

pavel
04-14-2016, 02:36 PM
why does that chart not have a head tube angle measurement listed?

Chris
04-14-2016, 03:01 PM
why does that chart not have a head tube angle measurement listed?

It's like Merckxs of old. That stuff is secret.

adrien
04-14-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm very meh about the whole thing, but I've not been one to get all flushed in seeing an SV. I get they are different, but not in a way that speaks to me. The ones I've seen in the flesh have not been to my taste.

Beyond that though, add me to the list who won't fit. I would have considered it if their 58 were a 58. But the ETT is too short (I need 58.5-60, but can make 58 work). I'm 6'3.

I'm also a little thrown by a production steel bike only available in two colors with one spec. You can customize a Madone more, and get way more geometries. Hmm.

I wonder whether this will change the brand perception. I could argue both sides of it. So they will now have covered ultra-bespoke (Vanilla), rare, handmade, custom but expensive (SV) and we'll-ship-as-many-as-we-can-sell (presumably) production with one color option and geometry for the median of riders. I had a long discussion with a custom (at the time) builder who moved into semi-custom (custom geometry and multiple paint options) bikes a few years back. But I've never seen it go full-production before.

FlashUNC
04-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Always liked them, always liked the idea behind them, even like SV's race and crash repair program that encourages you to go out and beat the darn thing up. Even like the two colors they picked for the stock program.

But I don't have room in the stable, and I'd have to give up an amazing bike to get one in the door, and I'm not sure its twice the bike my DS or Rock Lobster is.

So for now I'll admire from afar. Good on them for trying to sell more units, than what seems to the natural inclination with a lot in the handbuilt world, which is just keep pushing the queue times out further and further.

d_douglas
04-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Always liked them, always liked the idea behind them, even like SV's race and crash repair program that encourages you to go out and beat the darn thing up. Even like the two colors they picked for the stock program.

But I don't have room in the stable, and I'd have to give up an amazing bike to get one in the door, and I'm not sure its twice the bike my DS or Rock Lobster is.

So for now I'll admire from afar. Good on them for trying to sell more units, than what seems to the natural inclination with a lot in the handbuilt world, which is just keep pushing the queue times out further and further.

in complete agreement ... so true!

Chris
04-14-2016, 04:01 PM
I'm very meh about the whole thing, but I've not been one to get all flushed in seeing an SV. I get they are different, but not in a way that speaks to me. The ones I've seen in the flesh have not been to my taste.

Beyond that though, add me to the list who won't fit. I would have considered it if their 58 were a 58. But the ETT is too short (I need 58.5-60, but can make 58 work). I'm 6'3.

I'm also a little thrown by a production steel bike only available in two colors with one spec. You can customize a Madone more, and get way more geometries. Hmm.

I wonder whether this will change the brand perception. I could argue both sides of it. So they will now have covered ultra-bespoke (Vanilla), rare, handmade, custom but expensive (SV) and we'll-ship-as-many-as-we-can-sell (presumably) production with one color option and geometry for the median of riders. I had a long discussion with a custom (at the time) builder who moved into semi-custom (custom geometry and multiple paint options) bikes a few years back. But I've never seen it go full-production before.

I have one. 2010. Longest I have ever owned a bike. I can't find a reason to get or ride anything else. But I see your point. I am a bike snob to a degree. I don't like showing up on a bike that everyone has. I think the availability of this bike may cut in to the sales of the custom versions. I guess we will see.

adrien
04-14-2016, 04:16 PM
I have one. 2010. Longest I have ever owned a bike. I can't find a reason to get or ride anything else. But I see your point. I am a bike snob to a degree. I don't like showing up on a bike that everyone has. I think the availability of this bike may cut in to the sales of the custom versions. I guess we will see.

I totally get it, and me, too. Hence the Firefly in my case, and several others. I just don't get the emotion of SV. I get that it's special, and for many the emotion is there. It's just not, for me.

The question is, will that sense of exclusivity be diminished by this new production line? I suspect the answer is yes for those who don't have one yet. If, like you, they do and they like it, I think the attachment that matters is formed, and much more based on a real experience of a real bike than of a brand legend.

velomonkey
04-14-2016, 04:58 PM

15 posts a page - we're not even on page 10 - assuming EVERY post was hate you'd need 333 pages of SV hate to ride that og1.

Something tells me if you had a dolla every time someone actually critiqued the SV model you could maybe supply to SV some DT swiss hubs and get them painted to match the SV frame you wouldn't yet be able to get.

d_douglas
04-14-2016, 05:17 PM
15 posts a page - we're not even on page 10 - assuming EVERY post was hate you'd need 333 pages of SV hate to ride that og1.

Something tells me if you had a dolla every time someone actually critiqued the SV model you could maybe supply to SV some DT swiss hubs and get them painted to match the SV frame you wouldn't yet be able to get.

And I am Canadian, so my dolla is worth 30% less than yours, which means I would need 30% more posts to get there. Good point. Mathematics is magic!

FlashUNC
04-14-2016, 07:01 PM

You're assuming there's just one thread of SV disdain 'round these parts...

velomonkey
04-14-2016, 07:09 PM
You're assuming there's just one thread of SV disdain 'round these parts...

There is not 333 pages of negative comments. I don't hate SV, I do like to try to find where "the line" is - knowing full well that "the line" is different for everyone. For me, $3,700 for a non-custom, no tall riders allowed, tig welded frame - well, that might be a bit past my line. Now if they had hot pank then maybe that line is a bit closer . . . . .

The victim card is pulled a bit less than the hate card, though - it's just fun with math, yo. . . .still I stick by it, all the hate for a buck will get you some painted hubs . . . . you supply the hubs.

nmrt
04-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Dont you see what Flash is doing? You keep replying to this thread and soon enough we'll get to that magic number. ;-)

There is not 333 pages of negative comments. I don't hate SV, I do like to try to find where "the line" is - knowing full well that "the line" is different for everyone. For me, $3,700 for a non-custom, no tall riders allowed, tig welded frame - well, that might be a bit past my line. Now if they had hot pank then maybe that line is a bit closer . . . . .

The victim card is pulled a bit less than the hate card, though - it's just fun with math, yo. . . .still I stick by it, all the hate for a buck will get you some painted hubs . . . . you supply the hubs.

r_mutt
04-14-2016, 09:30 PM

I rest my case.

caads are known to have very aggressive racebike geometry- full stop. the geometry is pretty much the same as the supersix evo. most people who race them take off the top cap and slam them.

d_douglas
04-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Dont you see what Flash is doing? You keep replying to this thread and soon enough we'll get to that magic number. ;-)

Sounds good to me. Let's get a bench more criticisms here and drum up my big daddy lavender road machine :)

pdonk
04-15-2016, 02:23 PM
This thread plus last one plus pics are making me really "need" a speedvagen. I asked vanilla about timing and pricing. A 60 or 62 is $350 more plus a lead time of up to 2 months but all options are available.

Anyone want to buy my 62x57.5 vamoots sl with a delivery date of September? Asked only half jokingly.

SoCalSteve
04-15-2016, 02:36 PM
This thread plus last one plus pics are making me really "need" a speedvagen. I asked vanilla about timing and pricing. A 60 or 62 is $350 more plus a lead time of up to 2 months but all options are available.

Anyone want to buy my 62x57.5 vamoots sl with a delivery date of September? Asked only half jokingly.

Now I TRULY find this offensive and discriminatory!!! What could possibly justify an uncharged of $350.00 for a couple more centimeters???

Someone please explain.

Thanks!

PS: and if you say " because they can " that's all well and good, I just cannot imagine any very tall dude buying into this.

pdonk
04-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Dp

pdonk
04-15-2016, 02:42 PM
It probably has to do with one off vs batch building.

malcolm
04-15-2016, 02:43 PM
Now I TRULY find this offensive and discriminatory!!! What could possibly justify an uncharged of $350.00 for a couple more centimeters???

Someone please explain.

Thanks!

PS: and if you say " because they can " that's all well and good, I just cannot imagine any very tall dude buying into this.

You tall guys have deep pockets!!

stackie
04-15-2016, 02:52 PM
You tall guys have deep pockets!!

Yep. It's true. We tall guys make more money than you short guys.

Nonetheless, I'm a little shocked that they charge the $350 extra for 60 and 62. I'd get custom anyway. Oops, already did.

I get the one off vs batch. But, for a small shop like this, I would think that the overhead of keeping some bikes and build kits in stock would offset the savings of batch building. Not sure how they pursue efficiency. But, my personal thought was they decided to build stock bikes to keep guys busy when not building custom or bespoke bikes. Kind of thought that was the idea behind the urban racer. But, shoot, I'm not a business guy. Sacha obviously is, and I congratulate him on a job well done. Go America!

Jon.

fuzzalow
04-15-2016, 02:52 PM
In a world of cookie cutter carbon fiber bikes, not at all a bad thing to have bikes being designed & manufactured by the independents. It's got all the cred and lineage a bike connoisseur might be interested in and it's not priced outta this world. Which is sensible as chuffing in the entry level class of bikes is not the level of this bike and rooting around at that level would kill the desireability.

What's not to like? Lotsa product out there - not many like this one. That makes it worth owning one right here.

pdonk
04-15-2016, 07:34 PM
For clarity it is not 350 more than a normal speedvagen. Its 350 more than a og1.

pavel
04-15-2016, 07:59 PM
$3,700 for a non-custom, tig welded frame.

yup, just let that sink in for a while.

93legendti
04-15-2016, 08:38 PM
For $3700 you can get a custom Strong Ti frame and carbon fork. For $2900 a custom steel extra lite steel Strong frame and carbon fork. Dave Kirk's custom offerings are probably competitive as Tom Kellogg's custom bikes probably are...

http://www.strongframes.com/frames-and-pricing/road/

If the OG1 is your cup of tea, more power to you.

velomonkey
04-15-2016, 09:25 PM

The max TT you can get is less than 58cm - that's tall, then there is "huh, he's tall" around 59cm - then there is "frick, that dude is tall" - 60cm - over 60cm turns into "you see how tall that dude was"

Clearly they hate people over 6' at SV. Probably hate left handers, too.

beeatnik
04-15-2016, 10:52 PM
can a 6'11" baller fit comfortably into a Lamborghini Veneno?

joosttx
04-15-2016, 11:00 PM
For $3700 you can get a custom Strong Ti frame and carbon fork. For $2900 a custom steel extra lite steel Strong frame and carbon fork. Dave Kirk's custom offerings are probably competitive as Tom Kellogg's custom bikes probably are...

Straight gauge, standard, no thrills ti frame made by a excellent builder. Price goes up for butted and other features as it should. My point is the OG is not a standard tig welded frame. There are quite a few features on it. Check out the slim chance for a no thrills steel tig frame. The price of the OG is completely inline.

cadence90
04-15-2016, 11:57 PM

Or a Kish Ti (http://www.kishbike.com/bikes/road/) with ENVE 2.0 for $3,350. Kish Ti Sl with ENVE SL for $3,700.

I don't really get this OG, either.

cinema
04-16-2016, 12:38 AM
comes from the same shop whose vanilla brand will never see another waitlister. that seems to be enough for them to go off of

93legendti
04-16-2016, 05:49 AM
For $2500 a custom, fillet brazed Steve Rex
http://www.rexcycles.com/frames-parts/

Again, ymmv, but the OG1 seems to say "hey buy me, I'm from the Vanilla/Speedwagen family"

If this was the first offering from Mr. White, without the fan base, he would be ripped here.

I am sure it rides great. I think it's brilliant marketing.

velomonkey
04-16-2016, 07:27 AM
can a 6'11" baller fit comfortably into a Lamborghini Veneno?

Rides a top tube longer than 57.3 - drives a lambo - is without question a baller (and if I might add, if there is an original gansta for cycling, it's this cat - not some lilly dude from Portland).

I. Rest. My. Case.

Peter P.
04-16-2016, 08:11 AM
My point is the OG is not a standard tig welded frame. There are quite a few features on it. Check out the slim chance for a no thrills steel tig frame. The price of the OG is completely inline.

I absolutely agree. The OG1 is feature-rich and labor intensive. The paint, while single color, also requires extra labor because of the Ghost treatment and wet paint application.

To be sure, in the end it's just a bike and will not make you faster, justifying a less expensive bike which will certainly perform as well. But there IS added value and unquantifiable desirability, including the quick delivery, in the OG1.

Ryun
04-16-2016, 08:17 AM
For 4900 you can get a custom firefly spirit tubed frame and fork

adrien
04-16-2016, 08:52 AM
Rides a top tube longer than 57.3 - drives a lambo - is without question a baller (and if I might add, if there is an original gansta for cycling, it's this cat - not some lilly dude from Portland).

I. Rest. My. Case.

That's a Ferrarri, and it should be red. But, yeah, carry on.

malcolm
04-16-2016, 08:55 AM
For $2500 a custom, fillet brazed Steve Rex
http://www.rexcycles.com/frames-parts/

Again, ymmv, but the OG1 seems to say "hey buy me, I'm from the Vanilla/Speedwagen family"

If this was the first offering from Mr. White, without the fan base, he would be ripped here.

I am sure it rides great. I think it's brilliant marketing.

That's true for all builders. Their product has to have meaning for you as a buyer or else you would just buy the cheapest thing you can find.
I suspect Dave Kirk, who I love and own two of them, couldn't command the price he does if he didn't have a following. Is it worth it, well to me it certainly is. The one we are discussing not so much but that is just me.

Some guys just seem to maintain a lower price point for whatever reason, business model or just the way they do it and if that is what you want go for it.

There certainly seems to be a market for these bikes and that is all that matters. Good on Sacha, I'm glad he's found it and I hope he continues to be successful. I suspect it's good for all builders as these type bikes may cause a few big box carbon recreational riders to look up and investigate what's out there and cut a deal with one of the myriad of great builders to make something meaningful for them. It's a win-win.

Joachim
04-16-2016, 09:07 AM
There has been a lot of price analyses going on in this thread. How about the ride quality from riders who own Speedvagens and Kirks/strong/spectrum etc? Ok I'll start, I own #1 Kirk Onesto (the lugged stainless frames) in double oversize tubing. I also own a Speedvagen, which I bought used and a Serotta Meivici (all 8.5 tubing). I previously also owned a Spectrum Super Ti and my Firefly Ti is on its way back to me. So I feel I can make an honest comparison between these frames and since all/most of them have been mentioned in this thread as equal or more perceived value than the OG1. I would any day pay full price for the OG1 or a custom speedvagen since I feel it's at least equal in ride quality to all the other bikes I own or owned. In some cases I would pick it over some of my high end custom frames. Before you make a judgement about the price - quality or whatever relationship, ride a Speedvagen and then talk.

Ryun
04-16-2016, 09:17 AM
The og was really just a package to help those that wanted a bike right away. So by limiting the choices, they are ready to ship. If you want tweaks, different paint custom etc, the bike is really prices much differently just the wait is longer.

To me it's a pretty nice spec for 5500 compared to what I see in big box stores for carbon bikes and I think that may bring people into the market who wouldn't otherwise make their way thru the look book.

It's an easy apples to apples for the person who isn't able to or want to build their own bike piece by piece.

Ryun
04-16-2016, 09:20 AM
Also beyond price, my bike as shown is 15.2 lbs for a 56.
At the moment it's all da9000 with enve wheels but pretty impressive for a steel bike

beeatnik
04-16-2016, 10:15 AM
and back to price.

in 2013, the Black Inc Evo retailed for 11500. The mechanical DA, ENVE build kit (cockpit and tubulars), and Fizik 00 saddle could be found for $4500. The new Spiderring SiSls were at top dollar, $800. So that leaves 6 grand for the frameset. Thing is Cannondale would sell you the frameset (if they liked you) for $3500.

Anyway, what's' my point. Oh, no one who paid retail for that Black Inc thought they overpaid. I mean, the mofo had unique paint for a Cannondale.

I like the Vagz transparent pricing style.

Gonna pick one up with under 150 miles in the classifieds in a few months for $2200 :banana:

54ny77
04-16-2016, 11:38 AM
you forgot high zoot wheels. a couple-few grand there, no? so the frame's now in the 3500-ish territory.

and back to price.

in 2013, the Black Inc Evo retailed for 11500. The mechanical DA, ENVE build kit (cockpit and tubulars), and Fizik 00 saddle could be found for $4500. The new Spiderring SiSls were at top dollar, $800. So that leaves 6 grand for the frameset. Thing is Cannondale would sell you the frameset (if they liked you) for $3500.

Anyway, what's' my point. Oh, no one who paid retail for that Black Inc thought they overpaid. I mean, the mofo had unique paint for a Cannondale.

I like the Vagz transparent pricing style.

Gonna pick one up with under 150 miles in the classifieds in a few months for $2200 :banana:

binxnyrwarrsoul
04-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Every time I look at spec'ing a SV the problem is I end up with a $10k+ bike.
Now, I have a $5k option where my budget stays at $5k

You have to take the "S" off and leave the "R." Yeah, I can't seem to do it, either.

Sweet SV and the color is a knockout.

betahprod
04-17-2016, 02:37 AM
From what I heard Speedvagen has a 5+ year waitlist? How are y'all going to produce bicycles at such a faster rate? Wish I got a chance to visit Speedvagen when I came up to Portland, there will be next time!

Peter P.
04-17-2016, 05:33 AM
From what I heard Speedvagen has a 5+ year waitlist? How are y'all going to produce bicycles at such a faster rate? Wish I got a chance to visit Speedvagen when I came up to Portland, there will be next time!

VANILLA has a years-long wait list. Speedvagen does not.

weisan
04-17-2016, 08:28 AM
Interesting wheel choice: Mavic Ksyrium

Ryun
04-17-2016, 08:31 AM
If you want a non ready made speedvagen, I think the current delivery time is 6-8 weeks.

Pastashop
04-17-2016, 10:37 AM

Except for the wheels, it's actually a decent deal on a well-made, well-spec'ed, domestic production, light, interesting / unique, tasteful bike. I'd honestly prefer longer chainstays and more clearance, which does not hurt race-ability, but it's probably a nod to marketability.

pdmtong
04-17-2016, 12:01 PM
VANILLA has a years-long wait list. Speedvagen does not.

I think current production level for vanilla is around 15 units per year. If that is the case for all practical purposes the list is closed.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2016, 12:06 PM

At OE, these things are almost free. No doubt the component group was chosen that way also. Way low $...for a frame maker, how he maximizes margin.

weisan
04-17-2016, 12:07 PM
At OE, these things are almost free. No doubt the component group was chosen that way also. Way low $...for a frame maker, how he maximizes margin.

I see...appreciate the inside info, old pal.

oldpotatoe
04-17-2016, 12:08 PM
I think current production level for vanilla is around 15 units per year. If that is the case for all practical purposes the list is closed.

Ya know, I don't get that..I guess 'Mr' Vanilla(I know him) has decided to build at this level. BUT I know others, like Sean Walling and Mark Nobilette, one man operations, who do about 70 or so per year. And they don't paint them, like Vanilla doesn't.

velomonkey
04-17-2016, 12:12 PM
Horrible wheel choice: Mavic Ksyrium Elite

Fixed it for you.

Yea, yea, wheels are like peddles and are personal - so if that's the case then make them like peddles and don't include them - it ups the shipping charge and thus the price, then I gotta rid of them and add in shipping and a seller basically given them away. If they were Ksyriums once could at least get rid of them easy enough, Elites - not so much.

It's like OP said . . . all to maximize profit (not that there is anything wrong with it).

oldpotatoe
04-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Fixed it for you.

Yea, yea, wheels are like peddles and are personal - so if that's the case then make them like peddles and don't include them - it ups the shipping charge and thus the price, then I gotta rid of them and add in shipping and a seller basically given them away. If they were Ksyriums once could at least get rid of them easy enough, Elites - not so much.

It's like OP said . . . all to maximize profit (not that there is anything wrong with it).

Of course..peddle? pedal? Sorry, I am one of the very worset sppelers:D

velomonkey
04-17-2016, 12:22 PM
Of course..peddle? pedal? Sorry, I am one of the very worset sppelers:D

Damn You Auto Correct!!!!!

pdmtong
04-17-2016, 07:30 PM
Ya know, I don't get that..I guess 'Mr' Vanilla(I know him) has decided to build at this level. BUT I know others, like Sean Walling and Mark Nobilette, one man operations, who do about 70 or so per year. And they don't paint them, like Vanilla doesn't.

the vanilla workshop business model has evolved.
If you got on the list pre-2008, when your name came up you worked with sacha to build whatever you wanted.

lugged, tig, fillet
road, rando, tour, commute, cx, SS/fixed, track, town etc.

Sacha's ability to create a functional, performant and beautiful bike across fabrication techniques and riding genre's is what established his reputation.

folks can compare a vanilla road to a kirk road and debate, or a vanilla tour to a bruce gordon tour and debate, but there are not many builders who created the plethora of incarnations across genres that time and again made folks sit up.

after bikes to the original list were delivered, the next wait-list group post-2008 no longer has the choice of whatever they want. now the workshop is building by genre in small unit increments. and the frame that is delivered is their classic interpretation of that genre with paint and geo being the two primary customization choices. if you want road, you wait for the road batch. if you want touring, you wait for the touring batch. and so on.

IMHO speedvagen is now the primary emphasis of the workshop.

jpw
04-18-2016, 04:08 AM
what does 'OG' mean?

pbarry
04-18-2016, 05:33 AM
what does 'OG' mean?

Link on the Speedvagen site:

Original gangster
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Original gangster may refer to an individual (regardless of criminal affiliation) who represents ideals the speaker sees as Gangster and generally "tough" or "hood" in behavior and/or looks as well as a connection to the past or being older; commonly used as a sign of respect. It may also refer to:

Master P, one of the Biggest Hip Hop Moguls credited to Originator of Southern Hip Hop
O.G. Original Gangster, a 1991 album by Ice-T
"O.G. Original Gangster" (song), a song from the album
Original Gangsters (gang), a criminal gang in Sweden
"Somethin' for the O.G's", a song by M.C. Hammer from The Funky Headhunter album
Original Gangstas, a 1996 action film

happycampyer
04-18-2016, 06:09 AM
Perhaps mixed with a Star Wars reference--as in OG1 Kenobe.

fuzzalow
04-18-2016, 06:55 AM
The OG approach seems sensible to me. It isn't meant to compete in the full-custom arena with other custom builders in that space. It is a pretty much a production based product line from a small bike maker incorporating some of the features and in-house styling cues of the SV/Vanilla brand.

I like it and think it is a very good bike perfectly positioned in the marketplace. Sure, custom sizing might be offered but I think it is just a come-on, meaning it is offered not because it will actually be invoked but because it serves to not turn-off a upper crust kinda customer that might go for this type of bike and expect custom service whether they need it or not. And usually it is not needed but it felt good to think you could have it.

I've always proposed that getting good results in going full custom is not as easy as it seems and that a client needs to know what he is doing in going custom. This bike gives a pretty exclusive vibe and is something a rider can actually get without either the wait list game or the downsides of custom. I'd never compare this bike versus other custom builders offerings - to do so misses the point entirely because it isn't about the bike. It is about the access, availability and process to get a rider onto a unique, craft made, domestically designed & produced bike from a storied independent maker. That's a good thing worth cheering for.

jpw
04-18-2016, 12:10 PM
it seems quite nice. i don't like sloping top tubes. the colours seem so so.

cadence90
04-18-2016, 04:09 PM
what does 'OG' mean?

Just another instance of Portland trying to be too coo fo schoo.

therealdoff
04-21-2016, 11:25 PM
If you want a non ready made speedvagen, I think the current delivery time is 6-8 weeks.

Hey Ryun - awesome feedback on the OG1, seems like you have a lot of experience/exposure to high end steel frames.

I assume you've ridden both the OG1 and an SV Road. Can you identify any major differences in the ride quality, fit or overall experience?

Main reason why I ask is that I have a line on a used 2010 SV Road and just as I am about to pull the trigger VW goes and launches the OG1 which is more in the budgie for a "new" bike. I've been in contact with the folks at VW (they've been absolutely amazing to deal with btw) about fitting the used bike and it all looks gravy but I will have to incur some additional cost to cut the seat mast and do some repainting, as well as shipping etc.

What would you do if comparing apples to apples? Get a used SV road in great condition and paint it up to look just right, or go with a new "stock" OG1?

Thanks for your input.

pdmtong
04-21-2016, 11:41 PM
Hey Ryun - awesome feedback on the OG1, seems like you have a lot of experience/exposure to high end steel frames.

I assume you've ridden both the OG1 and an SV Road. Can you identify any major differences in the ride quality, fit or overall experience?

Main reason why I ask is that I have a line on a used 2010 SV Road and just as I am about to pull the trigger VW goes and launches the OG1 which is more in the budgie for a "new" bike. I've been in contact with the folks at VW (they've been absolutely amazing to deal with btw) about fitting the used bike and it all looks gravy but I will have to incur some additional cost to cut the seat mast and do some repainting, as well as shipping etc.

What would you do if comparing apples to apples? Get a used SV road in great condition and paint it up to look just right, or go with a new "stock" OG1?

Thanks for your input.

A stock SV is identical to the OG1.

OG1 is a pricing package, not a different from stock frame.

Ryun
04-22-2016, 06:41 AM
A stock SV is identical to the OG1.

OG1 is a pricing package, not a different from stock frame.

What he said...Same frame with all the goodies.
Sounds like some trouble to get the used one set up.

therealdoff
04-26-2016, 10:32 AM
What he said...Same frame with all the goodies.
Sounds like some trouble to get the used one set up.

Thanks for the input guys. The cost of shipping, labor and painting the old SV is breaking the model around any savings gained from picking up a used frame. Seems like a new OG1 is the way forward. If only they offered then as frameset only at that price;-)

Hope you are enjoying your new ride!

pdmtong
04-28-2016, 02:38 PM

if you are really a buyer this is still available
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121965775194

or contact him directly
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=181304

SoCalSteve
04-28-2016, 04:41 PM
if you are really a buyer this is still available
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121965775194

or contact him directly
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=181304

Looked into this, actually. I'd need the mast cut down and would want it drilled for DI2. Probably not gonna happen.

Pegoready
04-28-2016, 09:27 PM
Looked into this, actually. I'd need the mast cut down and would want it drilled for DI2. Probably not gonna happen.

Sounds like you wouldn't be a candidate for OG1 even if they made your size, seeing as it's mechanical only?

SoCalSteve
04-28-2016, 11:42 PM
Sounds like you wouldn't be a candidate for OG1 even if they made your size, seeing as it's mechanical only?

Very true! Still bugs me that it doesn't come in larger sizes. Kind of like going into a shoe store and the largest size is 12 ( when I'm a 14 ).

ldamelio
04-29-2016, 04:43 AM
Agree - except in this case, the largest size available is a 10 1/2 in the shoe analogy. I'm 6'1" (ie tall but not circus tall) and even the largest size is a little short for me. Other than that, I like the concept.

Toon Raider
04-29-2016, 05:08 AM
It's really cool how Sacha White continues to develop his brand. This model plus his fit tours show how a little creativity are taking him into a bigger niche. ( plus making money and giving some folk steady jobs).

Looking forward to seeing what he does next.

if the reports on how this rides continue to be so good I will have take the plunge and buy

Alan

spiderwj
05-03-2016, 12:10 AM
Love the concept. I would like to see a flashier paint job model so I hope these do well and create some wiggle room for future models/colors without going all custom. Speedvagen.....lust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk