PDA

View Full Version : Things which make you laugh on your ride

oldfatslow
04-12-2016, 03:32 AM
From the coaching thread, this situation always makes me laugh.

Coaching is getting passed by a smug "Fred" on the warmup/cooldown/recovery ride.

A core workout I do involves riding a road with long rollers where I am all out on the ascent & 100% recovery on descents. It's very common for some smug "Fred" to chase me down on the descent only to be dropped like a cheap suit on ascent. I'm sure when this happens the "Fred" thinks to himself "jerk" never realizing I am doing a focused workout.

Another for me is that I always greet other cyclists on rides. I wave to the cyclist going in the opposite direction and say "howdy" to folks I pass along with something positive if they appear to be struggling "this headwind is tough, you are doing great" (I might even ride along with them for a minute). I alway laugh at the guy (it's almost always a guy), who is going in the other direction, clearly sees you, but does his best to act as though he didn't (as though the act of nodding one's head or, heaven forbid, waving would cost him the Gold in the Olympic TT).

What makes you laugh on your rides?

parris
04-12-2016, 08:52 AM
You mean laughing's allowed on rides??? ;)

berserk87
04-12-2016, 09:39 AM
A couple of years ago one of the local tri-dorks decided to wear his aero helmet and run his rear disc wheel, on his Specialized Shiv, on our normal Wednesday training ride...and did this for the entire summer.

The helmet was one of the lengthy models, that makes the rider look like one of the creatures from the "Alien" movies.

He had some reasons for doing this, but really, he just liked to play with the stuff.

There was also the guy that wore bibs for the first time, on the same ride. Someone forgot to tell him to wear them UNDER his jersey. We had to help him out on that.

A buddy of mine decided to dilute his water with a bit of whiskey in his bottles on a cold ride. On one portion of the ride, we had a German Shepard come after us. As per normal habit, he took out a bottle and fired a squirt in the dog's direction, to buy us some time. A couple of seconds later, I heard him mumble "Nothing like wasting good whiskey on a dog".

ripvanrando
04-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Squirrels (real ones) that can't make up their mind which way to go.

Steve in SLO
04-12-2016, 10:08 AM
Headwinds.
Around here they can be ridiculous. I just gotta laugh so I don't cry.

marknreimer
04-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Hah!! love the whisky comment.

I am fast becoming a self-proclaimed Fred. Whatever, I'm comfortable with it. What makes me laugh are the wannabe hardcore tri guys who come blasting past me on their 10K bikes, riding in board shorts and flat pedals with an aero helmet, who then get real pissed when I draft them on my Riv Atlantis with a big Wald basket, fenders, and albatross bars. Sometimes I crack a beer while I'm back there too. :beer:

velomateo
04-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Passed a young lady, who appeared to be a new rider, one day. I had to slow and wait up for her to inform her that her helmet was on backwards. She said she liked that way...go figure.

rePhil
04-12-2016, 10:17 AM
He wasn't on a bike but the other day I saw a guy running wearing a sports bra...or was it a bro?

rpm
04-12-2016, 10:29 AM
When I'm out on a wide open road with no traffic or other bikers in sight, and somebody comes up behind me and yells "On your left!"

Formulasaab
04-12-2016, 10:29 AM
Headwinds.
Around here they can be ridiculous. I just gotta laugh so I don't cry.

Bingo. Having to pedal downhill never fails to tickle the irony bone.

phcollard
04-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Passing a guy in full kit riding a 10k$ carbon marvel on the local climb while I'm riding my Corsa Extra in casual wear. That doesn't happen very often because I'm slow but when it does... Priceless!

Also the other day I was riding behind some guy wearing one of those Sugoi padded undershorts... You know the very perforated ones? Except the guy did not have a short over his undershorts. You could see everything if you know what I mean... Gross and funny at the same time.

numbskull
04-12-2016, 10:46 AM
While wearing a cheap large white helmet and a Gore fitted windproof white jacket I passed two young teen girls waiting for a school bus and heard one say to the other,

"Look! It's a giant lightbulb".

Cameron
04-12-2016, 10:55 AM
In general, just people taking themselves too seriously. I giggle a little to myself when I see the "pathletes" the most maybe though. Fully kitted, full aero gear, fully carbon (and usually fully creaky), and looking like they're hating every minute of it.

You're on a bike for goodness sake, it's supposed to be fun! Have fun!

dustyrider
04-12-2016, 11:36 AM
I always laugh at drivers. Particularly the ones that floor it to beat me out of a red light only to have to stop at the next one.

When I laugh out loud it's usually because I'm headed downhill!

AngryScientist
04-12-2016, 11:46 AM
good thread:

-men in cars who sing justin beber or taylor swift songs with the windows down - yea, i saw you!

-traffic on city streets that i can just cruise past. i think it's great when some guy in a benz or mini van is clearly in a huge rush, but is catching every single traffic light and the guy on a bike just keeps going at a steady pace, averaging faster than any of the cars.

-dogs: generally speaking, i just freaking love dogs out playing/walking with their owners. bonus smiles if the dog is carrying a big stick in it's mouth or an oversized toy. love it.

Ti Designs
04-12-2016, 11:52 AM
Once in a while I have to ride my tandem to the shop solo. Most people just say "she fell off". I had one guy in a truck roll up to me and asked if the ex-wife got the house and the car...

purpurite
04-12-2016, 12:02 PM
Snot rockets gone awry.

Snot is always funny.

Rapid Tourist
04-12-2016, 07:01 PM
I was on a century ride out in the country, so lots of bikers on the course. Watched a pug chase a guy in a full kit on a carbon rig and the pug actually held on for a good while. Then i realized the pug was chasing every rider going by. Here's to the tenacious pugs out there!:banana:

paredown
04-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Last year I was doing my regular route up in Harriman Park, and some group was running a time trial.

I rounded one of the corners to start up a climb and got a solid round of applause from the eight girl friends and family members that were there cheering people on.

I thanked them profusely--I mean, when's the last time you got applauded on a training ride?:banana:

Anarchist
04-12-2016, 07:57 PM

What makes you laugh on your rides?

My shadow ..........

TEMPLE
04-12-2016, 08:12 PM
I laugh at the things I run over. One day I got trapped between a BFT (big something truck) and the shoulder of the road, forcing me to head straight into a big pile of poop. Nothing I could do. Imagine my relief when I realized it was a double chocolate donut*.

*yes, I briefly thought about going back for it. Tough day on the bike.