PDA

View Full Version : Fizik Arione CX with Kium rails vs. manganese rails

Team Murray
04-12-2016, 12:02 AM
I know the manganese rail version is much cheaper. Is the ride/feel different from the Kium version? Is it the same exact shell?

cadence90
04-12-2016, 03:08 AM
On your question re: ride/feel I have not felt any real difference between the two.

Your question re: shell is more critical, I think.

My Kium Ariones ("Classics" not the newer "R3") all have 8 WingFlex "cuts" on the outside, and 12 on the shell underside.

My Manganese Arione "R5" has only 3 "cuts" outside, and 0 inside, and does not seem to flex as well.

However, my Kium and Managanese saddles are from different years (Kium older, Mang current), and I see the the current R3 Kiums also have only 3 "cuts", as do all other R models.

I think the main shell difference is between the "Classic" models and the "R" models, with the rail material being less important. To further complicate matters, Fizik do not list manganese rail options on a lot of their models, but we know they exist.

As you know, the CX padding is not the same (and a bit less of it) than that utilized on standard Ariones.

benb
04-12-2016, 08:13 AM
I don't have the CXs but I have 2 regular Ariones, one with Manganese rails and one with Kium rails.

Part of me thinks the Manganese one might be more comfortable. All the wing flex details look the same on mine.

I am increasingly convinced the foam in the Arione gets harder when it gets cold.. big difference AFAICT at 30F vs 60F+. That seems to be the biggest factor for me.

Climb01742
04-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Do you think Fizik is_trying_to make choosing an Arione a complete crap shoot?:confused:

zennmotion
04-12-2016, 09:36 AM
I have both, and I can't feel any difference. The one with Kium rails is older, and all black (I think leather cover?) The newer one with Mn rails has a synthetic cover. The rails and cover don't look quite as nice, but whatever. Go ride your bike.

cadence90
04-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Do you think Fizik is_trying_to make choosing an Arione a complete crap shoot?:confused:

Indeed. Love the brand, love the Arione, but all these variations are a bit too much.... :crap:

I definitely prefer the "older" (what 5 years? we're hardly talking Regal or Concor here), "classic" (again, really?) versions of my Ariones. Leather cover, Kium rails, great saddle.

Fizik made their entire id on saddles, especially those. Now, they only come in black, no custom covers, and soon I bet they won't even produce them.

I have this new R5, not nearly as impressed or happy with it.