PDA

View Full Version : Serotta monostay clearance

rpm
04-11-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has tried running 28's on a Serotta equipped with the carbon monostay that was used on a lot of Legends, CDA's and Meivici's. I don't think the width is an issue, but the height could be close. I see about 5 or 6 mm of clearance with Conti 4000 25's on a 23 mm wide Hed rim. The front with the F3 fork looks to be no problem.

People tell me that theConti 4000 28's will for sure not work, but I'm wondering about the Compass Chinook Pass or the S-Works Turbos.

If a 28 is a no go on the rear, I'm also wondering about Compass Cayuse Pass 26's or running a 28 on the front and a 25 on the rear. Any feedback on these options would also be appreciated.

OtayBW
04-11-2016, 05:40 PM
I'm getting a tight 18 mm between the top of my Open Corsa 700x23s on a Neutron rim and the inside of the monostay on my Legend Ti. ~1 mm sidewall clearance either side.

pavel
04-11-2016, 06:00 PM
I had 700x25michelin pro race 4s on A23 rims (measures to 28) on my CDA without any issues.

rpm
04-11-2016, 06:44 PM
I had 700x25michelin pro race 4s on A23 rims (measures to 28) on my CDA without any issues.

I have a CDA too and another bike with that rim/tire combo and I tested it so I know that works. I just don't know whether tires labeled 28 will be the same size as the Pro4 25's.

572cv
04-11-2016, 07:13 PM
I ran Cayuse Pass 26/Hed 23 rim and also Cayuse Pass26/Pacenti23 on a Meivici and Fierte last season w/o problems.

rpm
04-11-2016, 07:15 PM
I ran Cayuse Pass 26/Hed 23 rim and also Cayuse Pass26/Pacenti23 on a Meivici and Fierte last season w/o problems.

Cool. How do you like the ride, compared to other tires you've used?

EDS
04-11-2016, 08:57 PM
I have used 700x28 Schwalbe Ultremos on H+son archetype rims on my HSG ti.

572cv
04-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Cool. How do you like the ride, compared to other tires you've used?

Ride was smooth, tires had excellent grip. I felt more secure on downhill curves and in rain. In the field, one of my best ever. Only downside is durability. I checked them closely in fall, and the sidewalls were giving out. Both tires. Still plenty of tread, not so many miles... I'd buy them again next time I have a few large bills to blow, but will try some others meanwhile for value, just to be sure.

rpm
04-12-2016, 08:07 AM
Ride was smooth, tires had excellent grip. I felt more secure on downhill curves and in rain. In the field, one of my best ever. Only downside is durability. I checked them closely in fall, and the sidewalls were giving out. Both tires. Still plenty of tread, not so many miles... I'd buy them again next time I have a few large bills to blow, but will try some others meanwhile for value, just to be sure.

Very helpful. Thanks!

pjmsj21
04-12-2016, 08:47 AM
Very timely question for me as I have the same question about the same tire/frame combination. I am running the non-Skeleton Campy brakes which gives me more clearance over the newer skeleton brakes but I still have the concern about 28's.

I also have a bit of a concern about flats with the Compass tires???

I'm wondering if anyone has tried running 28's on a Serotta equipped with the carbon monostay that was used on a lot of Legends, CDA's and Meivici's. I don't think the width is an issue, but the height could be close. I see about 5 or 6 mm of clearance with Conti 4000 25's on a 23 mm wide Hed rim. The front with the F3 fork looks to be no problem.

People tell me that theConti 4000 28's will for sure not work, but I'm wondering about the Compass Chinook Pass or the S-Works Turbos.

If a 28 is a no go on the rear, I'm also wondering about Compass Cayuse Pass 26's or running a 28 on the front and a 25 on the rear. Any feedback on these options would also be appreciated.

rpm
04-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Alas, I went to the local outpost of the Evil S Empire and gave in to the Dark Side by buying the new Turbo S-Works 28s. These are the tires that were developed by the ex-Conti engineer and that did so well in the VeloNews rolling resistance test. They fit with an acceptable safety margin on all sides.

After 90 minutes on my usual cratered roads I can report that they are definitely cushier than my Conti 4000 25s and seem not to give up anything in the speed department. I'll report back in mid-summer after I've put a bunch of miles on them.