PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo TICKR HRM + Strava Mobile App - has anyone tried this?

scharny
04-11-2016, 10:39 AM
Having just built up a new mountain bike, I am on a relatively frugal budget for the near future, at least if I want to not be sleeping on the couch.

However, since (during the work week) I ride ~20 miles nearly every day on my lunch break (yeah I'm pretty lucky), and a lot of my rides are the same, I am thinking about getting a HRM to track my fitness, and stay motivated.

I use the Strava iPhone app to track all my rides. I've owned 2 Garmin units - both died outside the warranty period, and I can't justify buying one. Thus the Wahoo TICKR HRM (https://www.strava.com/store/products/wahoo-tickr-hrm?taxon_id=2) is pretty attractive for $49. Has anyone used this? What did they like/dislike about it?

Thanks in advance.

chiasticon
04-11-2016, 10:59 AM
here is what you're after: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/tag/wahoo-tickr

seems decent enough and from what I've read around the webs, decently comfortable as HRM straps go. I haven't used that specific HRM but I have used the Mio Link (wrist-based HRM) with the Strava app a few times and it's worked great.

I mean, c'mon, Team Sky use it! :cool:

http://www.wahoofitness.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Team-Sky-KICKR-Smart-Trainer-and-TICKR-Heart-Rate-Monitor.jpg

stien
04-11-2016, 11:13 AM
The wife and I use Tickrs with our Kickrs talking to iPhones inside and to Garmin Edge 500s outside. No complaints. Then again I never had a complaint about my old Garmin strap except that it wasn't bluetooth.

ceolwulf
04-11-2016, 11:39 AM
The Tickr is a really nice strap. I got one because my Garmin strap always had problems in cold weather. Tickr has been fine.

rwerkudara
04-11-2016, 12:00 PM
I used this setup for running (Strava on iPhone) before I purchased a dedicated running watch. Works well and comfortable strap. I now use the Tickr HRM with my Garmin and no complaints. It's nice having one device that has both Bluetooth/Ant+ compatibility. The blinking lights might throw off some people as it's visible through jerseys/shirts, but I don't mind them.

Pierre
04-11-2016, 03:34 PM
I've used it with the strava mobile app using an iphone. No problems at all. I'm assuming that you are on a relatively new iphone, right? I ask because I could not get my older ipad to communicate with it.

As an aside, I'm not sure how those SKY riders kept a straight face for that photo shoot...maybe no one gave them a mirror...those slick hairstyles have no place in cycling...what is this FIFA????

scharny
04-11-2016, 03:42 PM
I've used it with the strava mobile app using an iphone. No problems at all. I'm assuming that you are on a relatively new iphone, right? I ask because I could not get my older ipad to communicate with it.

As an aside, I'm not sure how those SKY riders kept a straight face for that photo shoot...maybe no one gave them a mirror...those slick hairstyles have no place in cycling...what is this FIFA????

Yes iPhone 4s; it's the oldest model compatible with the bluetooth LE interface.

EPIC! Stratton
04-11-2016, 06:25 PM
I have a Wahoo Tickr and use it with my phone for running all the time. Use the HRM with my Garmin when riding. Used it with phone and Strava plenty though prior to Garmin. Works great. No complaints.

shovelhd
04-11-2016, 09:56 PM
I have one. Works great. Very comfortable. I use it in ANT+ mode with my PC I paired it with my phone just to make sure that the BTLE worked.