PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever take apart SRAM and Shimano brifters?

Veloo
04-11-2016, 06:58 AM
After taking apart the Ultra and Powershift levers, I'm curious about SRAM and Shimano. Maybe get a hold of a busted set and tear them down.

Are they as service friendly as Campy?

Veloo
04-11-2016, 06:59 AM
Whoops, wrong forum. Mods, please move to general.

oldpotatoe
04-11-2016, 07:05 AM
After taking apart the Ultra and Powershift levers, I'm curious about SRAM and Shimano. Maybe get a hold of a busted set and tear them down.

Not even close, well, sram is close but shimano is a nightmare..easy to take apart, tough to put back together. At least Campag offers shift assemblies for not much $..and I buy them for spare parts.

unterhausen
04-11-2016, 07:15 AM
there are some videos on youtube.

Andreas
04-11-2016, 07:16 AM

Yes.
Taken apart, serviced and repaired Shimano STI many times.
Mostly 7400/7700/7800.

The past "serviceability" of Campa brifters vs Shimano and SRAM is interweb legend.

It may have been easier to get Campa shifter parts in the past, but since Shimano is so ubiquitous, I have been able to get spare parts for free.

Disclaimer: No experience with Shimano STI 7900/9000.

mktng
04-11-2016, 07:16 AM
I wanted to gut a 6800 shifter for 1x set up. Haha. Too much work

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
04-11-2016, 11:48 AM
Theres intructions how to fix shimano brifters moving around just in case.

guyintense
04-11-2016, 01:07 PM
I've been able to repair a few 7700 shifters but there are a few I've tried without success. Sometimes just disassembling, cleaning and removing burrs works, sometimes not.

unterhausen
04-11-2016, 04:18 PM
the videos regarding SRAM repair really make me annoyed that they didn't stock any parts. There is a gear in them that strips. The cheaper levers actually have redundant gears, same one works on both sides, and you can move a broken one between sides and it will work. Red doesn't have that, because of weight. The gear itself is quite inexpensive, they should have a giant box of them sitting in a warehouse and just ship them as needed. But I guess they decided not to do that.

oldpotatoe
04-12-2016, 05:45 AM
Yes.
Taken apart, serviced and repaired Shimano STI many times.
Mostly 7400/7700/7800.

The past "serviceability" of Campa brifters vs Shimano and SRAM is interweb legend.

It may have been easier to get Campa shifter parts in the past, but since Shimano is so ubiquitous, I have been able to get spare parts for free.

Disclaimer: No experience with Shimano STI 7900/9000.

Not true at all. I have 3 bins full of Campagnolo ERGO small parts. From 1992 to 2016, I have bits for all the levers. And they are new parts, not recycled from some busted lever in the bottom of a bike shop throwaway bin.

Yes, shimano parts for 'free' from busted shimano levers. BUT if that 'part' you need in that busted lever is also busted..you won't call any shimano supplier anywhere to get it.

sram actually started their levers as rebuildable like Campag. I even went to a seminar to see how it's done..and did a few but sram realized, as the first gen started failing, it was cheaper to replace the lever rather than have the SKU for all the small bits. I had a customer have his second force lever break..sram sent a pair of NEW Red shifters..I asked what to do with old lever, 'throw it away' the gent said. I also asked about a shift lever blade for another lever..just send me one.."don't have any but I'll send you a new lever', I then asked what they did with all these levers with busted shift levers, 'we throw them away'...oh well.

BUT I OVH/repair ERGO all the time. If ya break one, send it to me and I can fix it. With new parts.

ripvanrando
04-12-2016, 05:53 AM
I took one of my broken Shimano shifters apart to fix and could not get it back together.

oldpotatoe
04-12-2016, 06:36 AM
I took one of my broken Shimano shifters apart to fix and could not get it back together.

Early in the shimano 9s days, at the shop we got a 6500 RH lever, about 3 weeks old, that stopped working..No amount of flush would fix it. So, me and another guy took it apart to try to fix it. Found a broken spring, harvested one from a busted lever, looked pretty close..then tried to put it back together...we ended up sending the loose parts back to shimano USA in a zip lock..and they warrantied it. :beer:

frank_h
04-12-2016, 02:06 PM
I've gutted and/or rebuilt several SRAM levers (Red and Force). Some tiny pins in a few places, but other than that it was never a bad job. If you have any experience working with small electronics it helps. Tweezers, keeping track of the tiny bits, and pictures as you can, ... you'll be fine.

Helpful link for the tear down steps: cyclocross magazine article (http://www.cxmagazine.com/removing-sram-double-tap-shift-mechanism-single-ring)