PDA

View Full Version : Commuter > Cross Racer

pakora
04-10-2016, 07:05 PM
I'm trying to justify N+1 but also be sensible about it. I just moved to Seattle and my singlespeed commuter bike isn't going to cut it. I gave away my 'cross race bike because no one wanted to buy it before I moved. This might be wishful thinking because I'm new to town and am out of shape but I'd like to race a full cross season here where cross is boss and even huger than back in the Mid-Atlantic.

If you believe the marketing copy of some manufacturers, it's a thing to use a 'cross race bike as a commuter - swap tires, take off fenders and rack; replace Sunday night. I'm thinking of picking up a Niner RLT9 with a fantastic spec (Ultegra hydro/Stan's wheels) at a great price with an eye on doing this. Not a perfect race bike, but good enough for an aspiring mid-pack B racer, and if anything overdoing it for a commuter bike but hey it doesn't hurt for your primary transportation to be baller, right?

My question: does anyone actually do this in the real world? Realistically you would just have race wheels but even if it's minimal removing then putting back on SKS Longboards and a rack seems like a real PITA. Not to mention if everything got mudded up and there was no washing station at the race.

Your real world experience in doing this (or totally not doing it when you planned to) is appreciated.

rwsaunders
04-10-2016, 07:21 PM
Find a Poprad frame, experiment and have some fun. They have fender tabs and fit XC tires as well and there were canti frames and disc frames made through the years.

Lovetoclimb
04-10-2016, 08:17 PM
Did it for my first 2 cross seasons on a Surly Cross-Check and I will confirm the fenders were a huge pain. I was using VO fenders with 3-4 points of attachment. I was also racing on clinchers so I had to swap the cross tires back to more city commuter appropriate tires which was not a huge deal, same tube size. Did not mess with a rack but usually ended up pulling crank and bottom bracket after very dirty races, something you would probably want to do on a race bike anyway. I say go for it, the RLT9 seems like a crazy nice multi-use bike. If you are tall and do end up wanting a race only bike I have one for sale that would be great!!!

fil
04-11-2016, 07:28 AM
race blades?

Vinci
04-11-2016, 08:12 AM
Sounds like it would be a compromise on both sides.

Full fenders are great for commuting, but a PITA to take off for a race. Quick release fenders are fast to take off, but suck for coverage while commuting.

A seatpost-mount rack can work fine, though. Depending on your affinity for carbon, you may have to have a "commuting saddle/post/rack" that you swap in for your race "saddle/post", since you don't want to use a rack on a carbon post.

MattTuck
04-11-2016, 08:14 AM
This idea sounds great in theory, but would probably be very annoying in practice. it is something I would try, for the economy of it. but is probably something I'd give up on after the 2nd or third week.

Then again, I only have on saddle and one set of pedals, and I move them back and forth between my outside bike and my trainer bike on a regular basis. But fenders are not as easy.

KidWok
04-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Welcome to Seattle. Gimme a holler if you want to meet up for drinks and a ride.

Yeah...I use a 'cross bike for a commuter as well. You may want lower gearing than you'll race with, especially if you've got a lot of stuff to haul. Racks, fenders, different gearing, having something that doesn't look too fancy, etc...at the end of the day a commuter is a pretty different beast. I'd start with getting something set up for commuting. Ride a few 'cross races with it just to see if you'll get back into it and get a dedicated racing rig when the time is right.

Tai

chiasticon
04-11-2016, 01:11 PM
I'll say this: sometimes I feel like half of my cross season is just managing equipment for my bike(s). I'm constantly swapping tires and wheels depending on whether I'm racing, practicing, riding single track, riding road, riding the trainer, changing based on course conditions, etc. plus cleaning the bike and clothes after almost every ride, and certainly every race. not to mention carrying all this crap back and forth to my car and getting it in/out of the car at the race...

I mean, I love it and everything; I'm just saying that's kinda par for the course. so throwing fenders on Sunday night isn't that much extra work. you just have to make sure you do your post-race cleanup on Sunday instead of during your Monday rest day (or that Monday is really rainy!). this also means you can't break anything at the race though, if you've only got one bike for everything. or you'd better keep spares around at least.

p nut
04-11-2016, 02:07 PM
I concur with those saying swapping parts gets old real fast. With a family, I have limited time to ride as-is, and time fiddling with part swaps eats into precious time out on the road.

That said, if you are able to keep the set up the same rest of the year, and just switch it out during the short cross season, it may be feasible. i.e., Lose the full length fenders and use Race blades. Use a backpack vs rack. Still not ideal, but manageable.

pakora
04-11-2016, 10:43 PM
Yeah, really my hope is that cross season is short enough that the pain in the ass it is to swap fenders on and off is offset by the fact that I have eliminated a bike from the roster - maybe two even, since one of my bikes is a Cannondale road bike that isn't such a joy to ride that I'd care that much that my (sweet) commuter with piggish tires is what I'm riding for long, fast rides on pavement.

p_nut and others though, you make a good point. I am not a gear head and don't enjoy working on bikes - I prioritize stuff just working and the only reason I know how to wrench is you have to wait for the shop to work on your bike, hence having the right bike for the job.

Dang which brings us back to the original question heh.

Iansir
04-11-2016, 11:30 PM
Not worth it, speaking from experience. As a seattle daily commuter, my commuter disc cross (BMC) gets trashed and needs a frequent major clean/overhaul to run in good condition. Not to mention the fender PITA. Stick with N+1 so that you have a smooth running race bike.

pdmtong
04-12-2016, 12:48 AM
Maybe 6-7 years ago when I decided to try CX racing (if you can call 35+ C's "racing") I bought a used 2008 s-works tricross. I figured the fender and rack mounts would help me justify the purchase since it would serve double duty as my California winter full-fendered road bike.

The Tricross caters to us “freeroaders” by aiming for that sweet spot between road, cyclocross and touring.

In the beginning I had one set of wheels. Every race or practice I would switch out the tires. what a PITA. next thing I know now I have a dedicated set of CX wheels and tires.

I run it winter with full planet bike fenders (and buddy flaps). this as you know is nirvana for wet. amazing how dry your shoes can stay and the total lackof filth on your kit.

however, there is just no quick way to take off or put on fenders. and change pedals. and do this each time you want to practice or race.
and worse, despite it's-position at the time as Specialized's top CX bike...let's face it...it's no the perfect race bike (not that having one would improve my placement - frankly I suck at CX and my goal is to not finish behind the chubby guy with the big engine in the lime green PI jacket)

it's not perfect for road, not perfect for cx, but it does work great as my cx and winter rain bike. if I ever replace it, I will order something with cx/gravel geo that can take fat tires and has fender mounts (and discs)/ but I haven't found the cave with the bag of money yet.

the idea of swapping parts sounds practical, but in my experience it is a huge PITA....and btw I'm not factoring in the mud nuances since CA is still in drought mode.

get two bikes. you will be happier.

notsew
04-12-2016, 10:27 AM
I live a bit north of Seattle and I do the cross/commuter/ginder thing with my poprad. I have two sets of wheels, one with the commuter tires, one with the off road tires. The rack I take off for cross and grinding. It is a bit of a pain, but manageable.

I think the fenders would be the real drag. My commute is only about 3 miles, so I just wear some light rain pants and throw on an ass saver if its wet. My ride is short enough I can usually time it between big rains.

Anyways, it works okay for me. It would be great to have a dedicated racer and such, but I have some space limitations, so this works for what it is. I'm also not feeling like the bike is what is keeping me back on the race course. :beer: