PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Trump

rounder
04-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Interesting read on the Tour de Trump which became the Tour du Pont.

I am not sure all of the facts are correct because I believe that the race came to Baltimore harbor the first year in 1989. It was the first bike race I ever saw. You could hear the chains as the bikes rode by. Davis Phinney won the stage. I was psyched and got rid of my Sears bike and bought a Schwinn. Then two months later when Greg won the Tour by eight seconds, I got rid of the Schwinn and bought a Bianchi.

The Tour du Pont stages came near my house for the next few years and I was lucky (or unlucky depending on your views) to get autographs of Bobby Julich, George Hincapie and Lance when they were first year pros. I later saw the final time trial in D.C. the year that Greg won.

(I am not voting for Trump...not sure if I will be voting for anyone)

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/04/donald-trump-2016-tour-de-trump-bike-race-213801

fiamme red
04-10-2016, 10:33 AM
I love the juxtaposition of the "Eat the Rich" signs at the finish in New Paltz with the Huffy banner under them. ;)

http://static2.politico.com/dims4/default/9c05573/2147483647/resize/1003x%3E/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F3d%2F66%2F a0ab7e254dcd99fad8b099d9ee65%2Fhogan2.jpg

joev
04-11-2016, 10:17 PM
I had a chance to see the 1990 Tour de Trump as it came to the "Devil's Kitchen" in the Catskills. Wow, what a climb! The peloton came up a steep, twisty, occasionally maintained road. It was quite a site to see the guys grinding up that climb followed by the huge bike caravan. I'm not sure the areas has seen such excitement since. Here is a link to a blog from someone who recreationally road the climb:

http://ridingthecatskills.com/2012/12/23/worth-the-trip-platte-clove/

oldpotatoe
04-12-2016, 09:31 AM
I love the juxtaposition of the "Eat the Rich" signs at the finish in New Paltz with the Huffy banner under them. ;)

http://static2.politico.com/dims4/default/9c05573/2147483647/resize/1003x%3E/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F3d%2F66%2F a0ab7e254dcd99fad8b099d9ee65%2Fhogan2.jpg

The more things change, the more they stay the same. :)

redir
04-12-2016, 09:50 AM
There's something funny in an ironic sense that the Mexican Raul Acala won that race in 1991.

I remember when it was Du Pont and came right by my house in Virginia. IT was a thrill.

Dead Man
04-12-2016, 10:58 AM
Damn shame it had to be named what it was named and run by who it was run by... Could have been huge, and changed American pro cycling. But just the name alone meant a limited number of people could even take it seriously.

Jeez, man. That guy is such a ****ing moron.

Formulasaab
04-12-2016, 11:25 AM
As Wilmington, DE is my hometown, I was able to see many of the stages in person. I often had to skip class to do it, but it was totally worth it.
Pro Tour riders both climbing and descending the nasty cobbles of Monkey Hill on TIME TRIAL bikes? :eek: Terrifying stuff.

In my little memento box in the back of my closet I still have a piece carbon fiber and foam from the Tri-spoke wheel that exploded when a rider crashed turning onto the cobbles and slid into the curb in front of me.

rounder
04-12-2016, 12:02 PM
I saw one of the stages at Monkey Hill. I remember a guy flying down a hill and then making a sharp turn. The team car him behind skidded across the road.

Formulasaab
04-12-2016, 01:09 PM
I saw one of the stages at Monkey Hill. I remember a guy flying down a hill and then making a sharp turn. The team car him behind skidded across the road.

Yup. I was standing on the outside of that turn, well protected by a bit of snow fence and a haybale.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7564278,-75.5493171,3a,75y,283.24h,66.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sWbpLPYuNRFCqFdy7a7_btg!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

I did get a couple of great photos that day. I should scan them.

rnhood
04-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Props to Trump for what he did in order to kick this tour off, even if it was relatively short lived. Dupont took it over with their sponsorship, but all good things seem to come to an end, this included. It was really great having some of the stages in Virginia. I have always wished this would get kicked off again, but the chance seems to be waning.

echappist
04-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Props to Trump for what he did in order to kick this tour off, even if it was relatively short lived. Dupont took it over with their sponsorship, but all good things seem to come to an end, this included. It was really great having some of the stages in Virginia. I have always wished this would get kicked off again, but the chance seems to be waning.

A stage right here in Arlington, stage in Richmond that used Church Hill, a stage that went up Wintergreen (a real a** climb), and a stage in Central Park itself. Whatever we think of him as a person, this is quite the feat for cycling.

redir
04-12-2016, 02:44 PM
I agree I think Trumps sponsorship of this race, and probably his over the top personality, you know no such thing as bad publicity, helped peak an interest in American Cycling.

Like the article said it's not uncommon for races to take off have a run and then die. It doesn't mean they were not a success.

DarkStar
04-12-2016, 02:46 PM
I have a large banner from the race, and the issue of Winning Magazine covering the event. Pics later.

MattTuck
04-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it would be cool to have a WorldTour level one day race in the US? I mean, one that sticks around, with some pedigree.

Not sure where in the calendar it would fit, or even if it would be possible, but it sure would be cool to have a one day classic with some character.

If Strade Bianche can do it over the course of essentially 8 years, we should be able to do something here.

Black Dog
04-12-2016, 03:52 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it would be cool to have a WorldTour level one day race in the US? I mean, one that sticks around, with some pedigree.

Not sure where in the calendar it would fit, or even if it would be possible, but it sure would be cool to have a one day classic with some character.

If Strade Bianche can do it over the course of essentially 8 years, we should be able to do something here.

No kidding, we seem to have established 2 in Canada, It would make sense to have at least one south of the border.

Tony T
04-12-2016, 06:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHNk5oZQK8&ab_channel=DiabloScott

pitonpat
04-12-2016, 07:44 PM
Oh man, that picture from New Paltz, NY brought back memories!!! That little college town sits near the base of (arguably) the East Coast's best rock climbing area known as the Shawangunks- more commonly known as the 'Gunks.

Having spent many years climbing there starting in the glory days of the Sixties, and doing a fair share of drinking and general misbehaving in the town after a long day of climbing, I can attest to the general anti-social/anarchist/hippie/liberal attitude that is common there- like most any college town I guess!

That picture was taken on the main street near a watering hole known as Pat & Georges (P&G's) which was sort of the (counter) cultural center of the town, as well as having the cheapest drafts!!

Hard to believe that Trump chose that bastion of liberalism as the first finish line for his race....wish I had been there to see it.

I'll include a picture that typifies the era. So-called 'Vulgarian' Dick Williams climbing a route called Shockley's Ceiling, nude- as an affront to the more genteel climbing public of the day...

Tony T
04-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Oh man, that picture from New Paltz, NY brought back memories!!! That little college town sits near the base of (arguably) the East Coast's best rock climbing area known as the Shawangunks- more commonly known as the 'Gunks.

A lot of great riding in that area.

They now have the Survival of the Shawangunks (http://sostriathlon.com):

The Survival of the Shawangunks (SOS) is an eight stage triathlon held in New Paltz, NY. Cycle country roads and scenic highways circling the northern ridge of the Shawangunk Mountain Range. Ascend the western face. At the entrance to Minnewaska State Park leave your bike for a combination run/swim journey through some of America's most beautiful cross-country trails and spring fed lakes.

Bike: 30 miles | Run 4.5mi to Awosting | Swim: 1.1mi Awosting | Run 5.5mi to Minnewaska | Swim .5mi Minnewaska | Run 8mi to Mohonk | Swim .5mi Mohonk | Climb .7 mi to Albert K. Smiley Memorial Tower

oldpotatoe
04-13-2016, 07:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHNk5oZQK8&ab_channel=DiabloScott

Some of the other interviews on the RH border of the u-tube page are 'interesting' too..

'rival the Tour De France'...yikes.

dookie
01-24-2018, 08:30 AM
Wow...I had no idea. Stumbled across this (genuine!) fact elsewhere just now, and...of course there's a thread here.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Tour_de_Trump_1989.jpg#/media/File:Tour_de_Trump_1989.jpg

R3awak3n
01-24-2018, 08:34 AM
The hardest climb of the Tour de Trump, as mentioned, Devils kitchen is 10 minutes ride from my front door. I have not done it yet, it is a crazy climb. There is a ton of good ridding up here that is for sure, I am about to go out the door, catskill, hudson then down to rhineback and back home to saugerties. It is cold and windy but it will do.

sandyrs
01-24-2018, 08:51 AM
The hardest climb of the Tour de Trump, as mentioned, Devils kitchen is 10 minutes ride from my front door. I have not done it yet, it is a crazy climb. There is a ton of good ridding up here that is for sure, I am about to go out the door, catskill, hudson then down to rhineback and back home to saugerties. It is cold and windy but it will do.

I took a trip to New Paltz with some teammates when I was in college. It was late March, and we planned to drive to Tannersville (sp? did I even get the town name right?) in order to ride Devil's Kitchen, but it was snowing so we ended up skipping it. The riding in that area, though, is some of the most memorable I've ever experienced–especially the dirt roads. Lucky you!

William
01-24-2018, 08:59 AM
It would be cool to get another big event like that going again in the U.S., just need someone willing to step up and make it happen. It probably won't anytime soon though.

Check out all those Giro buckets!!!

William

William
01-24-2018, 09:09 AM
BTW, if they added some jumps and maybe a jousting section to a pro road race Red Bull might be willing to step up to sponsor it. :banana:

:rolleyes: ;) :)
William

Tony T
01-24-2018, 09:11 AM
Here's a nice blog post on someone that did the Devil's Kitchen climb in 2012:
https://ridingthecatskills.com/2012/12/23/worth-the-trip-platte-clove/

FlashUNC
01-24-2018, 09:12 AM
It would be cool to get another big event like that going again in the U.S., just need someone willing to step up and make it happen. It probably won't anytime soon though.

Check out all those Giro buckets!!!

William

Tour of California, no?

Mr. Pink
01-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Wow, disturbing to see him with a gun in his hand in that position.

New Paltz rocks. I ride up there three or four times a season. Especially nice in the fall. Still full of those damn hippies though (just joking).

William
01-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Tour of California, no?

"Another" large multi-state race..."a North American cycling event similar in format and prestige to the Tour de France."

...is what I meant.

William

William
01-24-2018, 09:38 AM
Wow, disturbing to see him with a gun in his hand in that position.

Eh, cap gun, not worried about it.

William

Mr. Pink
01-24-2018, 09:39 AM
There's a joke in there somewhere.

glepore
01-24-2018, 09:54 AM
I've been up both the kitchen and Wintergreen, both are crazy climbs.

The TdT stage that finished up Wintergreen in a thunderstorm the year Lemond won the overall was insane.

echappist
01-24-2018, 10:09 AM

Wintergreen has a 2.5+ mile long section OVER 10%, and this is part of a 6 mile long climb averaging 7% (first 1.5 miles are quite mild, last 5 miles is at 9% average). I used a 34x36t to climb it, and the thing just doesn't ease off.

It doesn't get talked about as much as Devil's Kitchen, but it was part of the 1990 Tour (Richmond to Charlottesville).

Start at minute 31. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4ufHfCZGN4

echappist
01-24-2018, 10:20 AM
I've been up both the kitchen and Wintergreen, both are crazy climbs.

The TdT stage that finished up Wintergreen in a thunderstorm the year Lemond won the overall was insane.

the video i posted show them descending down Wintergreen. Presumably, they got onto Blue Ridge Parkway somehow. But, there's no access to Blue Ridge at the top of Wintergreen...

For those wondering, one doesn't descend down Wintergreen

BikeNY
01-24-2018, 10:59 AM
I forgot all about the Tour de Trump!

I don't remember what year it was, or if it was multiple years, but it came thru the Lehigh University campus while I was at school there. Or maybe it was the Tour Dupont already? Sometime between 1990 and 1995. Anyway, I remember them climbing 'the hill', maybe even multiple times? My memory from back then is a little fuzzy...

Spaghetti Legs
01-24-2018, 12:31 PM
the video i posted show them descending down Wintergreen. Presumably, they got onto Blue Ridge Parkway somehow. But, there's no access to Blue Ridge at the top of Wintergreen...

For those wondering, one doesn't descend down Wintergreen

There is a dirt connector road at the top, otherwise you take a right hand turn at the bottom of the descent and start another long climb back up to the Parkway.

There was a pro race about 10-15 years ago Williamsburg to Richmond that was on TV. It was in the spring and finished with a couple of laps in town, including the Libby Hill climb (as seen in the 2015 Worlds). It was snowing that day, making for tricky riding on the cobbles. I was in Richmond at the time and can't remember why I didn't go out and watch. I must have been working.

glepore
01-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Yeah, that dirt connector is funny. When I was in last in C'ville I rode the loop from Devil's Backbone Brewing up over 56 to the Parkway using a RWGPS route a local user had saved. After 50+ miles in the mountains I was supposed to make a right turn off the Parkway after the paved route down 664. Except there was no road. Back and forth on the Parkway, thinking I'd missed it. NO. Turns out the route had you doing some xc thing thru the back of the Wintergreen development to get onto their roads and down to 664. Lesson learned.

As to the poster that mentioned Leigh U and the TdT, that was another nasty loop course. My son did the junior race put on before the pro's on an MXL Merckx which was not the bike for that course and was gutted.

R3awak3n
01-24-2018, 02:17 PM
I took a trip to New Paltz with some teammates when I was in college. It was late March, and we planned to drive to Tannersville (sp? did I even get the town name right?) in order to ride Devil's Kitchen, but it was snowing so we ended up skipping it. The riding in that area, though, is some of the most memorable I've ever experienced–especially the dirt roads. Lucky you!

yeah man, I just got back from an incredible ride. I little road, a little gravel. Perfect amount of miles and incline.

you defiitely should come back and do devils kitchen, I have heard its amazing to complete, its on my list for this year

:banana:

Tony T
01-24-2018, 04:05 PM
A lot of great riding in that area.

They now have the Survival of the Shawangunks (http://sostriathlon.com):

The Survival of the Shawangunks (SOS) is an eight stage triathlon held in New Paltz, NY. Cycle country roads and scenic highways circling the northern ridge of the Shawangunk Mountain Range. Ascend the western face. At the entrance to Minnewaska State Park leave your bike for a combination run/swim journey through some of America's most beautiful cross-country trails and spring fed lakes.

Bike: 30 miles | Run 4.5mi to Awosting | Swim: 1.1mi Awosting | Run 5.5mi to Minnewaska | Swim .5mi Minnewaska | Run 8mi to Mohonk | Swim .5mi Mohonk | Climb .7 mi to Albert K. Smiley Memorial Tower

Just flipping channels, and on NBCSN now is the 2017 SOS :)