PDA

View Full Version : Gommaitalia clinchers...

catulle
06-18-2006, 11:36 AM
I just got back from a ride on the C-50 with Gommaitalia Targa clinchers. The more I ride these tires (tyres for the prep-school boys from CT), the more I like them. The Targa not only ride sweetly but provide a sense of safety and reliability. I love these clinchers.

Yesterday I rode the Cinelli Corsa with Conti Competition 19mm tubies and I thought I was in heaven. Today, I think I went to a subsidiary of the same place.

PBWrench
06-18-2006, 11:50 AM
I love the Targas as well and have many thousands of miles on them. Seem to be identical to Veloflex Pave -- also a smooth supple ride. As close to tubies as you can get w/o the requisite recreational glue sniffing.

catulle
06-18-2006, 11:52 AM
I love the Targas as well and have many thousands of miles on them. Seem to be identical to Veloflex Pave -- also a smooth supple ride. As close to tubies as you can get w/o the requisite recreational glue sniffing.

Yeah, I know, they ain't perfect. I also do miss the glue, atmo.

Avispa
06-18-2006, 01:21 PM
I was in love with Gommis and Veloflexes.... Until the roads started to get nasty around here! I also had a durability problem.

They were great mistresses however... The ride was as great as Catulle says and more, BUT I was not happy about having to change/fix tubes every other day. Also, my visit to the Finger Lakes in '04 was a disaster as far as flats went, therefore the divorce!

I am back on Continentals now; Grand Prix 4Ks and Attack/Force. They are not good at all in the bedroom, but they surely make great wives: Dependable, predictable, durable... and not so bad on the bed, I mean the road!

:D :D

PBWrench
06-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Funny (not so funny) to read your post scooter-boy. Right after my post I went out for a 25 miler on my Legend with Gommis. At the very end of the ride, the front tire's sidewall blew open and I lost control and took a tumble. Not too serious, but some bumps and colorful road rash. Ready for some Conti 4000s . . .

catulle
06-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Funny (not so funny) to read your post scooter-boy. Right after my post I went out for a 25 miler on my Legend with Gommis. At the very end of the ride, the front tire's sidewall blew open and I lost control and took a tumble. Not too serious, but some bumps and colorful road rash. Ready for some Conti 4000s . . .

Ooops... I'm very sorry to hear it. I guess all tires and tubies flat all too often. Just when I find some rubber that I like and swear that it will be the only one forever, I get a flat. Of course, a blow-out is something else. I hope you heal soon, atmo.

Avispa
06-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Funny (not so funny) to read your post scooter-boy. Ready for some Conti 4000s . . .

LOL PBW!!! Sorry one man's misery is another's joy... But seriously, I hope you and yer bike are fine.

Welcome to the Conti club! I have a couple of Conti 4000, wanna try them?

Double :D :D

PBWrench
06-18-2006, 06:51 PM
I'll pass right now on the rubber, but thanks. Off to the Holyland in a few days anyway. Take care of the kitties!

davids
06-19-2006, 09:30 AM
Are the Gommaitalia Targa and the Veloflex Black/Pave the same tire? If so, why does Competitive Cyclist charge $20 more for the Gommaitalias?

PBWrench
06-19-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm not certain of manufacturing origin, etc (I've read that Veloflex are made in Vittoria's old Italian facility), but I've used both extensively and they appear to be identical. Targas come in cool metal can, Veloflex in a box.

fiamme red
06-19-2006, 11:30 AM
$70 for a single clincher tire? For riding around, not racing?

Please repeat this mantra: if it costs more, it must be better!

I'm happy with my Hutchinson Carbon Comps ($20 apiece from Nashbar).

flydhest
06-19-2006, 12:19 PM
fiamme,
How do those fit on a Campy wheel?

Is there a difference in how the Gommitalias fit on Campy wheels v. the veloflex? My clincher riding has been reduced to Protons so my new criterion for clinchers is ease of on and off. As an aside, anyone who had comments to make about my changing of my tubie at Nottrott weekend would have gone into a coma had I been forced to change a flat with Michelins and Protons. Eeek.

fiamme red
06-19-2006, 12:39 PM
fiamme,
How do those fit on a Campy wheel?

Is there a difference in how the Gommitalias fit on Campy wheels v. the veloflex? My clincher riding has been reduced to Protons so my new criterion for clinchers is ease of on and off. As an aside, anyone who had comments to make about my changing of my tubie at Nottrott weekend would have gone into a coma had I been forced to change a flat with Michelins and Protons. Eeek.The Hutchinsons are on Mavic Open 4 CD rims.

I would try Vredestein Fortezzas with the Protons. They fit loosely compared to other tires. Forget Michelins with Campy rims, you'll end up with blisters on your thumbs every time you change a flat.