PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Ti question...

catulle
06-18-2006, 11:30 AM
G'day fratelli,

A simple question for y'all, which Ti is easier to up-keep, brushed or polished? By up-keep I mean which titanium finish deteriorates less: brushed or polished.

As always, my eternal gratitude for your enlightened responses, atmo.

Smiley
06-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Matte finish is best and why I use it on my Ti Max , easy to keep clean and shows less scratches , I think steel wool will get the scatches out with a Matte finish frame too.

catulle
06-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Matte finish is best and why I use it on my Ti Max , easy to keep clean and shows less scratches , I think steel wool will get the scatches out with a Matte finish frame too.

And you ought to know. Thank you, Smiley.

Rover-Rich
06-18-2006, 11:41 AM

Hey Smiley, what about rub marks? I have a brushed Hampsten/Moots and there are rub marks where by bike carrier holds the frame. Will steel wool do the trick for this kind of blemish? :confused:

Blastinbob
06-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Scoth-brite or synthetic steel wool works very well.

eddief
06-18-2006, 01:54 PM
many homes have those two sided scrubbers at the kitchen sink; one side a sponge and the other with green scotch brite. When I had my ti frame I simply took an old one of these out to the shop and often rubbed out the small blems. With a bit of light rubbing compound the small blems and oxidations came out nicely. One of the beauties of unpainted ti.

catulle
06-18-2006, 01:56 PM

I'd guess this means that Ti tubes are perfectly naked when on a finished frame? I mean, they have no clear or coating of any sort? Would Brasso or Flitz or any of the polish creams work on Ti? Hey, thank you...!

eddief
06-18-2006, 02:27 PM
mine were. but far be it for me to tell you to scrub yours without you knowing whether it has been cleared or not. None I have seen or noticed have been clear coated.

Ahneida Ride
06-18-2006, 03:35 PM
The Serotta "Polish" finish cleans up real easy with some pledge.

SoCalSteve
06-18-2006, 03:41 PM

I just bought a used Seven Axiom that needed a pretty good "rehab". After stripping it down to the bare bones, I used Scotch Brite to bring it back to its natural finish (sans scratches). Then I redecaled it. Good as new!

I think Seven wanted $175.00 to do this. I did it in an afternoon.

Steve

stevep
06-18-2006, 03:55 PM
scotch brite good.
steel wool bad.
pledge to wax after.
like new.

there was the story of the guy who owned a merlin who decided to polish it himself...he ended up rubbing through the frame in spots..thereby destroying it. now excellent landfill.
bad idea.

Ti Designs
06-18-2006, 04:34 PM
there was the story of the guy who owned a merlin who decided to polish it himself...he ended up rubbing through the frame in spots..thereby destroying it.

I'm pretty sure this story was made up by one of the titanium frame builders to keep people from mucking with their frames. Not that I know anything about polishing titanium...

stevep
06-18-2006, 05:06 PM
i think it happened. the guy was a dentist and used some of his " buffing " tools to shine it up.
nice job....but bad idea.

Bradford
06-18-2006, 06:39 PM
I have a ti Legend. I clean it with windex clothes once every couple of months if I'm bored, but that's about it.

For me, the point of having an unpainted ti frame is that I don't have to worry about the finish. I couldn't honesty tell you where any scratches are on my bike.

I say consider it patina, not scratches, and just don't worry about it.

Fixed
06-18-2006, 07:42 PM
i think it happened. the guy was a dentist and used some of his " buffing " tools to shine it up.
nice job....but bad idea.
bro I knew there was a reason i didn't like going to the den's office .
cheers