PDA

View Full Version : Organized Group Rides in Boulder, CO.??

rockdude
06-18-2006, 10:17 AM
I am looking for a organized group rides in Boulder. I moved to Boulder about 10 Months ago and have only been on the bike about ten rides since then. Would love to join up with a group sometimes on weekday evenings and get my leg and motivation going again and most of all meet some new fun folks. Does anyone know of organized group rides in Boulder on weekday evenings?

Thanks,
John..

SoCalSteve
06-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Try contacting your local bike store/stores. Maybe they have a group of riders who leave from the shop, etc. This is pretty typical (at least here in Los Angeles).

Also, place an ad/poster/whatever in the shop, maybe there are others who feel the same way you do.

Good luck!

Steve

97CSI
06-18-2006, 01:52 PM
I found the folks at the Sports Garage, 27th & Spruce (Serotta dealer) to be very friendly while I was there. Am sure they can point you in the right directions. Also, Vecchio's @ 1833 Pearl is about as 'into' the local biking scene as is possible and can help you on this. They were trying to put together a group of classic (both bikes and riders) rides other than the one they sponsor each spring. Not sure how it has turned out.

BoulderGeek
06-18-2006, 04:40 PM
As I no longer live in Boulder, having needed more space and a garage thereby leaving B-town for the rolling flats of Lafayette, I would say that Vecchio's and SG are definitely your best bests in town. But, now that Full Cycle is on Pearl and 18th, perhaps they are doing something as well.

Louisville Cyclery has Saturday morning and I believe Thursday 6PM rides. Even farther east, Echelon Sports in Lafayette has a Saturday AM and a Monday PM ride as well.

I just did the 5430 Sprint tri this morning. That was organized. :rolleyes:

rockdude
06-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Went I first moved to Boulder I went to the LBS and asked them about group rides. The Young man said “ Just get out and ride, you will meet people to ride with. Most folks here are friendly and would not mind if you road with them.” So the next day I went out to ride and was pushing myself hard went a guy appeared next to me. I quickly noticed the nice BMC Bike. I thought to myself this might be my first biking friend in Boulder. By this time he was almost past me but I said, “Hi I am John”. As he quickly pulled in front of me he said, “ Hi I am Ty------, I did quite get his name but I thought if I get on his back tire maybe I can ask his name again. Well, I gave it my all and could never catch his back tire. The last thing I saw was a guy flying down the road in the pretty colors of Team Phonak.

Since that day I have tried to pick up other riders on the road with nearly the same result. They catch me, they pass and the last thing I see is their pretty team clothing.

I will ask around at some of the other LBS for slow Group Rides.

NicaDog
06-20-2006, 10:07 AM
any Saturday or Sunday morning and you will find multiple groups of riders going by. I'm sure you could hook up with most any of them. Some ride much faster pace than others, so it might take some trial and error before you find a group that fits your style and pace.

Another option is Amantes at the North End of Broadway. There is usually a group starting to form around 8:30 am on Saturday and Sundays - they leave around 9 if I'm not mistaken.

Enjoy!

Avispa
06-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Instead of chasing team riders, check this out:
http://www.vecchios.com/attenzione.html

I think this would be a good place to start. The folk at Vecchio's are great!

BoulderGeek
06-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Instead of chasing team riders, check this out:
http://www.vecchios.com/attenzione.html

I think this would be a good place to start. The folk at Vecchio's are great!

I'm going to drop by Vecchio's this afternoon to schedule a pro fit on my new-to-me Nove.

97CSI
06-20-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm going to drop by Vecchio's this afternoon to schedule a pro fit on my new-to-me Nove.Interesting that Vecchio's is listing this as their "First Annual" since they had one in April. About 20 folks showed up on a chilly day.