PDA

View Full Version : Tearing down an old friend

Lewis Moon
04-08-2016, 07:47 PM
I can't run. Much as I try I can't even get out of my own way. God help me if I have to sprint across a street to avoid getting hit by a car. A general lack of disks in my lower back (crushed Play Doh the doc called 'em). ...and a fake hip.
Can't run, can't 'cross.

The Ridley X-Fire has been the best 'cross platform I've ever ridden (I've had six) and made a damn fine gravel grinder and general all 'round bike. Big tires, robust build...I could go on. But it's a 'cross bike, and I haven't ridden it since the Atlanta rolled out of the garage 5000 miles ago. I'm a roadie. Always have been. I love the swoopy feel of a road bike. The scalpel like handling. Going fast. I could do that on the Ridley, but it's a 'cross bike.
The Road Logic is coming next week, so I had to tear down Boo (Boo Ridley...get it?). It's kinda weird but it feels a bit like taking your dog for his last ride to the vet.

Bye Boo.

weisan
04-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Don't. Do. It.

Because you will build it back up again in couple months.

Matthew
04-08-2016, 08:30 PM
Get some slicks. Ride it on the road. Casual rides. Groceries. Rail trails. That sort of thing. Keep it built. Give it some love on occasion.

Lewis Moon
04-08-2016, 09:14 PM
I can really only have two "good" bikes. The Road Logic overlaps what I would be doing on the Ridley a bit too much. It would probably relegate the Ridley even further down the ride chain. I really can't.justify a good bike I don't ride.

Louis
04-08-2016, 09:25 PM
It's kinda weird but it feels a bit like taking your dog for his last ride to the vet.

Bye Boo.

Just for the record, I don't subject my pets to a ride in the car for this (especially the cats, who hate it, no matter how sick they happen to be). I figure at that point in their life I owe them a final kindness which is to pay extra and have the vet come to us to do the deed.

That way Fido or Whiskers gets to take that final walk across the bridge to never-never land in comfortable and familiar surroundings.

What's a few extra bucks, given all the good times you've had together?

oldpotatoe
04-09-2016, 07:02 AM
Just for the record, I don't subject my pets to a ride in the car for this (especially the cats, who hate it, no matter how sick they happen to be). I figure at that point in their life I owe them a final kindness which is to pay extra and have the vet come to us to do the deed.

That way Fido or Whiskers gets to take that final walk across the bridge to never-never land in comfortable and familiar surroundings.

I certainly agree with this. OT but anybody that has pets is faced with this..

soulspinner
04-09-2016, 09:23 AM

Like your drive the Acura forever but take care of your animals approach.

Mzilliox
04-09-2016, 09:31 AM
I can't run. Much as I try I can't even get out of my own way. God help me if I have to sprint across a street to avoid getting hit by a car. A general lack of disks in my lower back (crushed Play Doh the doc called 'em). ...and a fake hip.
Can't run, can't 'cross.

The Ridley X-Fire has been the best 'cross platform I've ever ridden (I've had six) and made a damn fine gravel grinder and general all 'round bike. Big tires, robust build...I could go on. But it's a 'cross bike, and I haven't ridden it since the Atlanta rolled out of the garage 5000 miles ago. I'm a roadie. Always have been. I love the swoopy feel of a road bike. The scalpel like handling. Going fast. I could do that on the Ridley, but it's a 'cross bike.
The Road Logic is coming next week, so I had to tear down Boo (Boo Ridley...get it?). It's kinda weird but it feels a bit like taking your dog for his last ride to the vet.

Bye Boo.

So what are you doing with poor old Boo? I have a buddy looking for a cross bike around 56cm top tube give or take a cm...