PDA

View Full Version : So yesterday

oldfatslow
04-08-2016, 07:34 AM
Having gotten a hair cut on Wednesday I roll out Thursday for a ride. It ends up being about 50 miles with a couple of loops of a circuit which has some really short but hills. It's a beautiful sunny day but warm with temps in the low 80's. On the descents I can feel my hair blow in my helmet.

Anyway, I wrap up the ride and head, as is my practice, to pick-up the mail from the communal mailbox center for my street before riding the final 500' home. As I roll up to the mailbox I sit up and go to put my glasses on my helmet so I can see better.

It's then that I realize I'm not wearing my helmet. I had forgotten to put it on my head. I had ridden 3+ hours without knowing.

Clearly I was grinding something through my mind as it would never occur to me to ride without my helmet.

What's the craziest thing you've done while stressed out and out of your mind on your bike?

chiasticon
04-08-2016, 08:03 AM
there's a semi-local cx race series that I do that sends out pre-race emails about the venue, parking, registration, series standings, etc. they always note: "please wear a helmet when riding the course! we cannot stress this enough!" and I think: "well, duh." then last year, last race of the series I'm stressed out, swapping wheels between bikes because of issues with the A bike and making last-minute decisions on which tires to ride, which clothing to wear, etc. but I don't wanna miss any pre-ride opportunity, so when one comes up I roll onto the course; make it about 10 feet before I realize... something's... not right... yep, forgot my helmet. well, duh.

JamesEsq
04-08-2016, 08:15 AM
I hate to say, but on more than one occasion, I've forgotten that I'm clipped into my pedals, I coast to a stop, and then promptly fall straight over.

merlinmurph
04-08-2016, 08:22 AM
It's then that I realize I'm not wearing my helmet.

I did that once last year.

I was doing my noontime ride from work. Before the ride, I sit on a bench outside, put my shoes on and get ready. Went out for ~2 hours, came back and noticed someone's helmet on the bench. Oh, it's mine.

My poor wife in 10-20 years is going to have her hands full....

fuzzalow
04-08-2016, 08:24 AM
Brompton. Upper east side to Midtown east traffic. Never a helmet. Not outta forgetfulness but outta choice. Most traffic is fairly predictable and the risk is not always low but controllable.

I am never outta my mind riding a bike in any circumstance. That is a sure fire recipe to wind up dead.

To relate my post to the OP, I ride my Brompton to the lower east side to get haircuts at the hipster's barber of choice. Ya wanna go outta-your-mind numb just listen to some of the strange, alternative universe conversations that transpire in the chairs around me. Oh! To be young and rich!

oldfatslow
04-08-2016, 08:42 AM
I did that once last year.

Went out for ~2 hours, came back and noticed someone's helmet on the bench. Oh, it's mine.

My poor wife in 10-20 years is going to have her hands full....

That was me yesterday.

texbike
04-08-2016, 08:44 AM
What's the craziest thing you've done while stressed out and out of your mind on your bike?

I've forgotten bottles, ID, gloves, etc on occasion. However, the strangest (and scariest) to me are the times when I'm immersed in thought and all of a sudden snap to consciousness and realize that I don't remember the details of the last 20 minutes on the bike or how I got to that particular location without allocating a significant amount of focus to mentally retrace my steps.

As David Byrne says, "Well...How did I get here?".

Texbike

eippo1
04-08-2016, 08:51 AM
immersed in thought and all of a sudden snap to consciousness and realize that I don't remember the details of the last 20 minutes on the bike or how I got to that particular location without allocating a significant amount of focus to mentally retrace my steps.

Texbike

Done this one before, ending up about 20 miles off track simply because I was enjoying the road and spacing out. My 50 mile ride ended up much closer to about 100 miles. Actually had to call my wife up and ask her to look up an intersection to tell me what town I was in, so that I could at least figure how to loop back (going back down the road until I found something familiar is boring).

druptight
04-08-2016, 08:55 AM
Did this just this morning, got to the end of my street and I had a hat on because it was chilly but still felt like there was still something a little too free feeling about everything. Stopped, to think and realized I wasn't wearing my helmet.

Glad I didn't make it too far.

CampyorBust
04-08-2016, 09:33 AM

Yup. I wasn’t feeling myself the other day, so grabbed the fat bike and ventured out into the great white open…

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Meow_zpsjeebuhgi.jpg

If I only had a drone…:D

SuperColnago
04-08-2016, 09:46 AM
I've forgotten bottles, ID, gloves, etc on occasion. However, the strangest (and scariest) to me are the times when I'm immersed in thought and all of a sudden snap to consciousness and realize that I don't remember the details of the last 20 minutes on the bike or how I got to that particular location without allocating a significant amount of focus to mentally retrace my steps.

Texbike

Yes thats my story - I come in - asked How was the ride? And I can't remember a thing.....:beer:

bicycletricycle
04-08-2016, 10:26 AM
I have ridden all day without any repair stuff. I usually double triple check that stuff but sometimes I just space out.

Luckily I have not gotten a flat 40 miles out in the middle of no place (yet)

oldfatslow
04-08-2016, 02:51 PM
I have ridden all day without any repair stuff. I usually double triple check that stuff but sometimes I just space out.

Luckily I have not gotten a flat 40 miles out in the middle of no place (yet)

I've definitely done that one. I seem to have N-1 repair kit saddle bags. So there is always one bike that needs one. Invariably I'll get distracted or swap a bike last minute and then get out on the road and realize "oh, sh@t", I've got no tube, lever, pump, co2, etc. Usually, it's at the furthest most point from the house so I worry the whole way back or it's early in the ride so if i go back I'm mad at myself and don't want to go out again.

dsillito
04-08-2016, 03:02 PM
I once hit the only signpost in the middle of a huge parking lot, that was empty, on a Sunday, with no cars or people around. Totally tacoed my front wheel and had to walk home. Ran into a couple of friends on the way home and had to explain my pathetic story.

In my defense, I was in Jr. high school, and daydreaming about a girl. Not much has changed, unfortunately. I'm notoriously absent minded, but I've been assured it is a sure sign of genius. :D

Dead Man
04-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Had a spot on the line at a race a couple years ago.. stood/sat there all cool on my bike for like 5-10 minutes in the chute waiting for the start. Even chatted up with a couple of the dudes around me. Finally, the start line official announced we were about to roll out... looks at me... then, across loudspeaker most unnecessarily: "NUMBER 5232, where the **** is your helmet?"

Waaah waaaaaaaaah. Back o the bus for me. THANKS GUYS

Tickdoc
04-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Yup. I wasn’t feeling myself the other day, so grabbed the fat bike and ventured out into the great white open…

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/Meow_zpsjeebuhgi.jpg

If I only had a drone…:D

Cool. I would've just drawn penises and boobs.

Is that a castle in the background?

muz
04-08-2016, 03:41 PM
It's then that I realize I'm not wearing my helmet. I had forgotten to put it on my head. I had ridden 3+ hours without knowing.

I did that, except in the middle of a double century (Devil Mountain Double, 20K feet of climbing). Rolled to lunch stop, set my helmet down at the table instead of clipping to my handlebars. Hot sandwiches were coming up slowly and I got frustrated and left in a hurry. Passed and got passed by other riders, chatted at the next rest stop, nobody said anything. Got to top of Mt Hamilton, got on the drops for the descent, flipped up my cap visor, my hand hit my head instead of my helmet :crap: Slowest descent ever!