PDA

View Full Version : Who Wears #1 @ The Tour?

Bill Bove
06-17-2006, 08:21 PM
So, as the only returning past winner does Ullrich automatically get to wear number one and start the prologue last? In yellow?

BBB
06-17-2006, 08:39 PM
As I understand it will be the leader of Discovery.

Grant McLean
06-17-2006, 08:58 PM
The question is, would you wear #1 if you weren't the defending champ?

g

BumbleBeeDave
06-17-2006, 09:50 PM
. . . will do so, or they will get booted. Remember last (?) year when Lance didn't want to wear the jersey out of respect for somebody or the other? Officials told him to put it on or he would be disqualified. So he put it on . . .

BBD

ColdRider
06-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. So please, be gentle =)

BBB, LA was forced to wear the yellow jersey after Dave Z's crash in the TTT last year. He did not want to get the jersey from a crash. Officials saw it otherwise. He tried to cover it up during the stage with a windbreaker tho!

So, it wasn't about the number tho, but the yellow jersey.

-CR

Dekonick
06-17-2006, 10:48 PM
Sandy wears #1 - didn't yall know?

Sandy
06-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Sandy wears #1 - didn't yall know?

You missed by one. Sandy wears #0. :rolleyes:

Sandy

SoCalSteve
06-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster. So please, be gentle =)

BBB, LA was forced to wear the yellow jersey after Dave Z's crash in the TTT last year. He did not want to get the jersey from a crash. Officials saw it otherwise. He tried to cover it up during the stage with a windbreaker tho!

So, it wasn't about the number tho, but the yellow jersey.

-CR

Welcome!

For the most part, we are a gentle bunch. Except that ATMO guy...Gotta watch out for him...Oh yeah, Obtuse too....Wait, Sandy and Kevan as well...Smiley is OK though....Tom Byrnes on the other hand, tread lightly. And a few others.....

Steve

PS: This Forum is 1/2 about joking around, 1/2 about acronyms and 1/2 about cycling. (you do the math).

Sandy
06-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Kevan wears # -1.

obtuse
06-17-2006, 10:55 PM
eleventeen.

it's actually bruyneel's call and if there is any justice in this world he'd let ekimov wear it; especially since some doper stole his gold medal.

obtuse

Kevan
06-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Kevan wears # -1.

than -2. Least, I think Lance would agree.

BdaGhisallo
06-18-2006, 05:02 AM
If past practise is any guide then the nominal leader of the team of the absent defending champion will wear it. This means that it is basically up to Bruyneel, since whoever he nominates as team leader will get the number 1 bib.

In 1987, when LeMond wasn't there to defend, Jean Francois Bernard wore number one as the leader of LeMond's team, La Vie Claire.

Bill Bove
06-18-2006, 05:41 AM
Was there a past winner in the 1987 race?

classic1
06-18-2006, 06:11 AM
Was there a past winner in the 1987 race?

Fignon.

BdaGhisallo
06-18-2006, 08:08 AM
As was said, there was a past winner in the 87 Tour, in the form of Fignon and I think even Zoetemelk, the 80 champ, was in the race that year.

However, just to be clear, it is only the immediate defending champ that gets the privilege of an automatic assignment of the number 1 bib.

edit: Just remembered also that should the defending champ not be entered, the no 1 bib goes to the leader on the team he was a part of when he won. I recall that in the 88 Tour Urs Zimmerman wore the no 1 bib, being the leader of the Carrera team on which Roche won the Tour the previous year. This was despite the fact that Roche was no longer a part of that team, having followed the money to the spanish Fagor team - not that you could blame him. With his phenomenal triple in 87, he had to make hay while the sun shone!

Dave B
06-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Typically if the current champ does not return it goes to the director sportiff to choose, if he does not choose, it goes to the rider with alphebetical advantage on the team. Azevado is my guess.

Eki getting it would be a sweet choice, but if they are labeling George as team leader he may be given it for a psychological advantage.

Bill Bove
06-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Fignon.
Larry Fignewton, the Rodney Dangerfield of the TdF :crap: Two time winner and all anybody remembers about the guy are those eight seconds...

classic1
06-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Larry Fignewton, the Rodney Dangerfield of the TdF :crap: Two time winner and all anybody remembers about the guy are those eight seconds...

The only thing Americans remember about the guy are those eight seconds. ;)

ergott
06-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Giving the 1 to Georgie would be setting him up for a disaster. He doesn't need that kind of pressure. Give it to il Falco. At least he's won a couple of tours (Giros). Let Pop and Hincap. ride without the pressure. Eckie wouldn't take the jersey.

Russell
06-19-2006, 12:08 PM
maybe they should retire it, since they hate everything about lance

flydhest
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
The only thing Americans remember about the guy are those eight seconds. ;)

nope, I remember his bad hair as well.

72gmc
06-19-2006, 12:41 PM
nope, I remember his bad hair as well.

Beat me to it. He may have been the inspiration for Dr. Emmett Brown in Back to the Future.

zeroking17
06-19-2006, 01:01 PM

Fignon was cool. I thought that Fignon was one of the most interesting riders of his generation. He was talented, proud, and petulant--all of which gave him a certain charisma that I appreciated. His blond pony tail and wire-rimmed glasses were infinitely more stylish than the buzzcuts and bug-eyed goggles of so many of today's riders.

Marcusaurelius
06-19-2006, 01:43 PM
As someone already wrote, I'd say it would go to Salvodelli but I rather say it on Ekimov for his many years of loyal service.

bigdeal
06-19-2006, 01:54 PM
maybe they should retire it, since they hate everything about lance

that's laugh-out-loud-funny, nice one! I'm fairly certain Lance borrowed this page (not taking the yellow from a crash) from The Cannibal's book, he wouldn't wear it after the Maillot crashed out on a decent......can't remember the guy's name at the moment but he was a bad*ss.

If anyone subscribes to Cycle Sport and keeps the back issues, there was an article about how this is figured out. I think the CS folks researched it a bit and layed out how this has been done in years past.

Ocana, that was his name!