PDA

View Full Version : So what did you do with your old magazines?

Veloo
04-06-2016, 08:31 PM
Recycling bin?
Goodwill/ Valu Village?

Got two paper boxes full of old mags from the 90s.
Winning, Bicycling, Velo, VeloNews, Bicycle Guide.

I'll keep a few issues but even the local bike co-op said no thanks.

Louis
04-06-2016, 08:44 PM
I usually just toss them in the recycling bin.

To piggy-back on this thread:

If anyone wants a year or so of back issues of "Le Cycle" (French magazine on cycling) and is willing to pay the shipping, I'll send them to you for "free."

http://www.lecycle.fr/

I don't think I have the one shown below, but this is what a typical cover looks like:

http://www.loudet-acc.com/img/actualites/photosmax/couverture-le-cycle-web..jpg

bicimechanic
04-06-2016, 08:51 PM
About 10 years ago I did a big purge. I took a few huge (I mean HUGE) stacks of magazines(mostly Winning, Cyclesport and Procycling and a ton of MTB mags) to the recyclers. About 48 hours later I regretted tossing the road stuff. About two years ago a customer stopped in with a few boxes. Instantly I had all the back issues plus more of Cyclesport and Winning I tossed. I still look through them and customers borrow them all the time especially when we are building a retro bike. I still regretted tossing them originally.

fiamme red
04-06-2016, 08:51 PM
Bundle them by year and put them on eBay.

GRAVELBIKE
04-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Saved a few that contain my articles, but recycled the rest in a rather large purge.

Attachment leads to suffering, and all that...

Satellite
04-06-2016, 09:19 PM
I load more ammo in them and reuse em.:p

Oh wrong magazine:crap:

mmfs
04-06-2016, 09:44 PM
I've put 'em on Craigslist for free or a nominal amount. Done it a few times and made the receiver very happy.

MattTuck
04-06-2016, 09:57 PM
There is someone on another forum somewhere on the internet making the post, "Where can I find old issues of cycling magazines?!"

with answers like,

Check eBay

look at Craigslist, I once got a whole stack of magazines for $10!! Crazy guy was selling them.

Hang out at the local transfer station.

saab2000
04-06-2016, 10:01 PM
I recycled a large, heavy box of glossy mags about 11 years ago. Frankly, I should have kept them and scanned them all and uploaded them as they were full, full, full of great pictures and articles.

Most of them were Winning magazines from the 1980s and Miroir du Cyclisme from the 1980s as well.

They would have been an incredible resource to have uploaded to a website for reference and photos.

zmudshark
04-06-2016, 10:12 PM
I only kept one old magazine...Lemond on the cover of Winning.

CSKeller
04-06-2016, 10:14 PM
and a few other ProCycling and RBA issues. It's fun looking back at some of the older mags...Great references and nice photography.

LOVE Rouleur!! I will not toss thoses!!

54ny77
04-06-2016, 10:31 PM
i had a bunch and put an ad in classifieds (free), they were scooped up lickety split.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=168062

only requirement was that they'd have to be picked up in person and i wouldn't ship.

you might do same, lots of guys (and gals) might enjoy the read.

a pay if forward, as it were. right in the spirit of this fine forum.

Dead Man
04-06-2016, 10:35 PM
I just let em fall

https://www.all4shooters.com/en/Shooting/pistols/Heckler-Koch-VP9-9x19mm-semi-automatic-pistol-test/Heckler-Koch-VP9-drop-free-magazine.jpg?resize=930x870%3E

fignon's barber
04-07-2016, 06:44 AM
I got rid of them all when I moved 2 years ago. I had every Cyclesport and Pro cycling, as well as a bunch of Bici Sport. I thought it would be a waist to throw them in the recycle bin, that another rider could enjoy them. I put them on ebay for one cent plus actual shipping. I think the shipping was close to $100, even shipping media mail. The buyer was very happy though.

oldpotatoe
04-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Recycling bin?
Goodwill/ Valu Village?

Got two paper boxes full of old mags from the 90s.
Winning, Bicycling, Velo, VeloNews, Bicycle Guide.

I'll keep a few issues but even the local bike co-op said no thanks.

Got a retirement/managed care type place around? See if they want them.

Cicli
04-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Off maybe a little.

The hot rod guy in the next office over from me uses old car calanders.
Aparently there are only so many different combinations and every 10-11 years or so the calander days and months line up again. He always has a cool calander above his desk.

Tickdoc
04-07-2016, 07:01 AM

spoken like a true "retiree" ;~)

William
04-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Roll them up and fight with them... :D

William

oldpotatoe
04-07-2016, 07:07 AM
spoken like a true "retiree" ;~)

I have one just up the street and one across the street..I can crawl to either..:D

Tickdoc
04-07-2016, 07:50 AM
Roll them up and fight with them... :D

William

Nice, or you could stuff them down your jersey for descents:

http://test.bikenoob.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/bp31.jpg

crossjunkee
04-07-2016, 11:41 AM
Hospitals love to get them too.

JWDR
04-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Hospitals love to get them too.

I was coming to say this. I give them to the old ladies at the hospital red cross to put in waiting areas or I just drop them off in waiting areas whenever I have an appointment.

paredown
04-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Thanks--topical question for me...I've started a spring purge.

I've got almost a full run of Dwell magazine going back to their second or third issue, and a ton of Fine Homebuilding magazines as well.

The Fine Homebuilding content you can view online for a fee, or buy the DvD--but not Dwell.

I'm thinking I'll try eBay for the Dwell and see if I get any bites.

Hindmost
04-07-2016, 03:36 PM
My first purge of magazines and posters was in the 80's when I took boxes full to The Wheelsmith shop. They were happy to have them as they were known to be a "museum." It was fun to go there and in the bathroom were some of my old posters.

Well, eventually that shop was absorbed into Mike's Bikes and who knows where all the old stuff ended up. I imagine a vast government warehouse like the one at the end of Indiana Jones.

Repack Rider
04-08-2016, 08:58 AM
I own probably 2500 pounds of "old magazines." It's an enormous pile.

During the '80s I published the first mountain bike magazine, the Fat Tire Flyer. I still have every unsold copy because it was one of the most creative things I ever did, and I can't bear to discard them. Fortunately, they are now so old that they are "collectible," and I am the only source for mint condition copies. I make a few bucks selling them online. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fat-Tire-Flyer-signed-book-14-issues-of-vintage-Fat-Tire-Flyer-magazine-/231902641905?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT)

Then there is the library, virtually everything ever published about mountain biking before 1990. It occupies several file cabinets and a pile of bankers boxes in a storage locker. One PhD has been extracted from my files, when a grad student spent a week in my file room with a copier before I parked my archive in storage

I used my massive files to research my book (see tagline), but now that it is done, I am looking to digitize them and make them available to all. It is one of the most complete collections of mountain bike history on the planet, and as such it has become my burden to protect it and preserve it for the future.

carpediemracing
04-08-2016, 12:25 PM
I have most of my Winnings. I stopped keeping them at some point, I thought they'd jumped the shark, so to speak.

Ideally I'd like to scan them, for future reference. There are some gems in those magazines.

eippo1
04-08-2016, 01:51 PM
I went digital.

fiamme red
04-08-2016, 03:31 PM
There was a website called wooljersey.com to which a lot of interesting old articles from various cycling magazines were scanned. The website is gone now. Digital storage is not as permanent as we like to think.

Veloo
04-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Kinda sad to be getting rid of all this old info but I now I won't touch it for another 10 years.
9 speed Ultegra Sintesi bikes for $1699.
The fugly Mavic Mektronic levers.
The days of Ontario racing when you called the hotline for voice directions to the races.
Lord knows why I kept any old MEC catalogues.

thwart
04-11-2016, 07:47 AM

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.dreamstime.com%2Fx%2Fold-lady-reading-book-23801178.jpg&f=1

"Ohhh... that Eddy Merckx was such a hunk... "

Dave B
04-11-2016, 10:19 AM
Donate them to schools. Tax write off and we can use them. I bring in all of my car, bike, motorcycle mags for my kids and then when they are old enough give3 them to the art teachers for projects.

Again public school donations are/can be tax deductible and trust me teachers love free stuff.

I have taken all sorts of stuff, some decent most of it crap, but the kindness is still there.

carpediemracing
04-11-2016, 11:49 AM
I have most of my Winnings. I stopped keeping them at some point, I thought they'd jumped the shark, so to speak.

Ideally I'd like to scan them, for future reference. There are some gems in those magazines.

I realized something when I was thinking about "duty" and "obligation" just now. I feel I have an obligation to scan them. It's not that I want to do it, it's that I feel I have to do it. If someone else does it first then I won't.

bruin11
04-12-2016, 08:56 AM
I still have a bunch of Winning magazines. Took one from 1987 with Stephen Roche on the cover to Mallorca to have him sign. He had a chuckle looking at his younger self and even identified a picture of one of his friends who was also there at his camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

downtube
04-12-2016, 01:23 PM
For 45 years I kept every single magazine I ever purchased. There were years I would get 8 publications a month. My son and I were building new shelves in the shed when the topic of what are you going to do with all my collections when I pass away. He looked at me and not trying to be funny said , I am going to get a dumpster. At that point I knew I needed to have a major purge. My motorcycle magazines went to my friend Larry who loved to sell stuff at motorcycle swap meets. It was one of the ways he stayed in touch with all his old racing friends. I took all my sports car type magazines and gave them to Neil and his son. They have always enjoyed borrowing some of my books so they became the new owners. My hot rod stuff has been distributed to many friends, and all my National Geographic and Sunset magazines got donated to many places. I still have a few boxes of some of the special stuff, but have made my sons future a little easier. Next comes and unusual collection of model trains. It kind of never ends. The one collection that I will not part with are my vinyl records. Just could never replace. I watch those tiny home shows and while my living area could be tiny I would still need a small barn to place all the stuff I have collected. Good luck to all.

Dead Man
04-12-2016, 01:29 PM
I still have a few boxes of some of the special stuff

Yea.... I bet you do.

AngryScientist
04-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Donate them to schools. Tax write off and we can use them. I bring in all of my car, bike, motorcycle mags for my kids and then when they are old enough give3 them to the art teachers for projects.

Again public school donations are/can be tax deductible and trust me teachers love free stuff.

I have taken all sorts of stuff, some decent most of it crap, but the kindness is still there.

True! the preschool my kids go to love the national geographic mags i always give them. they are quite educational with the great photography, and they wind up making some cool stuff out of some of them.

54ny77
04-12-2016, 01:34 PM
Hilarious!

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.dreamstime.com%2Fx%2Fold-lady-reading-book-23801178.jpg&f=1

"Ohhh... that Eddy Merckx was such a hunk... "