PDA

View Full Version : Kahuna's new forums are up and running !

Blastinbob
12-18-2003, 09:01 AM
http://www.hydromedia.com/forum/

:beer:

Smiley
12-18-2003, 07:52 PM
with hosting a second Serotta forum ? Can 2 address exsist for Serotta on the net for a meeting place. Was Serotta smart to have gotten this site up and running before Gary's new site? I think I will visit Gary's new site to check up on our Calfee Carbon boys and now the have Parlee too ? Looks like this can be interesting. :banana:

dave thompson
12-18-2003, 08:15 PM
I think the 'new' "Serotta Fan Club" <http://www.bikefanclub.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?Cat=> will be welcomed by people who liked the 'old' Serotta forum. Most likely a little more free-wheeling and 'opinionated' than this official Serotta forum. I think Gary has done a gutsy thing having an unmoderated bicycle forum in the format as it is now. Hopefully it, or portions of it, will evolve into a 'great bikes forum', where wide-ranging discussions can happen.

While I really don't like bike bashing, I do like civilized free exchange of ideas even though they may be contrary to mine. Often contrarian opinions can open one's eyes to a bigger world. I think for the most part, that is what the 'old' forum was doing. Hopefully the Bicycle Fan Club can do that, and be a good learning venue.

rnhood
12-18-2003, 08:27 PM
I am not sure how to interpret the Serotta "fan club" forum on the bikefanclub site. The message from Kahuna points over to this forum as the "official" Serotta forum. I thought perhaps this may be similar to the previous hydromedia site in that Serotta's forum was an external offshoot from the main hydromedia page. And, posting activities should be confined to this "official" forum.

But I am not sure. What exactly is the purpose of the Serotta forum on the bikefanclub site?

dave thompson
12-18-2003, 08:45 PM
I think the difference between this Serotta forum and the "Serotta Fan Club" forum is that Serotta owns this forum, it is an official part of Serotta bicycles. The "Serotta Fan Club" is exactly that; an unofficial forum for people who want to discuss Serotta bicycles in any light.

Kahuna (Hydromedia) used to 'own' the old Serotta forum and it was (more or less) sanctioned by Serotta. There were problems on the old forum with trolls, posts denigrating to Serotta and other goings on that Serotta construed to be detrimental to itself, and they asked that the forum cease. From my understanding, Hydromedia helped Serotta set up this forum, and then expanded the rest of the Hydromedia bicycle forums (Calfee, Spectrum and Strong) into the Bicycle Fan Club.

This 'official' Serotta forum is not an offshoot of Hydromedia. Kahuna has merely pointed out where the official Serotta sit is.

Kahuna
12-18-2003, 09:37 PM
Folks,

The new site is located at www.bikefanclub.com (http://www.bikefanclub.com/).

I had no plans to host another Serotta forum and although I regret they're not part of my new site, one thing I definitely don't want to do is step on their feet and interfere with the good thing they have going here.

The Serotta "fan club" forum you see on the new site was only placed there for announcments related to the official forum that exists here and to direct people to the archives. That's all.

Please be aware I'm still getting a few kinks worked out on the new site. Some people have reported problems trying to start new threads. This was my bad when configuring permissions and should have all that fixed soon.

Aloha,

K.

dnovo
12-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Gary: Is there a reason that one can't register? My efforts have not gone through. I followed the procedure, was told I would get 'verification' as the process states will be received, but that has not taken place. I see that others have gotten through as there are some members listed and a few posts, but when I try to view it or post a note, I am told I have not been 'verified.'

I tried contacting you through the 'contact' button, but my emails are bouncing and my provider says they appear to be blocked at your end.

Is there a problem? I was also asked to re-post some of my photos at the site by some of the members here, but have not been able to do that either as it won't accept them.

Am I just inept or don't you want all those odd bike pictures in the Colnago, Pegoretti, or other forums ;)

Dave N.