PDA

View Full Version : Saddle similar to Brooks B17

redearedslider5
04-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Do you guys know of a non-leather saddle that's similar to the B17? Specifically, something wide and flat? Thanks!

brewsmith
04-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Have you checked out the selle anatomicas? They are my current go to saddle and I love a B17. At least as flat and wide and they don't have leather hanging down to chafe the thighs.

redearedslider5
04-06-2016, 03:09 PM
yup, had one and hated it honestly, too slouchy if that makes sense. i'm also looking to get away from the leather if possible.

marknreimer
04-06-2016, 03:17 PM
Not to state the obvious but have you tried the Cambium? It was designed specifically to mimic the B17 but not be leather.

I have two B17's - a regular and a Special. The C17 has a very similar fit to the leather saddles. Wide, flat, nice support. I wouldn't say it's as comfortable, personally, but is by FAR a better saddle than any other non-leather saddle I have tried. I could ride it for hours in regular shorts. Recommended.

dawgie
04-06-2016, 03:30 PM
In addition to the Brooks C17 Cambium, the Fizik Vitesse is a worthy substitute. I picked up a Vitesse in a trade and it fit me so well that I eventually installed them on all of my bikes. I previously had been using B17s. The Vitesse is shaped very similar to a broken in B17 or a new C17, except a little narrower. I think it runs about 16 cm wide. The titanium rail version weighs only about 250 grams, half the weight of a B17.

redearedslider5
04-06-2016, 03:41 PM
I haven't tried the C17 but to my eye, there's a pretty substantial curvature through the middle there. I have problems with the Selle Flite and the C17 struck me as similar so I nixed it, am I wrong to do so? Is the Fizik Vitesse a women's saddle? Not that I have any hangups if something's advertised as a woman's saddle, just want to make sure I'm finding the right one.

tumbler
04-06-2016, 03:47 PM
I haven't tried the C17 but to my eye, there's a pretty substantial curvature through the middle there. I have problems with the Selle Flite and the C17 struck me as similar so I nixed it, am I wrong to do so? Is the Fizik Vitesse a women's saddle? Not that I have any hangups if something's advertised as a woman's saddle, just want to make sure I'm finding the right one.

There is definitely a curve on the C17. I just received mine yesterday. It was too late for a proper ride, but my initial reaction after mounting and sitting down was that the curve felt a bit much and may not work for me. I usually ride a Selle Anatomica, which works very well, but looks awful and has started to rattle a bit, which is why I decided to give the C17 (carved) a shot.

notoriousdjw
04-06-2016, 03:50 PM
I love B17s but use C17s for the rainy season and single day rides. Multi-day rides are still the domain of the B17.

marknreimer
04-06-2016, 04:01 PM

I never noticed a curvature on mine. It feels quite flat. The smaller 15/13 seem like they'd wedge themselves right up in there though.

Ken Robb
04-06-2016, 04:08 PM
I have a couple of WTB saddles thatcame on mountain bikes but are comfy for my on road bikes as well. I don't remember the model number/name.

CNY rider
04-06-2016, 06:42 PM
How about trying a Terry Fly?
It's a men's saddle.
I ride mostly Brooks Team Pro and have two bikes with Ti Fly on them.......I find them very comfortable.

dawgie
04-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Is the Fizik Vitesse a women's saddle? Not that I have any hangups if something's advertised as a woman's saddle, just want to make sure I'm finding the right one.

Fizik markets the Vitesse as a "unisex" saddle in Europe but as a women's saddle in the US. Why? Beats me. It is shaped exactly like the Aliante but 1-2 cm wider. I previously owned an Aliante but it was too narrow for me and my sit bones were off the edges. The Vitesse fits me perfect and is actually more comfortable for me than a B17. Without putting a measuring tape to them, I doubt if most people would even notice the difference between and Aliante and a Vitesse.

BTW, you can often buy used or take-off Vitesse saddles on eBay for very little money. I've got about 6 of them and most I've paid is about $30, and some of them I bought for less than $10.

redearedslider5
04-07-2016, 09:04 AM
funny, turns out i have a vitesse sitting in my closet from a bike i previously stripped