PDA

View Full Version : rim recommendation

dbh
04-06-2016, 11:58 AM
The snow, salt and grit from this recent snowstorm in Boston finally killed the clincher rims on my commuter. They're laced to a pair of Dura Ace 7400 hubs. Hoping to reuse the hubs (32/32) and lace them to something sturdy and affordable. I normally ride 32mm Paselas FWIW. Rims just need to be available in silver. Weight isn't really an issue seeing how the bike has permanently installed fenders and front/rear racks. Any recs?

Black Dog
04-06-2016, 12:23 PM
The snow, salt and grit from this recent snowstorm in Boston finally killed the clincher rims on my commuter. They're laced to a pair of Dura Ace 7400 hubs. Hoping to reuse the hubs (32/32) and lace them to something sturdy and affordable. I normally ride 32mm Paselas FWIW. Rims just need to be available in silver. Weight isn't really an issue seeing how the bike has permanently installed fenders and front/rear racks. Any recs?

Ohh. Silver H+Son TB14.

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/HPlusSons-TB14-04.jpg

jtbadge
04-06-2016, 12:36 PM
Ohh. Silver H+Son TB14.

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/HPlusSons-TB14-04.jpg

Yes.

staggerwing
04-06-2016, 01:07 PM
The TB14's are very nicely finished. Just laced are pair to a set of early White Industry hubs.

However, if you are a true "cheap @ss" like me, you might try to find a rim with the same ERD as your current and reuse the spokes. Easy to lace a wheel this way too. Just tape the new rim to the old in a couple of places, and transfer over one spoke at time.

Some find this practice questionable, but unless the spoke has damage, there is little to risk. Spokes do not experience plastic deformation under normal use. If they did, wheels would lose spoke tension over their normal operational life.

However, do use fresh nipples.

marknreimer
04-06-2016, 03:21 PM
I rode TB14's on a commuter for a while, the black versions. Laced 32, 3X with DT Rev spokes to Phil hubs. They looked kick ass, but didn't handle the pot holes very well. I do my best to avoid them and 'ride light' so to speak, but my rear was dead in a year. I replaced them with archetypes and they've been way better.

For a budget silver rim though I'd look at the Mavic Open Sport. Sure it's not super hot, but it's cheap, silver, and strong.

Mr_Gimby
04-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Sun Rhyno Lite. $40 for a rim you can kick the snot out of and not really phase it. Will def hold a 32mm tire nicely, and give you a good air volume to boot. Plus silver, and has eyelets. Whats not to love?

berserk87
04-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Sun Rhyno Lite. $40 for a rim you can kick the snot out of and not really phase it. Will def hold a 32mm tire nicely, and give you a good air volume to boot. Plus silver, and has eyelets. Whats not to love?

And I just learned something today. I was not aware that the Ryhno Lite came in a road version.

oldpotatoe
04-06-2016, 05:25 PM

Define 'affordable' and shiny silver or just 'silver'?
Sun, Velocity, H+Son....

thirdgenbird
04-06-2016, 05:33 PM
I cannot speak to the tb14, by my experainces with the finish on most polished rims isn't good. They typically scratch very easily. Not something I would select for a bike that sees sand and salt. I would select satin silver rim from old potato's list.