PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay vs......

oldguy00
04-06-2016, 07:45 AM
Hi all, very long time user of speedplay zeros here.....At least 10 years I think.
I have some pelvic asymmetry issues which cause my feet to rotate a bit, and I've always found that the smooth rotation of the speedplays works well for me.

That said, after this long, just wondering if anyone else has made the change from speedplay to another system, that allows for a similar type of float? Does it exist? I've never been a fan of the Look or Shimano cleats, I don't find the rotation feels free.....its there, but almost have to try to move your feet, they don't float free....

Just wondering what else is out there.

Thx!

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 07:53 AM
I also use Zeros because I need float, especially for my right foot which splays out. I have Crank Brothers Eggbeaters on my 2nd bike. The float is a little less predictable but I have no issues when riding for hours on them.

rhump
04-06-2016, 07:55 AM
I also use Speedplay Zeros on my road bikes and if I was to move to something else I would take a hard look at what Time has to offer.

I have their ATAC pedals on both of my mountain bikes and I like them a lot. Just my two cents.

Rob

oldguy00
04-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Thanks. One of the only things I don't like about speedplays is I find I have to replace them yearly. I find that both the cleats and the body wears out just a little bit, causing side to side rocking. I never bother buying replacement cleats and rebuild kits, etc., since it is almost as cheap just to buy a new pair from the UK, and sell off the old ones as used on the bay.

avalonracing
04-06-2016, 07:58 AM
I used Speedplay for a decade and loved the float. (The few times that I tried SPD-SL before that I had a bit of knee pain).

That said, last year I started to get a little bit of "hot foot" on the Speedplays. I tried SPD-SLs again and wow, it felt different. First off I was buying into that "big platform" on the Speedplays as you are using the cleat instead of the pedals. I now call BS on that because compared to the Shimanos the Speedplays feel like I was riding on lollipops (even with my carbon sole shoes). Secondly I felt so much more attached to the bike on the upstroke.

As for knee pain, I just made, REALLY sure that each pedal was in the most neutral spot for me. Is there the float that the Speedplay has, no way. But if you are really careful about cleat setting they may work.

note-I switched pedals on three bikes and four pair of shoes so I was really sold after trying the switch

oldguy00
04-06-2016, 08:00 AM
I used Speedplay for a decade and loved the float. (The few times that I tried SPD-SL before that I had a bit of knee pain).

That said, last year I started to get a little bit of "hot foot" on the Speedplays. I tried SPD-SLs again and wow, it felt different. First off I was buying into that "big platform" on the Speedplays as you are using the cleat instead of the pedals. I now call BS on that because compared to the Shimanos the Speedplays feel like I was riding on lollipops (even with my carbon sole shoes). Secondly I felt so much more attached to the bike on the upstroke.

As for knee pain, I just made, REALLY sure that each pedal was in the most neutral spot for me. Is there the float that the Speedplay has, no way. But if you are really careful about cleat setting they may work.

Interesting about the hot spot. I wonder if the cleats/pedals were worn out and maybe causing some rocking? With carbon soles, i didn't think any pedal system would really cause hot spots if properly clipped in and no play.

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Thanks. One of the only things I don't like about speedplays is I find I have to replace them yearly. I find that both the cleats and the body wears out just a little bit, causing side to side rocking. I never bother buying replacement cleats and rebuild kits, etc., since it is almost as cheap just to buy a new pair from the UK, and sell off the old ones as used on the bay.

If you take good care of your Zeros the bodies should last at least three years. I rebuilt my Ti's last year for $90. New bodies and bearings. Cleats last me two years, less if it's an ugly spring.

I do get what you mean about the Zero float being "free". The Eggbeater float is spring loaded, so there is a little bit of resistance.

oldguy00
04-06-2016, 08:07 AM
If you take good care of your Zeros the bodies should last at least three years. I rebuilt my Ti's last year for $90. New bodies and bearings. Cleats last me two years, less if it's an ugly spring.

I agree that the bodies last longer than the cleats, but I am impressed that you are getting two years on your cleats! If I didn't mind the rocking, I could make them last years, but I find one Summer, and one winter of 6 hours per week on the trainer, the cleats develop noticeable rocking.

I just use the stainless models. If I were using the more expensive ti versions, I might be more inclined to rebuild rather than replace! :) I can get the stainless version, with a new set of cleats (obviously....) for about $145 Canadian (about 110 US?) from PBK...

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Do you lube the cleat spring? It makes a difference.

oldguy00
04-06-2016, 08:14 AM
Do you lube the cleat spring? It makes a difference.

Maybe.................. :)
Not very often. Probably a few times a year when I disassemble the cleat to clean it up. Would that be causing them to wear a lot quicker?
I mostly do triathlons now, which means my bikes mostly see race day, and indoor trainer. Not much dirt getting on them.

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Speedplays for triathlons? Long transitions must be interesting :).

I was primarily a criterium racer where stomp and go was mandatory if lined up on the front. I'd lube the cleats the night before. Every week. The Speedplay lube is both a solvent and a lubricant so I think it helps them last longer.

oldguy00
04-06-2016, 08:29 AM
I've gotten used to running on the cleats!
It is mostly the bigger events like Ironman where the run with the bike is of any distance, but usually no more than 100 yards. I find I can go fast enough that it isn't worth it for me to have my shoes pre-attached to the pedals and then have to fumble with getting my feet in after mounting the bike. And in a full IM, which is about 12 hours for me, a few seconds lost 'jogging' on the cleats is no big deal... :)

Elefantino
04-06-2016, 09:26 AM
My cleats last years. I currently rotate between two pairs of shoes and use KeepOn Kovers. I have one pair of cleats that was new in the spring of 2013. Works and looks like new.

crossjunkee
04-06-2016, 09:55 AM
I just switched to the Look Keo Blade 2 from Speedplay after 15 plus years. I also switched from Sidi's (Speedplay specific) to the new S-Works 6 shoe. So far I couldn't be happier with the combo! The platform of the Look Keo Blade 2 compared to Speedplay is night and day. Where I notice the most difference is on longer climbs. I like how stable the Looks feel.

I also paid for a quality bike fit at CU Sports Medicine to make sure I was OK with Look vs Speedplay.

Not really anything new for you because you don't like Look cleats, but so far so good for me!

Raffy
04-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Went from Speedplay with Stage PM to Garmin Vector 2 which is essentially a Look-type pedal. I gotta admit, I'm tempted to switch back to the Speedplays despite losing the 2-sided power measurement I get from the Vectors. They simply don't feel the same but to be fair (I'm not digging float on the Vectors), I am still trying to dial in the correct cleat position.

Having said that, if someone offers me a fair price on the Vectors, that might just push me over the top to switch back.

Pastashop
04-06-2016, 10:46 AM
I've used Speedplay, Look, Time Equipe, Time Impact, Time ATAC, Shimano SPD, Keywin, Toe-clips & straps...

Honestly, I really liked Time Equipe as a completely bulletproof-last-a-lifetime system, but not all shoes were compatible with it. Toe-clips, Look, and Shimano SPD have been the best for me on balance, in large part due to the adjustability of the cleat position – I mean the angle at which the foot would point in its neutral position (toe in vs. toe out). This dramatically reduced my need for float to get the biomechanics right.

Now, Speedplay Zero's cleat adjustability is actually pretty good – probably better than all the others', and you can adjust the cleat to reduce the float substantially if desired, but the pedal body would wear down over time, allowing for a rocking motion that was too unstable for my taste.

oldguy00
04-06-2016, 10:55 AM
I've used Speedplay, Look, Time Equipe, Time Impact, Time ATAC, Shimano SPD, Keywin, Toe-clips & straps...

Honestly, I really liked Time Equipe as a completely bulletproof-last-a-lifetime system, but not all shoes were compatible with it. Toe-clips, Look, and Shimano SPD have been the best for me on balance, in large part due to the adjustability of the cleat position – I mean the angle at which the foot would point in its neutral position (toe in vs. toe out). This dramatically reduced my need for float to get the biomechanics right.

Now, Speedplay Zero's cleat adjustability is actually pretty good – probably better than all the others', and you can adjust the cleat to reduce the float substantially if desired, but the pedal body would wear down over time, allowing for a rocking motion that was too unstable for my taste.

I used to love the original Time Equipe pedals as used by the pros in the late 80's early 90's. Very cool looking. I saw a NOS pair of equip magnesiums on ebay a while back, was so tempted to buy them for a future retro build...

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 11:12 AM
My cleats last years. I currently rotate between two pairs of shoes and use KeepOn Kovers. I have one pair of cleats that was new in the spring of 2013. Works and looks like new.

Right, but you live in California. It's the road grit that kills them.

GRAVELBIKE
04-06-2016, 11:12 AM
I rode Speedplay pedals almost exclusively for many years (Frogs and various road models). Last year I came to the conclusion that I wanted road power transfer and stability with the ability to walk (on dirt/gravel) comfortably, which lead me to their SYZR model (http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=5480). I've been using SYZRs for nearly nine months, and couldn't be happier. And now that I have the right shoes, I'm able to use the same setup for everything short of technical off-road use (I still prefer Crank Bros Candys for that).

Elefantino
04-06-2016, 11:31 AM
Right, but you live in California. It's the road grit that kills them.
Here in California we neither clean nor repair our roads. Our roads suck.

marknreimer
04-06-2016, 03:42 PM
Speedplay has always been the best road cleat for me as well. I've tried Shimano, Look, nothing was as good. I've always found them a BEAR to clip into though. I remember my first crit I raced... I was nervous so I went into the bush to take a piss, walking through some sandy ground. When the whistle blew I couldn't get my feet to clip in till about 1km later. By that time, my race was over LOL.

Keith A
04-06-2016, 03:58 PM
Thanks. One of the only things I don't like about speedplays is I find I have to replace them yearly. I find that both the cleats and the body wears out just a little bit, causing side to side rocking. I never bother buying replacement cleats and rebuild kits, etc., since it is almost as cheap just to buy a new pair from the UK, and sell off the old ones as used on the bay.Several years ago, I was deciding on Zeros or Shimano SPD-SL's and tested them both extensively and went with the Zeros. However, I ended up with the exact side-to-side rocking that you are talking about, which I really didn't like. So I dropped the Zero's and went for the SPD-SL's and I couldn't be happier. I do think the larger pedal platform feels better -- at least to me. The float is certainly more limited and not as free as the Zero's, but I didn't have a problem dialing in SPD-SL's...and have never looked back.

tlittlefield
04-06-2016, 04:27 PM
I used to ride Speedplays and did for ten years or so. Then one day when my bike was in the shop and the tech pointed out that my pedal spindle right next to the pedal had a score line around it.

Evidently the outside of the cleat was touching the spindle and for every rotation would continually make a fine score in it. And I did replace the cleats every season.

From that point on I considered it a safety hazard with a possible weakening of the pedal spindle.

Riding Time now...

weisan
04-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Used to ride Speedplay before switching over to SPD-SL completely about 8 years ago under the advice of Dr. Andy Pruitt during our fit session. For my situation with pelvic asymmetry and back issues, rather than using float to compensate, Dr Pruitt recommended a more stable platform and that sought to reduce the rocking movements.

ptourkin
04-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Here in California we neither clean nor repair our roads. Our roads suck.

Truth.

BdaGhisallo
04-06-2016, 05:05 PM
In my thirty years of cycling, I've experimented with every type of major clipless pedal except Campy's Profit pedals. If you want to replicate the feel of the Speedplay float sensation, Keywins are what you want. The caveat is that they are limited to 6 degrees of float but that float can be made to be very free, and there is no re-centering force.

The other upsides with Keywin are fantastic stability because the cleat to pedal interface is huge, low maintenance costs, cleats that last forever because the parts of it that interface with the pedal don't touch the ground when you walk, and no rocking whatsoever. And, like speedplay, they come in a myriad of different spindle lengths.

They can be had on the Bay for as little as a hundred bucks so you won't lose much by trying a pair.