PDA

View Full Version : Mods: Ban Distracted Riding Pics?

nm87710
04-05-2016, 06:35 PM
Hey Mods,

Everyday PL members post pictures captured while riding their bike. Not while stopped or via a GoPro, but pictures taken via a cell phone while actually riding a bike. We've all seen riders do it on group rides. While driving a car I've even seen solo riders take selfies while pedaling :crap:. The process goes something like this: reach back, take out phone, unlock it, open the camera app, take pictures, put the camera back in the jersey pocket.

It seems fun and harmless. We all enjoy the seeing pics. Yet for me this is no different than watching a car driver taking pictures, talking on the phone or texting while driving. It's all unsafe and distracted driving. The only difference is the type of vehicle. The distracted behavior and unfortunate consequences are the same no matter the vehicle - car, bike, boat, motorcycle, skate board and as we all know, just plain walking.

Maybe it's time for the forum to take a stand against distracted riding and ban the posting of these photos rather than celebrating them and reinforcing the distracted behavior...

nmrt
04-05-2016, 06:37 PM
how about ban pics of riders riding without helmets?

Dead Man
04-05-2016, 06:41 PM
Hey Mods,

Everyday PL members post pictures captured while riding their bike. Not while stopped or via a GoPro, but pictures taken via a cell phone while actually riding a bike. We've all seen riders do it on group rides. While driving a car I've even seen solo riders take selfies while pedaling :crap:. The process goes something like this: reach back, take out phone, unlock it, open the camera app, take pictures, put the camera back in the jersey pocket.

It seems fun and harmless. We all enjoy the seeing pics. Yet for me this is no different than watching a car driver taking pictures, talking on the phone or texting while driving. It's all unsafe and distracted driving. The only difference is the type of vehicle. The distracted behavior and unfortunate consequences are the same no matter the vehicle - car, bike, boat, motorcycle, skate board and as we all know, just plain walking.

Maybe it's time for the forum to take a stand against distracted riding and ban the posting of these photos rather than celebrating them and reinforcing the distracted behavior...

how about ban pics of riders riding without helmets?

Can we just ban these two hall monitors instead?

By far the lamest crap I've ever seen posted.... maybe anywhere.

Cicli
04-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Hey Mods,

April fools was a few days ago. This is funny anyway.

AngryScientist
04-05-2016, 06:50 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/400x/37287023.jpg

gone
04-05-2016, 06:55 PM
This is the dumbest thread that's been started in quite a while. And that's saying something!

nmrt
04-05-2016, 06:59 PM
or better yet, REALLY ban pics from riders not wearing a helmet AND taking pics at the same time.

Cicli
04-05-2016, 07:02 PM

oldpotatoe
04-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Maybe a poll first, to see how we feel? Censorship is never a good thing nor is somebody deciding which post I can open.

Black Dog
04-05-2016, 07:05 PM
3500 kilograms of high speed distracted metal versus 9 kilograms of low speed metal and 80 kilograms of flesh. Big differences here especially if the rider is on a road without cars. Distracted driving is a scourge and just as deadly as DUI. This, not so much. Narcissistic selfie culture will be our end but this is not its path. :cool:

sw3759
04-05-2016, 07:06 PM
the op sounds serious enough i guess.i'd be pretty shocked if that actually happened here.are there really that many being posted? if folks are foolhardy enough to do that in a dangerous situation on their bike we cant stop them and its their business.agree though would be kind of like banning folks here that don't wear a helmet?imo its your choice,you wear one,great.if not,thats ok too.quite unlike someone in a 2 ton plus auto that when they screw up they kill and maim others.
no,i've never taken a selfie.on or off the bike.not sure if should be proud or ashamed of that

Dead Man
04-05-2016, 07:09 PM
or better yet, REALLY ban pics from riders not wearing a helmet AND taking pics at the same time.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/945849_224459334563998_7680204974026780922_n.jpg?o h=970f6e8d5f13447b74ef8676a9d7e03f&oe=5771D39C

Black Dog
04-05-2016, 07:11 PM
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/945849_224459334563998_7680204974026780922_n.jpg?o h=970f6e8d5f13447b74ef8676a9d7e03f&oe=5771D39C

The Paceline cap is a nice touch. Lol. :D

Louis
04-05-2016, 07:14 PM
How about if we also ban distracted posting?

Cicli
04-05-2016, 07:16 PM
Or ban banning things?

93legendti
04-05-2016, 07:19 PM
I am more concerned about Classified ads selling used tires.

false_Aest
04-05-2016, 07:27 PM
I'm more concerned about pictures of overweight males in lycra trying to look cool.

I'm even more concerned about pictures of bikes that have flames painted on them.

I'm even more concerneder about pictures of groups of overweight males in lycra gathered around bicycles with flames painted on them.

http://orig09.deviantart.net/63de/f/2008/073/8/8/buckethead_with_eye_lights_by_ripplin.jpg

pbarry
04-05-2016, 07:28 PM
Or ban banning things?

Nailed it.

AngryScientist
04-05-2016, 07:35 PM
another MAJOR problem is scenery. i personally only ride my bicycle, or walk on the most boring of roads. if the scenery tempts me to look around at the world, i stop. dismount the bicycle safely, stop chewing my gum and allow myself a moment to look at the vista. once i was so excited, i was almost tempted to drink from my water bottle while looking at a mountain. i could have died.

roads like this:

http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/tour_de_france/2012/07/19/tour_de_france_calories_are_key_for_riders_to_avoi d_bonking_in_the_mountain_stages/tour_defrance.jpeg

lead to this:

http://roadbikeaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/bettiniphoto_0214500_1_full-750x400.jpg

ColonelJLloyd
04-05-2016, 07:42 PM
+1
https://media.giphy.com/media/iMkJZ0PIKPZv2/giphy.gif

Louis
another MAJOR problem is scenery. i personally only ride my bicycle, or walk on the most boring of roads.

Agreed. I see only two possible solutions to this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tLH26tpbMm0/Tx3Ss-XJStI/AAAAAAAAAns/anmvNTQhZh0/s1600/bike+trainer.jpg

http://commongoodvt.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/03/horse-blinders1.jpg

Mzilliox
we should just ban pictures in general...

that way i could stop buying bikes

AngryScientist
04-05-2016, 07:45 PM
good thought Louis. riding outside IS dangerous.

that's it - no more pictures of bicycles outside. too many distractions. too dangerous.

AngryScientist
04-05-2016, 07:46 PM
i better brew some coffee. i'm going to be up all night censoring content and banning people.

donevwil
04-05-2016, 08:17 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tLH26tpbMm0/Tx3Ss-XJStI/AAAAAAAAAns/anmvNTQhZh0/s1600/bike+trainer.jpg

Thanks for reminding me, I want indoor trainers banned !

54ny77
04-05-2016, 09:03 PM
that dude is seriously one of the strangest yet among the short list of incredibly gifted--or at least unique-guitarists.

http://orig09.deviantart.net/63de/f/2008/073/8/8/buckethead_with_eye_lights_by_ripplin.jpg

bigbill
04-05-2016, 09:10 PM
I use a waterproof point and shoot camera. Not my phone. Am I excused?

zmudshark
04-05-2016, 09:34 PM
I use a waterproof point and shoot camera. Not my phone. Am I excused?Only if you have the rattlesnake picture from last year. No one was moving except the snake and the guy who thought he was peeing in private 🍻

seanile
04-05-2016, 09:39 PM
whos tried duct taping a selfie stick to their stem yet? ya know..for safety

Peter P.
04-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Sorry to be the contrarian, but I'm inclined to side with the OP. Until they mentioned it, it never occurred to me that cyclists would do this, especially in group rides. We're no different, and no better, than car drivers.

Group or solo, I have to agree it's no different than any other form of distracted driving.

I don't think the banning of the photos because of how they were taken is reasonable, but calling out those for having taken the photo in that fashion-I've got no problem with that.

Dead Man
04-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Sorry to be the contrarian, but I'm inclined to side with the OP. Until they mentioned it, it never occurred to me that cyclists would do this, especially in group rides. We're no different, and no better, than car drivers.

Group or solo, I have to agree it's no different than any other form of distracted driving.

I don't think the banning of the photos because of how they were taken is reasonable, but calling out those for having taken the photo in that fashion-I've got no problem with that.

Then why dont you start your own campaign?

bicycletricycle
04-05-2016, 10:57 PM
I think the reduced danger to other people is acceptable.

lots of ways to be distracted on a bike. some of these distractions can endanger other cyclists and pedestrians and possibly even car drivers, but the risks from a distracted cyclist are much smaller than the risks from a distracted car driver.

taking a picture while riding close to other people is probably not a great idea but technically changing the radio station/track while driving isn't a great idea either.

no one can reduce the risks while cycling or driving to zero.

we all have our own idea of acceptable risks, society has its own standard as well.

the example of being distracted by riding in beautiful scenery is silly but also right on point, I prefer some things over safety and as long as the risks to other people are small enough (by my own judgement) then I think that is okay.

taking some pics while riding on smooth ground without too many people around seems fine to me.

PeregrineA1
04-05-2016, 10:59 PM
You mean stuff like this?
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5ilPPvv9-8CSgA8bVvC4Eo8jhfFRNqChvbKViM7kHZWvZXEECEI9Ntk1Plm d1JnLo_j_F7TeoT3zpPGRrZiOQRrd-JCp9xvPwzRhhw3fSomPHtkMWH3bz2pp-XwaeJpB6paZtnPlR2SeQVcGBbMa2xSfEgo5WDG4BaS1idtj5qa f1xxckNusWU503u_nlGretx83u4f6aiGKwQhBjAYc9XwnZwyxv zLvtdK6EEgfUZ5Zc_84-k2SBMVGw4mukv2vzABc59UpNU-x4xYTWXEdrU3613AcyHbe7b3wdF1WkyGIYkbiefNike6eUOFau ukRAg-R33EEWkeU6U-FNpJotBXIQLyF_Zmkm01M-5mfZR5AARau7Ktzkj_CiiZbyOQqq3l8sACVCB4ft0RlAmvTMsO YH5x4IVg5VYL7wUwhYrdBx_eLmX1f_I2qicKeuYpC7bGBAmZ_d eBJ0d0puPW5eTlRyaY_d2TaL04fSvZTSUmtMzcxjqhTSaTsZEe kUkJZ_TBSMKIEqJ_UAXaBkctLDgEMNreKNs2m3p54j23Vf47JE hezziGpkNvGsrxWH3IGmQsr=w1230-h923-no
The traffic was horrific....

velomonkey
04-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Thank gawd someone had the jewels between their legs to speak up to this scourge that plagues us bike riders.

Good for you - and if I can please join your chorus of disapproval - riders who dare drink and ride. W.T. Literal. F. You are operating a vehicle that weighs 17 pounds and is moving at 15 miles per hour. Two hands at ALL times!!!!! You think it's OK to remove a hand from the bars, bend your remaining arm that is attached to the one hand that is still on the bars and then reach with your removed hand and grab a water bottle that is nestled well below your seat. That, my friends, is just like texting and driving.

So selfish. Then you actually drink from the bottle and lower yourself all over again to put the bottle in place.

So dangerous.

People on bikes kill like .7 people a year. You all need to look at yourself - I think you should be ashamed. Anyone I see drinking on a ride is banned from my ride.

KJMUNC
04-05-2016, 11:09 PM
This thread has been prime entertainment on my delayed flight this evening, so thanks for that. Don't worry, no pictures or riding occurred for me though so one more Paceliner has survived to see another day.

Louis
04-05-2016, 11:27 PM
This thread has been prime entertainment on my delayed flight this evening, so thanks for that.

Better tell your pilot to keep his eyes on the sky:

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4f660c9d6bb3f7fd50000054-571-423/american%20airlines%20pilot%20ipad.jpg

joosttx
04-05-2016, 11:29 PM
Why isn't there a Chris Froome joke yet?

beeatnik
04-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Thank gawd someone had the jewels between their legs to speak up to this scourge that plagues us bike riders.

Good for you - and if I can please join your chorus of disapproval - riders who dare drink and ride. W.T. Literal. F. You are operating a vehicle that weighs 17 pounds and is moving at 15 miles per hour. Two hands at ALL times!!!!! You think it's OK to remove a hand from the bars, bend your remaining arm that is attached to the one hand that is still on the bars and then reach with your removed hand and grab a water bottle that is nestled well below your seat. That, my friends, is just like texting and driving.

So selfish. Then you actually drink from the bottle and lower yourself all over again to put the bottle in place.

So dangerous.

People on bikes kill like .7 people a year. You all need to look at yourself - I think you should be ashamed. Anyone I see drinking on a ride is banned from my ride.

Velomonkey, I like your style.

donevwil
04-06-2016, 12:28 AM
People on bikes kill like .7 people a year.

And unfortunately that's what makes it perfectly acceptable for many cyclists !

Everything is relative and yet many wonder why we come off as nothing more than a herd of elitist, self-righteous, jack-holes.

pavel
04-06-2016, 01:48 AM
is this thread real

FlashUNC
04-06-2016, 02:01 AM
I'm just glad no one rides a bike with no hands on the handlebars. That would be so unsafe.

verticaldoug
04-06-2016, 04:16 AM
We should sue the smart phone manufacturers. They invented a product that is too addictive and now we can't help ourselves. There should have been a warning on the package. I didn't see a warning about addiction, did you?
Anyone on here a lawyer? Apple is rumored to have deep pockets.

rustychisel
04-06-2016, 05:13 AM
is this thread really necessary

FFTFFY

fatally fixed that f*****r for you.

holliscx
04-06-2016, 05:21 AM
Not a hint of irony this was posted in a forum that censors bad words

oldpotatoe
04-06-2016, 05:36 AM
not a hint of irony this was posted in a forum that censors bad words

_____ _____ _______!

rugbysecondrow
04-06-2016, 05:55 AM
I understand his point and think it is just as valid and reasonable to discuss as the "in and out burger" thread. I don't 100% agree with his position, but it is disingenuous for cyclists to complain about distracted driving if they too do not practice what they preach.

I also think people can respectfully disagree with the OP, as most probably do, but there is no reason to be jerks about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMacII
04-06-2016, 06:41 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160406/5b0dbc3daa15f7adb8df857c34429ca6.jpg

velomonkey
04-06-2016, 07:43 AM
I understand his point and think it is just as valid and reasonable to discuss as the "in and out burger" thread. I don't 100% agree with his position, but it is disingenuous for cyclists to complain about distracted driving if they too do not practice what they preach.

I also think people can respectfully disagree with the OP, as most probably do, but there is no reason to be jerks about it.

Was anyone being a jerk? Not sure I saw it - and to compare selfies to texting in driving is a comparison that misses the mark by a mile. Not sure I need to get into why.

The issue with this is that it wasn't even a discussion on the topic - it was a call to BAN the output of deed. To call for a ban is a big problem, to call for a ban without a discussion is an even bigger problem.

I would give more credence to elder spud calling for a ban on pictures of bikes with SRAM.

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Or ban banning things?

I support banning bans.

bcroslin
04-06-2016, 08:01 AM
when taking selfies on rides is outlawed only outlaws will take selfies or something like that.

(btw - this forum has taken a weird turn the last few days)

makoti
04-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Better tell your pilot to keep his eyes on the sky:

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4f660c9d6bb3f7fd50000054-571-423/american%20airlines%20pilot%20ipad.jpg

That's ridiculous. Pilots don't read during the flight. They sleep.

scharny
04-06-2016, 08:08 AM
I am here to post in this important thread. Just to emphasize its importance.

malcolm
04-06-2016, 08:19 AM
I support banning bans.

I support the people that support the banning of bans. I also don't support the banning of anything so that's a dilemma.

I do see the point. I think, as has previously been mentioned it's mostly only a risk to self. I would be taken aback if someone were doing selfies in a group setting.

I was on the mid mountain trail in park city utah and had a rider approach me sitting up texting on two way single track. Now he didn't need to be banned but maybe flogged just a little

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 08:30 AM
I also support the general idea of putting the safety of everyone above selfish desires. We have this guy on our group rides that is constantly staring at his Garmin power screen. It has caused some close calls. There's no place for that in a fast paceline.

PaMtbRider
04-06-2016, 08:32 AM
I had a squirrel run out in front of me on a ride the other day. It was very distracting. I think all squirrels should be banned from the face of the earth.
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Michael Maddox
04-06-2016, 08:38 AM
I am here to post in this important thread. Just to emphasize its importance.

I am recording my presence just for posterity, once this thread is archived in the great repository of human knowledge and experience.

velomonkey
04-06-2016, 08:49 AM
It's at times like this the film Billy Madison really rings true.

"Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

flydhest
04-06-2016, 08:50 AM

Then it is disingenuous for drivers to complain about cyclists not following the rules of the road. They do not practice what they preach.

summilux
04-06-2016, 08:59 AM
I am recording my presence just for posterity, once this thread is archived in the great repository of human knowledge and experience.

And I am wheel sucking

Clydesdale
04-06-2016, 09:05 AM
The picture thing doesn't bother me but if we are banning stuff...

White shorts/bibs
Compacts on sub 17lb bikes
Bike noises on group rides
Gel seats, gloves, chamois, etc. Basically anything with Gel in it, except Gel packets - those are gross but acceptable.
MTB pedals on road bikes - (with the possible exception of rides like RAGBRAI)
Suspension Fat Bikes
Tall socks with shorts (this is probably an age thing)
And non-cycling specific but ponytails if you have grey hair and do not earn at least 50% of your income as a musician!

Lighten up Paceline - Spring is almost here.

rugbysecondrow
04-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Then it is disingenuous for drivers to complain about cyclists not following the rules of the road. They do not practice what they preach.

I agree.

josephr
04-06-2016, 09:11 AM
:beer:I support the people that support the banning of bans.

not to be left out...I support the people who support the people who support bans! :beer:

Seriously --- As an admin of a FB swap page, we see crazy stuff all the time - fake accounts, ad trolling, etc....we try to keep it a 'community' but sometimes the conversations get out of control or just seem to take over everything else. There's a difference b/t an OT post and one that's completely dysfunctional.

Mods made the right call. End of story. Should close this thread too.

Elefantino
04-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Back in the old days of the Serotta Forum, we used to ban people all the time.

It made for a healthy community.

verticaldoug
04-06-2016, 09:20 AM
I find this thread amusing. I also think some of you have pretty thin skin which seems to becoming the norm in society where there is zero tolerance and everything is viewed through a lens of micro-aggression.

Don't take yourselves so seriously.

bobswire
04-06-2016, 09:22 AM
I find this thread amusing. I also think some of you have pretty thin skin which seems to becoming the norm in society where there is zero tolerance and everything is viewed through a lens of micro-aggression.

Oh, go to hell! :D

Elefantino
04-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Oh, go to hell! :D
That's a wonderful sentiment for your 5,000th post. Geez. :D

Black Dog
04-06-2016, 09:37 AM

Not at all, I am upset that this thread did not provide me with the appropriate trigger warnings!!! ;)

You all need to check your privilege at the door.

All your base are belong to us Social Justice Warriors!

Finger snap if you agree.

;)

verticaldoug
04-06-2016, 09:39 AM
We should ask Microsoft if they can release Tay as a member of the forum. In a couple of weeks, we can see what kind of personality she morphs into. It might be really funny. . .

CAAD
04-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Eh who cares. Its one thing driving a CAR and doing that but a bicycle going a couple miles per hour eh only going to hurt yourself..... I agree wear a helmet but im guilty, when im out with friends on the junk bike i go lidless.

ANAO
04-06-2016, 09:49 AM
OP is sitting there all

http://www.relatably.com/m/img/embarrassed-memes/21f09c3590670b09ae768414530f1533192e0b0b8e91f1c42f b95a5ed2f0f042.jpg

redir
04-06-2016, 09:55 AM
that dude is seriously one of the strangest yet among the short list of incredibly gifted--or at least unique-guitarists.

No doubt he's an amazing guitarist. Ozzy wanted him to play for his band and in classic Ozzy style he asked him, "I mean, can ya just take off the fookin bucket.." And he would not do it so he didn't get the gig hahahhaa.

He's great though.

ripvanrando
04-06-2016, 11:09 AM
And people like the OP wonder why Trump is so popular.

FlashUNC
04-06-2016, 11:20 AM
I don't 100% agree with his position, but it is disingenuous for cyclists to complain about distracted driving if they too do not practice what they preach.

I have to disagree with this sentiment, solely because it removes any and all context around why distracted driving is so much more dangerous than, and I can't believe I'm about to type these words, distracted cycling. And creates, I think a false equivalency.

A distracted driver is essentially letting a 2 ton road missile do whatever it does by focusing on their phone than the job at hand. A distracted cyclist probably puts, at most, him or herself or their immediate group of riding buddies in danger.

A distracted driver, when they hit someone with their car, is probably killing or seriously maiming them. A cyclist is, most likely, just damaging him or herself.

The speeds are lower. The equipment is less massive. By every measure, the stakes are far lower for a distracted cyclist over a distracted driver.

So quite the opposite, we need to -- and should continue to push -- to hold drivers to higher standards. A distracted driving scenario carries far more disastrous consequences, so they should bear that responsibility, not hold others to the same standard when the risks are nowhere near as high.

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 11:21 AM
That's a wonderful sentiment for your 5,000th post. Geez. :D

Spare the ban hammer!!!!

ANAO
04-06-2016, 11:30 AM
I have to disagree with this sentiment, solely because it removes any and all context around why distracted driving is so much more dangerous than, and I can't believe I'm about to type these words, distracted cycling. And creates, I think a false equivalency.

A distracted driver is essentially letting a 2 ton road missile do whatever it does by focusing on their phone than the job at hand. A distracted cyclist probably puts, at most, him or herself or their immediate group of riding buddies in danger.

A distracted driver, when they hit someone with their car, is probably killing or seriously maiming them. A cyclist is, most likely, just damaging him or herself.

The speeds are lower. The equipment is less massive. By every measure, the stakes are far lower for a distracted cyclist over a distracted driver.

So quite the opposite, we need to -- and should continue to push -- to hold drivers to higher standards. A distracted driving scenario carries far more disastrous consequences, so they should bear that responsibility, not hold others to the same standard when the risks are nowhere near as high.

Yes.

Dead Man
04-06-2016, 11:51 AM

The speed is the main thing, in my opinion. Hurtling down the highway at 55, 65, 75 mph, if you take your eyes off the road long enough to read a quick text message, you can wipe out an ENTIRE peloton before you get your crap under control. On a bike, you're going a MAXIMUM of 22-25 mph, taking a picture.. because anything faster than that, and you're way too busy to be taking pics, texting, phone calling, whatever.

And yea... there's an obviously huge weight disparity between my rider/bike combined 170lbs and a car's thousands of lbs of steel.

Just doesn't even start to compare. There's more stuff I feel like adding about the perception, perspective, and intelligence of a person who can think these things are the same, but that'd just be inflammatory.. so I'll cut that bit short. :rolleyes:

AngryScientist
04-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Yet for me this is no different...The only difference is the type of vehicle. ...and unfortunate consequences are the same no matter the vehicle - car, bike, boat, motorcycle, skate board and as we all know, just plain walking.

Just doesn't even start to compare.

I don't know B. Did you see the news story about the guy who was texting on his smart phone and walked right into a school bus full of children??

oh wait, that didnt make the news, because nothing happened :hello:

ANAO
04-06-2016, 11:59 AM
I don't know B. Did you see the news story about the guy who was texting on his smart phone and walked right into a school bus full of children??

:)

FlashUNC
04-06-2016, 11:59 AM

I walked into a stop sign while reading my phone last week. Scotch may have also been involved. I'm clearly a public menace.

AngryScientist
04-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Also - I think we were trolled on this one. 6 pages! yikes!

http://wpmu.mah.se/nmict151group2/files/2015/01/8.jpg

druptight
04-06-2016, 12:02 PM
the picture thing doesn't bother me but if we are banning stuff...

Bike noises on group rides

lighten up paceline - spring is almost here.

amen.

CampyorBust
04-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Though I must admit I have posted a no handed pic once here and it also involved cider doughnuts in a plastic bag, I apologize for my momentary lapse of reason :crap:

so true...

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/PedalPusher33/funny_picdump_1152_640_25_zpssryauja3.jpg

gdw
04-06-2016, 12:22 PM
Holy double standard Batman. Sorry folks but anyone operating a vehicle on the roads while taking a selfie, talking on their cellphone, texting, eating a burger, etc. is distracted and potentially dangerous to others. The argument that you're moving slower and weigh less than a car isn't relevant, your ability to properly handle your bike is compromised.

As to bans... we don't need no more stinking bans.

zap
04-06-2016, 12:26 PM
I also support the general idea of putting the safety of everyone above selfish desires. We have this guy on our group rides that is constantly staring at his Garmin power screen. It has caused some close calls. There's no place for that in a fast paceline.

If this bloke does not listen to reason, everyone hammer into headwind while he's staring and drop him.

estilley
04-06-2016, 12:27 PM
I bunny hop an electrical cover on the new bridge here on my daily commute.

Is today the day to finally pull the selfie-while-one-handed-bunny-hopping-the-bump-helmetless?
It might be!

gdw
04-06-2016, 12:32 PM
One handed is for kids. Real cyclists can do it no handed while eating an In-N-Out burger.

Cicli
04-06-2016, 12:37 PM
One handed is for kids. Real cyclists can do it no handed while eating an In-N-Out burger.

Sans helmet? :banana:

Dead Man
04-06-2016, 12:37 PM
your ability to properly handle your bike is compromised.

So?

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 12:38 PM
If this bloke does not listen to reason, everyone hammer into headwind while he's staring and drop him.

The harder we go, the longer he stares. This group cannot drop him. I'd need some help. Besides that's not nice.

William
04-06-2016, 12:45 PM
http://imagesmtv-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Text-fall-into-fountain.gif

William

donevwil
04-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Holy double standard Batman. Sorry folks but anyone operating a vehicle on the roads while taking a selfie, talking on their cellphone, texting, eating a burger, etc. is distracted and potentially dangerous to others. The argument that you're moving slower and weigh less than a car isn't relevant, your ability to properly handle your bike is compromised.

I'd bet that most who minimize the severity or impact of distracted riding actually do the exact same thing while driving a car. Their argument then is that a 3500 lb car at 25mph is small potatoes compared to a 6000lb SUV travelling at 60. It's just part of who they are.

William
04-06-2016, 12:51 PM
http://i.giphy.com/NAlwl3HywqVsA.gif

William

William
04-06-2016, 12:54 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/022016/texting-while-biking.gif

William

rugbysecondrow
04-06-2016, 01:03 PM

How did it remove context or imply a false equivalency? One person being responsible does not impact another persons requirement to also be responsible.

Waldo
04-06-2016, 01:03 PM
To OP: Lighten up.

joosttx
04-06-2016, 01:15 PM

You are a smart fella. You sure you went to UNC??

joosttx
04-06-2016, 01:15 PM
I walked into a stop sign while reading my phone last week. Scotch may have also been involved. I'm clearly a public menace.

I take back what I just wrote:beer:

Formulasaab
04-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Just did a quick scan of my Instagram account.

20 pics/vids taken while riding. They normally include my wife and best friends, so are some of my favorite photos/videos.
13 of which show the road stretching to the horizon.
2 of which are on trails, one in the woods and one in a field.
1 of which show a car, on the horizon.

https://www.instagram.com/formulasaab/

I am such a menace. Sorry not sorry.

Dead Man
04-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Just did a quick scan of my Instagram account.

20 pics/vids taken while riding. They normally include my wife and best friends, so are some of my favorite photos/videos.
13 of which show the road stretching to the horizon.
2 of which are on trails, one in the woods and one in a field.
1 of which show a car, on the horizon.

https://www.instagram.com/formulasaab/

I am such a menace. Sorry not sorry.

Good point, though... of all my thousands of on-bike pics, I doubt very many show a ton of traffic around. I'm not doing selfies as I lane-split at rush-hour. (though that would make for a primo pic)

velomonkey
04-06-2016, 02:58 PM
I'd bet that most who minimize the severity or impact of distracted riding actually do the exact same thing while driving a car. Their argument then is that a 3500 lb car at 25mph is small potatoes compared to a 6000lb SUV travelling at 60. It's just part of who they are.

What . . . . not even the crew from the show jackass want's 3500 pounds put on them at 25mph. Sorry, I have never, ever heard that logic before . . . because no one uses it.

choke
04-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Does it count if I'm on a motorcycle?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/fzr400/visor/DSCN0562.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/fzr400/visor/DSCN0105.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/fzr400/visor/DSCN0326.jpg

Dead Man
04-06-2016, 03:00 PM

No.. I selfie at 25 or 60, whether it's my 3500lb Volvo or my 6500lb truck

Generally drunk, too (functional alcoholic)

And definitely without a helmet.

velomonkey
04-06-2016, 03:13 PM
I'm not doing selfies as I lane-split at rush-hour.

What?!? You haven't tried the yet. It's cathartic.

You simply don't know what you are missing. You must do it tonight.

Elefantino
04-06-2016, 03:54 PM
What he said.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3829042/lighten-up-francis-o.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/3829042/lighten-up-francis.html)

Black Dog
04-06-2016, 04:50 PM
Wow, I know that we take safety seriously, but a jersey, gloves and a giro lid are fine for a bicycle. :rolleyes:

Does it count if I'm on a motorcycle?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/fzr400/visor/DSCN0562.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/fzr400/visor/DSCN0105.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/fzr400/visor/DSCN0326.jpg

Frankwurst
04-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Ride your friggin' bicycles! Selfies, homies, junkies, yuppies. Who cares it's a bicycle. Freedom. Ban that!:beer:

pbarry
04-06-2016, 06:00 PM
The harder we go, the longer he stares. This group cannot drop him. I'd need some help. Besides that's not nice.

Is Froome training in western MA? :eek:

gemship
04-06-2016, 07:58 PM

Oh but it's get's better. The latest in the Pats saga is disgruntled fans suing the NFL for being labeled as cheats...apparently they feel bullied and picked on.

csm
04-06-2016, 09:12 PM
I can't believe I read the whole thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

spiderman
04-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Ride your friggin' bicycles! Selfies, homies, junkies, yuppies. Who cares it's a bicycle. Freedom. Ban that!:beer:

Let's see you top a selfie of riding your fixie with your dog on a leash at 20mph
...no handed until holding on to increase the reverse angle...
Most safe fun on two wheels ever!

spiderman
04-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Here's how much the pooch loves it

krhea
04-07-2016, 12:07 AM
#shotfromthesaddle

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2937/14201834323_805d661e82_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nCY7yt)P5130069 (https://flic.kr/p/nCY7yt) by KRhea FrzFrmFoto (https://www.flickr.com/photos/krheapvpics/), on Flickr

Louis
04-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Do you think the guys at the BMX track would have been distracted?

I say we ban girls on bikes.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c3/49/a4/c349a4b3a1669152d72e0b3febd3285a.jpg

OtayBW
04-07-2016, 03:55 AM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c3/49/a4/c349a4b3a1669152d72e0b3febd3285a.jpg
Hmmm...I say we ban BIKES!

FlashUNC
04-07-2016, 04:00 AM
How did it remove context or imply a false equivalency? One person being responsible does not impact another persons requirement to also be responsible.

You're saying both are the same and people should be held to the same standard of responsibility. It isn't an abdication by cyclists to be held to a lesser standard as someone driving a car. There's degrees of responsibility, not some uniform standard that doesn't take into account factors like pedaling a 15lb bike versus driving a 200hp, 2 ton family car.

marciero
04-07-2016, 04:39 AM
Or ban banning things?

...and references to Bertrand Russel...

oldpotatoe
04-07-2016, 06:25 AM

When I worked in Morgul-Bismark, 'Big Ring Bill' came is with his busted Serotta Legend. Besides ALWAYS riding in big ring, new power meter(early 90s), drove into the back of a parked car on the diagonal staring at the thing. New top tube and down tube-$900..in 1993 or so. True story.

oldpotatoe
04-07-2016, 06:27 AM

What bike??

Maybe I'll get banned? This is on their website, that old, traditional Brit saddle company.

cadence90
04-07-2016, 06:32 AM

You really need to stop looking at all those Sagan pics....

velomonkey
04-07-2016, 06:33 AM
You're saying both are the same and people should be held to the same standard of responsibility. It isn't an abdication by cyclists to be held to a lesser standard as someone driving a car. There's degrees of responsibility, not some uniform standard that doesn't take into account factors like pedaling a 15lb bike versus driving a 200hp, 2 ton family car.

True dat - Flash.

Tell you what - I won't walk up to you and shoot you in the eye with my pea shooter. Please watch with that fully loaded M60 machine gun.

rugbysecondrow
04-07-2016, 08:18 AM

Nowhere did I say that, you attributed that to me as a way to bolster your position.

Many cyclists seem to want all the freedom to use the road as they desire, but also all the protection to allow them to function however they see fit. I view it differently. When you choose to operate in traffic, you are choosing to be part of a greater body, it is no longer about you. When we choose to participate in traffic, it is less about our individual desires but rather the needs of the whole (traffic). Selfies, texting, scenery shots etc are selfish activities which detract from the responsibility we have to participate in with traffic in a meaningful way. A cyclist acting selfish or with no regard for the traffic around them can impact traffic, causing those larger vehicles to act in a less safe and predictable way.

This isn't an "Us vs Them" argument, it is a position advocating for the "We", that being all participants in traffic.

Frankwurst
04-07-2016, 08:48 AM
What bike??

Maybe I'll get banned? This is on their website, that old, traditional Brit saddle company.

I can't help but notice that the saddle doesn't appear to be a woman's specific Brooks.

zap
04-07-2016, 08:53 AM

What is he watching? Porn?

Life is too short to have some jackass endanger the group.