PDA

View Full Version : Anybody spring for one of these...?

madsciencenow
04-05-2016, 02:08 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/bed9f83dc64c7b52694c6e771f55b33f.jpg

Interesting and cool looking GPS. Little bit pricey, IMHO.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omata/omata-one-analog-gps-speedometer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ptourkin
04-05-2016, 02:16 PM
"The numbers you need [except...]" ummm.. cadence and power? It looks cool, but for $500 it would be nice to be able to do intervals.

ANAO
04-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Re: the power. I emailed them and asked if they had any plans to incorporate those readings in the future.

Eli

Good morning. Thank you for your note — we’re very excited too! Glad you’re sharing the energy.

That’s a really good question — and you’re not the first to ask. Just Saturday on the ride we were testing OMATA, came across a group ride and they caught a glimpse so they made us stop and one of the fellas asked the same question. We’ve deliberately engineered in BTLE/ANT+ support — so it’s part of the core product engine. We’re being ruthlessly focussed for the launch to focus on the core four initially. In the future, with firmware updates, we’ll be able to support pairing with sensors like you describe so that that data could be captured and recorded and then available post-ride and taken off the product either over BTLE or simply over the USB-C interface. There could very possibly be a ‘training edition’ in the future, too — where the core four data are (for example) power, cadence, HR and perhaps an interval timer. So, the simple answer to your question is that yes — we have definitely thought about that idea and technically it’s possible. There are a host of consideration beyond the theory of course, but it’s a distinct possibility.

To be clear — we are definitely passionately ruthlessly focussed on getting the launch edition as beautiful, as performant, as robust as possible as a stand-alone component. What allowed us to get to the point we are at now has been holding fast to that focus and not letting features creep in — experience at Nokia and other places has taught us that that introduces delays, complexities, distractions and so forth. The product as a very beautiful, very smart speedometer on its own is remarkable — and terribly fun to ride with.

As for product testers, we have to get product believers first — people who believe that this product should be on handlebars. That’s what the Kickstarter is about. To be honest, we need people like you who believe to help us spread the word. We know there are people who will have this — we just need as many as we can to continue!

Thanks for sending the note. We really appreciate it!

ETA: I will not be getting one without power/cadence/HR collecting data so that I can review, at the very least, but without that info on the dial...I don't think I'll be springing. How can they charge twice a Garmin with half the features? If they only want to sell 200, looks like they're about there.

eBAUMANN
04-05-2016, 02:36 PM
its a nice looking piece for sure...just looks out of place on a bike somehow, i guess because im so conditioned to seeing something digital there instead...the 24hr battery life is nice.

How can they charge twice a Garmin with half the features? If they only want to sell 200, looks like they're about there.

Its pretty clear just by lookin at the thing that their intention was never to compete with garmin or ANY other digital screen-based computer, but rather to produce something unique for those who enjoy the analogue aesthetic.

Why do people spend thousands on a nice analogue wristwatch when I can get a digital one for $10 at cvs that has a calculator built in?

ptourkin
04-05-2016, 02:41 PM
its a nice looking piece for sure...just looks out of place on a bike somehow, i guess because im so conditioned to seeing something digital there instead...the 24hr battery life is nice.

Me too. Even if they do add power, and coach says hold 300w for x (very few for me) minutes - I'm not sure I'd be able to focus on a little tick mark when it gets difficult. Cool idea just not for me.

Tickdoc
04-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Being a reformed mechanical watch guy, I love the look, but the price seems a bit out of proportion to features.

I'd rather not know when I'm riding anyways. I like to just go back and look later. When I did ride with a computer, I found that I had trained my eye to see the speed only, and would purposely ignore the distance until after the ride. I would get pissed if I actually saw the distance by mistake. Weird, I know.

And I don't ever want to see my power output....how humiliating.

smontanaro
04-06-2016, 05:23 AM
Is the vertical ascent feature going to be all that accurate? I thought GPS wasn't too good at measuring elevation changes. Has something changed?

chiasticon
04-06-2016, 07:26 AM
Being a reformed mechanical watch guy, I love the look, but the price seems a bit out of proportion to features.

I'd rather not know when I'm riding anyways. I like to just go back and look later. When I did ride with a computer, I found that I had trained my eye to see the speed only, and would purposely ignore the distance until after the ride. I would get pissed if I actually saw the distance by mistake. Weird, I know.this is kinda my feeling - that I wish they had made it into a wristwatch without the speed element (or that speed were average speed). basically have it look as nice but go on your wrist and only hold "review" type data, not "live" data.

oh and drop the price to sub-$300.

livingminimal
04-06-2016, 07:36 AM
Sorry, but no thanks. I ruthlessly bought a garmin for much cheaper that is about 20,000 times less obnoxious, safer, and more technologically advanced, ruthlessly. I ruthlessly don't need this thing, and ruthlessly loathe flowery word salads. I heard the "No Garmin, No Rules" crowd loves this thing...yeah...makes total sense. :cool:

shovelhd
04-06-2016, 07:59 AM
It would look great on a titanium fixie.

EPIC! Stratton
04-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Looks great, and while I like my analog watch and the aesthetics of analog dials, I think a Garmin for the same price is going to be much more functional. That said, it's real pretty for sure.

nooneline
04-06-2016, 09:08 AM
I think it looks great - a stylish and useful piece for somebody who doesn't want all the bells and whistles of a Garmin. Asking this to do power, cadence, modular units, intervals, and other things is like trying to re-invent the Spork when sometimes you just need EITHER a spoon or a fork.

hockeybike
04-06-2016, 09:12 AM
Passionately, ruthlessly crappy copy. Blech. This company could benefit from a copywriter.

Elefantino
04-06-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm not sure that it's not a solution in search of a problem. It may have success as niche product, but at that price I hardly think it'll be mass market.

They postulate that digital readouts confuse, but I won't buy that, either.

livingminimal
04-06-2016, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure that it's not a solution in search of a problem. It may have success as niche product, but at that price I hardly think it'll be mass market.

Its for dudes with ironic mustaches. Im sorta sad Fabs is attached to it.

Exactly. Last thing I want is to be in a group ride with a bunch of drones staring at these trying to decipher if they're going 18.4 or 18.8mph

cp43
04-06-2016, 10:06 AM

To my eye, based on the pics I've seen of this thing, it looks harder to read than a digital display. There's too much on the dial.

I like the idea, though. If it were (much) cheaper, and a little less busy, I'd probably pick one up. But for the price, I'll pass.

velomonkey
04-06-2016, 10:34 AM
There is a science that analog dials reduce cognitive loads???????

That assumes a lot of variables.

Anyhoooooo. I like the thought, but the $500 price is kind of a joke so for now I will pass.

Formulasaab
04-06-2016, 11:00 AM
I get how analog reduces cognitive load. Its the same as how I use the gauges in a racecar...

You "clock" all the analog gauges so that when in the normal operating range, or in the case of RPM at the critical point of redline, all the needles point at 12 o'clock. That way, all I need to do is take a quick glance and see that all the needles are pointed in the same direction. I don't care, at that time, about the number or value itself... Just STRAIGHT UP.

http://mitteleuropa.x10.mx/files/film/grand_prix_1966_frame_cd1_00_09_02__59__AA_01_01a. jpg

Apply that to a bicycle ride... Its a different aesthetic and a different way of approaching your riding. If you care, really, about fractions of a MPH, then this isn't the tool for you.

ANAO
04-06-2016, 11:02 AM
I get how analog reduces cognitive load. Its the same as how I use the gauges in a racecar...

You "clock" all the analog gauges so that when in the normal operating range, or in the case of RPM at the critical point of redline, all the needles point at 12 o'clock. That way, all I need to do is take a quick glance and see that all the needles are pointed in the same direction. I don't care, at that time, about the number or value itself... Just STRAIGHT UP.

http://mitteleuropa.x10.mx/files/film/grand_prix_1966_frame_cd1_00_09_02__59__AA_01_01a. jpg

Apply that to a bicycle ride... Its a different aesthetic and a different way of approaching your riding. If you care, really, about fractions of a MPH, then this isn't the tool for you.

Hmm interesting point. I guess I'm just too science-y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP4-ZtzF1Vg

spinarelli
04-07-2016, 06:36 PM
I would really like to get one but at $500 bucks I'll just keep my garmin. Maybe they will lower the rrsp if there is a huge demand for it. They already surpassed the kickstarter campaign. They really have to get power/cadence/HR incorporated in the device. Either way I;m glad that they are bringing some style back to the market.

MattTuck
04-11-2016, 12:17 PM
I just noticed that Cancellara's twitter feed has like 20 retweets of pictures for this Omata thing.

is he now a co-owner or something? Is he retiring to pursue his dream of an analog bike computer? ;)

https://twitter.com/f_cancellara

vqdriver
04-11-2016, 12:49 PM
i think it is easier to read just because it's not a screen, digital or not.
my biggest gripe with my 810 is that the size of the touchscreen is a power suck. it auto dims to save power and the readability (and glare) really changes in different light conditions or shadows. my old 705 didn't have this problem and i'll just assume it's the change to touchscreen. the analog readout with physical needles allows it to be hi contrast all the time without draining the battery. when i drive and glance at the speedo, i'm not concerned with 50 vs 52. it points somewhere in that area and i'm good. no, i don't need to know tenths of mph, just a general idea, like slow (ish) or fast (ish).

for a speedometer to look like a traditional speedometer but with gps powering the data, i'm interested. i don't know if i'm $500 interested, but i'm interested.

MaraudingWalrus
05-19-2018, 08:07 PM
It would look great on a titanium fixie.

I've just built a titanium fixed gear, and I love this thing. May buy one for myself when I graduate college and get a big boy job (next year at 27? I'm old).

I love the way these look, and much prefer an analog dial do a digital dial. I often ride with my computer in my jersey pocket. I also may just grab a garmin mount and some dog-ear replacement tabs and stick em on a nice looking cheap timex to shove out front on the bike.