PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried riding with waterproof socks?

stev0
04-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Regardless of different tights/overshoes combos, on long, rainy rides my feet always end up freezing because they're soaked, not because of cover. Has anyone tried any of the waterproof socks on the market on a ride? They seem mostly aimed at river crossing hikers, but I wonder if they might be a good additional layer of protection for cyclists in wet weather. Linked a few below.

http://hiconsumption.com/2014/09/best-waterproof-socks/ (Dexshell, Sealskinz, Hanz, Camaro, Rocky)

https://www.showerspass.com/products/crosspoint-waterproof-crew-socks (Showers Pass)

keevon
04-05-2016, 02:38 PM
I've had a pair of the Rocky Gore-Tex socks for years. Only used them a couple of times, though. The problem is that there's no way to seal at the top, so any water running down your leg/tights leeches into the sock. And once it's in there, there's no getting out. My feet end up more cold, wet, and miserable than they would without the socks.

jtakeda
04-05-2016, 02:40 PM
My boss gave me a pair for rain days.

They worked super well and they were a cheaper brand, so they weren't super fancy schmancy

I'd recommend them.

seanile
04-05-2016, 02:58 PM
https://www.showerspass.com/products/crosspoint-waterproof-crew-socks (Showers Pass)i used these last night on the tail end of a snowstorm when i rode home with pre-soaked shoes from the morning. very slushy streets.
they are an odd feel, like a wetsuit for your feet, and they don't quite conform to your foot's shape.
but they kept my feet dry and the water out. i'd say, with how thick they are, they're a solid winter commuting socks if you have slushy rides, but i feel like anything over 45degrees would result in sweat pooling in the sock and thus defeating the waterproof purpose..

bikingshearer
04-05-2016, 09:03 PM
My feet sweat. A lot. Always have. It's why I am always either in socks and shoes (mostly)or barefoot (rarely except in bed or the shower). In those socks, unless they and the shoes had drain holes, I would end up pedaling with a couple of sacks of grayer-than-gray water attached to my feet in very short odor . . . I mean, in very short order.

You're welcome for that insult to your visual and olfactory imaginations. :D

verbs4us
04-06-2016, 06:28 AM
Here's an apochryphal story from the archives. Thirty years ago in college in upstate NY I once headed out on a ride at that in-between temperature and decided to leave the booties behind. By ten miles in, this was apparently the wrong decision since feeling was leaving my toes. Not sure what to do, and not wanting to turn around, I came upon a small shopping center that had a pharmacy--I think it was a CVS or Duane-Reid. A quick dumpster dive yielded two fresh plastic bags. I wrapped them around my socks and up my calves, held in place by my tights. They worked magic--just enough to cut the wind and form a vapor barrier. Yes, my feet swam in sweat but better wet and warm than cold and dry. Since then, I have stuffed two CVS bags in my jersey for similar contingencies, and for rain.

sandyrs
04-06-2016, 08:40 AM
I have the showers pass socks. They're very waterproof but be sure to fully seal off the top of the sock or water will get in during a downpour and, as the socks are impermeable by water, the water will stay in there until you take the sock off and pour it out.

RFC
04-06-2016, 09:43 AM
Here's an apochryphal story from the archives. Thirty years ago in college in upstate NY I once headed out on a ride at that in-between temperature and decided to leave the booties behind. By ten miles in, this was apparently the wrong decision since feeling was leaving my toes. Not sure what to do, and not wanting to turn around, I came upon a small shopping center that had a pharmacy--I think it was a CVS or Duane-Reid. A quick dumpster dive yielded two fresh plastic bags. I wrapped them around my socks and up my calves, held in place by my tights. They worked magic--just enough to cut the wind and form a vapor barrier. Yes, my feet swam in sweat but better wet and warm than cold and dry. Since then, I have stuffed two CVS bags in my jersey for similar contingencies, and for rain.

LOL! Yes my suggestion. Plastic bags over socks.

Gummee
04-06-2016, 09:50 AM
Have a pair, but can't remember the last time I wore em. Typically use em for mtn biking when a pair of booties would get shredded

The one time they were worth their weight in gold was a 30-some deg ride right after a snowstorm. Ended up having to ride thru an ice-encrusted puddle. Got halfway thru and when the ice was almost to the hub, stopped. Now I'm a good lunge away from the side of the puddle and nowhere to go.

This was less than 20min in or I'd have gone back to the car

My feet were absolutely freezing by the end of the ride, but when I got back to the car expecting to see wet socks and frostbitten toes, I found everything inside the shoes was dry.

M

p nut
04-06-2016, 10:07 AM

LOL! Yes my suggestion. Plastic bags over socks.

I've used Subway sandwich bags. They work well, unless your feet are over a foot long!

ripvanrando
04-06-2016, 11:05 AM
I have a pair of the Sealskinz socks. They are waterproof to a degree or at least for a while. I used them on a 200K Brevet in 33-37F with downpouring rain and/or sleet. The merino lining helps to keep the feet warm. My feet were eventually wet but my feet were not cold. I generally use them in sub-freezing temperatures with a TT type bootie and my feet stay warm but I also make sure the rest of the body is kinda warm.

giverdada
04-06-2016, 11:12 AM
rocky mountain gore-text ones. were okay. not comfortable due to the same aforementioned problem with conforming to foot shape. they look more like those metal slippers worn by jousting knights... anyway, i wore them a bit and they were good for putting wet shoes on for the commute home. the tops were covered by rain pants so all fine. then i raced in them and they held so much water i could pour it all out at the finish. totally ineffective and gross. i got rid of them after that. plastic bags are annoying and crunchy and whatever, but very very effective. not too reusable though, and there's enough plastic in the ground already...

cdn_bacon
04-06-2016, 11:17 AM
I've heard through the grapevine that some of my runner friends use Vaseline. I've used bags, but that's about it.

OperaLover
04-06-2016, 03:47 PM
and the showers pass product is superior. The sealskinz seem to lose their waterproof ability after a couple of seasons. Just finishend my second season with SP socks and they have been great. To the extent that water runs down you legs, yes your feet will get wet, but the sicks are wool so your feet staty warm. That's ultimately what matters to me. I use them with a thin wool sock and my feet are normally dry and warm even in the rain. I use them all winter even on a "dry" (wet roads and/or drizzle) day because they do a good job of insulating.

cnighbor1
04-06-2016, 04:16 PM
Friend wore in Seattle in the !!!!!! every day riding to work neoprene kayak socks and Shimano riding sandals that accepted cleats
Than way water would not stay inside you shoe and coll down your foot

hellvetica
04-06-2016, 05:52 PM
I have the showers pass socks. They're very waterproof but be sure to fully seal off the top of the sock or water will get in during a downpour and, as the socks are impermeable by water, the water will stay in there until you take the sock off and pour it out.

This x10000000

I learned this the hard way during a 400 mile mtb race in which I got caught in a downpour for 5 hours.

pbarry
04-06-2016, 06:08 PM
WOOL socks for the OP. The rainy season in SoCal is fleeting. Thin wool socks and maybe shoes covers in "the winter". You are seeking warmth for your feet. Dry is another topic for those who live in colder and wet climates.

stev0
04-14-2016, 01:13 PM
thanks for all the responses. Think I might try the showers pass version. Any suggestions on sealing off the top of the sock? Never sure how to deal with this wearing bib tights in wet weather.

@pbarry, I pretty much never wear anything other than summer gear in socal, but I inevitably end up riding in freezing, super wet weather every year, and the socks would be for double duty in those conditions +backpacking in wet/snow

fmbp
04-14-2016, 01:58 PM
I've used some of the Sealskin socks for cold cyclocross races. They were warmer than thick socks. And, for 45 minutes, they didn't get too drenched with sweat.

GPrince
06-08-2016, 12:20 PM
I own these, as well as Sealskins. Both leak from the top. I've used Duct Tape -- which works -- but is a nuisance. Recently I had a scuba shop make me drysuit seals which go over the tops. Seems to work.

cnighbor1
06-08-2016, 05:23 PM
riding with waterproof socks?
friend in Seattle wore neoprene kayak socks and Shimano clip in sandals
That way no water pooled in the shoes and feet were dry

Joxster
06-08-2016, 06:44 PM
Seal skins are great for playing golf in, but for riding a bike in they are pants. As are most waterproof socks, when the water hits your shin it heads down to your foot and collects in the waterproof bag around your foot. Best option is to accept that your foot will get wet and deal with it by continuing to ride with a hey hoe, who gives a rats :banana::banana:

HenryA
06-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Another wool socks answer. Should keep you warm enough down into the 50s even if wet. Otherwise, water resistant shoe covers if it's really cold and wet.

The biggest contributor to cold feet is tight shoes. Tight shoes are what you get when you put on real thick socks inside shoes that already fit properly when worn with thin socks. That pretty much defines cycling shoes as commonly worn.

If you ride a lot in cold wet weather get shoes that allow a good fit with thicker socks and some decent shoe covers.

EDS
06-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Velotozes is the answer.