PDA

View Full Version : Best for the money?

pcxmbfj
04-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Just finishing a new Turner 29er frameset with components I had on other bikes or got in deals I couldn't pass on from the commonly known British online sites.

I don't know how much longer I can do the mountain bike scene so goal was a viable working group not bling.

Found the following article accurate and want to hear opinions of other riders on the forum as to the general theme of equipment performance and pricepoints.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mechanic/ask-a-mechanic-shimano-xtr-where-to-spend-your-money/

christian
04-05-2016, 08:56 AM
The net of it is that the stuff is all pretty good now and as long as function is not impeded, buying the cheaper stuff is worthwhile.

My Giant Reign runs an X1 rear derailleur, rather than an XX1 or XO1. It weighs 11g more than the XX1 model and costs $180 less. It also has a couple of good gashes in it where I've dumped the bike. When I have to replace it, I think I'll be replacing it with another X1 instead of upgrading it.

malcolm
04-05-2016, 08:58 AM
I tend to agree with the article. My mtn bike is all XTR except XT brakes and I'm happy. I'll disagree with the front derailleur and say a better bet is to do away with it completely. I've moved to 1X and not looked back.

I'll also add at my skill and speed level I'd probably be fine with SLX.

If I may ask why will you not be able to continue the mtn scene

ofcounsel
04-05-2016, 09:14 AM
SLX, XT and XTR will all function pretty much the same and are equally durable. The price difference comes in weight savings and finish. If you don't care about bling, buy the SLX stuff.

Same with SRAM. X1, X01 and XX1 pretty much will all function the same. Price increases as parts get lighter and finish gets nicer.

p nut
04-05-2016, 09:17 AM
I've been mountain biking for a long time and I'll say to save your cash on the drivetrain stuff. SLX works just fine. You're really not going to notice any performance differences vs an XTR. Put that money towards wheels!

pcxmbfj
04-05-2016, 10:15 AM
I tend to agree with the article. My mtn bike is all XTR except XT brakes and I'm happy. I'll disagree with the front derailleur and say a better bet is to do away with it completely. I've moved to 1X and not looked back.

I'll also add at my skill and speed level I'd probably be fine with SLX.

If I may ask why will you not be able to continue the mtn scene

I'm 68 having back issues diagnosed as sciatic or piriformis syndrome.
Doc advised me to avoid forward leaning and more upright position. Working out the gearing for a 1 x 10 ride on new Sultan.

malcolm
04-05-2016, 10:25 AM
I'm 68 having back issues diagnosed as sciatic or piriformis syndrome.
Doc advised me to avoid forward leaning and more upright position. Working out the gearing for a 1 x 10 ride on new Sultan.

Sorry to hear that. I'm 56 and the mtn bike seems to tear my back up as well. I ride a 650b hard tail and I'm considering moving to a full sus 29. It should be pretty easy to get more upright on the mtn bike but hard to eliminate the jarring.
Good luck, for what it's worth I've got a 26 turner flux and it's one of the best handling bikes I've ridden. Turner makes a sweet bike