PDA

View Full Version : It's good to be dull witted.

Tom
06-17-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm heading out yesterday, to go west of town I'm obliged to ride a bike path next to the divided highway for a couple of miles. As with all bike paths it takes the occasional 90 degree corner. This year there have been more poplar fuzzies than I can ever remember, and one corner is completely covered with a layer of them. I was thinking about something else and headed through the corner at speed when both wheels slid out. Before I had time to panic, the bike righted itself and on I went. This seems to happen with me. I'll hit loose sand and the bike will slide and lately a guy swerved into my bars and knocked them pretty good but other than a little bobble no problems. It's only after it's over I go "Hey...". I think there are two factors. A superbly balanced bike and a supremely slow mind.

This year to date I've ridden almost a third more miles than last year, starting earlier and building slower. After 2600 miles yesterday was the first day over 60 miles. Sometimes it hurts to keep going, I wanted to get to where it hurt when I stopped. Then I know I've gone far enough. I quit after 80 miles, because it was one of the very first days it was hot and I was pretty dehydrated when I started... alcohol and caffeine are not good rehydration drinks, I do believe.

It's been a good week. I took it off from work and have ridden the bike as much as I have wanted to and did a lot of gardening. Talk about clearing the head out.

quaintjh
06-17-2006, 09:33 AM
BBDave and I went out on Tues with Evan(?) and I mentioned to them that those fuzzies really made me nervous and seemed to be only in the corners! Good job staying upright.

Jay