PDA

View Full Version : Paul Components Racers

glc
06-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Anybody have an opinion about the Racer brake? Would love it if so.
Thanx.

Too Tall
06-17-2006, 07:03 AM
Just so happens I am setting up the new center pull versions as we speak...taking a coffee break. The feel is super smooth, quality typical Paul which is over the top nice. I'll chime in once I've ridden them.

capitán
06-17-2006, 09:38 AM
I'd say the New Racers are on par with very high quality dual-pivot sidepulls in terms of both braking power and modulation. They are much, much better than any cantilevers I've ever used. My experience is with the centermount version, and I'd bet the braze-on mount version is even better.

ChrisK
06-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Centerpull brakes are, if set up properly, almost always superior to sidepulls. Get an old set of Mafac Racers, put on modern pads, modern brake cables, and use modern levers, and check that the pivot bushings are not shot and you will have brakes that stop better and have far far better modulation than any sidepulls ever made. So while I'm sure the Pauls are great I prefer the the two sets of Mafacs I bought for $15, polished up, and modernized. They stop better than my Chorus brakes.

Chris

dbrk
06-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Centerpull brakes are, if set up properly, almost always superior to sidepulls. If you get an old set of Mafac Racers, put on modern pads, modern brake cables, and use modern levers, and check that the pivot bushings are not shot you will have brakes that stop better and have far far better modulation than any sidepulls ever made. So while I'm sure the Pauls are great I prefer the the two sets of Mafacs I bought for $15, polished up and modernized. They stop better than my Chorus brakes.

Chris

Yes. I have the Paul's centerpulls on two bikes, both made for the braze-on version, which are superior to any other brakes I have used. This would include the new 7800 DA, which I gotta' say work pretty darn well (and I prefer to any of the Campagnolo). Then again, I think 105 brakes are pretty swell. If you can find Mafac 2000 or Competition, you've moved up in the world. Raids are for 650B or tandems.

dbrk

dauwhe
06-17-2006, 10:29 AM
I've ridden many thousands of miles on my Saluki with these brakes. I didn't really understand the concept of "modulation" until I tried these brakes. Modern sidepulls seem to be either "on" or "off"; but with these you really feel you can adjust the amount of braking force to any amount.

The best test of brakes around here is descending the north side of Mt. Greylock in Massachusetts. The road is in horrible shape, with frost heaves, potholes, and moss. There are lots of switchbacks, and grades of up to 15%. You can't let go of your brakes for more than a few seconds during the entire descent. The Paul brakes were wonderful in these conditions--I felt much more in control than I had with dual-pivot sidepulls on other rides.

Highly recommended!

Dave Cramer
Brattleboro, Vermont

sg8357
06-17-2006, 01:02 PM
I have been riding the first version of the Paul's brazed on for a year.
They are on my Chris Kvale, 32mm tires with Berthoud fenders,
excellent feel with great clearance. The Paul design makes setting
the brake pads easy, since there is no spring tension when toeing
the pads. The down side, can't use brake bolt mounted racks ala
TA or Nitto. The included hardware is cheesy, get some Dia-compe
roller carriers or for style points Herse style stradle carriers from
Jintensha Studio.

Scott G.

Lincoln
06-17-2006, 04:14 PM
<snip>

The best test of brakes around here is descending the north side of Mt. Greylock in Massachusetts. The road is in horrible shape, with frost heaves, potholes, and moss. There are lots of switchbacks, and grades of up to 15%. You can't let go of your brakes for more than a few seconds during the entire descent. <snip>

I love that ride. Even though I have lived in UT for the last 16 years and have access to many wonderful mountain pass rides, Mt. Greylock is still one of my favorites (I grew up just across the VT border).

Lincoln

glc
06-17-2006, 05:00 PM
thanx!!! figured as much but love a little reassurance here and there. as always you guys are rad.

palincss
06-18-2006, 03:05 PM
The best test of brakes around here is descending the north side of Mt. Greylock in Massachusetts. The road is in horrible shape, with frost heaves, potholes, and moss. There are lots of switchbacks, and grades of up to 15%. You can't let go of your brakes for more than a few seconds during the entire descent. The Paul brakes were wonderful in these conditions--I felt much more in control than I had with dual-pivot sidepulls on other rides.

Let me bear witness. The front side (the ascent, starting at the Visitors' Center) of Mt. Greylock isn't bad, but the descent on the back side is as bad as Dave says and more. I rode it in 2002 on a bike with long reach Shimano dual pivots, and I was exhausted when I finally reached bottom. You simply don't dare let go of the brakes - there aren't ten feet clear without potholes, and you pick up speed at such a rate that two eyeblinks and you're in the danger zone.

dauwhe
06-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Let me bear witness. The front side (the ascent, starting at the Visitors' Center) of Mt. Greylock isn't bad, but the descent on the back side is as bad as Dave says and more. I rode it in 2002 on a bike with long reach Shimano dual pivots, and I was exhausted when I finally reached bottom. You simply don't dare let go of the brakes - there aren't ten feet clear without potholes, and you pick up speed at such a rate that two eyeblinks and you're in the danger zone.

I've gone down it with those long-reach Shimano sidepulls, and my hands were cramping... It actually felt significantly better with the Pauls--somehow a much lighter touch on the brakes was OK.

Today I started up Ascutney, but bailed after about 1.2 miles (90 degrees; my heart just wasn't in it). Riding down, again the brakes were fine, although I took several breaks to let the rims cool!

Dave