PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Articles About (or from) Bicycling

kurto
04-04-2016, 09:16 AM
The discussion of Bicycling magazine got me thinking about all the great features and profiles and long-reads that they occasionally publish. Most are hosted free on their site, and I'm sure other publications do similar things. So, what are your faves? I'll start with this: What Ever Happened to Greg Lemond? (http://www.bicycling.com/culture/people/whatever-happened-greg-lemond)

Mikej
04-04-2016, 10:13 AM
30 pair of gloves "shoot out"

peanutgallery
04-04-2016, 10:23 AM
How to prepare for a century in 30 days

sandyrs
04-04-2016, 10:30 AM
7 ways to climb faster NOW

stien
04-04-2016, 10:52 AM
Oh yes.

6 ways how NOT to start a fire was my favorite bit from the most recent mag.

I somehow ended up with it. Maybe through a racing license.

Elefantino
04-04-2016, 12:57 PM
They once put a heart rate monitor on Marla Streb and recorded her during sex.

That was pretty much a low point for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony T
04-04-2016, 01:01 PM
It helped me purchase my 1st real road bike:

azrider
04-04-2016, 01:07 PM
"Your ideal cycling weight"

Ryun
04-04-2016, 01:31 PM
The davis phinney counter steering article was a semi annual event through the 90s

numbskull
04-04-2016, 01:52 PM
The discussion of Bicycling magazine got me thinking about all the great features and profiles and long-reads that they occasionally publish. Most are hosted free on their site, and I'm sure other publications do similar things. So, what are your faves? I'll start with this: What Ever Happened to Greg Lemond? (http://www.bicycling.com/culture/people/whatever-happened-greg-lemond)

Thanks, I enjoyed that.

Repack Rider
04-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Bicycling published the first article I ever wrote, in 1979, when I wrote a description of these crazy guys in California (http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/clunker.htm) who were riding and racing off-road on junkyard bikes with fat, 26" tires.

More recently some of the Californians had started designing and building bikes for this purpose, and I thought it might catch on with a small minority of bicyclists. I only missed by a couple of orders of magnitude.

I had no experience at that point writing for publication, so it's a little breathless and over the top, but what do you want for the first try? I went on to write hundreds of bicycle articles and a couple of books.

fiamme red
04-08-2016, 09:55 AM
Frank Berto's technical articles were some of my favorites.

makoti
04-08-2016, 10:29 AM
They had a three part (!) series on how to build wheels in 1986. Used it to start building my own.

bcroslin
04-08-2016, 11:19 AM
The latest issue's "Know How" piece on John Jones III and the east side riders is excellent. It's short but has some great ideas on how cyclists can connect with their community.

Peter P.
04-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Frank Berto's technical articles were some of my favorites.

Same here.

I remember road test comparisons of a Bob Jackson vs. Ron Cooper racing bikes (or was that Bike World?).

First road test of a Reynolds 753 frame (Team Raleigh).

Road test of the Lotus Aero road bike with Shimano Aero components. This was back in the 80's I'd guess.

A comparison of America vs. the world (Italian and Japanese) high end bikes. I think it included a Bruce Gordon or Albert Eisentraut production road bike, a Guerciotti, a Richard Sachs, a 3 Rensho, and others.

You can tell I loved the tech articles...

FlashUNC
04-08-2016, 09:08 PM
I liked the one where Jens wrote a column about how he never saw doping ever in two decades in the pro peloton, right after the reasoned decision, and then Bicycling disappeared the column.