PDA

View Full Version : Should I let go of my garmin 800 and get either a 520 or a 1000?

R3awak3n
04-04-2016, 05:13 AM
I like my 800 fine, it does what it is suppose to do but its slow, the screen is terrible and does not have some things I would like (live tracking, seeing who is calling (just because sometimes I might get a work call and it would be nice to only pick those up and ignore everyone else) and micro usb cord (yes this is silly but I hate that my only device with a mini usb is the garmin, I only have 1 cable for it and when I toured I had to bring an extra cable).

Garmin is weird because they don't upgrade their systems that often, I would think they would bring a new 1000 or 800 to the market any day now but that is not going to happen I don't think.

They did just release the 520 which seems like a good gps. Has everything I need minus routable directions BUT everytime I used the routable directions on the 800 (not often since I usually did a corse at home which apparently the 520 does turn by turn for that) it left a lot to be desired, read, it was crap.

Anyone with the 520 can confirm that there is indeed turn by turn if you follow a course? I like that I could make a course on my phone and send it to the gps so if I am touring I could easily do that.

What turns me off the 520 is not having touch screen. The 800 has a terrible touch screen but it does work fine with gloves and you can access the menus and move the map screen pretty easy with your fingers but the 520 is buttons only which probably is better for actually ridding a bike but not as good for mapping.

The price is fine, $300 (I don't need the cadence, ect because I already have it) . I can sell my 800 for probably half of that maybe a bit less so I am not in it for a lot.

Also is the battery life better than the 1000? I heard it has a lousy battery life. The 800 battery is fine, nothing special but it has never let me stranded.

The 1000 is interesting, I like the size of the screen for a touch screen device and has more resolution which is one of my problems with the 800 but I do not like that its so big and that its a capacitive touch screen (how well does it really work with gloves? cuz my iphone is awful with gloves, even the ones that supposedly work on touch screens.

I also do not like the price, $400+ and just so I can have turn by turn which I probably would not use all that much (but would use if better then 800, its really awful on the 800).

Just want some opinions here and if someone can convince me to pull the trigger is paceline. :banana:

Also saw that there is a new wahoo which is pretty cool, its more like a 520, any opinion on those would be welcome as well

Thank you everyone and sorry for the long post.

kramnnim
04-04-2016, 06:26 AM
Skipping over the 810? It does get some poor reviews...

R3awak3n
04-04-2016, 06:34 AM
If I loved my 800, the 810 would be a wise choice since it does have everything I want and has recently got the update but it is basically the same device as the 800 but with a few added features, it should really not cost much more than the 800 (used market since the 800 is not sold anymore). If the 810 cost $200 I would definitely consider it but at $300 I think I would rather get the newest of the new (520)

kramnnim
04-04-2016, 06:41 AM
I bought a used 810 for $200, only had a 4 hour battery life when it arrived. Seller was unresponsive (shoutout to Ben Renkema in Greenville, SC) but Garmin said they'd replace it with a refurb even though it was out of warranty.

They said I could send it back and they'd send the replacement when my old one arrived, or I could send them $199 and they'd send it immediately...and issue a $199 refund once they received my faulty unit. This makes me wonder if they would sell refurbs for $199. Might be worth a 5 minute call in to Garmin?

A local friend has a 1000 and after seeing it, I want one...even though it will not have any connectivity with my phone. (Windows)

kramnnim
04-04-2016, 06:45 AM
Regarding the 520- the limited mapping are looks really annoying if you rides cover a large area and I wasn't thrilled with OSM. Button placement looks like it could be a problem, depending on the mount you use...

http://media.dcrainmaker.com/images/2015/07/IMG_3489.jpg

The 800/810 screen and mapping really does suck, though, compared to a smartphone. Haven't seen if the 1000 is better in that regard?

Gummee
04-04-2016, 07:36 AM
Regarding the 520- the limited mapping are looks really annoying if you rides cover a large area and I wasn't thrilled with OSM. Button placement looks like it could be a problem, depending on the mount you use...

http://media.dcrainmaker.com/images/2015/07/IMG_3489.jpg

The 800/810 screen and mapping really does suck, though, compared to a smartphone. Haven't seen if the 1000 is better in that regard?

Re: button placement It's better than the touch screen in pretty much every way. Once you get used to em, that is. The only thing I could potentially see problems with is if you use the lap feature manually and have the stem mount and a short stem.

Otherwise, it picks up satellites quickly, you can DL apps for it, etc.

If you don't use/need mapping (me) that feature gets turned off so it's a non-issue

M

oldfatslow
04-04-2016, 08:01 AM
I have a 510 and never use it for Nav... until this weekend.

We rode a 100k Gravel Grinder race in which the course was not marked. They did provide maps and a GPX file. I downloaded the GPX file to my 510, used it as a course, and it was fine for navigation even when the roads weren't abundantly clear the map and turn instruction worked.

I assume the 520 is the same. It doesn't do directions -- you have to download a course to it.

I think it also does go "back to start" but it only works in an out and back sort of way -- it has no capability to find the best path back (say it starts to rain and you want to cut short your ride -- it just bread crumbs you back it doesn't say take x street to y street to get home).

R3awak3n
04-04-2016, 08:20 AM
@gummee: In regards to the buttons, I think I would probably be ok since I have a 800 mount right now which I would keep and the 800 is bigger so it would let me access the buttons fine. I also have never used the lap button so good on that. So on that course you made, it did give you turn by turn right?

@oldfatslow: I hear you on all that. I will tell you that the 800 has tried putting me on a highway in NY and the last time I was on my tour it would not map (said memory full), it really is crappy and why I want to stay away from the 810.

@kramnnim: The 1000 looks better in terms of mapping just because the screen is better, I also assume its faster as well (but maybe I should not assume). I believe the software is also different and again, assume better since its newer. The 810 also has newer software since updated so I am sure its a similar experience as the 1000.

Right now I am leaning to the 520, I have $35 in ebay bucks that I could use but its about $270 on wiggle so I could go that way as well.

eBAUMANN
04-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Had an 800, got an 810, then a 520 just cause. I miss the touch screen every time I use the 520, as navigating through the menus just feels so much slower using buttons. I'm sure some people hate the touch screen but I really can't see why.

If you can find an 810 for the price of a 520, it would be pretty hard to justify not getting it, as it can do everything except the phone notifications, gives you a real mapping system, and the user experience is just way better IMO.

sparky33
04-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Also is the battery life better than the 1000? I heard it has a lousy battery life. The 800 battery is fine, nothing special but it has never let me stranded.

Same here, I have an 800 that is fine and wonder if upgrading is worthwhile...

The word is that battery on the 1000 is terrible, especially if you are running Bluetooth or anything but the basics. Also, the live segment thing is useless because it does not link to Strava. I can do without segments, but the battery shortage is a deal breaker because the navigating long rides is when a GPS unit becomes really useful. External battery pack maybe?

The 810 seems like a teeny tiny upgrade from the 800 with blue tooth route loading and live tracking...nice to have, but honestly, the 800 works fine.

I wonder if it is worth abandoning Garmin altogether. The software is humorously dated and constrained to kludgy Garmin apps, and I would gladly saddle a few more ounces for a juicier battery. Magellan maybe? The day is near when competitors best Garmin at their own game.

layneo59
04-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Interesting this post just came up...

I have a Garmin 800 that recently crapped out (is 5 years old so got my moneys worth). I can still charge it, but for some reason a computer doesn't acknowledge when I plug it in. Tried this on multiple computers. Works fine as a GPS in the field, but can't download routes.

Was looking to switch to a 520, but spotted recondition 800 for $200 at GPS Nation. For $200 and an additional $15 for a 3 year warranty, not that great a risk. I'm not a big fan of reconditioned units, but at that price its worth a shot.

I just got it so can't give you any long-term review.

An option to consider.

guido
04-04-2016, 09:08 AM
I have an edge 1000 and like it a lot. The screen is very easy to read.

I get ~9 hours in full nav mode with a powermeter. I don't use bluetooth...

For longer rides i use an external battery pack connected with a coiled cable. It takes almost no room in a packet of the front bag.

adrien
04-04-2016, 09:16 AM
I went from a 305 to a 1000, after trying an 810 and a 500.

Worlds of difference. I have approximately 10 hours of battery life consistently, and the unit is a year old, so I'm not sure what the complaints are about.

Screen touch works extremely well, including with leather gloves that are not touch-screen specific. Bluetooth connection to the iPhone is not perfect, and it drains the iPhone a lot (not the Garmin) and so I tend to use it only on shorter rides. iPhone also drains a lot when you use the tracking feature.

The biggest difference to me of the 1000 is the navigation. It is superb. I tend to use turn-by-turn only when I'm in unfamiliar territory, but it is extremely useful also mid-ride. As an example, when I did my second Ventoux ascent, I grabbed maps online, and used the Garmin. Rode up from Bedoin as the last time, but felt fresh and decided to descend to Sault. I then had the Garmin route me back to the car in Bedoin. Took me back, turn-by-turn, over bike-friendly roads in the middle of a national park. Gorgeous ride, never had any fear of getting lost.

Last point is the size. Yup, it's big, which is nice and easy to see. It doesn't look huge on my bike, but I think it's a proportion thing. I have a good friend who rides a 48 with 34 bars and an 80 stem. His 500 looks big on that bike. I ride a 59 with 44 bars and a 120 stem. My 1000 looks if anything smaller than his 500.

I'd say this -- if you regularly ride in places you don't go often, and they tend to be more isolated, the power of the 1000 is great. If you don't, I'd be inclined to go with one of the smaller and less expensive models.

chiasticon
04-04-2016, 09:26 AM
also have the 810 and don't have any gripes with it. it's nice having the maps when you're doing courses. I had a 500 before and when you don't know where you are and are just staring at a weird line drawing and a list of turns, it's way less helpful than a legit map. also on group rides when it's your turn to pull and someone says "turn right on Highwood rd" you can just go to your map page and it'll say "approaching Highwood rd" when you are. nice stuff to have. I love touchscreen too. I used to have both 500 and 800 together and I hated using the 500 because it was so slow and cumbersome to use with the button navigation. just changing a data field took a couple minutes versus like ten seconds on the 800/810. I like the ability to upload to garmin/strava from the phone too, makes it really simple. however I do wish it had the phone notification feature; that would be great. but I'm not going to the 1000 just to get it.

I would advise getting the 810 personally. I've never found it slow to use (once I learned the new OS). if you could borrow one or buy it from somewhere with a good return policy, that would be ideal.

sparky33
04-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Had an 800, got an 810, then a 520 just cause. I miss the touch screen every time I use the 520, as navigating through the menus just feels so much slower using buttons. I'm sure some people hate the touch screen but I really can't see why.

If you can find an 810 for the price of a 520, it would be pretty hard to justify not getting it, as it can do everything except the phone notifications, gives you a real mapping system, and the user experience is just way better IMO.

Eric,

Does the 520 give you street names in turn by turn navigation....
"left on Smith St in 500 ft", etc?
or is it just "arrow left 500ft" without knowing the street names?

I kind of like hard buttons, touch screen is fine too...

JamesEsq
04-04-2016, 10:01 AM
I just got the Edge 1000 and it's great if you're running Dura Ace 9070 Di2, as the "hidden" hood buttons can control your screens, plus it gives you accurate battery power of the Di2.

josephr
04-04-2016, 10:37 AM
have an 800 --- actually the first one died and now on a replacement. I don't particularly fancy the Bluetooth integration....but I don't want to see instant results and usually just upload my rides once a week. I'll run this 800 until it dies and probably get a refurb if/when that day comes. If the refurb 800 isn't available, I'd probably go with something a little more simple as I find a regular ole map/cue sheet far more helpful than GPS/turn-by-turn navigation.

crossjunkee
04-04-2016, 11:02 AM
The lack of a touchscreen on the 520 is so annoying. Went back to my trusty 510.

rzthomas
04-04-2016, 11:26 AM
The lack of a touchscreen on the 520 is so annoying. Went back to my trusty 510.

Might be one of the few people to actually like the 510 touchscreen.

To OP: you might also want to scope the Wahoo ELMNT. Lots of cool features.

R3awak3n
04-04-2016, 11:39 AM
The elmnt is cool but needs more work and updates but I like it a lot. A step in the right direction. The more I read this thread the more I either want the 1000 or just to stick with the 800.

I am not sure about loosing the touch screen. Its so easy to access menus and zoom in and out of maps (which is already aweful on the 800). I would totally go 810 if I could pay only like $50 for the upgrade but more than that I am mot interested. I now have been looking at the 1000 and its really expensive.

Ahhh i am now more confused and might just not buy anything. The paceline, now saving people in bike parts? Thats a first

crossjunkee
04-04-2016, 11:43 AM
Might be one of the few people to actually like the 510 touchscreen.

To OP: you might also want to scope the Wahoo ELMNT. Lots of cool features.

Not that I "like" it, I just got tired of poking the 520, haha!

R3awak3n
04-04-2016, 12:27 PM
I could also get the WAHOO RFLK for every day rides and keep the 800 for just touring, that could be a decent cheap option

kramnnim
04-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Interesting this post just came up...

I have a Garmin 800 that recently crapped out (is 5 years old so got my moneys worth). I can still charge it, but for some reason a computer doesn't acknowledge when I plug it in. Tried this on multiple computers. Works fine as a GPS in the field, but can't download routes.

You could just use the SD card... Set the unit to record to the card, and swap it between 800 and card reader to transfer. You can put the new routes in the NewFiles directory on the SD card and the 800 will read them just fine.

...I assume you tried more than one cable, and the problem is in the female USB plug on the 800.

kramnnim
04-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Oh and someone here (fjaws?) said that Garmin will be putting the 810 unit and bundle on sale for $299/399 starting on the 7th.

kevinvc
04-04-2016, 12:49 PM
My 500 is about to bite the dust and I've been spending hours reading up on various replacement options: 520, 800, 810, 1000.

It's pretty clear that the only version that checks off all of my important boxes is the 820. :crap:

R3awak3n
04-04-2016, 01:22 PM
My 500 is about to bite the dust and I've been spending hours reading up on various replacement options: 520, 800, 810, 1000.

It's pretty clear that the only version that checks off all of my important boxes is the 820. :crap:

my thoughts exactly.... but will they make a 820? I am not so sure about that, I think the 820 in garmins head is the 1000.

It really is a shame that they have this monopoly, their software is joke, their hardware is a joke. I hope some other players come in the market... wahoo is a good one to have but the ELMNT is not exactly what I want... The battery life kinda sucks for a black and white screen

eBAUMANN
04-04-2016, 01:28 PM
Eric,

Does the 520 give you street names in turn by turn navigation....
"left on Smith St in 500 ft", etc?
or is it just "arrow left 500ft" without knowing the street names?

I kind of like hard buttons, touch screen is fine too...

Not sure as i havent loaded a route on it yet. I only really used a few times when I first got it, then just ended up going back to the 810 for the touchscreen. Ive thought about selling the 520 a few times but havent made a decision yet.

kevinvc
04-04-2016, 01:39 PM
my thoughts exactly.... but will they make a 820? I am not so sure about that, I think the 820 in garmins head is the 1000.

It really is a shame that they have this monopoly, their software is joke, their hardware is a joke. I hope some other players come in the market... wahoo is a good one to have but the ELMNT is not exactly what I want... The battery life kinda sucks for a black and white screen

The internets are full of articles speculating on when / whether an 820 will arrive and the consensus is a resounding "I dunno".

I want the mapping capabilities of the 800 or 1000. I want livetracking so my wife knows where I am while on solo rides. I want to download routes and maps without plugging into a computer for when I'm on a multi-day trek, I want GLONASS, I want touchscreen, I don't want something larger than my phone.

There was a lot of hope that it would be announced at CES this year. Since that didn't happen the current speculation is that sometime this summer Garmin will announce either a release date or that the 800 series has been discontinued.

R3awak3n
04-04-2016, 01:43 PM
The internets are full of articles speculating on when / whether an 820 will arrive and the consensus is a resounding "I dunno".

I want the mapping capabilities of the 800 or 1000. I want livetracking so my wife knows where I am while on solo rides. I want to download routes and maps without plugging into a computer for when I'm on a multi-day trek, I want GLONASS, I want touchscreen, I don't want something larger than my phone.

There was a lot of hope that it would be announced at CES this year. Since that didn't happen the current speculation is that sometime this summer Garmin will announce either a release date or that the 800 series has been discontinued.

its funny, we want exactly the same things and I also did search for the 820 and not much out there.

Its nice that garmin doesn't update their GPSs every year, like apple does with their phones but its not nice that they release devices that look and function like they are 5 years old and then keep them in the market for another 5 years.

rnhood
04-04-2016, 01:54 PM
Nothing wrong with the 800 but, if you have to have the latest features then the 1000 is the one to get.

chiasticon
04-04-2016, 01:57 PM
I want the mapping capabilities of the 800 or 1000. I want livetracking so my wife knows where I am while on solo rides. I want to download routes and maps without plugging into a computer for when I'm on a multi-day trek, I want GLONASS, I want touchscreen, I don't want something larger than my phone.810 has all that, except GLONASS.

I've actually been kinda "meh" about mine. no issues with it but don't adore it either. this thread is reminding me how great it really is.

rnhood
04-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Devices with GLONASS will be quicker to boot up since there are many more satellites to lock on to. The next version of the 800 series will surely have it.

jbay
04-05-2016, 03:51 PM
It really is a shame that they have this monopoly, their software is joke, their hardware is a joke. I hope some other players come in the market... wahoo is a good one to have but the ELMNT is not exactly what I want... The battery life kinda sucks for a black and white screenI've been using an Elemnt for the past month and really like it. The clarity of the black and white screen is absolutely brilliant, I have to tell you. I don't miss [impossible to divine] colour even so much as a tiny bit. Battery life has been good too - 5+ hours in temperatures hovering around freezing has left the battery at a little over 60%. On the same spin, the battery level on my wife's Garmin 1000 was at 30%.

The Elemnt definitely has some bugs and missing features (most of which are promised in the near future) but, even so, I would take it over my old Garmin 800 any day. I enjoy not having to plug it into a computer and, in use, did I mention the brilliant screen?

The attitude of Wahoo, the company, is so different from that of Garmin too, that it well worth mentioning. They monitor various forums, answer questions and appear to take feedback into consideration. They have pushed out several firmware updates in the past few weeks, which, as a paying beta tester, you could look upon in a glass half-empty or glass half-full manner. For now, I'm in the latter camp. Give it another month and I think they'll have a winner.

-- John

R3awak3n
04-05-2016, 06:47 PM
To be clean I like a black and white screen, when contrast is good its much better in the sun and technically should have better bat life. I mentioned bat life from what I read but glad to hear from you that its actually pretty damn good. I like the element, love the lights and the whole concept of it and do think wahoo is a much better company than garmin.

Will look at it again, do wish it had turn by turn and hope that price drops a bit

Mikej
04-06-2016, 08:28 AM
does the 510 have a text or incoming call alert when paired with smart phone?

EPIC! Stratton
04-06-2016, 09:00 AM
FWIW, I have a 520. Loving the battery life on it, as well as features linking phone/strava. That said, I agree that the lack of a touch screen is a bit annoying, HOWEVER, I think this is only really the case with setting it up. Like any other device, once you know where menus are, and how to navigate them, using the buttons works pretty well - esp since I can wear any kind of gloves when I'm riding and I know the buttons will work (unlike a touch screen).

Re Maps, no comment yet. I'm following DC Rainmakers instructions re better maps on the unit for some upcoming off road rides. Generally as long as the unit starts chirping at me when I'm off course I'll be happy with it.

Mark McM
04-06-2016, 12:36 PM
To be clean I like a black and white screen, when contrast is good its much better in the sun and technically should have better bat life. I mentioned bat life from what I read but glad to hear from you that its actually pretty damn good.

I think you are referring to the difference between a transflective LCDs (as on Garmin units) and backlight LCDs (as on most smart phones). Transflective displays rely on ambient light (instead of an active backlight), and use very little power. They can be either black & white or color. The color LCDs on Garmin GPS units are transflective. The many power draw in the Garmin units is the GPS radio, which can operate continuously for many hours.

alembical
04-06-2016, 04:22 PM
I don't have other Garmin units to compare my 520 to, but I am very happy with it. I quite often wear full finger gloves and ride in the rain and am happy with the buttons rather than the touchscreen, but to be honest, once riding, I am not someone who is fiddling with it a bunch. I at most look at two other screens, which is just a click. I use the provided out front mount and have no issues pushing any of the buttons.

R3awak3n
04-07-2016, 02:52 AM
I almost won a garmin 1000 yesterday on ebay. I had my bid set and it went for $350 shipped, somehow my bid never went through. Oh well, I guess its not meant to be.

kramnnim
04-07-2016, 06:22 AM
I almost won a garmin 1000 yesterday on ebay. I had my bid set and it went for $350 shipped, somehow my bid never went through. Oh well, I guess its not meant to be.

gixen.com

R3awak3n
04-07-2016, 06:32 AM
I was using esnipe. They had never let me down, tipl yesterday

huck*this
04-07-2016, 08:04 PM
Had the 800, 810 and now the 1000.

800 was too slow for me. Slow to find GPS, Slow to sync just all around slow.

810 was a great unit and would still have it till this day if I didn't sell it when I sold my bike.

Bought a new bike and now have the 1000. Amazing unit! Very snappy boot time and GPS is almost instant. Battery life is fantastic. Not sure if the 520 has this feature but the main reason why I will never get rid of my 1000 is Route Planning.

Click on it say I want to head out on a 35mi ride. It will then give me 3 different options with a few miles less and few miles more along with elevation. Pick my ride and set out. Gives turn by turn and honestly even though I know the area very well, it will still take me on roads I have not rode on. I have a smile every time i set out on my Saturday morning ride using that feature.

If its in the cards. I would highly suggest the 1000. Great unit that just works and works very well!