PDA

View Full Version : It's official: Mapei, Quick Step is DEAD!!!!!!!

velomonkey
03-31-2016, 06:10 PM
I'm a solid Gen-X guy. Which means I got into the sport when PDM was "the" team. Sure LeMond was 'the' rider, but PDM was 'the' team.

Fast forward and there is a battle between Robobank and Mapei for being 'The" team. Mapei won hands down. Talk about taking kit design to new levels . . . if La Vie Claire showed us what could be done with a kit, Mapei showed us what shouldn't be done.

Still - they were "the" team. 1,2,3 in Paris Roubaix. Flanders. Colnago. Green jerseys in the tour. Those dudes owned it. You ever look at their junior team . . . . holy moly it's a who's who of future classic winners.

Then we after 10 years we got Domo and they barely held up, but still . . . . 1,2,3 at Paris Roubaix and this time on Merckx bikes. No green jersey but a polka dot jersey.

Then we got Quick Step. They had to prove themselves and while it took two years prove themselves they did and they did it with a young rider who went by the nickname Tomokke. The jerseys weren't always awesome, but they always grew on you. Sure they rode Specialized, but, come on - the man was in the game. Every now and then they rode Merckx bikes to stay hip.

This is the 1st year I have my doubts, plus Etixx Quick Step . . . .not sure it works. The recent loss totally illustrates feelings. . . . . just not what they used to be, but then again 20 years is a long time.

bloody sunday
03-31-2016, 06:13 PM
I think the phrase you're looking for is "Mapei, Quick Step is OVER!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlGqN3AKOsA

velomonkey
03-31-2016, 06:17 PM
I think the phrase you're looking for is "Mapei, Quick Step is OVER!"

LOLZ!!!!! (serous note: I even let myself down).

MattTuck
03-31-2016, 06:22 PM
Boonen rode for USPS in 2002. LOL. They stuck with their classics super-star Hincapie.

velomonkey
03-31-2016, 06:25 PM
Boonen rode for USPS in 2002. LOL. They stuck with their classics super-star Hincapie.

Yup - 3rd in Paris Roubaix while George fell in a ditch. Doing. Nothing. Literally. Smart move boys. Boonen was the one rider not on the Mapei Domo junior list - so they just nabbed him from USPS you know . . . before the victories came.

ultraman6970
03-31-2016, 06:50 PM
If you look at the videos, the german was suffering big time in the last 2 km, at the time of the sprint he was dead, good win by viviani.

wallymann
03-31-2016, 07:40 PM
I'm a solid Gen-X guy. Which means I got into the sport when PDM was "the" team. Sure LeMond was 'the' rider, but PDM was 'the' team.

sorry, check your notes...La Vie Claire was THE team...1986 TdF: 1st, 2nd, 4th on GC. Polka-dot Jersey (mountains). White Jersey (young rider). Team GC.

PDM was indeed pretty sweet, but La Vie Claire...hell, just lookit the jerseys alone! ;-)

BBB
04-01-2016, 01:11 AM
sorry, check your notes...La Vie Claire was THE team...1986 TdF: 1st, 2nd, 4th on GC. Polka-dot Jersey (mountains). White Jersey (young rider). Team GC.

PDM was indeed pretty sweet, but La Vie Claire...hell, just lookit the jerseys alone! ;-)

I think they got 7th on GC too in 1986. Let's not forget 1st and 2nd in 1985 too.

FlashUNC
04-01-2016, 03:52 AM
This post is going to look a tad silly if Tommeke pulls Flanders or Roubaix. And Dan Martin snags another LBL in the next couple months.

laupsi
04-01-2016, 05:05 AM
I liked the Mapei teams that featured the likes of Tafi and Museeuw, real "hard" men. Then again, they had the best "program" then as well!

El Chaba
04-01-2016, 06:17 AM

Lance wanted him out of the team.

wallymann
04-01-2016, 06:35 AM
Lance wanted him out of the team.

this. boonen was too good, too ambitious -- he bought his way out of his postal contract IIRC if that's any indication.

velomonkey
04-01-2016, 07:52 AM
This post is going to look a tad silly if Tommeke pulls Flanders or Roubaix. And Dan Martin snags another LBL in the next couple months.

That's my hope. Tommeke is bar none my favorite and I'm rooting for him. Saw him a bunch at worlds - the dude is looking more fit than ever before.