PDA

View Full Version : OT: RIP, Zaha Hadid

livingminimal
03-31-2016, 02:17 PM
I am not an architect, but I became a big fan of her style, both in creating structures (or art) and her eccentricity...her story was compelling too. Great profile of her in the New Yorker a few years ago really turned me on to her work. She was only 65 and I imagine had more to offer....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/01/arts/design/zaha-hadid-architect-dies.html?smtyp=cur

cadence90
03-31-2016, 02:21 PM
I am, and today is a sad day.
She was an amazing talent and force.
Thank you for posting.

buldogge
03-31-2016, 02:27 PM
So sad...Such a talent...Only 65.

R.I.P.

-Mark in St. Louis
I was an architecture grad, a long time ago, in what seems like a different age...

rnhood
03-31-2016, 02:34 PM
Never heard of her but 65 is a bit young to be checking out. Condolences to her family. Always nice to read about someone's accomplishments and apparently she had plenty.

livingminimal
03-31-2016, 02:49 PM
The New Yorker article from 2009 that first turned me on to her.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/12/21/the-abstractionist

I like ground-breakers, visionaries, and I really love it when women burst through the glass ceiling of any male-dominated industry, like architecture.

cadence90
03-31-2016, 03:00 PM
While so many "paper architects" of the Deconstructivist era fell by the wayside when they tried to build actual buildings, she did not, and in fact improved her work. I respected her immensely for that.

A tenacious spirit and very, very powerful personality. She could both light up or wither a room like few that I have encountered.

paredown
03-31-2016, 03:04 PM
We got to visit her Phaeno Museum of Science in Wolfsburg, and the new BMW factory in Leipzig while we lived there.

Both were way cool--the BMW factory has the assembly line snaking through the offices, and the Phaeno was the best interactive museum I have seen.

She was one of my favorite architects--pushing the boundaries, running up the costs, but delivering fabulous buildings.

65 seems way too young to lose such a talent.