PDA

View Full Version : Lemond a fat old guy now? . . .

BumbleBeeDave
06-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Several weeks ago I saw something in here about Greg Lemond being old and out of shape now. Here's a pic that was on the PEZ cycling web site from the press tour for his new carbon frame--the same tour where the other photos were taken that led people to speculat about how old and out of shape he had become.

He still looks pretty fit from what I can see! . . .

BBD

Big Dan
06-16-2006, 11:43 AM
I think he can still drop me like a rock.......... :eek:

bcm119
06-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Fit for something, maybe not cycling.... wrestling? Bouncer?

BumbleBeeDave
06-16-2006, 12:05 PM
. . . TOUGH crowd! ;)

BBD

Fixed
06-16-2006, 12:19 PM
bro looks like he has a gap on the cats behind him
cheers

zeroking17
06-16-2006, 12:22 PM
Greg LeMond has always been a cycling hero of mine. Always will be.

Apparently some of us don't believe they're living in glass houses.

BoulderGeek
06-16-2006, 12:23 PM
I saw Greg speak in Boulder about two years ago.

He was a Chunky Monkey.

And, unfortunately, everything he had to say seemed like an ad for LeMond bicycles.

It was like listening to a chubby Steve Jobs.

We all left the theater shaking our heads and wondering who let Greg have so many Twinkies.

I'll happily take a Tete du Course from him, though.

And, yes, as a certified Fat Bastard, my house is 100% glass.

Bill Bove
06-16-2006, 12:25 PM
His fat was bought and paid for on the slopes of Mt. Ventoux and the Alpe d'Huez :banana: An old, fat LeMond is still a three time tour winner.

Fixed
06-16-2006, 12:27 PM
amen b.b. bro

catulle
06-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Cyclists and boxers put on weight the moment they stop competing. IŽd guess it has something to do with fighting so hard to keep the weight down for so long.

Frankwurst
06-16-2006, 12:33 PM
His fat was bought and paid for on the slopes of Mt. Ventoux and the Alpe d'Huez :banana: An old, fat LeMond is still a three time tour winner.
Thanks Bill He could probably still hand a huge percentage of cyclists their arse on any given day. Not young and fast and strong anymore...I think they call that retirement.I meet all the criteria but still have to get up and go to work. :beer:

manet
06-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Fit for something, maybe not cycling.... wrestling? Bouncer?

makes for better river wading

JohnS
06-16-2006, 12:37 PM
I didn't hear this invective when Eddy ballooned or what Bernie H. looks like every year on the podium of the TDF.

Frog Hair
06-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I rode with Greg two summers ago and with Bob Roll as well (seperate rides). While Greg looked a little worse for the wear, neither of them looked like they'd fair well for a climb up a flight of stairs. Both of them spanked, schooled, dropped, dissed, demoralized, humiliated, desecrated and slapped me around like a...
And I was a well rounded "cat-2" that year. Those boys legs have not forgotton how to turn a crank, I don't care how fat they look. :bike:

BoulderGeek
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
I rode with Greg two summers ago and with Bob Roll as well (seperate rides). While Greg looked a little worse for the wear, neither of them looked like they'd fair well for a climb up a flight of stairs. Both of them spanked, schooled, dropped, dissed, demoralized, humiliated, desecrated and slapped me around like a...
And I was a well rounded "cat-2" that year. Those boys legs have not forgotton how to turn a crank, I don't care how fat they look. :bike:

That's hilarious, Frog. I laughed out loud.

Thanks for relaying that lesson. I had no doubt that was the case. But, it's fun to hear from someone who has been there.

In the book "French Revolutions" the author said soemthing about meeting the senior Mr. "Cannibal" Merckx. He said, simply, "...to my dismay, Fast Eddy has lost an 's'."

Bill Bove
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
I think that the best thing in that picture is LeMond's smile. The guy may not ride like he did once but he still enjoys it :banana:

manet
06-16-2006, 12:57 PM
I think that the best thing in that picture is LeMond's smile. The guy may not ride did once but he still enjoys it :banana:

agreed _ he's trying to laugh his @ss off...
i heart greg
hey _ thanks for understanding

Fat Robert
06-16-2006, 12:59 PM
he's fat

he also still has most of the metabolism of a three-time tour winner

so

he's fat and faster than most cat 2s

btw -- we went through all this before. summary. greg is fat. roche is fat. delgado is fat. criqueilion is short and fat. fignon is french and fat. all the other guys their age are fat. you are also fat. and we are fat together. some fat guys are faster than others -- namely, the same guys who were fast when we were not fat. some fat guys make really good bikes. like greg.

manet
06-16-2006, 01:04 PM
http://www.comedium.nl/images/uploads/eros_gastronomique_thumb.jpg

JohnS
06-16-2006, 01:05 PM
he's fat

so

btw -- we went through all this before. summary. greg is fat. roche is fat. delgado is fat. criqueilion is short and fat. fignon is french and fat. all the other guys their age are fat. you are also fat. and we are fat together. some fat guys are faster than others -- namely, the same guys who were fast when we were not fat. some fat guys make really good bikes. like greg.
I'm not fat...just really slow. :(

BoulderGeek
06-16-2006, 01:12 PM
he's fat

so

OMG, thatis the funniest thing I've heard today!

Well put.

catulle
06-16-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not fat...just really slow. :(

Hell, I'm fat and slow, atmo. But then, Socrates was fat and slow too. :banana:

cpg
06-16-2006, 01:43 PM
I predict Lance will look the same way in 15 years. I saw a recent picture of him in Outside or some sort of rag. Lance has already put some weight on. And that's the way it should be. The public remembers these guys at the height of their fitness and prime and expect them to stay that way. It just doesn't happen. Lance has a similar body to Greg. Lance has broad shoulders and will likely bulk up. This is in no way a rip on him although it will be sort of funny because upon his retirement he made fun of ex-pros putting on weight. My prediction is that he will wish he hadn't said as much.

Curt

Fixed
06-16-2006, 01:46 PM
i read L.A. has put 15 pounds on and that is with him running .
cheers

Ken Robb
06-16-2006, 02:15 PM
I think Lance was bigger in the upper body before the cancer ordeal. When he came back for whatever reason his upper body did not get as big as before and that was probably good for his riding. I'll be surprised if he doesn't carry an extra 20-30 pounds well in retirement.

bcm119
06-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Greg LeMond has always been a cycling hero of mine. Always will be.

Apparently some of us don't believe they're living in glass houses.

I assume this was directed at me... lighten up. :banana: I have no doubts this guy could school me any day on a bicycle, he's greg freakin' lemond.... all I said was that he could probably toss me out of a bar and school me in the parking lot too... he's put some muscle on. I thought this was a place for light hearted musings, apparently not. :confused:

zeroking17
06-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I assume this was directed at me... lighten up. :banana: I have no doubts this guy could school me any day on a bicycle, he's greg freakin' lemond.... all I said was that he could probably toss me out of a bar and school me in the parking lot too... he's put some muscle on. I thought this was a place for light hearted musings, apparently not. :confused:

Point made. Point taken. Btw I've been trying to lighten up for years.

P.S. Hey, maybe we both should lighten up. :banana: :banana:

Samster
06-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Several weeks ago I saw something in here about Greg Lemond being old and out of shape now. Here's a pic that was on the PEZ cycling web site from the press tour for his new carbon frame--the same tour where the other photos were taken that led people to speculat about how old and out of shape he had become.

BBD

he sorta reminds me of bill clinton... in looks only.

bcm119
06-16-2006, 04:33 PM
P.S. Hey, maybe we both should lighten up. :banana: :banana:

"Agreed-issimo". :beer:

flydhest
06-16-2006, 04:57 PM
delgado is fat.

this ought to be very funny for spanish speakers.

catulle
06-16-2006, 06:37 PM
this ought to be very funny for spanish speakers.

Yup, Doc Robert is pretty funny sometimes, atmo. Sometimes, I said, atmo. :no:

Fat Robert
06-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Yup, Doc Robert is pretty funny sometimes, atmo. Sometimes, I said, atmo. :no:

yeah

my percentage is low

but I rack up the shots on goal

yim
06-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Whatever how they look now.

Avispa
06-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Cyclists and boxers put on weight the moment they stop competing. IŽd guess it has something to do with fighting so hard to keep the weight down for so long.

Cat,

Eddy the Cannibal, said that the problem with pro cyclists is that when they retire: they stop riding like pros, but they don't stop eating like pros!

;)

BumbleBeeDave
06-17-2006, 12:00 AM
.. . when I started this thread, was that yeah, Lemond has gained weight. But some of the comments I had seen in the earlier thread made it sound like he had ballooned up to blimp size. Has he gained weight? Yeah. but if you just saw a pic of him now, but had never seen the pics of him at skinny, underfed, "proper" cycling weight, would you still think he's "fat" now? Probably not. It just seemd to me from that riding pic that he has put on some weight, but the awesome cycling muscles are still under there, and he could most likely smoke ANYBODY on this forum in short order . . . :eek:

BBD

whippettanker
06-18-2006, 01:16 AM
I was in line to get on a Northwest flight the other day in Minneapolis.

The guy in front of me was in a dark grey suit.

I noticed he had GIGANTIC thighs. Hadn't seen thighs like that since Eric Heiden.

My guess, over 24".

I think he could snap a chain stay without try'n.

classic1
06-18-2006, 06:15 AM

BBD With that grey jersey on Lemond looks like one of those big scary East German sprinters from the 80's. Michael Huebner or Lutz Hesslich.

Frustration
06-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Not to give anything away, But a line from Greg at that ride...

"I know I look big,

I'll look smaller to you in a minute"

ABSOFUGINLOOTLY PRICELESS.