PDA

View Full Version : For the Love of Eroica!

Steve in SLO
03-30-2016, 07:48 PM
I am midway through complete disassembly and shining up my 1974 California Masi Gran Criterium in preparation for showing it in the concours at l'Eroica on April 8.

It will be in the non-restored category, and part of me was wanting to just enter it all sweaty and grimy from years of use, but a friend of mine who is entering an identical bike layed the guilt on, so off I went deep into the world of toothbrushes, Q-tips, toothpicks, and mineral spirits.

It's coming along nicely, but I got tired of huffing mineral spirits and needed to take a break. The worst part is going to be the original Martano wheels which have a lovely "patina" consisting of yellowish varnish and spiderwebs in the spokes. It's going to be a bit of a trick to clean them well, since I don't want to touch the tires for fear I will either stain them or they will fall apart.

Here's a quick shot of the components I have finished. Still floors me that I actually spent almost an hour per caliper getting them clean and nice... who has that kind of time? Good thing I raced Porsches instead of getting into the concours thing.

I still need to take apart the pedals and do a quick once over on the frame and headset before the assembly. It's nice that I have a bike in original condition it was very well cared as a starting point.

More later when I get time.

numbskull
03-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Happiness is pre-CPSC Campy.

EPOJoe
03-31-2016, 08:43 PM
Is this the bike you're going to ride? It would be a shame to do all that work and then charge onto those dirt roads afterward!

rccardr
03-31-2016, 08:50 PM
Are you going to ride that, or just display it?

Steve in SLO
03-31-2016, 09:28 PM
Im going to display then ride. My buddy with the matching bike and I will be displaying the bikes side-by-side. They are shown in the thread below:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=113659&highlight=Masi+gran

numbskull
04-01-2016, 06:04 AM
Further evidence that the descent of modern man is directly related to disappearance of cable clamps.

AngryScientist
04-01-2016, 06:50 AM
It's going to be a bit of a trick to clean them well, since I don't want to touch the tires for fear I will either stain them or they will fall apart.

Im going to display then ride

careful riding those old tires steve! or maybe you will switch wheelsets for the actual ride?

tiretrax
04-01-2016, 07:07 AM
Wow - that's beautiful. What a find. Like old cars, the best old bikes are in California barns (ok, garages).

Steve in SLO
04-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Angry,
There's no way I am riding the tires that were on there. I am switching to clinchers for the ride, but the wheels are original to the bike so they will be on it for the concours.

Michael Maddox
04-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Totally bummed that I will be missing it this year. My 75 Peugeot PY-10 will be spending the year hanging on my office wall. Sighhhhhh

verbs4us
04-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Ride the sucker! Here I'm about to take on a century in Vermont on my 1974 Gran Crit. I was almost the only guy on steel and guys in would say "is that a 100-year-old bike for a 100-mile ride?" Yes, and when I bust a tube, I get a new one brazed in and when you bust a tube, you get a whole new frame.

thirdgenbird
04-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Are they lax on aero routing?
http://www.cycleexif.com/eddy-merckx-corsa

choke
04-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Are they lax on aero routing?
http://www.cycleexif.com/eddy-merckx-corsaFrom the article - "Preparations are already being made, and for Brian, it will just mean attaching clips to the pedals and swapping the brake levers back to the non-aero units."

thirdgenbird
04-01-2016, 03:12 PM
I have no idea how I missed that. I remember the pedal bit. Thanks :)

texbike
04-01-2016, 04:24 PM
I am midway through complete disassembly and shining up my 1974 California Masi Gran Criterium in preparation for showing it in the concours at l'Eroica on April 8.

It will be in the non-restored category, and part of me was wanting to just enter it all sweaty and grimy from years of use, but a friend of mine who is entering an identical bike layed the guilt on, so off I went deep into the world of toothbrushes, Q-tips, toothpicks, and mineral spirits.

It's coming along nicely, but I got tired of huffing mineral spirits and needed to take a break. The worst part is going to be the original Martano wheels which have a lovely "patina" consisting of yellowish varnish and spiderwebs in the spokes. It's going to be a bit of a trick to clean them well, since I don't want to touch the tires for fear I will either stain them or they will fall apart.

Here's a quick shot of the components I have finished. Still floors me that I actually spent almost an hour per caliper getting them clean and nice... who has that kind of time? Good thing I raced Porsches instead of getting into the concours thing.

I still need to take apart the pedals and do a quick once over on the frame and headset before the assembly. It's nice that I have a bike in original condition it was very well cared as a starting point.

More later when I get time.

Wow! The parts look great. I completely disassembled my '75 GC 2 years ago and did the same thing. Cleaned and waxed the frame, applied framesaver, soaked and scrubbed the parts in Simple Green (the parts came out looking fantastic!), regreased and reassembled everything, and finished it off with new tape/cables/brake blocks/tubes and tires. I used a couple of small brass brushes on the spokes, rims, and eyelets.

Have fun at the event. I'm jealous! It looks like it will be a blast, and Masi is the featured marque, correct?

Texbike

Steve in SLO
04-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Texbike, my hands are still a bit sore. Masi is indeed the featured marque, and some of the Masi folks will be there from Italy. It'll be interesting to see if they look askance at the CA Masis at the concourse. There is also special showing of Breaking Away during the weekend.
Unfortunately, unless something miraculous happens, I will only be able to do the 40 mile route, since I haven't been on my bike more than two days this past month, and only have one day to ride before l'Eroica :(

Frankwurst
04-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Years ago (the 70's) when I was much poorer than I am now and raced and rode and learned via magizines I lusted for a Masi or DeRosa. I'm now older, don't race and can't do one justice but still love the way those bikes look. They were the real deal. Yours is beautiful. Enjoy the ride.:beer:
P.S. they make oderless mineral spirits.

rccardr
04-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Good to hear you're going to at least ride it for a little while.

Shipped my Cinelli out yesterday from Virginia and am looking forward to joining it in Paso Robles for a couple of lovely rides on our version of Strada Bianca!

Steve in SLO
04-08-2016, 11:45 PM
Ready to go to the concours!

cachagua
04-09-2016, 12:35 AM
Beautiful.

That is the authentic freewheel, too, isn't it? We don' need no steenkin'' twenty-eight teeth!

Have a great time, I'm sure that you will.

Steve in SLO
04-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Thanks, and yes it is a 14–18 5 speed corncob.

54ny77
04-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Steve have a GREAT time on that GREAT bike!

Was recently visiting SLO a couple months ago. You are very fortunate to be living in my favorite place in the U.S.! Brought the bike, went on some familiar roads....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160221_091319781_zpsu9s7ofwk.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/jpmz06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160221_091319781_zpsu9s7ofwk.jpg.html)

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z113/jpmz06/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160221_075859477_zps18v6wokz.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/user/jpmz06/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160221_075859477_zps18v6wokz.jpg.html)

ripvanrando
04-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Beautiful Masi there. Inspiring....

I have a 63cm 1972 Italian built Masi in the same/similar color that I dragged down from the attic and am getting it ready to ride. I wish my well worn, battle scarred frame was as nice as yours. It has been 30 years and I wonder if it rides as nice as I remember. Just waiting on the arrival of some Veloflex VLAANDERENs. First time I have been excited about a bicycle in ages. Somehow I doubt it will match my new rides but who know.

numbskull
04-09-2016, 03:12 PM
First time I have been excited about a bicycle in ages. Somehow I doubt it will match my new rides but who know.

It will be a bit slower....but your smile 10x bigger. Have fun.

Duende
04-09-2016, 03:41 PM
I take out my '82 Ciocc out every few months. It's utterly enjoyable and I've never once wished I had my modern bike instead when I'm out.

Eroica is twice as big this year, if not more. The bike show today was truly amazing. Way more vendors present. And more Masi's than you can imagine.

Steve in SLO
04-10-2016, 01:07 AM
Hey 54…
That signpost is like a mile from my house. Glad you got back to your old stomping grounds

rccardr
04-10-2016, 07:45 AM
Steve, did you take a concours podium last night? We could hardly hear the guy announcing the winners...

Steve in SLO
04-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Yes I did. I took second place in the unrestored category behind the Confente that also won best in show, so not too shabby.
My friend Larry also got best Bianchi in show for his 1949 Cambio Corsa. The prize was a huge magnum of Bianchi wine.
Will post a few pictures after the ride today.