PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Home Arkansas

johnniecakes
03-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Anybody here in the Mountain Home Arkansas area? I have visited for business a few times but never got the chance to explore much. It seems at first glance like a really nice area to retire in. Wonder what it is like to live there. Since it will be for just the wife and me we have no need for schooling. Interested in weather, cost of living and general attitude of the community. I know there are 2 sizeable lakes close by with some trails around them.

johnniecakes
03-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Anybody?

eddief
03-30-2016, 07:04 PM
The median home price is $115,000.

efaust_o
03-30-2016, 07:10 PM
I live in Fayetteville, ~ 120 miles west. Not many cyclist in that area that I'm aware of. Trail system is somewhat underdeveloped. Retirement cost of living is good. Area low on crime. There is a very small university branch there. Weather is very mlld 1-2 accumulated snowfalls a year. That can very though, we essentially had none this year. Area is known as trout fishing capital due to the tail waters of the two lakes you mentioned. Most of the good riding, trail system and like-minded people are in my neck of the woods. IM MEECH Cycles(on this forum). I believe he lives in that area and should be able to communicate all about cycling scene in Mt. Home.
Ed

HenryA
03-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Great trout fishing as mentioned and some best anywhere small stream smallmouth bass.

"Can't get there from here" factor is pretty high. It's a bit of a drive to get to a major airport, but you may not care about that.

sandyrs
03-30-2016, 07:40 PM
I believe Dimitri Harris of Meech Bicycles makes his, er, home in Mountain Home. You could always try him via PM on the forum or email.

Tickdoc
03-30-2016, 08:10 PM
I'm headed there tomorrow for a fishing trip ( and bringing a bike :-)

Beautiful country.

regularguy412
03-30-2016, 08:14 PM
I believe Dimitri Harris of Meech Bicycles makes his, er, home in Mountain Home. You could always try him via PM on the forum or email.

D. lived up there for several years, but is now back in JBO. Still building bikes a little. Rode with him quite a bit last year. Great guy. Known him a LONGGGGG time. He could prolly tell you bout the best riding up in that area. I've ridden around up there in the distant past but did very little of it, actually. Plenny of hills.

MIke in AR:beer: