PDA

View Full Version : WORLD CUP SPOILER - Argentina vs. Serbia & Montenegro

Tom Byrnes
06-16-2006, 09:58 AM
WOW!! 6 - 0 Argentina was awesome today!! Best looking team, so far.

MallyG
06-16-2006, 10:01 AM
They were very good - but let's remember who they were playing.

ada@prorider.or
06-16-2006, 10:06 AM
and you know who the referee was !???

Tom Byrnes
06-16-2006, 10:10 AM
True, Serbia & Montenegro seemed to give up, especially in the second half. However, Argentina's quick, crisp passing was so impressive irrespective of the lack of challenges from Serbia & Montenegro.

To have a team so strong that players like Tevez and Messi are substitutes!!

It appeared to me as though Argentina could have beat any team today.

MallyG
06-16-2006, 10:17 AM
agreed. they've got a great squad. The second games are always interesting.

djg
06-16-2006, 10:21 AM
An undistinguished opponent that folded completely, but they have tons of talent and are playing well together, no doubt about it. I don't think that any team has looked better in this cup so far. Some pretty goals today.

Heck, they could field a scary under 21 side.

Fat Robert
06-16-2006, 10:31 AM
man

they're so good that they beat two teams at once, serbia and montenegro? 11 on 22?

that's pretty awesome

Climb01742
06-16-2006, 10:46 AM

hey, mally, what is the english press saying about england's performances so far? the team doesn't seem to be clicking yet. their play seems uninspired. the second round could be tough unless something changes, no?

Ozz
06-16-2006, 03:27 PM
WOW!! 6 - 0 Argentina was awesome today!! Best looking team, so far.
I saw the first half...they did look good. Almost as good as Spain! ;)

MallyG
06-17-2006, 01:21 PM
hey, mally, what is the english press saying about england's performances so far? the team doesn't seem to be clicking yet. their play seems uninspired. the second round could be tough unless something changes, no?

The press here has been pretty critical so far, more of the manner in which England are playing rather than the results themselves. There has been a huge amount of column inches devoted to the World Cup in general and our team in particular - overall we are fairly sceptical of our chances of actually winning the trophy (40 years of hurt etc etc..) Much has been made of Sven's squad selection, particulary including Theo Walcott (17 years old, yet to play a game in the premiership) at the expense of Defoe. Controversy has also surrounded Wayne Rooney, who came on like the nation's saviour on Thursday after 57 minutes to replace the out-of-sorts Michael Owen. However, the real revelation that afternoon (no surprise to Spurs fans) was Aaron Lennon, whose pace, energy and ability to take players on set the game alight. Many amongst the press are calling for him to be promoted to the starting lineup, possibly moving Beckham (sven is unlikely to drop him) to full back.
As you know, our newspapers are fickle in the extreme and are extremely quick to criticise, but I think they have been pretty accurate so far. They were also glowing in their praise of Argentina this morning, elevating them to favourites to win the Cup.
At heart, we love to see creative, attractive, attacking football that takes your breath away. The Premiership is arguably the best domestic league in the world, a stage for many of those players who are performing so well in Germany for their own nations. However, as a team, England seem once again to be perrenial under-achievers, despite having some of the best individual players in the world.

Anyway, I'm off to watch USA v Italy now....

catulle
06-17-2006, 01:34 PM
I saw the first half...they did look good. Almost as good as Spain! ;)

There you go...!! Actually, if the Spanish have learned to be consistent, they'd have a great chance to take the Cup, atmo.

inGobwetrust
06-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Spain will choke..... as usual. Argentina or Brazil, who's it going to be?

Ozz
06-17-2006, 04:18 PM
we'll see! :cool:

catulle
06-17-2006, 04:29 PM

GO ORANGE...!!

obtuse
06-17-2006, 10:15 PM

yeah, the country that produced some of the best players in the world for what at one time was the best club team in the world, red star belgrade. don't knock yugoslavian soccer. they choked; but it shows more about how great argentina is than how bad yugoslavia is.

obtuse

mihajlo
06-17-2006, 11:51 PM
every time i hear the mention of red star it brings back memories of sitting in the stands and watching bayern munich come to the marakana...those were different times.

anyway, most in serbia are a bit embarrassed by the quality showing of "our" team. all be it we were out matched in every facet of the game. a better argentina showed us how to play football.

MallyG
06-18-2006, 04:52 PM
yeah, the country that produced some of the best players in the world for what at one time was the best club team in the world, red star belgrade. don't knock yugoslavian soccer. they choked; but it shows more about how great argentina is than how bad yugoslavia is.

obtuse

I was talking about the CURRENT Serbia/Montenegro team.