PDA

View Full Version : Conti GP 4000

LegendRider
06-16-2006, 09:51 AM
I keep seeing the GP 4000 on sale or closeout - why is a relatively new and popular tire on sale so frequently? Is a new tire already scheduled to replace it?

alancw3
06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
i don't pretend to know but with the economy the way it is and a msrp of like $62.95 i can understand why there is discounting. i have used the tires for about 1000 miles now and can say that i will buy again. i just hope they are still on sale. i think biketiresdirect.com had them for like 45.95 if you bought four. i think bike tires have gotten rediculusly expensive over the past two years. eco 101 supply and demand!

LegendRider
06-16-2006, 10:09 AM
i don't pretend to know but with the economy the way it is and a msrp of like $62.95 i can understand why there is discounting. i have used the tires for about 1000 miles now and can say that i will buy again. i just hope they are still on sale. i think biketiresdirect.com had them for like 45.95 if you bought four. i think bike tires have gotten rediculusly expensive over the past two years. eco 101 supply and demand!

I bought 4 from probikekit.com for $117 including shipping. They were grey/silver which appears to be the most commonly discounted color.

Bradford
06-16-2006, 10:16 AM
It is probably just an MSRP that is way to high. Biketiresdirect was selling them at a discount as soon as they were available, so I don't think it is connected with any model changes.

Love mine, hope they stay around for years.

alancw3
06-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I bought 4 from probikekit.com for $117 including shipping. They were grey/silver which appears to be the most commonly discounted color.
glad to hear. i will difinitely check them out before i buy agian! thanks for the tip!

Erik.Lazdins
06-16-2006, 10:35 AM
How long do the rears last in this tire? Just curious I'm looking at getting out of the Michelins as my fingers cannot handle mounting them on my Eurus. Michelins on a Eurus is a tighter fit than I would like.

Thanks,

Erik

SoCalSteve
06-16-2006, 11:23 AM
How long do the rears last in this tire? Just curious I'm looking at getting out of the Michelins as my fingers cannot handle mounting them on my Eurus. Michelins on a Eurus is a tighter fit than I would like.

Thanks,

Erik

Its not the tire thats the problem. Its the rim. Campy rims are MP to mount ANY tire on. I have Michelins on all my wheels (Open Pro, CXP30, DT R 1.1, Velocity Aeroheads and Fusions.etc...) and the Michelins (Pro Race2's) mount just fine on all of them. The DT's being the hardest and the Velocity's being the easiest.

Good luck!

Steve

LegendRider
06-16-2006, 11:33 AM

Thanks,

Erik

Don't know yet - haven't had to replace a GP 4000 yet. It appears to be normal for a clincher so far. I've got 1,000 - 1,200 miles on them and they show wear but nothing excessive. They are also more resistant to cuts than Michelin ProRace 2's in my opinion.

Birddog
06-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Michelins on a Eurus is a tighter fit than I would like.
I've found that the easiest tires to mount on Campy rims are Vredesteins and Vittorios. Continentals were some of the most difficult.

Birddog

Ken Robb
06-16-2006, 01:57 PM
I just got an email from performance with them in the $40-something range.

Sandy
06-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Total Cycling has them for about $36 and Competitive Cyclist has them for about $38, if I remember correctly. They are 700x23. CritUSA's price was about $40 each if you bought 3 or more. I was going to use Danny at CritUSA but he only had 700x23 also.

:) Sandy :)

Sandy
06-16-2006, 05:53 PM
I bought 4 Continental GP 4000 tires two days ago. I have done 2 rides, of about 30 miles each, thus far, with them. I bought the 700x25 tires. I had recently tried the Michelin Pro2Race 700x25 tires and did not like them at all, unlike what most people say.

I have inflated 700x23 tires as high as 145 psi. My most recent 700x25 tires were inflated to 120 rear and 115 front. The max on the 700x25 Continental GP 4000 is 120psi, and the recommended is 95 psi. I am using, for now, 95 f and 105 rear. I never thought that I would ever ride with tires at such low psi.

Anyway, thus far I love the tires, much more so than any that I have tried, including Veloflex Pave, Vittoria Open Corsa CX, and Open Corsa EVO KX. They seem to have it all (in 60 miles)- A very comfortable ride, excellent handling, with a front tire that sticks to the road, more so than any tire that I recall using (width, psi ??). You seem to be able to lean the bike easier than with the 700x23 tires. I have never used a tire that is so comfortable on somewhat harsh road surfaces- a very noticeable difference compared to other tires. Don't know about durability or puncture resistance, but I believe that both will be excellent. I found the GP 3000 to be very puncture resistant (as long as the sidewall did not get cut) and durable. I also found the tires to roll very well, and I was impressed by the speeds that I could reach with such low psi. I really think that the larger tires are the way to go.

I think (60 miles) that the Continental GP 4000 tires are going to be a real winner.

:banana: Tired Sandy :banana:

Don
06-16-2006, 07:04 PM
What didn't you like about the Michelin ProRace 2 tires? And, at what pressure did you inflate them when you road them? Thanks. Don

Sandy
06-16-2006, 09:32 PM
What didn't you like about the Michelin ProRace 2 tires? And, at what pressure did you inflate them when you road them? Thanks. Don

The Michelin Pro2Race tires were 700x25. The min on the tires is 82 psi. The max 102 psi. I used 92 f and 102 rear. I found that the tires seemed to bounce. Maybe I had the wrong psi for my weight (220). I found the tendency for the tire to bounce over irregular road surfaces to be disconcerting. I actually called customer service at Michelin (USA) and the lady said that my complaint was the first that she had received about a bouncing problem. I believe Smiley's 700x25 Pro2Race tires did the same thing. He wound up lowering the psi. I was told to lower the psi and I was also told to raise the psi. By bounce, I mean for the tire to move vertically a small amount like a tiny tennis ball. I know that I am the exception relative to the Michelin tires, but that is how I found them.

The Former Michelin Man