PDA

View Full Version : How do I know when my Ergos need a rebuild?

icepick_trotsky
03-30-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm pretty new to the Ergo scene, and have been using them on my Mercian build for about 3 or 4 months now. They're 10 speed Daytona, circa 2000, and I bought them well used.

The shifting is . . . not great. They frequently miss shifts and occasionally shift two cogs with two cogs with one click. This most frequently happens when I'm into a larger cog, especially near the middle of the cassette. Is the problem with the shifters, or is the culprit somewhere else in the drivetrain? I've cleaned and lubed the rear derailleur, which helped a lot, and there doesn't seem to be excess friction anywhere in the cables.

thirdgenbird
03-30-2016, 09:17 AM
Does the thumb lever feel soft and vague or does it gave a positive click feel/sound?

icepick_trotsky
03-30-2016, 09:18 AM
I always get a positive click with the thumb and the finger button. No issues there.

icepick_trotsky
03-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Could dropout alignment be the culprit? Its a 30 year old frame, and I never properly cold set it for 130mm spacing.

thirdgenbird
03-30-2016, 09:34 AM
If the shifter is giving solid and positive clicks, the springs and carrier should be fine.

Derailleur hanger alignment, cable routing, or a loose cassette locking could be a cause. Do either of the derailleur pivots feel worn or sloppy? We are dealing with a matched group correct? 10spd ergos, rd, chain and a campy spaced cassette?

icepick_trotsky
03-30-2016, 09:50 AM
If the shifter is giving solid and positive clicks, the springs and carrier should be fine.

Derailleur hanger alignment, cable routing, or a loose cassette locking could be a cause. Do either of the derailleur pivots feel worn or sloppy? We are dealing with a matched group correct? 10spd ergos, rd, chain and a campy spaced cassette?

It's a KMC chain, but other than that it's a matched 10 speed campy group. Could the chain be the culprit? Derailleur pivots feels good, and I've double checked my cable routing. Alignment to be examined next.

mktng
03-30-2016, 09:52 AM
definitely check out alignment + rd hanger alignment.

sounds like the shifter is working fine. you'll definitely know when it needs to be rebuilt. reasons...others have mentioned.

thirdgenbird
03-30-2016, 09:56 AM
The kmc chain is fine. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an 8spd chain or something. I would check the hanger and verify lock ring torque. I bought a wheelset with a cassette and it shifted poorly. I finally took the cassette off and reinstalled it and it was fine.

You may also want to check the spacers. They are not all the same.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2016, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty new to the Ergo scene, and have been using them on my Mercian build for about 3 or 4 months now. They're 10 speed Daytona, circa 2000, and I bought them well used.

The shifting is . . . not great. They frequently miss shifts and occasionally shift two cogs with two cogs with one click. This most frequently happens when I'm into a larger cog, especially near the middle of the cassette. Is the problem with the shifters, or is the culprit somewhere else in the drivetrain? I've cleaned and lubed the rear derailleur, which helped a lot, and there doesn't seem to be excess friction anywhere in the cables.

Send them to me and I'll OVH, clean, repair, lube. May be a broken spring carrier, not uncommon.

nalax
03-31-2016, 10:37 PM
Sent my old Centaur 10 speed shifter to Old Potato on Saturday. It came back today(Thursday) working like new. Well worth it!

oldpotatoe
04-01-2016, 05:33 AM
Sent my old Centaur 10 speed shifter to Old Potato on Saturday. It came back today(Thursday) working like new. Well worth it!

Thanks for the pitch..I have all the parts these days for older ERGO, as well as newer Ultrashift.

Veloo
04-01-2016, 06:16 AM
So OP, I'm curious what the problem was.

drewellison
04-01-2016, 11:45 AM
After you have oldpotatoe overhaul/rebuild your ergos, please please please put on new cables and housing.

I had one bike with a particular shifting hang up, where it would often not shift, then shift two times in the same cog in the same direction. I did everything I could think of (rebuild, new pulleys, alignment, lube lube lube, etc.). Then I finally put on new cables and voila! Nice shifting now.