PDA

View Full Version : Mt Vernon Trail to DC

gmonster
03-29-2016, 08:41 PM
I want to ride the Mt. Vernon Trail to DC and see the Cherry Blossoms... am I fine going on skinny road tires and is it safe to lock your bike up in DC to walk around?

Any other thoughts?

rounder
03-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Others will probably chime in who know way more than me.

I would do it. The Cherry Blossom Festival is on. I believe that Rock Creek Park goes from Maryland down to Mount Vernon. I believe you can do it on skinny tires. I would not leave a Colnago or any other bike left alone there without a chain, but if you have one, you should be fine. It should be a pretty ride. Good luck.

ultraman6970
03-29-2016, 09:11 PM
Never done that trail but I think its fully paved.

slowgoing
03-29-2016, 09:19 PM
Yes, paved the whole way.

It's a hilly ride near Mt Vernon, mostly rollers, but not bad, and flattens out towards DC. It can have a lot of leaves and dirt on it, so not perfect traction. It is also narrow so be careful of oncoming traffic and passing. You will also have to ride surface streets through Alexandria.

I don't think you'll have to worry about riding back because you'll be bikeless soon after you lock it up.

makoti
03-29-2016, 09:41 PM
Paved. Fine on narrow tires. As noted, can be slick in spots (leaves, roots, wooden bridges, a few tight corners). If you choose a nice day, lots of foot traffic the closer you get to the city. Old Town Alexandria is on streets, and can be busy, but everyone expects bikes so it's not bad. Getting to the Tidal Basin can be tricky, but very possible. All in all, a nice ride.
Locking your bike up? Yes, you can. Will it be there when you get back? That's the hope. Lock it up next to some that are not. That should help. They won't waste the time on yours. Personally, I'd keep it with me. Lots of people posting about stolen bikes lately.

ultraman6970
03-29-2016, 09:44 PM
Hope this dude is not allergic to pollen, that's the only reason I dont go to DC.

Ken Robb
03-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Hope this dude is not allergic to pollen, that's the only reason I dont go to DC.

Well, that AND you lost in the primaries. :p

ultraman6970
03-29-2016, 10:55 PM
?? :) Ops i got it :D lost in translation as usual :D

echappist
03-30-2016, 06:53 AM
hills and rollers are non-issues. the wind is something else. half of the time it feels like you are in the Netherlands

palincss
03-30-2016, 07:14 AM
I want to ride the Mt. Vernon Trail to DC and see the Cherry Blossoms... am I fine going on skinny road tires and is it safe to lock your bike up in DC to walk around?

Any other thoughts?

You're too late.

Gummee
03-30-2016, 08:58 AM

I don't go because of all the lookee-loos. Dangerous riding when everyone's craning their necks to look at the pretty trees.

BTDT

I'd come from the other way (Vienna), so it wasn't *quite* as bad

M

livingminimal
03-30-2016, 09:02 AM
Cherry Blossoms or no, that is a really fun, picturesque ride. Had a blast doing it from the White House to Vernon and back last Summer early one morning. Will probably repeat it this July.

PaMtbRider
03-30-2016, 10:58 AM
I spent all day Monday at Mount Vernon. What a beautiful setting. I couldn't believe how crowded it was for a week day.

makoti
03-30-2016, 11:19 AM
I spent all day Monday at Mount Vernon. What a beautiful setting. I couldn't believe how crowded it was for a week day.

Wait until school lets out...

dbh
03-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Yes, done it with 23mm tires on my old fixed gear many many times. Rollers are a bit of a misnomer. The trail parallels the Potomac in its entirety. There are a few small undulations the trail follows in the riverbank, but nothing that requires getting out of the big ring.

livingminimal
03-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Yes, done it with 23mm tires on my old fixed gear many many times. Rollers are a bit of a misnomer. The trail parallels the Potomac in its entirety. There are a few small undulations the trail follows in the riverbank, but nothing that requires getting out of the big ring.

Haha, I bet that last one up to Mt Vernon around the bend at the end catches some people by surprise, as short as it is.

zap
03-30-2016, 11:48 AM

School is out.

PaMtbRider
03-30-2016, 11:55 AM

Bus loads of kids were there. Guessing they had a long Easter weekend.

palincss
03-30-2016, 02:19 PM
I don't go because of all the lookee-loos. Dangerous riding when everyone's craning their necks to look at the pretty trees.

My commute used to come south on Raoul Wallenberg and around the Tidal Basin to the bike trail over the 14th St. Bridge in front of the Jefferson Memorial. I called those folks "blossom-seeking cicadas". You could be standing there stationary straddling your bike and they will walk head on right into you. It was fun riding home getting a daily view of the cherry blossoms morning and evening, but I used to dread it nonetheless.

gmonster
03-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies! We're gonna do the ride, if we see a blossom that will be added bonus, but the ride itself seems to be the highlight.

BigDaddySmooth
03-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Riding in UT for 6 years really spoiled me. The MVT is decent at best with few nice stretches. The 1/2 mile "climb" at the Mt. Vernon end is a bit tricky coming down and there are sections were tree roots have affected the paving. Wooden bridges along the route too and there are usually a lot of dream weavers so pay attention. All in all, give it a try to say you did it. I wouldn't ever leave my ride unattended in that city:no: