PDA

View Full Version : Commuting bike

flydhest
03-29-2016, 08:13 PM
So, collective wisdom, here is my sitchy-ay-shun. Seven years ago, my wife and I became us. We bought a Giant hybrid for her. Getting her into cycling. She loved it. Started commuting to work. Started riding on weekends. My spot on a custom builder's list came up. I used it to get her a lugged steel road bike from a builder whose work we all respect. She loved it. She rode and rides ... some. Enough and with enough joy that the call was a good one. Plus, she gets my addiction. A month or two ago, her Giant got stolen. Damn. She has been commuting some (but not as often) on the road bike. So, I stop by the bike shop nearby that a buddy owns, where we bought the first one. Has it in her size. I get home and she says, "my road bike is so much more fun to ride. So much better. I don't know if I can go back to just a hybrid ."

What is the next step? I need (want?) to get her a commuting bike. She thinks she does not want a drop bar for commuting. Price matters, but not a lot.

adamhell
03-29-2016, 08:25 PM
you were born 7 years ago and are all ready married??

just kidding. you should get her a rivendell. sam hillborne, clementine, clem smith jr, cheviot, one of the non- $2000+ ones. that way she'd appreciate the quality of a lugged bike in a less-than-custom-expensive commuter. they have some in stock.

christian
03-29-2016, 08:32 PM
I'm sorry, what's the question?

Your wife wants a custom flat bar commuting bike. My advice is to buy your wife a custom flat bar commuting bike. Or a Rivendell. Or Cannondale Bad Boy 1.

Bradford
03-29-2016, 08:33 PM
I commute on my touring bike because I already had it, but if I were to start from scratch I'd get and IF Club Racer for commuting. It will ride more like a road bike but still be able to take wider tires, fenders, and a rack to carry in clothes and a laptop.

I'd build it with drops, I'd just get the front end up a little, but its her bike, buy the frame and put on some flat bars. You can build it anyway she likes.

Bonus...she gets to pick from many cool colors.

dave thompson
03-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Seth, I'll bet she likes her road bike because; its custom, it's from you, it's light, nimble and a lot of fun to ride. Mebbe you could set up a hybrid to mimic some of those qualities she likes or flat bar a bike into a commuter. Either would be a fun project for both of you.

93legendti
03-29-2016, 08:35 PM
How many miles is the commute? That would dictate my choices.

Your wife has told you she wants to ride a fun bike. I'd agree that a hybrid isn't fun.

If I was commuting, I would use my cross bike or Salsa Casseroll.

gasman
03-29-2016, 08:37 PM
My Co-Motion Demon has served me well for the last 9 years. It's not lugged but fillet brazed. Crashed it a bunch racing cross.

Lots of good choices off the shelf out there for a decent commuter.

Have fun !

Pelican
03-29-2016, 08:55 PM
How tall is your wife, or what size does she ride? How long is the commute and is it all paved street, some trail or paths? A high riding drop bar cross/gravel/all-rounder would be my suggestion. She would be more comfy for commuting while still getting some of the speed and handling of her road bike.

If her commute is more than 15 miles I'd suggest an ebike, but I'm biased.

flydhest
03-29-2016, 09:11 PM
She is 5'9". The commute is short, just under two miles (we are either spoiled with our commute or you realize we paid up for a house close in to get a short commute). Was thinking of a Velo Orange Pass Hunter. Will look at the Cannondale. I have to keep asking about drop bars. She hated the idea at first on her custom, now she loves the bike.

Of course, now I am thinking of going to the well of custom builders and asking one of them to build something. The kids are starting to ride and so a family-outing bike will be important.

Green10speed
03-29-2016, 09:15 PM
I've seen some amazing commuters made out of soma fabs cross bikes. My lbs has made some really really interesting commuters out of wolverine and double cross frames

seanile
03-29-2016, 09:20 PM
flat bar road bikes don't necessarily qualify as hybrids yanno.
build her a 1x10, DC is pretty perfect for such a rig.

Peter B
03-29-2016, 09:22 PM
<snip>

Plus, she gets my addiction.

Get her whatever she wants! :banana:

rounder
03-29-2016, 09:41 PM
Get her a Kelly Bedford bike. Tell her that she can have any color in the world. Tell her that it only comes in Campy.

fiamme red
03-29-2016, 09:55 PM
http://usa.hermes.com/house/sports/bicycle-1/m-flaneur-60951.html

http://media.hermes.com/media/catalog/product/import/7/701/7002/item/default/H2020037-63.jpg

Ken Robb
03-29-2016, 10:49 PM
you were born 7 years ago and are all ready married??

just kidding. you should get her a rivendell. sam hillborne, clementine, clem smith jr, cheviot, one of the non- $2000+ ones. that way she'd appreciate the quality of a lugged bike in a less-than-custom-expensive commuter. they have some in stock.

One of my Rivs is and Allrounder (similar to Atlantis) and I like it with Albatross bars. They can be ridden like flat bars but offer several more options for hand positions.

cinema
03-29-2016, 10:50 PM
just get a space horse. not in this years silver color see if you can get the blue or green.

giordana93
03-29-2016, 11:40 PM
Something with room for fatter tires, fenders and a clean rack mount, and let her decide dropped bars or not, and in a nice color. Tons of options. QBP has some nice house frames from all city. Maybe a cross rig or hydraulic discs?

DreaminJohn
03-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Have you checked the dumpster at your wife's work for the Giant? :D

The folks at Firefly make some really nice stuff.

Sounds like a fun project. Enjoy!

SlackMan
03-30-2016, 09:24 AM
...The commute is short, just under two miles...

With a commute <2 miles, I don't think the bike 'matters' very much in that one could ride almost anything for that short of a distance. Thus, I would not overthink this. Just get here something that she likes, but that would not make you cry if it were to get stolen again.

p nut
03-30-2016, 09:57 AM
Just hand her the credit card, and send her to a reputable shop, by herself.

benb
03-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Does she lock it up inside? All these uber expensive/custom options are terrible for a 2 mile commute, particularly if the bike isn't secured extremely well. A Firefly for commuting? Would you even get it this year?

ceolwulf
03-30-2016, 10:10 AM
Flat bar commuter with some performance, how about a BMC Alpenchallenge?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160330/c47767c8bc44c80a0d0ab88874ddbc71.jpg

marsh
03-30-2016, 10:15 AM
Maybe try a different bar setup on the hybrid, or more supple tires?
Most off the shelf hybrids come with crappy products in both areas.

Bob Ross
03-30-2016, 11:25 AM
~8 or 9 years ago I was looking for a N+1 bike that would do equal duty as both my foul weather/backup road bike and my commuter bike. After querying a handful of online cycling forums -- including this one -- I saw a surprising consensus in the answers, and so A) that's what I got, and B) that's the advice that I will now pay forward to you & your wife:

- find a Japanese lugged steel frame from the mid-1980s. Panasonic, Centurion, Bridgestone, Fuji, & Miyata were the names that came up most frequently. They're cheap, plentiful, indestructable, have clearance & braze-ons for fenders, are fun to ride, and can be built up with nearly any type/era/budget of componentry (so long as you don't mind quill stems).

Of course, if your budget allows for a custom bike, disregard everything I wrote. :)

hockeybike
03-30-2016, 12:38 PM
Something similar to a salsa casseroll would be ideal. Space for big tires, fenders, and a rack no problem. Have one that I bought used a while ago and absolutely love it. Has long horizontal drops so it can go single speed or geared with absolute ease, and it's steel so you can fiddle with rear wheels (within reason, of course).

The Marrakesh is the closest thing salsa makes to the casseroll, today, but it seems a bit over done: http://salsacycles.com/bikes/marrakesh

Regardless, fender/rack eyelets and clearance for big tires+fenders is the way to go. I used to have a 1.5ish mile commute in DC--rode a bianchi volpe with flat bars, fenders, a rack, and no gears. Absolutely loved it. The rack is key for DC summers -- minimizes the number of days where you've gotta bring a change of clothes due to your back being a sweaty mess.

stephenmarklay
03-30-2016, 12:51 PM
I think with above it would be great to know specifically what she like about the road bike vs hybrid and try to morph the commuter.

A lot fit. I set up my $50 Schwinn hybrid with lights, proper seat, tires, grips etc etc and I love that damn thing. Its now more like a $250 but I am not worried to leave it locked at the store.

p nut
03-30-2016, 01:23 PM
Something similar to a salsa casseroll would be ideal. Space for big tires, fenders, and a rack no problem. Have one that I bought used a while ago and absolutely love it. Has long horizontal drops so it can go single speed or geared with absolute ease, and it's steel so you can fiddle with rear wheels (within reason, of course).

The Marrakesh is the closest thing salsa makes to the casseroll, today, but it seems a bit over done: http://salsacycles.com/bikes/marrakesh

How about the Vaya? I think it would make an excellent commuter.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya

http://salsacycles.com/files/bikes/_carousel_thumbnail/VAYA_9_Carousel_1.jpg

flydhest
03-30-2016, 01:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I should have noted that the bike will also be the errand bike for the farmers' market and likely when we go for bike rides with the kids (I will likely be towing them both for a while in the xtracycle, but the 5-year-old is crushing her Cleary). She does not always lock it at work because the parking is inside, behind armed guards who know her and her bike. It got stolen at home in the back yard b/c we came home late, got the kids to bed, and there is a 7 foot fence all around and a roll up garage door. Someone must have jumped the fence. That mistake will not be replicated.

She is going to do more thinking about what she likes and doesn't like. She has no interest in going to a bike shop alone. She loves the way her Goodrich handles, accelerates, just the overall ride. Hard to argue.

I commute on a SOMA double cross. In my (twice removed) old job, it made for a good pun. I think something like that could work. I was also eyeing a Velo Orange Pass Hunter.

Vinci
03-30-2016, 02:18 PM
I'll be building up a Soma Wolverine here in the next couple weeks (the when frame finally arrives) to replace my current Cross Check for commuter duty.

I have only read good things about the Wolverine, but I can say for sure that the Cross Check is a really fun ride. Lots of accommodations for commuting gear. Can be single-speed or geared. Super comfortable with wide tires, yet doesn't feel very heavy (to me).

p nut
03-30-2016, 02:29 PM
...I think something like that could work. I was also eyeing a Velo Orange Pass Hunter.

I've read about some QC issues with some of the VO frames. I don't think it's prevalent, but something to watch for.

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to look at disc-equipped frames. I built my wife a Surly Disc Trucker for errands, rides with kids, etc. and she appreciates the extra power of the disc brakes vs. her old rim (caliper) brakes--especially in the rain.

dbh
03-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Biggest question is what her bike parking situation is like at work? Will she park on a public bike rack outside, something secured in a garage or perhaps a bike store room in her office? Seeing how her current bike was stolen, I'd hesitate to drop serious money on something that's going to get locked on a rack all day visible to passers by. Also, does she intend on commuting in year round in all weather or only when it's warm and dry? Fenders or no fenders? What sort of tire clearance does she want? Does she need a rack or carry her stuff on her back? There're plenty of options out there.

hockeybike
03-30-2016, 02:38 PM
Other question: new or used?

It seems like companies change their light-tourer/commuters very frequently, so what someone like me recommends from past experience (even recent past experience) may not be available today.

Drmojo
03-30-2016, 02:40 PM
Get her whatever she wants! :banana:

Yeah Rocky, you giving marital advice now:no:

p nut
03-30-2016, 02:49 PM
biggest question is what her bike parking situation is like at work? Will she park on a public bike rack outside, something secured in a garage or perhaps a bike store room in her office? Seeing how her current bike was stolen, i'd hesitate to drop serious money on something that's going to get locked on a rack all day visible to passers by...

...she does not always lock it at work because the parking is inside, behind armed guards who know her and her bike. It got stolen at home in the back yard b/c we came home late, got the kids to bed, and there is a 7 foot fence all around and a roll up garage door. Someone must have jumped the fence. That mistake will not be replicated...

:)

Rapid Tourist
03-30-2016, 03:28 PM
I've been commuting to work in the DC area for over 20 years. I find the best commuter bike is something that fits you great, but you don't care a whole lot about. Commuters get rained on, get dinged by others wherever you park it, and you ride it a lot so it doesn't get cleaned nearly enough, ever. It'll be dirty.

So go with something that you won't drop a huge amount of cash on, but will fit her well and will hold a rack and panniers. I see a lot of commuters on steel surlys. I ride an old steel cyclosross bike. She's right. Road bars work better.

gavingould
03-30-2016, 08:49 PM
i recently picked up a Twin Six Standard Rando as a commuter/etc bike. i went for a complete, but they sell as framesets and have full fenders available. i considered building it up single speed or as a 1x flatbar, but opted for their complete version (drop bars, 2x11)
so far so good, solid and comfortable, not as heavy as i'd anticipated.

bigbill
03-30-2016, 08:57 PM
I had two bikes that were/are great commuters. The first was a Soma Smoothie ES. It had good road manners, eyelets for fenders and a rack, used long reach calipers, and clearance for 28mm tires with fenders. It lasted 20 months and I broke it but I'm a big guy and was commuting through bad sections on Oahu. The next (replacement) was the Gunnar Crosshairs that I use for gravel now. It does everything the Soma did but with bigger tires and better handling. I commuted for several years and many thousands of miles on that bike in the PNW.

flydhest
05-01-2016, 11:16 AM
OK, here's an update and a question. The All City was the right geo. There was one here in DC in the right size. My wife rode it and loved it. Didn't seem to mind having to switch between the Campy on her Goodrich and the SRAM that the All City was built with. So we are good.

One question: Anyone with direct experience know what fenders work best with the All City? Caliper brakes. 28c tires on it. Advice welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

adamhell
05-02-2016, 01:20 AM
OK, here's an update and a question. The All City was the right geo. There was one here in DC in the right size. My wife rode it and loved it. Didn't seem to mind having to switch between the Campy on her Goodrich and the SRAM that the All City was built with. So we are good.

One question: Anyone with direct experience know what fenders work best with the All City? Caliper brakes. 28c tires on it. Advice welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i sold my old space horse to a friend who put handsome cycles black hammered fenders on it with 38c compass tires (barlow pass i think). rides & looks good.

benb
05-02-2016, 08:51 AM
i sold my old space horse to a friend who put handsome cycles black hammered fenders on it with 38c compass tires (barlow pass i think). rides & looks good.

Great setup I rode my Space Horse the last 2 days due to rain and I have 38c tires on it.. great setup but you sure don't need much air in those big tires.. I'm about 172lbs and I'm riding with like 37psi in the front tire & 45 in the back. If I go up to 45psi in the front the ride starts getting pretty nasty.

I did some dirt riding too.. the bike does great till you get to a rock garden or in my case yesterday dirt that was pockmarked with horse tracks. Those horse tracks are brutal.

bikinchris
05-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Here's a wrench in the works. SOMA Buena Vista with racks and decent parts like 1x11or internal gearing and medium wide tires and flat bars. Cute feminine and competent for the commute. Not expensive so you don't feel like you have to guard it with your life.