PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on handlebars?

merlinmurph
03-29-2016, 03:22 PM
I'm mentally putting the pieces together for a mixed-terrain bike and was wondering about handlebars. Honestly, I really haven't tried many at all and was looking for input.

I saw these Ritchey flared bars mentioned - any comments on them?
http://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-evomax-road-bar#gallery-image-3

Any comments on flared bars in general?

Thanks and enjoy your ride,
Murph

MattTuck
03-29-2016, 03:28 PM
I am generally pro handlebars. I find handling to be less than ideal without them.

Oh, you mean flared bars in particular? I haven't got anything for you.

p nut
03-29-2016, 05:44 PM
I'm not sure what % of various terrain mixture you'll have on your rides, but for me, I find just about any road handlebars to be ok for smoother dirt.

If you're talking singletrack mixed in, I like dirt drops, such as Salsa Woodchippers, Soma Junebug, etc. I also like them up nice and high, like they were designed.

dsimon
03-29-2016, 05:52 PM
the kind that work?:banana:

Cicli
03-29-2016, 05:55 PM
I run the Evomax on my road bikes and Cowchippers on the touring rig. I really like them both.

franswa
03-29-2016, 06:30 PM
Salsa cowbells

Ronsonic
03-29-2016, 06:35 PM
I had a set of Salsa Bell Laps that I couldn't get along with. Just too wide - too much leverage - made the bike feel twitchy. Don't know about those Ritcheys, they look less extreme than the Salsas I had.

Otherwise, flare is good, you should have plenty.

Ken Robb
03-29-2016, 06:40 PM
I like Nitto Noodles and Rivendells' Albatross by Nitto. The Albatross has been replaced by another Nitto with the design slightly tweaked by Grant Petersen. For the Albatross bars I like bar-end shifters. For Noodles I like both bar-end ergos, brifters, whatever you want to call them. MANY hand positions possible on the Albatross bars.

weisan
03-29-2016, 06:48 PM
Murphy pal, did you say mixed terrain?

Try the trekking bar. I have one installed on my adventure bike (read: ride anywhere I like, not at super fast pace, just having a good time) and very happy.

merlinmurph
03-30-2016, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I like handlebars, too. Tried a steering wheel once, a tiller another time, just didn't work.

I'm also considering the Salsa Cowbells which I think are similar to the Ritchey's I linked to.

As for riding, the bike is going to have 2 sets of disc wheels (off-road set geared 1:1) and will see mostly road riding. When it gets off-road, it's off-road, with lots of singletrack and non-maintained roads. Think novice mountain biking stuff.

I really haven't given handlebars much of a thought in a long time and am just looking for options.

Thnaks again,
Murph

gmcampy
03-30-2016, 09:13 AM
Salsa Wood chippers, or look at Jones Bar. Also depends on whether you shifters and brakes are ROAD or MOUNTAIN. The wood chippers accommodate a road groupo while the Jones would be better with mountain.....