PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried those new POC toe/shoe caps yet?

cash05458
03-29-2016, 09:20 AM
I just ordered a pair and wondered if anyone out here has tried these? Look like a fairly good and simple idea...https://rouleur.cc/journal/bicycles/poc-avip-toe-cap

ultraman6970
03-29-2016, 09:40 AM
Wow, i thought on that like 20 years ago but always wonder how cold they could be during the winter.

sparky33
03-29-2016, 09:44 AM
Interesting.
I wonder if they play nice with mtb soles too.

cash05458
03-29-2016, 09:45 AM
yes, I wonder as well Ultra...will give a shot and see how they work...the idea seems simple...I am wondering even under booties for winter and having to forego big winter footwear...who knows...anyhow, thought I would give a shot...should be good for rain tho I might think...somewhat...

oldpotatoe
03-29-2016, 09:47 AM
I just ordered a pair and wondered if anyone out here has tried these? Look like a fairly good and simple idea...https://rouleur.cc/journal/bicycles/poc-avip-toe-cap

Kinda like my Giordana 'toesers' I have had for like 15 years.

sitzmark
03-29-2016, 09:53 AM
No experience with the POC caps; however, functionally I don't see it.

There might be a reduction in the speed with which water penetrates the shoe, but given any substantial amount of rain or riding distance, only covering the toe/mid-foot area is futile. Not to mention significantly diminishing ventilation for pre- and post- wet conditions. As "wind caps" on cold windy days to reduce airflow through highly ventilated shoes - can see that.

Generally when riding in significantly wet conditions, water runs down my leg/shin and into my shoe. Heavy rain and it only takes a couple of minutes. Toes might stay drier a little longer but eventually water will reach the front - cap or no cap.

cash05458
03-29-2016, 09:54 AM
true Pete...thinking maybe these will keep out wind more...sorta half way between heavy booties or shoes...and keep your toes warmer and drier? anyhow, thought I would give a shot...

EDS
03-29-2016, 10:02 AM
true Pete...thinking maybe these will keep out wind more...sorta half way between heavy booties or shoes...and keep your toes warmer and drier? anyhow, thought I would give a shot...

Velotoze is another option for keeping feet dry. They definitely work better in that regard than any other bootie I have tried, though I definitely get some condensation inside.

tv_vt
03-29-2016, 10:03 AM
Jeez, toe warmers have been around for years. I've had thin neoprene and various cloth ones. The neoprene ones worked well. There was a cut out for the cleat and a little bit that wrapped around the back of the cleat to keep them on. Were thin enough to fit in booties.

David Tollefson
03-29-2016, 10:10 AM
I've had DeSoto Sport and Pearl Izumi toe covers for YEARS.

I love this line right at the top of the article: Who but POC Sports would imagine a silicone toe cap?

Uh, maybe VeloToze? You know, those guys who already produce and market them?

FlashUNC
03-29-2016, 10:15 AM
Craft makes some toe covers that work fine. I don't get the silicone thing myself.

cash05458
03-29-2016, 10:16 AM
ok guys...sorry...jeez...thought I might mention and ask...

wildboar
03-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Just get a couple of these and cut to size:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastrad-Orka-Plus-Oven-Mitt/dp/B004Z7636Y

Lots of good reviews.

AngryScientist
03-29-2016, 10:33 AM

why sorry - good point of discussion.

i think they're probably a good product for a certain set of conditions. i use neoprene toe covers a lot. if you have road shoes that ventilate a lot, than these are a good idea on cooler days to keep that airflow down and keep your toes from freezing. i think the neoprene ones work well enough to keep my feet drier when the roads are wet too. if it's pouring rain or whatever nothing really helps short of full fenders, but for damp conditions, toe covers to help. i'd be willing to try a pair.

oldpotatoe
03-29-2016, 03:12 PM

I think the gripe might be with POC, who think they have just 'found it', whatever 'it' is.

djg21
03-29-2016, 03:18 PM

I have some windstopper ones made by Pearl Izumi. They are nice when the temp is around 45-50, which is too warm for booties. They are not high-viz though.

ptourkin
03-29-2016, 03:47 PM

This is nothing like the grouchiness on here when the POC Octal came out. Multiple threads of ridicule. I know a bunch of us are wearing them now. I'm on my second.

Thanks for the post. I have a bunch of their stuff and it's all functional.

phutterman
03-29-2016, 04:08 PM
A full-foot one - like Velotoze but less tight/aero/fragile but as waterproof and as tight where it matters (at the ankle and around the cleat, I imagine) seems like it would be pretty ideal.

Probably wouldn't be able to pull it on in the same way, maybe a zipper at the back?

I like the idea of silicone for this, just not how little these are. I feel like when I'm cold enough to want shoe covers I just wear the oversock style unless it's very wet (and then it's Velotoze)

cash05458
04-11-2016, 01:52 PM
Just get a couple of these and cut to size:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastrad-Orka-Plus-Oven-Mitt/dp/B004Z7636Y

Lots of good reviews.

the day I try to stretch an oven mitt over my foot...well, I am done...think I will get something cut to size...
:crap: btw, they work very very well...really well...good product actually....

deechee
04-11-2016, 02:14 PM
They should be marketed as shoe protectors. I really scuff up the front of my shoes, I guess from stopping at lights with my toes on the ground instead of my heel...

rwsaunders
04-11-2016, 02:54 PM
The Crocs of toe covers.

dgauthier
04-12-2016, 02:02 AM
"Silicone is really healthy for the body...?"

"Perfectly, as it transpires...?"

"Talk of a “design language” can seem highfalutin...?"

Whatever the benefits of the product might be, they lost me with this J. Peterman writeup. Jeeeezzz Louise...

macaroon
04-12-2016, 03:43 AM
Toe covers are great; I've used them for quite some time.

However, they get damaged quite easily if you stop alot. The Velotoze one's a good, but only really work if you never stop, or are very careful when you put your foot down. Otherwise they tear easily.

I prefer neoprene ones as they're a bit more durable.

Those POC ones look ok, but they're way, way over priced. You could get about five sets of cheap neoprene ones for the same.

happycampyer
04-12-2016, 05:00 AM
"Silicone is really healthy for the body...?"

"Perfectly, as it transpires...?"

"Talk of a “design language” can seem highfalutin...?"

Whatever the benefits of the product might be, they lost me with this J. Peterman writeup. Jeeeezzz Louise...I looked at the date of the article to see if it was dated 01.04.16, but it was dated 15.01.16.

This is it for me:No experience with the POC caps; however, functionally I don't see it.

There might be a reduction in the speed with which water penetrates the shoe, but given any substantial amount of rain or riding distance, only covering the toe/mid-foot area is futile. Not to mention significantly diminishing ventilation for pre- and post- wet conditions. As "wind caps" on cold windy days to reduce airflow through highly ventilated shoes - can see that.

Generally when riding in significantly wet conditions, water runs down my leg/shin and into my shoe. Heavy rain and it only takes a couple of minutes. Toes might stay drier a little longer but eventually water will reach the front - cap or no cap.These covers would also make sense in a light rain or with wet roads after a rainstorm, since they would protect from the spray off of the front wheel. I could see buying them for that reason alone. Sort of like toe-cover galoshes.

oldpotatoe
04-12-2016, 06:04 AM
As an aside, good article in Rouleur about POC.

https://rouleur.cc/journal/bicycles/desire-poc-octal-helmet

druptight
04-12-2016, 07:25 AM
These covers would also make sense in a light rain or with wet roads after a rainstorm, since they would protect from the spray off of the front wheel. I could see buying them for that reason alone. Sort of like toe-cover galoshes.

I agree with this, for a ride where roads are wet when you start. People here are comparing with velotoze, but I don't see the similarity. Velotoze have no toughness to them and I've heard they rip through pretty easily, they're like latex gloves for your toes. These are thicker where your toe touches and look like they'd be stout and last the long term, and hold up against some roughness against the toe. I may give these a shot for my morning commutes.