PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

gasman
03-28-2016, 10:48 PM
A riding buddy just send me this. The crash happened yesterday.

I haven't found out much else.

Husky Cycling team members, supporters, alumni, friends and family,

Husky Cycling hosted its annual conference bike race this weekend for the Northwest Collegiate conference. With schools coming from all across the region to race we were all excited going into Saturday’s road race to try out the new road course. With the morning running just as smoothly as they always do the Men’s D’s, C’s and Women’s B’s were off. The races proceeded well, with the D field moving fast enough to catch the C field pretty early in the race.

During the first of two laps, a dropped rider from the OSU squad was involved in a crash that would ultimately take his life. Paramedics were on scene as quickly as possible and did everything they could. He was taken to Harborview Medical center to be with family and teammates. This is a sad moment for the Northwest Collegiate Cycling Conference and the whole of cycling as a sport. We lost one of our own on Saturday. Let us all take a moment for the family, friends and team members of the rider from the OSU cycling team. The mood on Saturday afternoon was nothing but somber for every person that was there. With heavy hearts, the racing was cancelled for the rest of the day.

Sunday began at Seward park in the rain with a wet course. Despite the OSU team having gone home, black and orange was present on nearly every jersey in the conference. Ribbons were worn in remembrance and out of respect. Every racer out there gave it their all and they deserve all the congratulations they can get.

Here's a link to the local article:

http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/osu-club-cyclist-dies-after-hitting-rail-in-race/article_2cfb340a-f00e-58b5-811f-4a3dfc72feca.html

velomonkey
03-28-2016, 10:51 PM
Uggggg. That made me sad to read.

stephenmarklay
03-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Thanks for posting this. I saw mention of the accident as well but not which school.

ultraman6970
03-29-2016, 12:04 AM
This sucks :(

54ny77
03-29-2016, 12:09 AM
a tragedy.

condolences to friends & family.

tumbler
03-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Horrible.

p nut
03-29-2016, 09:36 AM
40mph into a guardrail. :eek:

Prayers for his family, friends, and community.

ultraman6970
03-29-2016, 09:50 AM
The problem is not the speed, ask leipheimer a few years back, the problem is what happened, guard rails are pretty much smooth and you can slide over them or just fly over them if you crash them heads on. The thing is what happened, that can help a lot to a lot of people.

crashnburn
03-29-2016, 10:09 AM
Sad to read all these cycling-related deaths...
Condolences to the family, friends and teammates...

David Tollefson
03-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Saddened.

I'm really curious about where this happened.

AngryScientist
03-29-2016, 10:34 AM
it is sad. hard to read about this stuff, and it's hard not to put myself in the shoes of the folks who had to pin on a black ribbon and race the next day. very tough to lose a team mate, friend or family member. RIP.

fiamme red
03-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Saddened.

I'm really curious about where this happened.http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/oregon-man-killed-in-crash-during-race-near-black-diamond/

An Oregon man was killed when he hit a guardrail during a bicycle race Saturday near Flaming Geyser State Park, the King County Sheriff’s Office said.

The man was riding south on 218th Avenue Southeast near Southeast Green Valley Parkway in an organized race when he lost control of his bicycle and struck the guardrail, the Sheriff’s Office said.It happened somewhere around here: https://goo.gl/maps/6oCtXx32zK82.

David Tollefson
03-29-2016, 11:03 AM
I know that road. A good downhill (40+ is easy just coasting down that one), but there is NOTHING there in the way of turns. It's a very gently and widely sweeping right hand bend. Something had to happen that made him go off the road. Two lanes going up the hill, one going down.

http://i66.tinypic.com/34fm810.jpg

velomonkey
03-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Ugggg, read the article. Man, this just stinks.

I wonder if something occurred with him or another rider that he hit the guard rail? I often wonder about front clincher flats on downhills - I like to bomb decents and every time I go over 40mph my clinchers give me some pause.

No matter what the whole thing just sticks and is tragic.

William
03-29-2016, 09:13 PM
As an OSU Alum, and someone who raced for the OSU Cycling team this hits close to home. I did not know Mr. Fox, but I've followed the team online over the years and try to keep tabs on how they are doing. My condolences go out to the his teammates and family. Very sad indeed.

William